Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Clayton's: Big ?'s for AFC Teams

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2860110

So how much different will this Broncos defense be?
    Mike Shanahan surprised everyone by firing defensive coordinator Larry Coyer and replacing him with the talented Jim Bates. Equally surprising has been the overhaul in personnel. Middle linebacker Al Wilson was released. The Broncos also changed the focus of the defensive line, which had been filled with former Cleveland Browns. The Broncos drafted two linemen from Florida and acquired Dre' Bly to start at cornerback opposite Champ Bailey. Bates comes in with an aggressive style of coverage. He loves man-to-man and will have his corners in press coverage. Obviously, Shanahan wants more big plays coming from his defense.

... I think Bates will have an immediate impact this season...

Originally posted by DTownNative
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2860110

... I think Bates will have an immediate impact this season...

Just look at the draft. If Bates isn't on board, do you think Shanahan really makes those picks? This draft has Bates' fingerprints all over it, and that is a good thing!
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Originally posted by CSU_stat
      Just look at the draft. If Bates isn't on board, do you think Shanahan really makes those picks? This draft has Bates' fingerprints all over it, and that is a good thing!
      I 100% agree... Many are saying that Shanahan is the one who drafted Moss and Thomas, and although I think he saw the potential, I really think it was Bates who pushed for the former Gators. I am glad we hired a more aggressive defensive coach!

Comment

What I like about Bates is not just the impact that he can have on a defense right away but it is also that it stays that way. I was and still am incredibly stoked that we got him.

Comment

I think it was Shanahan's offensive mind that was pushing for CJ the whole time.

Lucky Bates talked some sense into him.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DTownNative
            I 100% agree... Many are saying that Shanahan is the one who drafted Moss and Thomas, and although I think he saw the potential, I really think it was Bates who pushed for the former Gators. I am glad we hired a more aggressive defensive coach!
            I just hope Bates sticks around. That's the concern. I want him to stay until we get a defense worthy of going to the big dance.

Comment

"Shanahan wants more big plays coming from his defense."

I find it ironic that Clayton would say Shanahan wants more big plays out of the defense when it was the offense last year who was almost anemic.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                "Shanahan wants more big plays coming from his defense."

I find it ironic that Clayton would say Shanahan wants more big plays out of the defense when it was the offense last year who was almost anemic.

Screw big plays from the defense: just force more 3-and-outs, and don't let the offense convert on 3rd and long. THEN let's see how many points the O puts on the board.

Not that I mind big plays, of course...
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

Comment

Screw big plays from the defense: just force more 3-and-outs, and don't let the offense convert on 3rd and long. THEN let's see how many points the O puts on the board.

I think my favorite thing is for our O to march down the field on an 7 min drive have the opposing team go 3 and out, then have our O go on another long scoring drive.

Rinse and Repeat...

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                  J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                  R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
                    I think my favorite thing is for our O to march down the field on an 7 min drive have the opposing team go 3 and out, then have our O go on another long scoring drive.

Rinse and Repeat...

I think my favorite thing is this combination:

-An offense that can get the tough yards, but is more than capable of quick, explosive strikes. Keeps the defense guessing, but regardless, the O can move the ball.

-A defense that can do a bit more than "bend, but don't break."

-And a Punter that can preserve field position.

Bueno!

Comment

I agree, but keep in mind that the Denver offense was amongs the NFL's worst with 3 and out drives.

I would be curious to where the offense/defense ranked in the NFL in 3 and outs.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                        I agree, but keep in mind that the Denver offense was amongs the NFL's worst with 3 and out drives.

I would be curious to where the offense/defense ranked in the NFL in 3 and outs.

I'm hoping a full year of Jay, plus Travis Henry, plus Daniel Graham means fewer 3-and-outs. If I had to guess, I'd say Denver was on the wrong end of both O and D 3-and outs...

Comment

I'm hoping a full year of Jay, plus Travis Henry, plus Daniel Graham means fewer 3-and-outs. If I had to guess, I'd say Denver was on the wrong end of both O and D 3-and outs...
                          Do you guys mean more 3 and outs caused by the Broncos defense?
                          I hope so, because the Broncos defense was on the field for what felt like FOREVER last year. It is no wonder soo many guys on D got injured last year. .
                          I attribute this in turn to Plummers 3 and outs which put the Defense right back out on the field. Jeez!!! Talk aboput frustrating!!! I remember the Balt. game.....i cant believe the Broncos won that game...all on defense! No thanks to Plummer almost screwing it up.
                          Largest factors to last years Defensive Woes
                          Coyer -fixed
                          NO D-LINE!! Fixed
                          Plummer 3 and outs! Fixed

*Question*
                          How great does it feel to know that the Broncos are going into the season without Plummer starting at QB?

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1
                            I hope so, because the Broncos defense was on the field for what felt like FOREVER last year. It is no wonder soo many guys on D got injured last year. .
                            I attribute this in turn to Plummers 3 and outs which put the Defense right back out on the field. Jeez!!! Talk aboput frustrating!!! I remember the Balt. game.....i cant believe the Broncos won that game...all on defense! No thanks to Plummer almost screwing it up.
                            Coyer -fixed
                            NO D-LINE!! Fixed

*Question*
                            How great does it feel to know that the Broncos are going into the season without Plummer starting at QB?

Second answer first: I actually liked Jake, and I wasn't happy to see his struggles. However, Jay has the potential to be a much better QB, and I'm excited to see what he can do.

Back on topic (sort of): If Bates works his voodoo, and the draft picks produce as hoped, then yes, I predict the defense will cause more 3-and-outs (or at least, very short drives.) And if the offense lives up to THEIR potential, it should mean fewer 3-and-outs for the offense. Such a combination would be most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1
                              Coyer -fixed
                              NO D-LINE!! Fixed

*Question*
                              well hopefully both sides are improved

as for plummer....its not so much that im happy he isnt starting as im happy our offense wont have to get one dimensional with cutler as it seemed to evolve into with plummer
                              sigpic
                              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                              X