No announcement yet.

Rams DT Kennedy to help Broncos get bigger on defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this mean that our DT group will be Warren, Adams, Kennedy, McKinley, and Thomas? I can't imagine that the Broncos would trade for a guy they don't expect to make the team. They signed McKinley to a four year deal. They gave up a lot to get Thomas and Bates has already bestowed high praise in him. Adams is a perfect fit for the system. Warren still has a hefty contract. Of the five though, Warren is probably the closest to being cut, but I doubt that's in the plan either. It's really seeming like Shanahan is making an effort to give Bates the tools he needs to make his defense work. I'm really liking what they're doing this offseason. It would appear that Shanahan is pretty confidant in his offensive moves because he hasn't done anything on that side of the field since the draft. The only offensive selection in the draft being a LT that probably won't play until next year at the earliest. And the last two moves on defense have been for a couple of big boys to stuff the run, which appears to be the cornerstone of Bates defense. This is exciting. Woohooo!
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by GoBroncos84
      Without looking at the roster to get an official number, I know of at least one person you have left off. He probably won't make the team, but the undrafted rookie from Florida, Steven Harris, is also competing.
      Thank you, I thought I had everyone but apparently I didn't.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by D.J.55
        im not saying that he wont be cut, in all likely hood he will be, i saying that he has the size that we want our DTs. its just that im not sure if has the talent to be able to be part of the five or six DTs that we keep one the team.
        I know you're not. I was just trying to list them all out then pick out the ones that are the most likely to be cut. I did however forget Harris who was signed as a rookie free agent.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Shannys secret plan to simply put out 4 massive DTs is coming together! Why have speedy edge rushers when you can just have a 1400 lb. defensive line just through the opposing offensive lines?
          sigpic

Comment

Good pick up.Warren has injuries and Adams is coming back from an injury so adding another big 325 adds to the depth of the rotation.I would say Burton and Veal are definetley out.

Comment

Originally posted by broncofreak5624
              Thank You Dumervil is going to start he was our sack leader last year with 8.5

Maybe if he grows 6 inches....don't plan on it

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
                Good pick up.Warren has injuries and Adams is coming back from an injury so adding another big 325 adds to the depth of the rotation.I would say Burton and Veal are definetley out.
                Yes, and Engleberger too.

That leaves the following depth chart (assuming the Broncos keep 10 DL which I think is reasonable considering how they like to rotate them):

LDE -- Lang/Crowder
                LDT -- Adams/Kennedy/McKinley
                RDT -- Warren/Kennedy/Thomas
                RDE -- Ekuban/Dumervil/Moss

By late this season, you could see Thomas and/or Moss move up the depth chart.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

That leaves the following depth chart (assuming the Broncos keep 10 DL which I think is reasonable considering how they like to rotate them):

LDE -- Lang/Crowder

You think we are gonna keep Lang

I really think we will keep Engelburger for special teams,but their is no need for Lang. Moss,Crowder,and Dumervill can do what Lang can do.It will surprise me if Lang stays.You could be right though

Comment

I like how almost everyone is concerned about "starters". Here's what the real deal probably is/will be:

The Kennedy trade was more of a depth thing. The Broncos probably had him rated really high when he entered the draft and are hoping to find that 'special' player they saw back then. It's worth a 6th rounder.

More to the point D-Lines have rotations and ours will probably be this for DTs:

Obvious Running Downs: Warren and Adams
                    Unsure Downs: A 2 man combo of 2 of the following- Warren, Kennedy, Thomas, or Dumervil
                    Obvious Passing Downs: Dumerville and either Thomas or Warren

Unless a guy is a pure stud (which non of the Broncos DT currently are) then teams work on rotations. We'll do the same.

Comment

I TRUST BATES KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING I WILL NOT CHALLENGE HIS PUSH TO MAKE THE FRONT OFFICE GET THESE GUYS! REMEMBER HE IMPROVES EVERY DEFENSE HE HAS EVER WORKED WITH!!
                      GO
                      BRONCOS!!!!!
                      GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
                        You think we are gonna keep Lang

I really think we will keep Engelburger for special teams,but their is no need for Lang. Moss,Crowder,and Dumervill can do what Lang can do.It will surprise me if Lang stays.You could be right though
                        What?

Moss, Crowder and Dumervil start at LDE? Dumervil is 5'11, and has played RDE his entire short NFL career, and the others are rookies! No way does this happen!

Personally, I don't know why Lang isn't playing on the right side and Ekuban the left, which would mean Dumervil, Lang, Moss rotate at RDE to rush the passer, while Ekuban/Crowder do at LDE. That would make more sense to me, but Bates obviously knows what he's doing, so I leave it alone.

But, that means that Kenard Lang starts at LDE until further notice. I seriously doubt that they will cut him 1 year after signing him to a hefty FA contract. There would probably be a big cap hit for one thing.

I doubt they could even afford to cut him and accelerate all that signing bonus!

But, more to the point they don't have anyone else to start at his position!
                        Last edited by Cugel; 06-09-2007, 04:49 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

What?

Moss, Crowder and Dumervil start at LDE? Dumervil is 5'11, and has played RDE his entire short NFL career, and the others are rookies! No way does this happen!

Personally, I don't know why Lang isn't playing on the right side and Ekuban the left, which would mean Dumervil, Lang, Moss rotate at RDE to rush the passer, while Ekuban/Crowder do at LDE. That would make more sense to me, but Bates obviously knows what he's doing, so I leave it alone.

But, that means that Kenard Lang starts at LDE until further notice. I seriously doubt that they will cut him 1 year after signing him to a hefty FA contract. There would probably be a big cap hit for one thing.

I doubt they could even afford to cut him and accelerate all that signing bonus!

But, more to the point they don't have anyone else to start at his position!
                          Ekuban does play LE and Lang RE, despite what the site depth chart says, thats all that happened last season.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see Lang get the ax, he was brought in for rotational purposes last year alone for courtney brown, but when the big guy went down with another injury again, they shifted him to right end and put Ekuban at LE.

Don't believe me? Watch some tape from last year and look where Lang and Ekuban were lining up...
                          sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                          Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                            Ekuban does play LE and Lang RE, despite what the site depth chart says, thats all that happened last season.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see Lang get the ax, he was brought in for rotational purposes last year alone for courtney brown, but when the big guy went down with another injury again, they shifted him to right end and put Ekuban at LE.

Don't believe me? Watch some tape from last year and look where Lang and Ekuban were lining up...
                            Well, frankly that makes more sense to me anyway for Lang to play the right side.

But, he wasn't brought in for "rotational purposes" to spell Courtney Brown. Lang was signed after Shanahan made a big attempt to sign FA DE Andre Carter and failed. Lang was his second choice and he was signed to be a pass-rusher on a team that seriously lacked one. Dumervil was drafted to fill the same need and did. Both did reasonably well, but overall the DL sucked.

Tt still doesn't mean they can afford to cut Lang or want to. Unless they can eat the salary cap hit and plan on starting Ekuban and Dumervil or something then Lang stays, because a rookie like Crowder or Moss is not going to start (at least at the beginning of the season).
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, frankly that makes more sense to me anyway for Lang to play the right side.

But, he wasn't brought in for "rotational purposes" to spell Courtney Brown. Lang was signed after Shanahan made a big attempt to sign FA DE Andre Carter and failed. Lang was his second choice and he was signed to be a pass-rusher on a team that seriously lacked one. Dumervil was drafted to fill the same need and did. Both did reasonably well, but overall the DL sucked.

Tt still doesn't mean they can afford to cut Lang or want to. Unless they can eat the salary cap hit and plan on starting Ekuban and Dumervil or something then Lang stays, because a rookie like Crowder or Moss is not going to start (at least at the beginning of the season).

crowder may not start immediately, but i suspect that he will by mid-season at the latest. . . he was a four-year starter at a major college program, and is about as polished as a player can be coming into the NFL (and unlike moss, he looks to be big enough and strong enough for an every-down player, especially in bates' scheme which doesn't put a lot of pressure on the ends to stop the run). . . like lorcust, i expect ekuban to be back at LDE where he was last year, despite what it says on the makeshift depth chart right now-- but i also expect crowder to push him from the get-go. . . i think there's a strong chance that one of the three of engelberger, lang and ekuban will be cut before camp, with engelberger being the most likely to go and ekuban probably the least. . . .
                              Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

LDE -- Lang/Crowder

That rotation works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X