Justin Gatlin update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Gatlin update.

Apparently the Bucs are talking to the Fastest Man Alive. There was some discussion of him last year after Kubiak brought him in for a look. Kubes liked his hands, and I think everyone likes a 9.77 100 meter time. I still don't think we really need a WR, at least not until Rod retires. However, for those who think we do, I really think this guy deserves a look.

For the record, it seems unclear he actually did anything wrong despite testing positive last year. And track isn't like the NFL; he's gone for several years, and the only way back is to keep testing clean, so I imagine he will. Another upside is with his history and time out of football, if anyone does get him they'll do it cheap; sign him to a minimum and let him justify earning more. Personally, I'd do just that if I was Gruden, but Chucky hasn't impressed me as a head coach, though he does know offense. Anyway...:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/TB/10167741
    SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

I think he's worth a look. Sure he doesn't have football experiance, but if he can catch, and just flat out, out run people, it would be an awesome advantage.

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

Comment

100 meters = 103.361 yards ... in 9.77 seconds!!!! WOW
      sigpic

Comment

How about Xavier Carter?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow
          I think he's worth a look. Sure he doesn't have football experiance, but if he can catch, and just flat out, out run people, it would be an awesome advantage.
          Isnt there some WC sprinter out there who didnt get busted for performance enhancing drugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Navin Johnson_
            How about Xavier Carter?
            Id rather have him.

Comment

9.77 100m Translates into a 3.907 40.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
                Except it doesnt work like that. When Ben Johnson ran his 9.79, they say he had a 4.38 at the 40 yard mark.

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                  Except it doesnt work like that. When Ben Johnson ran his 9.79, they say he had a 4.38 at the 40 yard mark.
                  No, but its still friggin' fast.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
                    Not necessarily, it may average out at that but he could be faster in the back half than the first or vice versa. Either way though, that is insanely fast

Comment

actaully i believe i heard on sportscenter like two- four months ago that he ran a 3.8 forty time, almost 95% sure thats what i heard im not gonna take the time and try and find it though

Comment

Originally posted by kerkhoff1
                        actaully i believe i heard on sportscenter like two- four months ago that he ran a 3.8 forty time, almost 95% sure thats what i heard im not gonna take the time and try and find it though
                        Who, Johnson or Gatlin?

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                          I have to call myself out here. I had heard the 4.38 but apparently that is incorrect (albeit from wikipedia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash

Excerpt:

However, many sprinters have run faster during the more frequent 100-meter races, including Ben Johnson during his world-record breaking 1988 100 meter dash (which was later annulled due to Johnson's steroid use), when he ran the first 60 meters in 6.33 seconds. [12] Johnson covered the first 40 meters in 4.53 seconds (or 4.66, if his reaction time of 0.13 seconds is included). It is often incorrectly reported that Johnson's first 40 yards was timed in 4.38 seconds. But based on Johnson's verified 40-meter time, his 40-yard running time (not including reaction time) actually was 4.24 seconds. At the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton, Maurice Greene had what is considered to be the fastest start ever. Green covered the first 40 meters in 4.51 seconds running time and matched Johnson's 60-meter time of 6.33 seconds. Despite running into a 0.2 mph headwind and pulling his quadriceps 60 meters into the race, Greene finished the 100 in 9.82 seconds. [13] He covered the first 40 yards of that race in 4.21 seconds, making it the fastest 40-yard dash ever recorded using fully electronic timing.

In track and field races, the runner must react to the starting gun, which can take 0.10 to 0.20 seconds. For electronically timed 40 yard dashes, the runner is allowed to start when he wishes, and a timer hand-starts the clock (after a reaction time of 0.1 to 0.2 seconds). This difference would indicate that, at peak form, Johnson would have been hand timed in 4.04 to 4.14 seconds, making

Comment

I'm always a bit of a skeptic of track runners transferring to the NFL. As a marathon runner, and someone interested in track, I can say that there is a difference between being able to run fast in running shorts, and being able to do the same in full football gear. I always grimace when I think of these thin as twig guys picked up from Olympic teams becoming -- say-- a kick or punt returner. Unless they trained by finishing their runs by running into a brick wall, the words that pop to mind is "injury prone."

Of course, I don't know enough about the guy or his situation to be able to judge. But unless we have room on our roster for gimmick players, or unless he's a much better football player than I'd think, I couldn't imagine him making the team.

Though could be good to pull someone like that into training camp as the Hester/ Ginn Jr. types become more popular around the NFL. I'm pretty happy with what it looks like we have on special teams, and I'm still interested in seeing if Hixon pans out as originally planned.
                            Always a Broncos fan.

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                              Id rather have him.

He gave up football to focus only on making the next couple olympics for track.

Comment

Working...
                              X