Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Sign 4

BRONCOS SIGN FOUR FREE AGENTS FROM NFL EUROPA
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Monday signed four free agents who competed in NFL Europa during its 2007 season, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced. Denver signed guard Emmanuel Akah (Frankfurt Galaxy), cornerback Bill Alford (Frankfurt Galaxy), cornerback Kevin House (Cologne Centurions) and tackle Cliff Washburn (Hamburg Sea Devils).

As per club policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

Emmanuel Akah (6-foot-3, 330 pounds) is a first-year player who started all 11 games at left guard for Frankfurt in 2007, helping the Galaxy lead NFL Europa in scoring (25.4 ppg.) and advance to World Bowl XV. A native of London, Akah began his professional career in NFL Europa in 2006 and saw time with Rhein and Frankfurt that season. He signed with Miami on June 2, 2006, and competed in the Dolphins’ training camp before he was waived on Aug. 29. Akah played three seasons at Winston-Salem State University following one year of junior college football at State University of New York-Canton. A graduate of Tottenville High School in Staten Island, N.Y., Akah was born on Feb. 8, 1979, in London.

Bill Alford (5-foot-9, 183 pounds) is a first-year player who saw time in 10 games (6 starts) at cornerback for Frankfurt in 2007. He also competed for the Galaxy during its 2006 season, starting all 11 games for the club to help it win World Bowl XIV. Alford competed in Atlanta’s training camp during the 2006 season and was in Baltimore’s camp as a rookie in 2005 but spent both regular seasons out of the NFL. He played two years at Vanderbilt University, including a senior season in which he started 10 games, after transferring from Middle Georgia College. An all-state selection as a senior at Brunswick High School in Brunswick, Ga., Alford was born on Oct. 30, 1981.

Kevin House (6-foot-0, 185 pounds) is a fourth-year cornerback who earned All-NFL Europa honors as a 10-game starter for Cologne in 2007, helping the Centurions lead the league in scoring defense (17.2 ppg.). House, who spent the 2006 season out of the NFL, was on Seattle’s reserve/non-football injury list for the entire 2005 campaign after playing for Cologne in NFL Europa that spring. He saw time in 16 games (0 starts) for San Diego from 2002-03 and competed in the Chargers’ training camp in 2004 but was waived by the club on Aug. 31 of that year. House entered the NFL with New Orleans as a rookie free agent in 2002 after playing four seasons at the University of South Carolina, where he posted 135 career tackles. A graduate of Chamberlain High School in Tampa, Fla., House was born on Jan. 9, 1979, in St. Louis.

Cliff Washburn (6-foot-5, 305 pounds) is a first-year tackle who played 11 games (1 start) for Hamburg in 2007, helping the Sea Devils to a victory in World Bowl XV. Washburn, who also played for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europa in 2004 and ’05, saw time on the rosters of Dallas and Minnesota in the offseason leading up to the 2006 campaign but spent that regular season out of the NFL. He competed on Chicago’s practice squad during the 2003 and ’04 seasons after entering the NFL with the New York Giants as a college free agent on May 2, 2003. Washburn earned second-team All-Southern Conference honors in his only season of football at The Citadel after playing four years on its basketball team. A graduate of Shelby High School in Shelby, N.C., Washburn was born on Jan. 25, 1980.

ORANGE CRUSH!!!

Nothing really to get too excited about but here is an article on Kevin House.

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8343994

Comment

Here's a great picture of Emmanuel Akah....
      Denver Obsession
      www.BroncoTalk.net

Comment

ARTICLE on BILL ALFORD

FRANKFURT, Germany — Bill Alford knew when he graduated from Vanderbilt that NFL Europa would be his next destination if he was to have an opportunity to make an NFL roster.

Two seasons later, the cornerback hopes to add a second World Bowl ring to the one he won in 2006 when his Frankfurt Galaxy team takes on the Hamburg Sea Devils in the championship game today.

The next step in the process should be an invitation to an NFL training camp.

"I think it was tough for me coming out of college because if you've gone to a school that normally doesn't win too many games then people don't look as you as they would if you went to an Auburn or a Miami," said Alford, who played at Vandy in 2003 and 2004. "But once you get here in Europe, everybody is on the same level in terms of trying to showcase their ability and you have a chance."

Alford had two interceptions, 28 tackles and eight passes defended this season to add to the 34 tackles and four knockdowns he recorded in 2006. His intention was to work on the fundamentals of his game and the positive result has been interest from the Denver Broncos. Alford is confident he can win a roster spot this summer.

"I wanted to get more film and showcase my ability over here and try to improve my technique," he said. "I think this season I am more refined in my technique. I played well last season, but this time around my coverage skills in particular are improved.

"My strengths are that I am the complete cornerback. There is not one thing about my game that I can point to and say that I can't do it. I'm athletic, fast, quick, physical, and my biggest attribute is probably my knowledge of the game. Every coach I've ever played for has commented on how well I know the game."

Almost passed up chance

When the Galaxy run out to the deafening noise of an anticipated 50,000 fans at Frankfurt's Commerzbank Arena, Alford will be thankful he is in Germany and has the chance to play for another title. He almost stayed home this spring.

"I swayed back and forth, but then I decided that this would give me the best opportunity to get back into a camp," he said. "The more reps you have, the better your chances."

While the Galaxy will reply on the explosive passing game led by quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan and a top-ranked offense, Alford and the secondary will also have to be on their guard. Hamburg's firepower rests on the arm of former Wyoming quarterback Casey Bramlet, who has some solid receivers.

"I think both teams have good offenses, so whichever team's defense and special teams plays the best will win the game," he said. "Then you have to consider the impact our fans will have.

"A lot of the schools in the SEC have great fan support and they're loud, but the difference over here is that there could be 50,000 whistles being blown during the game, so it's incredibly loud.

"Also, because our fans have only five games a year, they go all out every game and have parties and set off fireworks and go crazy. They will be an advantage for us."
        FULL ARTICLE from the Tennessean.
        Denver Obsession
        www.BroncoTalk.net

Comment

Originally posted by denverobsession
          Here's a great picture of Emmanuel Akah....
          Well if he doesn't make the final roster, he could always be put on the cheerleading squad
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X