Top 5 Winners and Losers of the '07 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Winners and Losers of the '07 Offseason

now that the draft and the vast bulk of free agency is done, it seems like an appropriate time for this discussion. . . besides, there's really nothing else to talk about until TC starts. . . .

INITIAL DISCLAIMER: there's no doubt that the true losers of this offseason are the denver broncos and new england patriots, due to the tragic deaths of darrent williams, damien nash and marquise hill. . . but this thread isn't intended to cover such serious matters as life and death, only football. . . i have both of these teams listed as winners simply because i think the personnel moves that they made improved their teams-- i'm certainly not insensitive to the loss the organizations have suffered, but such loss can never be measured just by it's impact on the football field. . . i'm sure that most people would understand this intuitively, but i didn't want to leave it to chance. . . . with that said, on to the heart of the discussion. . .

WINNERS

DENVER BRONCOS: may as well start with the best. . . unlike the majority of posters who constantly downplay the importance of any player who departs denver, i feel that al wilson is a significant loss in the middle of our defense-- i am simply not convinced that dj williams has the instincts and play-recognition skills to excell at MIKE, regardless of his athletic ability (although i certainly hope he'll prove me wrong in a big way!). . . i also have some concerns about his ability to line up the defense correctly. . . still, we've made enough improvements in other areas that they should more than make up the difference-- and a greatly improved defensive line should help cover up potential mistakes by dj. . .

the additions of jarvis moss, marcus thomas and tim crowder should greatly improve the pass rush that has been the achilles heel of our defense for the past few years, and elvis dumervil should be even better with a year under his belt. . . upgrading our DT rotation with adams, kennedy and mckinley was also a wise move in a division with LT and larry johnson. . . our line is deeper and much, much more talented than the unit that faded badly down the stretch last year!

dre bly was another quality addition, one that gives us a group of corners as good as if not better than any other in the league. . . and obviously, the hiring of jim bates could prove to be huge. . . this defense started out like gangbusters last season, and promises to be far better this year once all the new pieces start to gel. . .

our offense looks to be even more improved. . . travis henry is the best runer we've had since CP, and is good enough to be the workhorse we've been looking for if he can stay healthy. . . getting matt lepsis back will be huge if he's at full strength, and i'm excited to see what myers, kuper and holland can do-- i'm also greatly relieved that we added another tackle with legit athleticism to play on the left side. . .

tony scheffler and brandon marshall should continue to improve, and brandon stokely was a solid pickup as well. . . we may have overpaid for dan graham, but he should give our running game a big boost, as well as providing another target for cutler. . . speaking of whom, i am truly excited to see what his talent can bring to our passing game! with all these new weapons, i think it's inevitable that our offense will be better than last year-- hopefully significantly better. . .

we now have one of the deeper and more balanced rosters in the league, and an absolute top-notch coaching staff to deploy them. . .

ST. LOUIS RAMS: quietly had a very good offseason. . . the rams did lose two quality slot receivers in kevin curtis and shaun macdonald, but they more than made up for it by adding a legit #2 in drew bennett-- although he doesn't stretch the field anymore, isaac bruce can work from the slot, and bennett is a great fit for scott linehan's balanced offense. . . the rams added another receiving threat with inconsistent but talented tight end randy mcmichael, who's never played with a QB as good as marc bulger. . .

brian leonard was an absolute steal in the 2nd round, and will help reduce steven jackson's workload and keep him fresh down the stretch. . . the creative linehan will find ways to take full advantage of leonard's impressive versatility-- the rams now have the best pair of backfield receivers in the league. . . leonard will also bring grit and work ethic to a unit that was previously perceived as a finesse offense. . . travis minor may also contribute as a 3rd-down back, if he can get on the field. . .

adam carriker was one of my favorite players in the draft, and will provide an immediate and much-needed infusion of toughness to one of the NFL's worst run defenses. . . the rams added a pair of veteran defenders who should help in that area as well with power end james hall and linebacker chris draft-- not flashy signings, but they fill needs. . . 3rd round corner jonathon wade is a project, but he can fly, and the rams need all the help they can get at CB. . .

linehan got some valuable experience last year, and the team should be much better in his second year as he has added a lot of necessary pieces. . .

ARIZONA CARDINALS: yea, yea-- every year people say the cards have really improved, but then they come out and stink it up like always. . . but this year, i really do believe that they've taken some steps in the right direction. . . ken whisenhunt and russ grimm were part of an extremely consistent organization in pittsburgh, and consistency and discipline are exactly what the cards have so desperately needed for so long-- i think these guys may have what it takes to turn it around where others have failed. . .

for one thing, the cards really do have some very valuable young building blocks to work with in elite players like larry fitzgerald, anquan boldin, adrian wilson and karlos dansby. . . it will also help a lot if bert berry can stay healthy this year. . .

penn state tackle levi brown should be a huge addition to an O-line that SORELY needed to get better and nastier. . . brown projects as a mauler in the run game, and has the toughness and huge wingspan to keep the pass rush off of matt leinart. . . former USC star deuce latui emerged down the stretch last year, and should combine with brown to develop into a formidable right side in short order-- AZ also added competent journeyman OLs mike gandy and al johnson, and reggie wells showed some flashes last year as well. . . russ grimm always had top lines in the 'burgh, and i look for the cards' line to be much improved by the end of this coming season. . . if that happens, the skill position talent is certainly in place for AZ to have a dangerous offense. . . they also added a solid fullback in terrelle smith, and edge should find a lot more running room this time around, especially with a top receiving corps to take the heat off. . .

alan branch may have dropped down draft boards due to questions about his motor, but if he's motivated there is no question that he has the talent to make a major impact in the middle of a very shaky D-line. . . look for 3rd round LB buster davis to play big despite his small stature. . . veteran eagles nickelback rod hood won't fix all the problems in AZ's secondary, but he's a reliable player who's a step in the right direction. . .

it will take time for whiz and grimm to get things sorted out, and the cards may not necessarily be all that much better THIS year. . . but i think they finally made the moves this offseason to get this franchise on track to respectability and competitiveness, and that makes them offseason winners in my eyes. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM.
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: yes, i am indeed as tired as everyone else of the way ESPiN and the national media have established a death-grip on the patsies' collective nutsack-- nonetheless, i try to be as honest and objective as possible, and in all fairness i can't write this thread without at least mentioning them. . . while i don't think their offseason was nearly as amazing as it's getting made out to be, there's no denying that they made some good moves. . .

i'm honestly not enamored with the slew of receivers they brought in, but there's no doubt it's an improvement from the crap they trotted out last year-- with a top QB, this group should be good enough to improve the passing game. . . obviously moss is a huge name who's been ultra-productive in the past, but he's also one of the sport's biggest malcontents, and i think his best days are behind him-- he also has a tendency to develop nagging injuries that really slow him down as the season wears on. . . still, the strong NE locker room and coaching staff should keep him at least partially in check in the beginning (ala corey dillon), and even if he never approaches his old production, he should put up much bettter numbers than his pathetic showing in chokeland. . . donte stallworth will be a legit deep threat for the 5-6 games that his hamstrings allow him to play. . .

i think they overpaid badly for wes welker, but he's a young player who fits their system perfectly, and also brings a lot of special teams value-- he should be a productive player for them for a long time. . . welker can't find the end zone with a flashlight and both hands, but he is a quality slot receiver who excells at the underneath routes-- his quickness and precise route-running will go very well with brady's accuracy. . .

letting old man dillon go will free up more carries for the exciting lawrence maroney, and veteran sammy morris helps replace the depth lost with the departure of dillon. . . TE kyle brady is a solid run blocker who will help ease the loss of dan graham. . . .

personally, i thought their draft sucked-- looks to me like merriweather and a bunch of stiffs. . . obviously getting a 1st rounder for next year drastically changes the draft grade in the long run, but it won't help them any this year. . . merriweather does add a badly-needed playmaker in the secondary, and he should help cover mistakes from a largely pedestrian group of corners-- and they will need every bit of help they can find if asante samuel does end up sitting out the first ten weeks of the season. . .

IMO, adalius thomas was without question the best addition of their offseason. . . he's amazingly versatile, and bellyache will move him all over the field-- it looks like a match made in defensive football heaven. . . the thomas signing may not have gotten the same press as that of the primadonna assclown moss, but thomas is a far more valuable player at this point in their respective careers, and is a major upgrade over the departed tully banta-cain. . . the pansies did fail to get younger or faster at ILB, though, and that may still come back to haunt them-- as i predicted, LT got to the edges at will against them, and the bolts should have won that game if dumbass martyball had kept feeding him the rock in the 2nd half. . .

i think the J-E-T-S improved over the offseason as well, but the pansies look to have done enough to stay on top of the AFC east for another year. . .

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers: gotta love what the niners did-- they really added a ton of talent to an extremely promising young core. . . it all starts with patrick willis-- after CJ and possibly AD, he was my favorite player in the draft. . . he's the type of player you can build a defense around, and his intangibles are every bit as impressive as his physical skills-- this guy is a warrior, and should be their defensive captain for the next decade or so. . . i think he has a great shot at becoming the best inside linebacker in the game within the next few years. . .

they overpaid for nate clements, but no doubt he's a big addition to a very suspect secondary-- adding him to walt harris and shawntae spencer turns a weakness into a strength. . . former eagles safety michael lewis was also added through free agency-- lewis is a big hitter with good athletic ability, but will have to rebound from a horrible year in philly if he's going to improve a weak back line. . . pass-rushing OLB tully banta-cain and nosetackle aubreyo franklin were added through FA as well-- neither is a big name, but they are competent vets who fit well with the defense, and fill holes. . .

the niners also did well in the middle rounds of the draft-- DE ray mcdonald slipped to the 3rd round due to injury concerns, and DE/OLB jay moore is a hard-nosed competitor. . . texas corner tarell brown could prove to be an absolute steal in the 5th round if he can stay out of trouble. . .

on the other side of the ball, the niners hopefully gave young QB alex smith the weapons he needs to realize his potential-- smith quietly underwent a vast improvement from his terrible rookie season, but was hindered by a lack of legitimate receiving threats. . . so, san fran went out and traded for darrell jackson, who is an adequate if not spectacular #1 WR-- if he can stay healthy, he's a moderate upgrade from the inconsistent antonio bryant (who is no longer on the roster). . . ashley lelie will give them a deep threat to stretch the field and free up running lanes for rising star frank gore, and WR jason hill was an excellent pickup in the 3rd round. . . getting vernon davis healthy will more than make up for letting oft-injured TE eric johnson go in free agency. . . san fran also traded back into the 1st round to grab a potential franchise left tackle with the amazingly athletic joe staley. . .

overall, the niners get my vote for the best offseason in the NFL. . . they may not have found as much IMMEDIATE help as denver or new england, but they should get a good bit of instant impact from willis and their FA class. . . more importantly, i think they had potentially the best draft of any team, and may have done more to help themselves in the long run than any other squad-- they addressed their most pressing questions, found some very nice fits, and added a LOT of young talent to their core group of players. . .

LOSERS

HOUSTON TEXANS: matt schaub may or may not be the real deal, but the texans certainly paid a hefty price for a QB withh all of about one career start. . . personally, i doubt he can do anything more than carr did behind a putrid O-line that isn't going to give him any time. . . and that is the real reason that i rate the texans as offseason losers-- they did NOTHING to improve that terrible line (except for drafting a project OT in the 5th round), which really surprised me. . . without improvement there, the team stands little chance of getting better, and once again they're relying on the same sorry scrubs who have stunk it up in the past-- the only guy i really like on their OL is charles spencer, and it still isn't known whether he can return to full strength from major offseason knee surgery. . .

ahman green should help the running game some, but he's got a LOT of wear on his tires, and is a 1-2 year solution at the absolute best. . . . houston didn't draft a single running back, either. . . they also cut eric moulds just one year after signing him, and they didn't add any veteran receivers-- once again, andre johnson will be their only legit WR, and will face constant double-teams. . . 3rd round WR jacoby jones is making the jump from division II, and probably won't contribute much this year. . .

on the other side of the ball, they similarly failed to add much in the way of impact players. . . none of their FA additions are more than journeymen, and i suspect that 1st round pick amobi okoye may be a few years away from making any major contributions-- maybe he and mario williams can spearhead a formidable DL in 2009. . . CB fred bennett wasn't a bad pick in the 3rd round, but he is a finesse player who needs to toughen up to succeed at the next level-- it's hard to imagine that he can provide enough help to a secondary that is devoid of quality players beyond dunta robinson. . .

overall, the texans just didn't do nearly enough to improve one of the league's weakest rosters-- it's likely that they'll be competing for the top pick in next year's draft. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

CHICAGO BEARS: da bears are already struggling with the curse of the super bowl loser. . . after making it all the way to the big dance, the team has been moving in reverse all offseason. . . for starters, the thomas jones trade made no sense to me, and it appears that the bears allowed him to force their hand. . . maybe cedric benson is ready to take over the starting job, but if he's a better option than jones, then why wasn't he starting last year? benson has shown some flashes, but jones has been the heart of that offense for the past few years-- i don't think they got enough in return for him, and i wonder how much money played into their decision. . . at least they have good depth with adrian peterson. . . midget garrett wolfe will be hard-pressed to contribute beyond special teams and the occasional reception out of the backfield, and was highly over-drafted in the 3rd round. . .

perhaps most importantly, they didn't bring in another QB to compete with the ultra-inconsistent rex grossman-- of course they still have griese, but he hardly looks like the answer to a broncos fan who has never been very impressed with him. . . greg olsen was a good pickup, but is he really enough to get their passing game going? muhsin muhammad seems to be in decline, and this team sorely needs some semblance of a #1 WR. . . . josh beekman is a questionable prospect, and they didn't do anything else to upgrade a rapidly aging offensive line. . .

the bears also took some hits to their bread-and-butter defense. . . for starters, they let highly regraded defensive coordinator ron rivera go for what look to be political reasons. . . they've also failed to find a solution to the lance briggs standoff, and seemingly the best they can hope for is that he'll play out this year under the franchise tag before departing-- we'll see if 3rd rounder michael okwo has the speed to take briggs' place at the crucial WILL position. . . the bears also lost both of their run-stopping DTs, ian scott and alphonso boone. . . worse yet, tank johnson got suspended for half of the season, and the bears can only hope that vet anthony adams can take up some of the slack until tank gets rolling again. . .

2nd round DE dan bazuin is a nice prospect, but looks more like a luxury pick-- even if the team trades alex brown, mark anderson is waiting to fill his starting spot. . . of course you can never have too many pass rushers, but the bears had many more pressing needs than another DE. . . for one thing, they failed to find a safety who can help when mike brown goes down with his inevitable midseason injury. . .

overall, the bears still have the talent to dominate their pitiful division if they can keep key starters healthy, but they took more steps backwards than forwards as far as i'm concerned-- no way did they do enough to get over the hump against any of the AFC's top teams unless grossman and cedric benson have tremendous breakout years. . .

ATLANTA FALCONS: it's a bit harder for me to place hotlanta in this category, as i liked their draft pretty well, but nonetheless here they are. . . obviously, the biggest reason is the continuing ron mexico controversy-- the falcons got a steal for schaub, but it might not look so hot if dj shockley is their starting QB on opening day. . .

i also think hiring bobby petrino was a dumb move-- we've seen how difficult it is for college coaches to transition to the NFL, and IMO petrino is already making the classic mistake of coming in and trying to force his system onto a roster that doesn't have the requisite talent in place, instead of adapting his system to suit the strength of his roster. . . his first priority is apparently to ditch the most productive running game in the league in favor of a power running game for which his current O-line is entirely unsuited. . .

the good news is that the falcons FINALLY found a true, reliable #1 receiver-- the bad news is that he's way past his prime and his body is starting to break down. . . valuable fullback justin griffith was let go and replaced by a lesser player, and warrick dunn is showing signs of wear and tear. . . young RB jerious norwood is the lone bright spot on O besides alge crumpler, and norwood doesn't fit petrino's beloved power running scheme. . . .

the falcons also had to give up on injury-prone MLB ed hartwell. . . they lost longtime defensive leader patrick kerney as well, although drafting jamaal anderson should more than make up the difference in pass rush, at least. . . the dirty birds failed to upgrade their weaknesses at either linebacker, safety, or defensive tackle. . . .

looks like too much turnover and turmoil in atlanta this year. . . even if "i'm sick of vick" manages to weasel his way out of trouble, it's unlikely that this team has enough to compete with new orleans and carolina. . . they appear to be moving towards a full-on rebuilding project. . .

NEW YORK GIANTS: the most obvious factor is that the G-men lost their best player, tiki barber-- he's been carrying their offense for the past few years, and keeping them competitive. . . brandon jacobs and reuben droughns isn't an awful backfield, but it's still a big step down. . . without barber, sheli manning is going to have to shoulder more of the offensive burden, and at this point he hardly looks capable. . . i don't blame the giants for ditching the fragile-as-glass luke petigout, but the problem is they don't seem to have anyone to replace him-- guard david deihl will slide out to tackle, but new york should have brought in another legit LT candidate in case he can't handle playing the toughest and most important position on the line. . .

WR steve smith was a solid pickup in the 2nd round, and should provide immediate help at the possesion reciever spot, where amani toomer is aging rapidly. . . with tim carter gone, sinorice moss will have to step up and help stretch the field from the slot-- he did nothing last year, so we'll see if he's capable. . . unfortunately for the giants, jeremey shockey and plexiglass burress surprisingly failed to magically transform into non-******bags over the offseason. . . the talent may be there, but lame-duck dictator tom coughlin and the whimpy sheli don't provide the leadership the O needs to be a cohesive unit. . .

on defense, new york abandoned the lavarr arrigton fiasco after only one year, and star DE michael strahan is coming off an injury-marred campaign. . . SAM LB carlos emmons also got the axe. . . the giants added solid but slow-footed kawika mitchell, but his best fit is MIKE, where antonio pierce is already entrenched. . . the giants will attempt to convert pass rushing DE mathias kiwanuka to OLB, but it seems to be a desperation move to me-- kiwi may be a solid OLB in a 3-4, but his most natural fit in the 4-3 is RDE, where new york already has the beastly osi umenyiora. . . DT jay alford may have been a reach in the 3rd round, but they'll likely expect him to contribute this year as their current rotation is pedestrian at best. . .

after losing barber, i just don't think this team did enough to keep pace with philly and dallas. . . they do have some quality talent in certain spots, but the squad seriously lacks leadership and mental toughness. . . the soap opera should continue for another year before a big-time coach like bill cowher is brought in to clean up the mess. . .
      Last edited by dogfish; 06-10-2007, 09:55 PM.

Comment

TENNESSEE TITANS: my "prize" for worst offseason in the NFL goes to the team in nashville. . . the titans really appeared to progress down the stretch last year, but any momentum they'd built has been lost over the offseason. . . clearly, pacman jones' off-field problems get the spotlight-- jones is one of two impact players on the titans defense, but he won't be this year after drawing a full year's suspension from the commish for general ******baggery. . . . jones will be missed as a return man as much as at cornerback, and his loss particularly hurts because the team doesn't look to have adequate replacements for him in either capacity. . . adding michael griffin to chris hope gives the titans a solid back line, but their corners are going to get killed-- kelly herndon is a stop-gap, nick harper is a system corner at best, and the rest of their guys are a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders. . . .

pacman wasn't the only impact player they lost, either-- they also managed to somehow let their best receiver AND their best running back walk! it was no surprise that they cut travis henry considering the unrealistic, mammoth roster bonus he was owed, but they failed to re-sign him-- henry carried their offense for stretches last year, and will be sorely missed. . . drew bennett was their only legit starting receiver, and they let him sign elsewhere as well. . .

IMO, drafting RB chris henry in the 2nd round was a stupid risk. . . i don't care what measureables he posted at the combine, this is still a guy whose college career included all of six starts and less than 1,000 total yards-- he rushed for a whopping 3.3 YPC in the freakin' PAC-10, explain to me again how he got drafted when there were guys like brian leonard, brandon jackson, tony hunt and antonio pittman still on the board? if nothing else, it serves as an admission that the team has already lost confidence in last year's 2nd rounder, lendale white. . .

vince young proved last year that he can find ways to scratch out wins. . . the team's goal going into the offseason should have been to surround him with as many weapons as possible-- instead, they got rid of his two best weapons, and now he'll have to rely on rookies like henry and 3rd round receiver paul williams, and youngsters like white and brandon jones who have been largely disappointing so far. . . with no noticeable improvements on either side of the ball, the pressure is going to be squarely on young to carry the team by himself-- young is an intense competitor who won't shrink from the challenge, but it's an awful lot to ask of a raw second-year QB. . .
        Last edited by dogfish; 06-10-2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
          HOUSTON TEXANS: matt schaub may or may not be the real deal, but the texans certainly paid a hefty price for a QB withh all of about one career start. . . personally, i doubt he can do anything more than carr did behind a putrid O-line that isn't going to give him any time. . . and that is the real reason that i rate the texans as offseason losers-- they did NOTHING to improve that terrible line (except for drafting a project OT in the 5th round), which really surprised me. . . without improvement there, the team stands little chance of getting better, and once again they're relying on the same sorry scrubs who have stunk it up in the past-- the only guy i really like on their OL is charles spencer, and it still isn't known whether he can return to full strength from major offseason knee surgery. . .

ahman green should help the running game some, but he's got a LOT of wear on his tires, and is a 1-2 year solution at the absolute best. . . . houston didn't draft a single running back, either. . . they also cut eric moulds just one year after signing him, and they didn't add any veteran receivers-- once again, andre johnson will be their only legit WR, and will face constant double-teams. . . 3rd round WR jacoby jones is making the jump from division II, and probably won't contribute much this year. . .

on the other side of the ball, they similarly failed to add much in the way of impact players. . . none of their FA additions are more than journeymen, and i suspect that 1st round pick amobi okoye may be a few years away from making any major contributions-- maybe he and mario williams can spearhead a formidable DL in 2009. . . CB fred bennett wasn't a bad pick in the 3rd round, but he is a finesse player who needs to toughen up to succeed at the next level-- it's hard to imagine that he can provide enough help to a secondary that is devoid of quality players beyond dunta robinson. . .

overall, the texans just didn't do nearly enough to improve one of the league's weakest rosters-- it's likely that they'll be competing for the top pick in next year's draft. . .
          I'm not sure how much Texans football you watched last year, and I'm not trying to doubt it. But the offensive line was a big improvement last year from the year before. It wasn't great but it was definitely improved. The reason the offense struggled was because David Carr mainly checked down. He was always looking to throw it to the running backs or tight end. I'm a huge Carr fan, but it's the truth. There were other offensive line pick ups that you didn't include, but no big deal. How often does Denver with their zone scheme draft o-linemen high? Don't expect the Texans to, I don't.

Ahman Green isn't expected to be the back of the future. He is, however, an immediate contributor and upgrade. Ron Dayne was injured for most of last season yet still produced had looked great in certain games. Not to mention that a rookie for last year, not Lundy, but Taylor showed flashes towards the end of the season. Honestly? I'm not that worried about the running back situation. And the Texans weren't the only ones interested in Schaub, which is why they gave up as much as they did. I think it'll work out. Again, I was a huge Carr supporter, still going to follow him in Carolina.

If you saw Eric Moulds play at all last year, then it was obvious the guy was out of gas. He made some key catches, but didn't play very consistant. As the season wore on Moulds only proved to the coaching staff he couldn't cut it. You also need to take into account that Jerome Matthis is just now returning from injury. A pro-bowl kick returner with deep speed and good hands. Andre Johnson won't be the only recieving threat. Owen Daniels was without a doubt the best rookie tight end last year even though most people over look him.

Also, Eric Winston looked decent last year, him and Spencer should be good for the future. Progress on his injury seems to be heading in the right direction. I'd also predict that Okoye is going to have a good season. Mario Williams was injured for a lot of the season too, expect him to be better. The Texans may not have made a big splash in the off season, but they definitely weren't a loser.
          Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.

It is men who endure toil and dare danger that achieve glorious deeds, and it is a wonderful thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwing
            I'm not sure how much Texans football you watched last year, and I'm not trying to doubt it. But the offensive line was a big improvement last year from the year before. It wasn't great but it was definitely improved. The reason the offense struggled was because David Carr mainly checked down. He was always looking to throw it to the running backs or tight end. I'm a huge Carr fan, but it's the truth. There were other offensive line pick ups that you didn't include, but no big deal. How often does Denver with their zone scheme draft o-linemen high? Don't expect the Texans to, I don't.

Ahman Green isn't expected to be the back of the future. He is, however, an immediate contributor and upgrade. Ron Dayne was injured for most of last season yet still produced had looked great in certain games. Not to mention that a rookie for last year, not Lundy, but Taylor showed flashes towards the end of the season. Honestly? I'm not that worried about the running back situation. And the Texans weren't the only ones interested in Schaub, which is why they gave up as much as they did. I think it'll work out. Again, I was a huge Carr supporter, still going to follow him in Carolina.

If you saw Eric Moulds play at all last year, then it was obvious the guy was out of gas. He made some key catches, but didn't play very consistant. As the season wore on Moulds only proved to the coaching staff he couldn't cut it. You also need to take into account that Jerome Matthis is just now returning from injury. A pro-bowl kick returner with deep speed and good hands. Andre Johnson won't be the only recieving threat. Owen Daniels was without a doubt the best rookie tight end last year even though most people over look him.

Also, Eric Winston looked decent last year, him and Spencer should be good for the future. Progress on his injury seems to be heading in the right direction. I'd also predict that Okoye is going to have a good season. Mario Williams was injured for a lot of the season too, expect him to be better. The Texans may not have made a big splash in the off season, but they definitely weren't a loser.

i had a feeling you wouldn't agree, but i gotta call it as i see it. . . . you do make some good points, and i gave you a CP for quality discussion. . . first off, i am not convinced that their O-line really improved much-- i will defer to you that you certainly watch a lot more texans football than i do, but that line still gave up 43 sacks. . . not AS bad as previous years, but still not good at all, and the number may have been higher if carr wasn't dumping the ball off as you mentioned. . . . i really hope that spencer can come back healthy-- he was one of my favorite players in the entire '06 draft, and i was highly jealous of houston for picking him up. . . still, i'm not willing to figure him into the equation until i actually see him on the field. . . in regards to winston, PFW's scouting report (the one i trust the most) says that due to his short arms he would be best-suited inside at guard. . . you're correct that they did do a better job of run-blocking, but it's their pass protection that i'm primarily suspicious of. . .

very good point about houston potentially finding solid OLs in the later rounds because of the ZBS, but we've seen here in denver that it often takes them several years to really learn the system and make an impact. . . obviously we can't judge the guys they added until they play (and that's true of higher picks as well, but you do tend to have higher expectations of them), but i will say that frye and studdard weren't guys who were high on my radar for the broncos. . .

we'll see if schaub works out or not-- i do believe that he has the talent, and kubes is a quality QB coach. . . but i personally just don't see enough weapons for him right now. . . i'm aware of daniels, and i meant that the team lacks another quality wide receiver, not receiving option (for that matter, green is a solid receiving option out of the backfield). . . i might be splitting hairs there, but i really think the texans desperately need another legitimate RECEIVER to take pressure off johnson, not just a good TE. . . i love jerome mathis as a kick returner, but IMO he is still quite raw as a receiver-- no doubt he has the TALENT to become that second threat, but the proven production isn't there yet. . . and i don't blame them at all for cutting moulds, i was just mentioning that it's a disappointment for a franchise that expected him to provide that second threat. . . maybe schaub can assemble these pieces into a solid aerila attack, but until he can i think the running game is going to face a LOT of stacked fronts. . .

ultimately, the NFL really does have by far the most parity of any major professional sports league. . . EVERY team has talent, and the gap between winners and losers is MUCH smaller than in other sports-- and can be closed much quicker! obviously this is all JMO, and we've seen many, many times that teams which were "supposed" to be bad can actually turn out to be quite good, and vice versa. . . still, i continue to feel that the texans roster generally lacks the depth and quality of the top teams, and that they will need EVERYTHING to go right for them if they are going to be competitive this season-- i just don't see many teams in the AFC that i think the texans are better than. . .

i'm a big fan of kubiak, and i want to see him do well as long as he's not playing against denver-- but it's my opinion that the team didn't do enough to make significant improvements this year. . . . only time will tell for sure. . . .

once again, thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Wow, Dogfish. You put a lot of thought into your thread. Great job!
              ...this defense started out like gangbusters last season, and promises to be far better this year once all the new pieces start to gel. . .
              I don't have time right now to give a good response so I'll focus on this one line. I think this defense is likely to do the exact opposite of last year's unit and start off very shaky but then end the year as one of the tops in the league.

We just might need the offense to be on a roll early to make up for the D's struggles until they get used to Bates and to each other. But if the offense can roll the whole year and the defense can come together by at least the halfway point then I really like our chances headed into the postseason.

Man, I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!!!!

(Oh yeah, I'm sick of hearing about those Patsies, too! )
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                Wow, Dogfish. You put a lot of thought into your thread. Great job!

I don't have time right now to give a good response so I'll focus on this one line. I think this defense is likely to do the exact opposite of last year's unit and start off very shaky but then end the year as one of the tops in the league.

We just might need the offense to be on a roll early to make up for the D's struggles until they get used to Bates and to each other. But if the offense can roll the whole year and the defense can come together by at least the halfway point then I really like our chances headed into the postseason.

Man, I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!!!!

(Oh yeah, I'm sick of hearing about those Patsies, too! )
                Well, it's usually the defense that gels before the offense......and from what I've read, the Bates system is very simple. Line up and attack. No gimmicks. No stunts.

I think that it'll look alot like early last season....with the D leading the team to wins....except THIS year, it will be for real.
                "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with the assessment of the Texans. I'm actually a Texans fan and I don't see much improvement.

Their oline was marginally better, but their pass blocking was still horrible, and with penetration allowed on virtually every snap, no QB can become comfortable enough to go through all their reads. They have an outstanding weapon in Johnson, and Carr was forced to get him the ball via WR screens, which didn;t exactly moved the offense, but provided Johnson with alot of receptions but only a 11.1 ypc.

I think it got to a point where they were smart to move on without Carr, because I think there was so much lack of confidence in him with the team that it affected his play, but I don't see SChaub doing any better this year. I personally think Schaub is incredibly overhyped and will not be the QB they hope, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                    Well, it's usually the defense that gels before the offense......and from what I've read, the Bates system is very simple. Line up and attack. No gimmicks. No stunts.

I think that it'll look alot like early last season....with the D leading the team to wins....except THIS year, it will be for real.
                    I hope you're right, RC. I think our offense will start off quicker this year, assuming Lepsis is fully recovered, and if our defense starts off well then we should be in good shape.

Whatever happens, I'm anxious to see all of our new toys in action. Henry, Graham, Bly, Thomas, Crowder, Moss, Adams, etc. It should be exciting if nothing else (although I hope it's much more than just exciting!).
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

First of all, wow, very nice post.

Second, it's very considerate of you to post the disclaimer, but I sure hope we all don't have to walk on eggshells everytime we post. It gets ridiculous that everytime someone says Denver is having a great offseason, someone will take offense and post about the deaths, when it's obvious he was only talking about football. The Broncos could win the superbowl, and when someone posts that this was a great year, some poster's gonna bring up the deaths again.

INITIAL DISCLAIMER: there's no doubt that the true losers of this offseason are the denver broncos and new england patriots, due to the tragic deaths of darrent williams, damien nash and marquise hill. . . but this thread isn't intended to cover such serious matters as life and death, only football. . . i have both of these teams listed as winners simply because i think the personnel moves that they made improved their teams-- i'm certainly not insensitive to the loss the organizations have suffered, but such loss can never be measured just by it's impact on the football field. . . i'm sure that most people would understand this intuitively, but i didn't want to leave it to chance. . . . with that said, on to the heart of the discussion. . .

Comment

Great stuff as usual Dogfish. :thumb:

In my honest opinion I think the Patriots had kind of mixed back of an offseason. Thomas was no doubt a great pick up for them but I think that the trades for Moss and Welker kind of take away some the good vibes of them getting Thomas.

With Welker its not that he's a malcontent like Moss but as pointed out they way over paid for guy who is at best 3rd receiver and a solid return specialist.

As mentioned Moss is a malcontent and I really don't have a lot of doubt that he will start pouting as soon as Brady isn't trying force feed him the ball and its known fact he takes plays off, has aversion to blocking on running plays and he doesn't like to go across the middle if I've heard correctly. I thinks that's recipe for distractions for the Patriots. Not that I mind but its just my take on it.
                        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          Great stuff as usual Dogfish. :thumb:

In my honest opinion I think the Patriots had kind of mixed back of an offseason. Thomas was no doubt a great pick up for them but I think that the trades for Moss and Welker kind of take away some the good vibes of them getting Thomas.

With Welker its not that he's a malcontent like Moss but as pointed out they way over paid for guy who is at best 3rd receiver and a solid return specialist.

As mentioned Moss is a malcontent and I really don't have a lot of doubt that he will start pouting as soon as Brady isn't trying force feed him the ball and its known fact he takes plays off, has aversion to blocking on running plays and he doesn't like to go across the middle if I've heard correctly. I thinks that's recipe for distractions for the Patriots. Not that I mind but its just my take on it.

TX, as much as i'd like to think that moss will fracture their locker room, i honestly don't see it happening. . . he was pretty subdued his first year in chokeland, and i'd think the honeymoon in NE will last at least that long. . . . he may not be very bright, but even he should be able to tell the difference between the two organizations. . . i doubt they'll put up with much junk from him. . . with all the new receivers they have, they can simply cut him if he starts running his mouth too much. . .

and whether they overpaid for welker or not, he's still a big upgrade from jokes like reche caldwell. . .

Comment

I must still be missing something, because I just can't see how the Texans are losers this off season.

The problem wasn't so much the Offensive line as it was David Carr. Carr didn't know how to release the ball before he got sacked, he was just scared of getting hit. Matt Schaub, EVEN IF HE TURNS OUT TO BE A FAILURE, has a very intriguing QB behind him; Sage Rosenfels(No not Drew Rosenhaus). It seems every single time I see this guy step into a game it is 3 TD passes. This guy is quietly one of the best backups in the NFL.

Yeah, I was sorta tired when I read your post. Disregard this whole paragraph. Misread a few words.
                            I also don't get how you say that Okoye will be a bust... That's just not fair for you to use that as a means to add to your argument that the off season was a failure. Any of the prospects in the draft could turn out to be a bust. Okoye was the BEST DT in the draft and it seems like the only place he is going to go in this league is up. The guy joins Mario Williams and that defensive line is only going to get better as a result of him being there. Not only does he take pressure off of Mario Williams, he takes pressure off of DeMeco Ryans. Drafting him was a great decision and it significantly improves their defense.

You're also forgetting this is a team that SWEPT the Jacksonville Jaguars last year. Not only will this team not be fighting for the last spot in the draft, they will be fighting for a PLAYOFF SPOT. This team has enough play makers on offense and on defense to take down any team in their division. Them beating the Colts last season was no fluke and they are going to prove it this year.

The Steelers are the real losers this off season. They let the heart and soul of their defense go, their coach is gone, and there is no way that their offense is anything special. No way Ben Roethlisburger gets any better now that his offensive coaches are gone. They are really screwed coming into this season and it looks like they've gone back farther than the Bears.
                            Last edited by UnderArmour; 06-12-2007, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
                              I must still be missing something, because I just can't see how the Texans are losers this off season.
                              they were bad last year, and IMO they didn't do nearly enough to get better-- thus, i consider them offseason losers. . . .

The problem wasn't so much the Offensive line as it was David Carr.
                              i disagree-- that line got him killed every year he was there-- maybe it's a "chicken and egg" kind of question, but i feel that the O-line's woeful performance drastically hindered carr's development. . . IMO it's tough to build much confidence when you're consistently getting hit in the teeth before you can finish your drop-- carr got sacked 40+ times every year, no wonder he was gun-shy by the end. . .

Matt Schaub, EVEN IF HE TURNS OUT TO BE A FAILURE, has a very intriguing QB behind him; Sage Rosenfels(No not Drew Rosenhaus). It seems every single time I see this guy step into a game it is 3 TD passes. This guy is quietly one of the best backups in the NFL.
                              rosencrantz has two starts in six years, and a career passer rating of 77.6-- maybe he has some potential, but right now i don't see anything to distinguish him from gildenstern, let alone any other backup in the league. . . his presence on the team certainly doesn't look to me like a good reason to not call the texans offseason losers. . .

I also don't get how you say that Okoye will be a bust... That's just not fair for you to use that as a means to add to your argument that the off season was a failure. Any of the prospects in the draft could turn out to be a bust.
                              i have NO idea what you're talking about here. . .

i never said a word about okoye being a bust! far from it, i think that he's likely to eventually develop into a good player. . . here's what i said about okoye, word for word:

i suspect that 1st round pick amobi okoye may be a few years away from making any major contributions-- maybe he and mario williams can spearhead a formidable DL in 2009. . .

Okoye was the BEST DT in the draft and it seems like the only place he is going to go in this league is up. The guy joins Mario Williams and that defensive line is only going to get better as a result of him being there. Not only does he take pressure off of Mario Williams, he takes pressure off of DeMeco Ryans. Drafting him was a great decision and it significantly improves their defense.
                              okoye is the youngest player to ever enter the NFL, at a position that places a premium on strength and toughness. . . he is not yet 20 years old, and his weight seems to fluctuate greatly-- he weighed in 15 pounds heavier at the combine than he did at the senior bowl. . . i believe that he's still growing into his body, and i DON'T believe that he is physically ready to compete with grown men in the NFL trenches, no matter how freakish his athleticism or how mature he may be emotionally and intellectually. . . i suspect that he's going to spend his first year or two getting pushed around, and that hardly makes the team any better. . .

You're also forgetting this is a team that SWEPT the Jacksonville Jaguars last year. Not only will this team not be fighting for the last spot in the draft, they will be fighting for a PLAYOFF SPOT. This team has enough play makers on offense and on defense to take down any team in their division. Them beating the Colts last season was no fluke and they are going to prove it this year.
                              fair point about them playing tough within their division, but it also wasn't a fluke that they lost ten games last year. . . i just don't see where they've gotten much better, and i will be amazed if they are in the hunt for the playoffs past october. . .

The Steelers are the real losers this off season. They let the heart and soul of their defense go, their coach is gone, and there is no way that their offense is anything special. No way Ben Roethlisburger gets any better now that his offensive coaches are gone. They are really screwed coming into this season and it looks like they've gone back farther than the Bears.
                              i'm more or less in agreement that the steelers rank as offseason losers, even though they didn't make my top five. . . no question that losing that much of your coaching staff hurts. . . i don't blame them for going with a youth movement at LB, though-- the scouting reports i've read say that porter's play dropped off considerably last year. . . he was also making a lot of noise about wanting a contract extension, and the new regime probably didn't want to deal with it-- or maybe mike tomlin is afraid of dogs. . . i think the combination of timmons and woodley should be able to replace his production on the field, and their D has plenty of veteran leadership with guys like casey hampton, james farrior, aaron smith and polamalu-- even if they don't run their mouths as much as porter. . .

we'll see if a healthy big ben can play better than he did last year (the emergence of santonio holmes should help), but even if he doesn't i think le beau's defense, with some fresh young legs, should be good enough to at least keep them competitive-- i also don't see where either baltimore or cincy really made enough drastic improvements to pull away. . .

i do think the steelers are longshots to make the playoffs, but it's also a bit harder for me to grade them as top losers right now-- they made a successful run two years ago, and now they have to rebuild a bit under a new regime. . . not exactly where they'd like to be, but sometimes some rebuilding can be inevitable after a super bowl run-- to me it's a little different than being a perennial loser that never gets above .500, and is rebuilding yet again. . .

i admit that i don't understand why they didn't give the job to whiz or grimm, and keep that continuity. . . maybe their FO felt that the team got lazy after their big win, and just wanted some fresh blood-- or maybe the politics of the rooney rule got the better of common sense. . . in any case, i still think they have some solid building blocks, and i look for young players like bryant mcfadden, anthony smith, heath miller and santonio holmes to increase their production this year. . .
                              Last edited by dogfish; 06-11-2007, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X