Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nebraska OT in Supplemental Draft. Worth a look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska OT in Supplemental Draft. Worth a look?

His name is Chris Patrick. This article's old but this guy could be a player which is a rarity in the supplemental draft.

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/1187656/detail.html

No, he wasn't that great.

I'm a big Husker fan
    Go Huskers.

Comment

what is the sup. draft

Comment

Originally posted by konnorrollison
        what is the sup. draft
        I had no idea what it was either, so I looked it up.

From wikipedia:

Supplemental Draft
        In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003; thus, in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick.)

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his favorite team, the Cleveland Browns. They advised Kosar to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a recurrence of this incident.

As of 2006, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 34 players have been taken since the NFL instituted the Supplemental Draft in 1977.
        Last edited by sneakers; 06-25-2007, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Jared Gaither an O-tackle out of Mariland also declared. He is 6'9", plays around 350 pounds, and runs the fourty in 5.0 or under.

This year's supplimental appears to have more talent than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
            Jared Gaither an O-tackle out of Maryland also declared. He is 6'9", plays around 350 pounds, and runs the forty in 5.0 or under.

This year's supplemental appears to have more talent than usual.
            Dang, the guy is 350 lbs and runs a sub 5.0 forty. That's not bad.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Jared Gaither an O-tackle out of Mariland also declared. He is 6'9", plays around 350 pounds, and runs the fourty in 5.0 or under.

This year's supplimental appears to have more talent than usual.
              That guy is monstrous. Cutler couldn't see over him... or probably even around him.

Seriously, can you imagine a guy that big on Denver's offensive line? It's completely counter to the kind of guy that normally fits our system. The one time we went big, George Foster, he just couldn't seem to fit our scheme even though I think he'll do better elsewhere.

I think the more interesting possiblity in the supplemental draft, for the Broncos, would be Chris Patrick out of Nebraska. Some of you draft nuts might be able to give me more info but I read that he's a good pass protector that played both tackle spots in college but some scouts think he should switch to guard because of his "small" size. Well, 6' 4" and 296 lbs is fine for the Broncos, even though not most other teams. If he's got potential then he might be worth a late rounder in the sup. draft to try to develop behind Lepsis.

Just a thought...

--EDIT--

That's what I get for reading the thread in reverse. I see the original post was actually about Patrick. :doh:
              Last edited by Javalon; 06-25-2007, 05:44 AM.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Dean, I know Gaither was declared academically ineligible (as it was rumored for a long time) but where did he officially declare. I've talked to several people who thought that he could have been a top ten selection on pure talent alone had he came out this year. I'm not sure how great of a fit he is, but if this guy is floating around in the fourth round and we don't take a gamble, I think we'd be making a mistake. It's the same idea of drafting Marcus Thomas really, the reward is potentially greater than the risk. I'd seriously consider this.

Comment

I think the supplemental draft wouldnt be bad for us since we seem to be handing out next years draft picks like candy. There must be some reason why... possibly a very poor draft class.

Comment

No, this draft class is solid, way better than this past year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                      Dean, I know Gaither was declared academically ineligible (as it was rumored for a long time) but where did he officially declare. I've talked to several people who thought that he could have been a top ten selection on pure talent alone had he came out this year. I'm not sure how great of a fit he is, but if this guy is floating around in the fourth round and we don't take a gamble, I think we'd be making a mistake. It's the same idea of drafting Marcus Thomas really, the reward is potentially greater than the risk. I'd seriously consider this.
                      Thanks Dream. I went back and reread the Baltimore Sun article that I mistakenly thought the information was from. The article states that he thought out entering the 2007 draft not that he did enter it. Secondly his 40 yard time is 5.1 not 5.0.

Sorry for the misinformation. Maybe I have a career in government.

Comment

Thanks Dream. I went back and reread the Baltimore Sun article that I mistakenly thought the information was from. The article states that he thought out entering the 2007 draft not that he did enter it. Secondly his 40 yard time is 5.1 not 5.0.

Sorry for the misinformation. Maybe I have a career in government.
                        I dont think you are off base. he was declared inelgible this next season. he will go in the sup draft and probably go to baltimore in round one. it should be intresting to listen to it come july 13
                        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                        While he sits by his hearth at home.
                        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

6'4" 290lbs seems kind of small even for a broncos OT

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198
                            6'4" 290lbs seems kind of small even for a broncos OT
                            o.O Since when?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy
                              I dont think you are off base. he was declared inelgible this next season. he will go in the sup draft and probably go to baltimore in round one. it should be intresting to listen to it come july 13

Baltimore, or any other team for that matter, would be foolish to spend a 1st round pick on ANYBODY in the supplemental draft, including Gaither. He has the technique of an untrained monkey, and he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He is a project that is intriguing because he does have rare physical traits. But he is overrated for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X