X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders add Darius

damn raiders...

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/a..._toprated.html

The Oakland Raiders bolstered their already top-rated pass defense on Tuesday, signing former Jaguars safety Donovin Darius. Darius, who was released from Jacksonville on June 14, spent his first nine NFL seasons with the Jags, appearing in 115 games. The 31-year-old will join rookie safety Michael Huff in Oakland next season, and vie for time with '06 starter Stuart Schweigert.

Commentary: The Oakland defense was the lone bright spot in a dim 2-14 campaign last season, and bringing in a veteran like Darius will only make it better. The former first-rounder is a proven veteran, and is now almost instantly the most experienced player in the Raider secondary. In nine seasons the Syracuse grad has posted 474 tackles, 14 interceptions and 35 passes defended, despite missing 14 games last year with a torn knee ligament.

"Donovin exemplifies hard work and dedication to the game," Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin commented. "Working with Donovin at Jacksonville, I was able to see what a phenomenal competitor he is. He will fit great into our team philosophy."

The signing will also likely signal the shift of soon-to-be-second-year safety Michael Huff from strong safety to free safety, and force Schweigert to compete at SS with Darius.

Fantasy Football Impact: Oakland's defense finished off the 2006 season tops in the NFL in pass defense and third overall in total defense. This season, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Darius will not only add more turnovers to the mix for Oakland but will also help to bolster a somewhat shaky rush defense. Expect the young Raider defense to show that 2006 was no fluke, but it shouldn't be difficult to grab the Oakland 'D' in the final few rounds of your league's draft.
    sigpic

Damn... I really wanted Darius over here...

Comment

Ouch Oaklands defenseis getting a tad scarey.

:offtopic: Whats up with darnell bing. is he still gonna play linebacker. doesnt sound like From my perspective have much intrest in him.. any raiders fan wanna share there thoughts.
      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
      While he sits by his hearth at home.
      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

pretty good sign for them.

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

for a moment i thought it was darius watts.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy

:offtopic: Whats up with darnell bing. is he still gonna play linebacker. doesnt sound like From my perspective have much intrest in him.. any raiders fan wanna share there thoughts.
            Bing will be put behind Donovin Darius at SS & maybe move Michael Huff behind B.J. Ward at FS.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
              Damn... I really wanted Darius over here...
              Looks to me as if Darius made the right choice & chose the Good Guys from the Dark Side

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy

I believe it was Shell's idea for Bing to bulk up and play LB. Since that regime is gone, Bing will go back to safety. They most likely fear that his lack of speed will get him burned at times.

I would venture to guess than Bing will be groomed to be Darius' successor. Bing does not have the speed that most would like at safety, but he is a hard hitter who should develop his tackling skills as he's in the learning mode. If he plays higher than expectations, he could probably unseat DD in the near future given Darius' age.

I like the depth more than anything else. Hopefully Bing & others will stand out and make a name for themselves and give the coaches tough decisions on who to sit when others excell.

Comment

My father says bad luck comes in three's.

Darius has been injured the past two years.... can a third time be coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Raider
                    Michael Huff behind B.J. Ward at FS.
                    Whaaaa.........

No way Huff isn't a starter considering where he was drafted and the rookie year he had.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn
                      I believe it was Shell's idea for Bing to bulk up and play LB. Since that regime is gone, Bing will go back to safety. They most likely fear that his lack of speed will get him burned at times.

I would venture to guess than Bing will be groomed to be Darius' successor. Bing does not have the speed that most would like at safety, but he is a hard hitter who should develop his tackling skills as he's in the learning mode. If he plays higher than expectations, he could probably unseat DD in the near future given Darius' age.

I like the depth more than anything else. Hopefully Bing & others will stand out and make a name for themselves and give the coaches tough decisions on who to sit when others excell.
                      Uh 1st Huff will start...if he doesnt after last year, then greasy al is truly off his rocker.
                      2nd Bing is injury prone and LB is alot to handle. Plus the fade have some pretty good LBs last i checked. I dont think he can handle the load at that position. Sorry but i dont see Bing ever working out for ya. The fade took a chance with him, we will just have to see. guy was always injured at USC.
                      3rd Darius is a great fit becuase hes a "team" guy and a vet. Thats why this move is bad for the rest of us AFCWEST fans. Not so much that he could make an impact on the field but his locker room presence is real good. Darius is getting up there and he has had some major injuries so i am not worried, but he will be able to teach those young guys a thing or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X