Dwayne Slay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwayne Slay

Well alot of people are talking about the safety position as a real need as we all come down to mini camp and a new season. So i figured i would throw out a guy that was turning heads last year.
    he was realeased from the Chicago Bears last year after being picked up as a
    rookie free- agent. Not much playing time in Chicago with
    Adam Archuletta
    Mike Brown
    Tyler Everett
    Danieal Manning
    Brandon Mcgowan
    Kevin Payne
    Not to mention Vasher and Tillman could most likely play a little Safety if needed.
    It seems like Chicago's secondary is pretty much set.
    I dont know were he is now or if another teams signed him, but he has some serious skill and really hasnt had the opportunity to show it in Chicago.
    He would most likely be a SS, but he could give a guy like Lynch a break at times which would help him out at this point.
    Pros: HUGE hitter, a deadly tackler, great size, very athletic, can make plays, forces A LOT of fumbles.
    Cons: Will miss tackles going for the big hit, not very fast, needs to work on his coverage skills, inexperienced, only started 1 year.
    Draft Exchange Analysis:
    : Dwayne Slay isn’t the best safety in the draft, but is probably the biggest hitter in all of college football and does just what his name says – Slays. He is a HUGE hitter and forces fumbles regularly. He is a great safety in terms of tackling. However, Slay needs to improve upon his coverage skills and not be so risky. Whoever gets him is going to get a QB destroyer.
    Most Like: Sean Taylor (Washington Redskins)
    Best Fits: New England, Oakland, Denver Worst Fits: Houston, Dallas
    Anyways here are some highlight videos of this guy. He can HIT!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pPb1lD2dL8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwU4I...elated&search=
    apparently this is his kid (we should draft this guy right now!) Joking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7g5U1OMruI
    Last edited by socalorado1; 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM.

If he is still available the Broncos should bring him in for competition.
    Those are some nasty John Lynch style hits.

Comment

Those clips were great. Both hits had the players being helped off the field lol

Comment

I wanted this guy last year... I watched him demolish my alma mater (K-State). In fact, I believe Slay was awarded Big 12 Defensive POY at one point, of course college accolades don't mean much *cough*Eslinger... But this dude played outstanding football for Tech and was largely responsible for Tech's defensive success... Bring him in!

Comment

Damm What a hit

I want this guy Slay

Looks like Ronnie Lott

Comment

Originally posted by THEBIG_ZLewis
            I wanted this guy last year... I watched him demolish my alma mater (K-State). In fact, I believe Slay was awarded Big 12 Defensive POY at one point, of course college accolades don't mean much *cough*Eslinger... But this dude played outstanding football for Tech and was largely responsible for Tech's defensive success... Bring him in!
            I wanted him last year as well. Of course i wanted Ko Simpson or Roman Harper ahead of him and the Broncos went Offense instead! Which is good considering they got Cutler. I would of much rather drafted this guy than Hixon but oh well!
            This is all the info i have on him.......
            02/13/07 - S Dwayne Slay's practice squad contract with Chicago expired.
            11/25/06 - S Dwayne Slay was dropped from Chicago's practice squad.
            11/09/06 - S Dwayne Slay was signed to the Bears' practice squad.
            Dwayne Slay
            6'-3"
            215lbs
            Slay plays with a tough and aggressive attitude that is hard to find in safeties, and consistently has shown a willingness to come up quickly in run support to blow up running backs. Reads and reacts quickly to plays in front of him and has a much better closing burst to the ball carrier than you expect. When he keeps his knees bent, Slay keeps his feet underneath him and stays under control. A strong and violent tackler, but the trouble is that too often he goes for the big hit, leaves feet and misses tackle. He does not have the greatest athleticism and speed to make plays in man-to-man coverage and cannot help in deep coverage -- height and slight hip tightness hinders his ability to flip hips and go on deep balls. An instinctive player that has definitely shown a knack for making big plays in front of him. Overall, Slay is a player best acquired as a free agent because he can be a very good backup safety that will contribute in short-yardage run situations, fill in as a spot starter adequately, and will be a violent special teams coverage man in the NFL. STRONG POINT
            Slay is a very tough and physical safety who seems to enjoy coming up in run support and making big hits. He plays faster than his 40-yard dash time and has a very good closing burst to the ball to finish plays. He has sideline range against the run and makes plays outside and along the sideline. Reads the quarterback well on passes in front of him, breaks quickly on the ball and makes very hard hits on the receiver after the catch -- sometimes gets there in time to break up the pass with a very hard hit right as the ball arrives. Slay is such a hard hitter that he has shown a knack for causing fumbles. Has good hands to make interceptions when given the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1
              I wanted him last year as well. Of course i wanted Ko Simpson or Roman Harper ahead of him and the Broncos went Offense instead! Which is good considering they got Cutler. I would of much rather drafted this guy than Hixon but oh well!
              This is all the info i have on him.......
              02/13/07 - S Dwayne Slay's practice squad contract with Chicago expired.
              11/25/06 - S Dwayne Slay was dropped from Chicago's practice squad.
              11/09/06 - S Dwayne Slay was signed to the Bears' practice squad.
              Dwayne Slay
              6'-3"
              215lbs
              Slay plays with a tough and aggressive attitude that is hard to find in safeties, and consistently has shown a willingness to come up quickly in run support to blow up running backs. Reads and reacts quickly to plays in front of him and has a much better closing burst to the ball carrier than you expect. When he keeps his knees bent, Slay keeps his feet underneath him and stays under control. A strong and violent tackler, but the trouble is that too often he goes for the big hit, leaves feet and misses tackle. He does not have the greatest athleticism and speed to make plays in man-to-man coverage and cannot help in deep coverage -- height and slight hip tightness hinders his ability to flip hips and go on deep balls. An instinctive player that has definitely shown a knack for making big plays in front of him. Overall, Slay is a player best acquired as a free agent because he can be a very good backup safety that will contribute in short-yardage run situations, fill in as a spot starter adequately, and will be a violent special teams coverage man in the NFL. STRONG POINT
              Slay is a very tough and physical safety who seems to enjoy coming up in run support and making big hits. He plays faster than his 40-yard dash time and has a very good closing burst to the ball to finish plays. He has sideline range against the run and makes plays outside and along the sideline. Reads the quarterback well on passes in front of him, breaks quickly on the ball and makes very hard hits on the receiver after the catch -- sometimes gets there in time to break up the pass with a very hard hit right as the ball arrives. Slay is such a hard hitter that he has shown a knack for causing fumbles. Has good hands to make interceptions when given the chance.
              Good informative post! Looking at your post Slay seems like he could earn a spot on our special teams,that would make our team a lot stronger on kickoffs.I would love to see one of those big hits on an opposing return team.We definetely need to look into aquiring Slay

Comment

Dang those are some nice hits! Wouldn't mind that guy on our team at all

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
                  Good informative post! Looking at your post Slay seems like he could earn a spot on our special teams,that would make our team a lot stronger on kickoffs.I would love to see one of those big hits on an opposing return team.We definetely need to look into aquiring Slay
                  I think the reason he was dropped is simply becuase Chicago is loaded. Period. they just have alot of talent everywhere (except QB LOL!) and letting a guy that never really got going go, isnt going to really kill them.
                  I also like Slay because he is a good straight line hitter, BUT he can also play sideline to sideline, something deep in the RED ZONE the Broncos struggled when opposing teams ran the football at them. Remember LT just running off into the end zone like 3 freakin times in 1 game last year? Yeah!! Get a guy like Slay out there and that crap doesnt happen! Our smaller Safeties ( Cox Abdullah Brandon ect. ) cant come up and absolutely CRUSH RBs like LT or LJ. Only Lynch, and he cant do it all the time.
                  Imagine in the RED ZONE Bailey/Bly Lynch(FS) Brandon (BIG NICKEL) Slay (SS)
                  Maybe take out one of the LBs to have all 3 safeties in during specific plays.
                  Try running or throwing on that line up!

Comment

I love Dwayne Slay, we should deffinitly bring him in. From what I've seen he's got great instincts and tackling skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
                      Dang those are some nice hits! Wouldn't mind that guy on our team at all
                      Wow! I agree! We need the opponents recievers to flinch when they go up for a catch.

Comment

Ahhhoooohhh...leftovers again mom?!

Comment

Originally posted by THEBIG_ZLewis

Why such a knock on Eslinger? So he's in NFLE, guess what so was Hamilton and Pears and guess what they both did pretty well. The only reason Hamilton struggles is because he is 20 to 30 lbs lighter than DT's he faces in pass protection but he is an amazing run blocker. Eslinger in NFLE is only for reps and experience, he was on IR last year remember. If he was considered the best C in the big 10 and Mangold went infront of him that doesn't mean anything. Im sorry but you don't win best center two years in a row and best interior lineman by being a fluke. He is DB type center and I think he'll be the starting C for our offense when Nalen retires

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1
                            I think the reason he was dropped is simply becuase Chicago is loaded. Period. they just have alot of talent everywhere (except QB LOL!) and letting a guy that never really got going go, isnt going to really kill them.
                            I also like Slay because he is a good straight line hitter, BUT he can also play sideline to sideline, something deep in the RED ZONE the Broncos struggled when opposing teams ran the football at them. Remember LT just running off into the end zone like 3 freakin times in 1 game last year? Yeah!! Get a guy like Slay out there and that crap doesnt happen! Our smaller Safeties ( Cox Abdullah Brandon ect. ) cant come up and absolutely CRUSH RBs like LT or LJ. Only Lynch, and he cant do it all the time.
                            Imagine in the RED ZONE Bailey/Bly Lynch(FS) Brandon (BIG NICKEL) Slay (SS)
                            Maybe take out one of the LBs to have all 3 safeties in during specific plays.
                            Try running or throwing on that line up!
                            Chicagos lost could be our gain,I like what you said about lining Slay up at strong safety in the red zone,that would be awesome to have Slay back there with Lynch and Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by pipes
                              Ahhhoooohhh...leftovers again mom?!
                              Yep.

Slay is basically an unathletic, in-the-box, 2-down at-best-if-he-even-made-it-on-special teams player.

Comment

Working...
                              X