Top 5 Winners and Losers of the '07 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogfish
    TX, as much as i'd like to think that moss will fracture their locker room, i honestly don't see it happening. . . he was pretty subdued his first year in chokeland, and i'd think the honeymoon in NE will last at least that long. . . . he may not be very bright, but even he should be able to tell the difference between the two organizations. . . i doubt they'll put up with much junk from him. . . with all the new receivers they have, they can simply cut him if he starts running his mouth too much. . .

and whether they overpaid for welker or not, he's still a big upgrade from jokes like reche caldwell. . .
    Agreed! This is a salary drive for Moss. He has to play the game and keep his mouth shut for a year if he wants to continue to make huge $ in the NFL. He's on the verge of being branded as a locker-room poison -- a player who you can't hire, no matter how talented he is because he just causes instant off-field problems.

That would cost him his carerer. So, Moss has to play nice this year.

Look for him next year to break out with all sorts of complaints, but just like T.O. did with the Eagles, but this season I'd be amazed if he did anything but play his best to try and prove his critics wrong.

It means $ millions in lost wages if he doesn't.
    sigpic

Comment

I have to re-load my CP's, but this was a great outlook.

I think the best part about this draft, and one that's going unnoticed is how we got Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas for far less than what Patrick Kerney would have been getting. Where the Broncos added loads of talent to the defensive line, they did it at a cheap price, in comparison to what Kerney got. That's what I'm proud of - so for 4-5 years, we'll have young guys who will be playing for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
        I have to re-load my CP's, but this was a great outlook.

I think the best part about this draft, and one that's going unnoticed is how we got Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas for far less than what Patrick Kerney would have been getting. Where the Broncos added loads of talent to the defensive line, they did it at a cheap price, in comparison to what Kerney got. That's what I'm proud of - so for 4-5 years, we'll have young guys who will be playing for cheap.
        They all three could bust. I think we should wait and see if they can play at this level before proclaiming that they are the solution.

Not trying to be negative, just that every 1st day pick seems like they will be a solid contributor and only a third ever are.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
        J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
        R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007
          They all three could bust. I think we should wait and see if they can play at this level before proclaiming that they are the solution.

Not trying to be negative, just that every 1st day pick seems like they will be a solid contributor and only a third ever are.

true, but the point is that we made a serious effort to improve our biggest weakness-- and we did the heavy lifting the economical way, through the draft. . . of course we can come back later and review the wisdom of those decisions with the benefit of hindsight, but the point is that right now they look like good choices. . . . we did everything in our power to make our football team better-- both immediately and in the long run-- and that's not something that every team can say. . .

EDIT: if these comments didn't already convey my opinion, i agree completely dream! some of us have been hollering for years that the broncos need to invest some high draft picks in the defensive line, instead of constantly overpaying for scrubs and castoffs from other teams in free agency. . . we finally did just that, and it's way past time!
          Last edited by dogfish; 06-12-2007, 02:50 PM.
          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
            Agreed! This is a salary drive for Moss. He has to play the game and keep his mouth shut for a year if he wants to continue to make huge $ in the NFL. He's on the verge of being branded as a locker-room poison -- a player who you can't hire, no matter how talented he is because he just causes instant off-field problems.

That would cost him his carerer. So, Moss has to play nice this year.

Look for him next year to break out with all sorts of complaints, but just like T.O. did with the Eagles, but this season I'd be amazed if he did anything but play his best to try and prove his critics wrong.

It means $ millions in lost wages if he doesn't.
            I read a post on orangemanecontaining a url from a Boston newspaper. The entire article was about how Moss was going through everything at 3/4 speed. It also contained a quote from Randy to the effect that he wasn't going to change a thing from his days in Oakland. This brought an ear to ear grin to my face.

Come on Randy. You can underachieve with the best of them.

[url]http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1006060&format=&page=1
            Last edited by Dean; 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

and FA pickups can be busts too. Think Daryl Gardener. Kerney could be a bust in Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                I read a post on orangemanecontaining a url from a Boston newspaper. The entire article was about how Moss was going through everything at 3/4 speed. It also contained a quote from Randy to the effect that he wasn't going to change a thing from his days in Oakland. This brought an ear to ear grin to my face.

Come on Randy. You can underachieve with the best of them.

good for him! stick to your guns, randy. . . i like seeing that type of committment-- as long as it's on somebody else's team!

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Dogfish

I must say that your reasoning is pretty good for both winners and losers. I agree the Texans are in the losers category but not for the same reasons you say... Their OL is going to be molded in the form of the Bronco line and look how well our 1st round lineman from the 2003 draft did (he's on the Lions roster now), a line doesn't need to be made in the first round. I think Studdard will be agreat find for guard especially as a fifth/sixth round choice. Then you look at Winston and Spencer from last years third round picks and I see the line being a little more formitable. As far as Okoye being a bust... we dont know about that because DL are enigma's entering the NFL. I think they are losers because they have no number 2 WR who is ready to play day one and help Andre johnson out, their S corp is horrible and they have done very little to fix it, they have no real CB opposite Robinson, Ryans is their only good LB and their RB situation is very questionable.

Comment

Working...
                  X