Justin Gatlin update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrunkPanda
    ya... i saw gatlin on pros vs joes and he was completely pwning this guy in the weight lifting competition. the guy was a muscular guy but gatlin beat him very easily. one dude said he ran marathons.... long distance runners are built very differently than sprinters. long distance runners are the ones that would be snapped like twigs in a football game, not that anyone would want a long distance runner on their football team anyway

Don't know..As long as he doesn't get broke in two we wouldn't have to take him out the game to rest.
    President Cool

Comment

From what I understand he actually played football at Tennessee his freshman year, but then quit to focus on track. To me that means he has some kind of hands and football experience. It's not like you're taking a track lifer and trying him out at WR. H ehas some experience.
      Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz79
        100 meters = 103.361 yards ... in 9.77 seconds!!!! WOW
        Sorry but 100 meters is 109.361 yards if my memory isn't failing me.
        Last edited by Dean; 05-09-2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I understand.

Originally posted by CSU_stat
          He may be the fastest thing on two legs down a straight track with no pads. But even if he maintains that speed on an in-game fly route, if he can't reliably catch the ball, he will NOT be affecting coverage. Harrison is a proven, elite receiver, and defenses MUST honor him or get torched all day long. If Gatlin can't make the catches (he must adjust to imperfect throws, screen out the DBs, potentially make sideline, toe-dragging snags, etc), then he'll get token coverage, and that will be enough.

I've used the same argument on Ted Ginn: speed is always a bonus, but there are MANY other factors that separate a fast person from an NFL receiver.

Sure, give him a tryout, but don't get too excited about Gatlin. Instead, get excited over a team that has already reloaded on offense, defense, and ST. Not much more needs to be done!
          What caught my eye, or at least, what held my attention, was when I first saw the NFL.com blurb on him working out with the Texans last year and Kubiak said he had "good hands". That's from a guy who coached Eddie Mac, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith. If he says the guy has good hands, I'm willing to take his word. My suspicion (and that's all it is) is that he hasn't played football since HS and never seen anything as complicated as an NFL receiver tree, so he probably doesn't run the smoothest routes in history. On the other hand, if he goes to enough tryouts, talks to enough coaches and wants to make a team, that can change. Imagine a guy with a 9.77 100m, good hands by Kubes estimation and crisp routes. I don't think we need another WR, but why would you NOT pay that $150,000/year...?
          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Been there.

But, yeah, goal line to end line in under ten seconds, plus hands; if he can learn routes I wouldn't mind having him. And he'd be a killer kick returner with any kind of blocking. I'd give him minimum with incentives if the Bucs don't grab him.
            Last edited by Morambar; 05-09-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks. It was a typo but its fixed, now.

Comment

Xavier (peewee) Carter went to the same high school as Reggie Nelson.....and me. Palm Bay High baby!!!
                New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar
                  But, yeah, goal line to end line in under ten seconds, plus hands; if he can learn routes I wouldn't mind having him. And he'd be a killer kick returner with any kind of blocking. I'd give him minimum with incentives if the Bucs don't grab him.
                  hEY! uh...cant help but notice that this thread is 3 pages long. So i read over the post really quickly and i really didnt see anywhere about Gatlin being a cheater and a liar!?
                  Does these attributes not bother any of you who would want him on the Broncos?
                  Just asking...

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1
                    hEY! uh...cant help but notice that this thread is 3 pages long. So i read over the post really quickly and i really didnt see anywhere about Gatlin being a cheater and a liar!?
                    Does these attributes not bother any of you who would want him on the Broncos?
                    Just asking...

Hmmm....well we did draft a couple of pot smokers, what's the difference?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 24SuperChamp
                      Hmmm....well we did draft a couple of pot smokers, what's the difference?
                      The difference i think is that they admitted to smoking pot. HUGE differance to LYING after getting caught. I mean once your caught, your caught. Does no good to coninue to lie about what you did wrong......right?
                      Also, i am not an expert on the world of Track and Field but, if an athlete like say Gatlin tested positive for Pot, would the governing body of T and F even care? It seems like they are only concerned with steriods and thats it!
                      My whole thought about Gatlin is not that he did steriods or heroin or pot or lysol...
                      My only thought is why would anyone want a LIAR on there favorite football team?

Here is part of an article on Marcus Thomas about how he went about dealing with what he did wrong (smoking pot)
                      http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin..._8149130.shtml
                      Since Nov. 1, Thomas has taken and passed weekly drug tests administered by a Jacksonville doctor, and Burnoski said he will release those results to any NFL team that asks. Burnoski also said Thomas is taking part in weekly counseling sessions with a local pastor and is being mentored by New York Jets wide receiver and former Ribault standout Laveranues Coles, who was dismissed from the Florida State football team in 1999 because of legal and academic problems.

Most importantly, Burnoski said, is that Thomas isn't avoiding the drug issue.

"If you lie one time, you've got to lie 32 times," Burnoski said. "The thing is, you've got a drug issue, and now you've got a courtesy issue, because [an NFL team official will say], 'This guy looks in my eye and lied to me. Now you're a liar, and you use drugs.' The best thing to do is be honest, get it all on the table and just move forward with it."
                      That's the approach Thomas and Burnoski have taken with the teams that have called: the Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins, Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears. Each team official asked the question.

"They've been at me hard, trying to see what's going on, why I had made the decisions I had made," said Thomas, who denied reports of a strained relationship with Florida coaches. "I just pretty much put it out there, let them know it's all in the past. ... All it did was make me a more mature person. I'm trying to let them feel me out and see the real me and not what's been written and what they see on TV."

Thomas also is making a guarantee to any team he speaks with: He won't use drugs again. To back that up, he's willing to submit to drug tests and tie his signing bonus or part of his salary to the results.

"We'll put it in writing," Burnoski said. "That's how confident we are. That's how we can tell you it's not going to happen again. We'll put our money where our mouth is, and if it does happen again, it's going to hurt us a lot worse than you."

Thomas will bring up all these issues during interviews with team officials during the combine, and what happens in those meetings might be much more important than workouts.

Those should be impressive. Thomas is consistently running the 40-yard dash in the 4.7-second range, and he bench-pressed 255 pounds 26 times - but the impression he makes likely will determine if he'll be a first-round pick or not.

Thomas said he would understand if he did drop to the lower rounds.

"I can't be mad at nobody but myself for putting myself in that situation, but that'd be a blessing if I'm in the first round," he said. "Once I get out there, I know I'm going to perform."

Comment

Here's Wiki on Gatlin:

"On July 29, 2006 Justin Gatlin told the media that he had been informed by the USADA that he had given a positive doping test in April the same year. [6] He did, however, claim his innocence in the matter: "I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorised anyone to administer such a substance to me."

"The substance that it is believed that Gatlin has being tested positive was 'testosterone or its precursor'. [7] The failed test was revealed after a relay race on April 22, 2006 in Lawrence, Kansas, USA. [8] The 'B' sample was confirmed as positive in July.

"Gatlin is coached by Trevor Graham. Among athletes Graham has coached, eight have tested positive or received bans for performance enhancing drugs. After Gatlin's failed test, Graham stated in an interview that Gatlin had been set up [9], [10] Specifically, he blamed massage therapist, Christopher Whetstine, for rubbing a creme with testosterone onto Gatlin without his knowledge. The therapist denied this claim, saying: 'Trevor Graham is not speaking on behalf of Justin Gatlin and the story about me is not true!'" [11]

"Gatlin had previously tested positive for amphetamine at the US junior championships at the University of Tennessee but the subsequent ban was not required to be served (though it remained upon the books) on the grounds that the substances were medication to combat attention deficit disorder [12].

"On August 22, 2006 Gatlin agreed to an eight year ban from track and field, avoiding a lifetime ban in exchange for his cooperation with the doping authorities, and because of the 'exceptional circumstances' surrounding his first positive drug test. [13] "
                        Personally, I think the culprit here is the coach, and his allegations someone ELSE snuck the stuff to Gatlin (but not Coach "I've gotten eight guys caught doping" ) only heighten my suspicions. Thing is, the only way this guy gets back into track (if he ever does) is by staying clean. And the first positive tests shows how tricky the tests themselves can be; just because you're positive doesn't mean you're doping. Anyway, if a guy like Merriman deserves a second chance I see no reason a much less expensive guy like Gatlin doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar
                          "On July 29, 2006 Justin Gatlin told the media that he had been informed by the USADA that he had given a positive doping test in April the same year. [6] He did, however, claim his innocence in the matter: "I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorised anyone to administer such a substance to me."

"The substance that it is believed that Gatlin has being tested positive was 'testosterone or its precursor'. [7] The failed test was revealed after a relay race on April 22, 2006 in Lawrence, Kansas, USA. [8] The 'B' sample was confirmed as positive in July.

"Gatlin is coached by Trevor Graham. Among athletes Graham has coached, eight have tested positive or received bans for performance enhancing drugs. After Gatlin's failed test, Graham stated in an interview that Gatlin had been set up [9], [10] Specifically, he blamed massage therapist, Christopher Whetstine, for rubbing a creme with testosterone onto Gatlin without his knowledge. The therapist denied this claim, saying: 'Trevor Graham is not speaking on behalf of Justin Gatlin and the story about me is not true!'" [11]

"Gatlin had previously tested positive for amphetamine at the US junior championships at the University of Tennessee but the subsequent ban was not required to be served (though it remained upon the books) on the grounds that the substances were medication to combat attention deficit disorder [12].

"On August 22, 2006 Gatlin agreed to an eight year ban from track and field, avoiding a lifetime ban in exchange for his cooperation with the doping authorities, and because of the 'exceptional circumstances' surrounding his first positive drug test. [13] "
                          Personally, I think the culprit here is the coach, and his allegations someone ELSE snuck the stuff to Gatlin (but not Coach "I've gotten eight guys caught doping" ) only heighten my suspicions. Thing is, the only way this guy gets back into track (if he ever does) is by staying clean. And the first positive tests shows how tricky the tests themselves can be; just because you're positive doesn't mean you're doping. Anyway, if a guy like Merriman deserves a second chance I see no reason a much less expensive guy like Gatlin doesn't.
                          Nice post. Yeah, i read up on Gatlin before i posted. I DID notice that his coach seems shady. Guy has been involved in WAAAY too many other doping issues. How is this guy still coaching!?!?!? He may be a huge part of the problem.
                          But Gatlin also has been busted a couple of times. Every time he has some real vague, "mer-roidman" kind of answer. "uh.. i didnt know about the massage therapist being crazy!" or some cheesy line . Its just a shame that in alot of sports the guys are flat out cheating according to the rules. If the rules said use steriods, then i could care less. I just find it curious that guys seem to be lying about it, but no one ever questions their ethics. Merriodman is a perfect example. Guy is a liar. Everyone knows it. All the more reason to root against the sparklers.

Comment

He's really only been tagged once.

The first time was for a prescription for his ADD, which is why it wasn't enforced. Personally, I think it's kind of sorry to leave it on the books anyway so you can hop up if he EVER tests positive again and say, "OK, that's two; life time ban!" They evidently did, too, but even eight years... that's a looooong time for a professional athlete; his days as the Fastest Man Alive may be behind him.

Personally, I suspect it's all about the coach (who has SEVEN other doped athletes). Remember, Gatlin hasn't accused the trainer of anything, at least according to the trainer: The coach did. I find it interesting the coach knows a way to get steroids into a players system without their knowledge; it would certainly explain Gatlins vehement denial. Might explain some of his other athletes positive tests, too. I'm inclined to agree with you; the coach is obviously a problem so why not ban him, too?

That's the kind of proactive approach that could do a lot of good in sports, sending players the message "no, when we say you don't even want to be AROUND this guy, we mean it". And I also feel that whatever ones opinion of "recreational" drugs, 'roids are different. Yeah, it was embarrassing for him, the team and the League when Irvin got caught with coke, but it didn't help win those three SB Rings. Certainly there were no HS (or Jr. HS) kids saying, "I'm gonna go find me a crack dealer so I can win a SB Ring like Michael Irvin!" And incidentally destroy your body, of course.

Comment

Imagine if a team takes this guy, and he becomes great at returns. That will make Miami's pick at 9 look so much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by omac
                                Imagine if a team takes this guy, and he becomes great at returns. That will make Miami's pick at 9 look so much worse.
                                Like Ron Brown for the Rams back in the 90s.

Comment

Working...
                                X