No announcement yet.

We sure do need another DT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with the consideration of the pending play of Warren and Thomas this year, if Thomas can even stay clean - defensive tackle is a need for next year. Defensive tackle is one of the hardest positions to translate to from college to the NFL, and the guys like Gordon, Burton and Harris went low or undrafted for a reason. Just because they fit the "bill" at defensive tackle, doesn't mean they can play.

Unlike a lot of people, I think Veal is a solid player. Those are solid numbers for a #3 or #4 defensive tackle. I guess I'm forgetting about McKinley, who could surprise here in Denver - but Denver could upgrade.

My guess is that we'll only keep four defensive tackles this year: Warren, Thomas, McKinley and Veal. Ekuban, and perhaps Crowder and Dumervil could move inside on pass rushing situations.

This next year in the draft is a gold mine for defensive tackles, and since we only have two first-day selections, I doubt it'll be addressed, but the talent is most definitely there.

Comment

DT is not set. Warren must step up his game. Thomas is not garunteed starting. and our DE's need to get to the QB with a good solid push from the inside.
      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
      While he sits by his hearth at home.
      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Personally I think Burton is gonna make a strong push for not only number 4 but number 3!
        Thomas will beat him out as well as Mckinely.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
          yea, we're fine at DT imo.
          Thats the first time Ive heard anyone say that all off-season, and damn is it refreshing

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by TheFuture6
            Thats the first time Ive heard anyone say that all off-season, and damn is it refreshing

A little too refreshing.

1) Warren is a solid starter

2)We don't even know if Thomas will pan out in the NFL, let alone this fall.

3)McKinley/Veal are rotation players, and that's it. They are solid with depth, but I don't expect either one of them to come out and surprise.

Denver is 1 injury short from being possibly the thinnest they have at Dline for a long while, and that's not a good thing.

I do think the DE position could possibly absorb some of the weakeness inside if they have a good camp, but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
              I'd like to be optimistic as the next person, but the chances of an undrafted DT ever becoming a starter in the NFL are almost nil.

Don't take my word for it. Look at the statistics on Football Outsiders: LINK

Unfortunately, Harris is not likely to make the team, and if he does he's unlikely to ever amount to anything.

I didn't say anything about him being a starter Cugel. The author of the thread said he would have liked for us get another DT. I simply pointed that this what Denver did. Whether he amounts to anything or not isn't at issue right now.
              Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

We don't need another DT. Warren and McKinley are the likely starters, unless Thomas turns out to be as good as advertised, in that case he will be the starter over McKinley. If I'm not mistaken, Shanahan mentioned Thomas as a potential starter this season. Shanahan has said that Burton and Gordon have a better chance of contributing this year because of the new system. There are currently 7 DTs on the team(Warren, McKinley, Thomas, Burton, Gordon, Harris, and Veal). Seven DTs is enough to go into training camp. Unless we are going to make a move for someone like Jenkins or Rogers, there's no reason to bring in another DT.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
                  We don't need another DT. Warren and McKinley are the likely starters, unless Thomas turns out to be as good as advertised, in that case he will be the starter over McKinley. If I'm not mistaken, Shanahan mentioned Thomas as a potential starter this season. Shanahan has said that Burton and Gordon have a better chance of contributing this year because of the new system. There are currently 7 DTs on the team(Warren, McKinley, Thomas, Burton, Gordon, Harris, and Veal). Seven DTs is enough to go into training camp. Unless we are going to make a move for someone like Jenkins or Rogers, there's no reason to bring in another DT.

With the Drafting of Thomas I don't see the need to bring in someone like Rogers or Jenkins until find out what kind of player he's going to be.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                    With the Drafting of Thomas I don't see the need to bring in someone like Rogers or Jenkins until find out what kind of player he's going to be.
                    I would bring in Jenkins or Rogers regardless of how good Thomas looks, if the opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't be running up the phone bill trying to make it happen, but if the Lions or the Panthers call, I would listen.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Grady Jackson

If Atl parts ways with Grady Jackson, I would love to have him come. Big, good, solid 2 down player. Then we can ease in Thomas in the Nickle with McKinley. After that, as has been stated, look for more depth next year.

Our only "proven" starter this year as of now is Warren, and he played so poorly he took a pay cut this year. Plus, coming out of Cleveland he mentioned numerous times that playing a 2-gap scheme is not his strength. Even if he plays solid (a big if), one injury and we have nothing proven behind him.

Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson! Grady Jackson!

Comment

I would bring in Jenkins or Rogers regardless of how good Thomas looks, if the opportunity presents itself. I wouldn't be running up the phone bill trying to make it happen, but if the Lions or the Panthers call, I would listen.
                        OK, I respect what you're saying but if we brought in Jenkins or Rogers then Shanahan waisted a 4th, 6th, and 7th round pick on a guy who grades out as a first round talent.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          OK, I respect what you're saying but if we brought in Jenkins or Rogers then Shanahan waisted a 4th, 6th, and 7th round pick on a guy who grades out as a first round talent.
                          Not necessarily, because if Thomas works out and you have Jenkins or Rogers, Warren becomes valuable trade bait next year. The 6th and 7th round picks really don't mean anything because Ted Sundquist has already said that they didn't believe anyone picked in those slots would have made the team anyway. The only thing that would put pressure on the coaching staff to start Thomas is the fact that they gave up next year's 3rd in the deal to get Minnesota's 4th round pick. Considering teams are willing to let QBs picked in the 1st round sit for a year, I think the Broncos could let Thomas come in as a back up for a year, if we had Jenkins or Rogers.
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

You Read My Mind!

THATS WHAT IM THINKING! I brought that up on the board the other day!
                            Everyone told me we adressed that on the 2nd day of the draft! BUT! Im not sold on that! The middle of the D-LINE has been A little weak for the past few years!
                            I think! anyway!

(GO!BABY!GO! STREET SENSE ! A TRUE KENTUCKY BRONCO! )

Comment

New system new guys. We will not know what positions we will need until next year to be honest. Burton may take to Bate's system like a fish to water. Same goes for all the other guys. I do think we have a good mix of guys fighting for playing time that it is not a huge need. We will keep 4 and maybe send Gordon or Burton back to the PS in case of injury.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Not necessarily, because if Thomas works out and you have Jenkins or Rogers, Warren becomes valuable trade bait next year. The 6th and 7th round picks really don't mean anything because Ted Sundquist has already said that they didn't believe anyone picked in those slots would have made the team anyway. The only thing that would put pressure on the coaching staff to start Thomas is the fact that they gave up next year's 3rd in the deal to get Minnesota's 4th round pick. Considering teams are willing to let QBs picked in the 1st round sit for a year, I think the Broncos could let Thomas come in as a back up for a year, if we had Jenkins or Rogers.

That makes sense, I'm not sure about cost but it makes sense.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                                X