X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream
    replied
    Originally posted by dman444
    If we want to get a safety, we should look at Hefney out of Tennessee. If he has another good year he could move into the first round. He is somewhat small but he can roam and make interceptions and tackles both. Last year he had to make up for the strong safeties mistakes and can even play a shutdown corner type.
    I think Hefney, although small - would fit well in the Cover 2 role he'd play on this defense. He's a lot like Bob Sanders, he plays bigger than he is - but he if plays that hard consistently, injury troubles could happen. . .

Hefney could carry a first-round grade due to versatility.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler2007
    replied
    I really expect 4 QBs to go in the first round next year, which will be great because it pushes other talent down to the 32 pick

We have plenty of guys on the team that could shuffle our draft needs around:

DT - Warren, Kenndy, Thomas - If all three play well, we could resign Kennedy and be set at DT. I do expect Warren to rebound and play at least at the 2005 level (which was very good). If the other two do not impress but Adams plays well, I can see us going DT once again.

WR- Marshall and Hixon - I really think Hixon is going to have a great year and will be firmly set as our #3 WR by the end of the season. If both play well then we will have 3 young guys that should play with Cutler for the next 5 years.

LB- 3 or 4 guys will have a chance to grab the starting gig at Sam, If no one does, I think LB become a big 2008 priority (any dropoff from Gold makes it a no brainer).

S - Bates' sysstem does not need a stud Safety, but we will need to take one if Lynch and Fergy are gone.

Outside of that OT should be a priority as Lepsis and Meadows have 2 years left at most. That would leave Pears and Hartris starting and not much backing them up.

Leave a comment:

• dman444
    replied
    If we want to get a safety, we should look at Hefney out of Tennessee. If he has another good year he could move into the first round. He is somewhat small but he can roam and make interceptions and tackles both. Last year he had to make up for the strong safeties mistakes and can even play a shutdown corner type.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick Budris
    I really like OT this coming year. There is potential of having up to 6 OT's taken in the first. That is huge and a possibility of 2 going in top 3.
    I like it too, but I have around ten tackles who could carry first-round grades. It'll be a good year.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    I really like OT this coming year. There is potential of having up to 6 OT's taken in the first. That is huge and a possibility of 2 going in top 3.

Leave a comment:

• omac
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkana7
    I agree. Anyone watch him get plowed over by Tim Tebow, a QUARTERBACK in the National Championship?
    Tim Tebow plows over everyone; he's a pretty big guy who runs pretty determined north to south. He doesn't make people miss; he runs over them. Plus, defenses couldn't get a feel for him because he's only used in specialized situations when they need sure short yardage. 8 rushing TDs in limited use, his short yardage rushing was very effective.

Leave a comment:

• The Hamburgler
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkana7
    I agree. Anyone watch him get plowed over by Tim Tebow, a QUARTERBACK in the National Championship?

Not to mention a TRUE FRESHMAN

Leave a comment:

• Inkana7
    replied
    Originally posted by lex
    I think Laurinaitus is overrated. Also, did anyone watch Desean Jackson in that USC game? When USC banged him around a little bit, Jackson completely disappeared in the passing game. So he is basically a returner at this point and Im not sure I want a returner with the round 1 pick. I guess it all depends and it might work in that he can stretch the field but he needs to prove more as a receiver before Im sold on him as a 1st round pick.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    I think its easier to cover up a weak secondary with a strong pass rush than it is to cover up a weak pass rush with a great secondary.
    Especially if your weakness is the safeties and not the CB's. Great point!

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed
    I like Phillips. Just not over a need of greater premium, like a DE.

The Redskins took Landry, who I did like, over a greater need at DE. We'll see how that works out for them.

If Jamal Anderson turns into a stud DE and Landry turns into a stud S on a team with little or no pass rush, was that a good pick for them?

I know Anderson's stock was dropping a bit and that Landy is hands down the best safety in the draft, but we are playing "If's" here.

Btw, I just want to reiterate my original point that if the Broncos didn't conclusively fix their pass rush, then they could use a DE like Campbell ....
    I think its easier to cover up a weak secondary with a strong pass rush than it is to cover up a weak pass rush with a great secondary.

Leave a comment:

• LiquidBlue
    replied
    Todd Blythe should be over Douglas and Burton.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<
    John Lynch is not getting old...he IS old. As far as his game goes, well, he's just not very good in coverage. He lacks speed. I'd like a guy back in the secondary who can help Bly and Bailey cover their guys as well as covering slot receivers/TEs. Sam Brandon has shown this ability, but he has very limited starting experience.

The defense is a cohesive unit. D-line helps the secondary by applying pressure, the secondary helps the D-line by effectively covering receivers, and the linebackers can help in these areas too. They all work together. So yes, good safeties help the pass-rush, albeit indirectly.

If Denver takes an elite prospect like Phillips, it means they acknowledge the lack of talent at the position.

Teams really value playmaking safeties that can do it all as evinced by the Raiders taking Huff, the Bills taking Whitner, and the Redskins taking Landry - even when they just drafted Sean Taylor 3 years ago.
    I like Phillips. Just not over a need of greater premium, like a DE.

The Redskins took Landry, who I did like, over a greater need at DE. We'll see how that works out for them.

If Jamal Anderson turns into a stud DE and Landry turns into a stud S on a team with little or no pass rush, was that a good pick for them?

I know Anderson's stock was dropping a bit and that Landy is hands down the best safety in the draft, but we are playing "If's" here.

Btw, I just want to reiterate my original point that if the Broncos didn't conclusively fix their pass rush, then they could use a DE like Campbell ....

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    I'd love Phillips, but if he comes out - he's a top fifteen guy and we don't have the ammo right now to get him.

Leave a comment:

• D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed
    I don't know! I do see the need for finding the future starters, but to me, safety just isn't the position you place a premium on! Unless you just don't have that many holes to fill.

And what team drafting in a position to get an elite S like Kenny Phillips can say they don't have more important needs to address?

If Denver is in a position in the draft to take a Kenny Phillips, it's not because John Lynch is getting old.

And you don't improve your pass rush from the back to front, imo, ideally you improve your pass rush on the front line if your a 4-3 team.

John Lynch is not getting old...he IS old. As far as his game goes, well, he's just not very good in coverage. He lacks speed. I'd like a guy back in the secondary who can help Bly and Bailey cover their guys as well as covering slot receivers/TEs. Sam Brandon has shown this ability, but he has very limited starting experience.

The defense is a cohesive unit. D-line helps the secondary by applying pressure, the secondary helps the D-line by effectively covering receivers, and the linebackers can help in these areas too. They all work together. So yes, good safeties help the pass-rush, albeit indirectly.

If Denver takes an elite prospect like Phillips, it means they acknowledge the lack of talent at the position.

Teams really value playmaking safeties that can do it all as evinced by the Raiders taking Huff, the Bills taking Whitner, and the Redskins taking Landry - even when they just drafted Sean Taylor 3 years ago.
    Last edited by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05; 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<
    Actually, a good cover safety would help the pass rush by helping out in coverage to give the lineman more time to pressure the QB.

Why the safety fetish? John Lynch - 37 years old, Nick Ferguson - 34 years old. Although Lynch is decent, he is also very close to retirement. Can Ferguson stay healthy? Could Sam Brandon be an effective full-time starter? Are Hamza Abdullah/Curome Cox/Roderick Rogers worth waiting for (to develop)? Lot of questions at the safety position, to say the least.

I don't know! I do see the need for finding the future starters, but to me, safety just isn't the position you place a premium on! Unless you just don't have that many holes to fill.

And what team drafting in a position to get an elite S like Kenny Phillips can say they don't have more important needs to address?

If Denver is in a position in the draft to take a Kenny Phillips, it's not because John Lynch is getting old.

And you don't improve your pass rush from the back to front, imo, ideally you improve your pass rush on the front line if your a 4-3 team.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X