Thomas signs with Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas signs with Broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Among 2007 draft picks and signed contracts, the last shall be first.

Wednesday morning, the Broncos announced that defensive tackle Marcus Thomas signed with the club. Terms were undisclosed for the deal with the fourth-round pick.

The Broncos made waves when they acquired Thomas, sending their sixth- and seventh-round selections in this year's draft and a 2008 third-rounder to the Minnesota Vikings in order to acquire him.

Some observers considered the price for the selection steep, a notion with which Head Coach Mike Shanahan and General Manager Ted Sundquist disagreed.

"Not if you had him graded as a first-round pick," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said just after making the swap and selection on April 29. "It's a steep price if he's not with our program in two weeks. Then it's a steep price."

""The 'steep price to pay' thing, once again, I'm baffled by, 'Why?'" Sundquist said in May. "It's too steep of a price if we end up picking in the top five of each round. But when has that happened in the life of most of our fans?

"To me, when you identify a player that you feel like can come in and contribute to your football team now, I'm not going to sit and wait and say, 'It's too steep a price,' because there's this fictional ghost player in the third round next year that we could take -- and no one knows who that player would be."

Thomas was dismissed from Florida's football program last November after a pair of positive drug tests. He spent the months that followed trying to convince NFL teams that such missteps would not happen again.

"When I talked about it, it was like going to court every day," Thomas said in April. "Denver and Tennessee were the only two teams that were going to give me a second chance. I talked to the coaches at Denver, and they told me that they would be willing to give me a second chance. I made a good story out of it, and now I am trying to live happily ever after."

But Shanahan emphasized after selecting Thomas that there would be no room for error.

"There is no second chance," Shanahan said on April 29.

"We talked about taking an educated gamble. You have to sit down with the player, and that player has to understand what the rules and regulations are and what the organization's all about. If they do make a mistake, then you have to release that player.

"If he doesn't abide by those guidelines, he won't be with us, but I will be surprised if he doesn't."

Like any rookie, Thomas had to make adjustments upon arriving in Denver -- and not just to the altitude and climate which is far different than he knew from growing up in Jacksonville, Fla.

"Gerard Warren and a couple of the older players were helping me out trying to get my stance right, (to get out of) that funky college stance and into a pro stance," Thomas said in May. "I'm trying to get used to that."

Denver has signed all but one of its draft picks over the previous five years prior to the start of training camp. The lone exception was 2004 second-round pick Tatum Bell, who signed his contract three days into camp.

ORANGE CRUSH!!!

Signing quick is just one more way that this kid is trying to make his reputation exit the land of stupid as quick as he can. He knows he blew an awfully great experience (Nat'l Champs) by taking a few hits, and compounded the situation by his subsequent actions.
    I really like what I am seeing him do, at least on a personal level. I don't see a rookie of the year here, or something like that, but I do see someone really trying to clean up his act. Someone like this deserves, and, in my opinion, is earning his second chance. I further hope that he is every bit as good as his press clippings before his fall. We might have something here in Thomas.
    Go Marcus!!! Show us on the field now!

Comment

IT's actually a smart move. He might sacrifice a hundred grand or so on his rookie contract if he'd held out for the kind of money he's worth.

That money will be permanently lost if he's cut for any reason or has his career cut short by injury. But, the really big money will come if he can become a starter then enter FA in about 4 years.

If he proves himself, he can ask to renegotiate in year 3 or something. He has a good argument. "Thomas was always worth more than a 4th round contract. He was 1st round talent and now he's proved it. If you want to keep him, let's re-negotiate now. Normally, you don't like to re-negotiate rookie contracts, but this is a unique situation where a player was drafted much later than he should have been because of off-field concerns.

Now that he's come in a proven himself for 2 years and kept clean and has no off-field problems he deserves to be rewarded. Renegotiate now and he won't have to become a FA later."

The amount of money he'd get via a FA contract if he's a proven starter is 10 times greater than any amount he could possible haggle over now.

So, the smartest thing he can do from a financial perspective is get into camp, and work like mad to get as many reps and as much experience as possible as soon as possible and start moving up the depth chart via hard work.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm glad to find out that Thomas decided to sign with the Broncos as opposed to another team.

Comment

Smart move by Thomas to sign early he has earn my respect for signing early.

I know the media has looked at Thomas as being a bad or risky pickup but for the money we have nothing to lose but a draft pick at the most,but if Thomas works out to better our team it will be the smartest move of the draft.

Also,this move will give us some leverage to sign other rookies faster than expected now if we can sign the rest of the rookies before training camp it will help a lot thanks to Marcus.

Comment

I said it before and I'll say it again, Marcus Thomas hands down was our best pick in this years draft! Let them so-called "experts" say Denver screwd up. Most all them experts are bias anyway.IMHO The price we payed is negligable compared to the probable return this guy brings to the table. And it's not like we've "thrown away" our draft picks before!
            Romans 10:9
            John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<
              I'm glad to find out that Thomas decided to sign with the Broncos as opposed to another team.
              if the broncos drafted him, the only way he could sign with another team is if we cut him?
              sig pic removed by mod staff.
              we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy
                Smart move by Thomas to sign early he has earn my respect for signing early.

I know the media has looked at Thomas as being a bad or risky pickup but for the money we have nothing to lose but a draft pick at the most,but if Thomas works out to better our team it will be the smartest move of the draft.

[B] Also,this move will give us some leverage to sign other rookies faster than expected now if we can sign the rest of the rookies before training camp it will help a lot thanks to Marcus[/B].
                Actually, what would have given the Broncos leverage and made it easier to sign all rookies before training camp is if Moss had signed. Signing Thomas means nothing to Moss. He's not going to rush his negotiations just because Thomas signed. Moss is waiting to see what the 16 guys ahead of him are going to get before he signs. Contrary to what some people believe, NFL rookie contracts are not slotted like NBA rookie contracts. You can't just tell an NFL rookie, "this is what you're getting because this is what you're slotted to get", it doesn't work like that. Moss might not wait for all 16 ahead of him to sign before he signs, but I'm sure his agent is going to wait until he is reasonably sure of what those 16 are going to get before he oks any contract for Moss. If Moss had signed, it would have given the other three draftees a guideline as to what they could expect the Broncos to pay them. Moss would also probably be a bit of a pariah among NFL players if he had signed too early because it would have affected at least the first rounders behind him.

I'm glad Thomas signed and is ready to enter training camp. It will be interesting to see if Bates molds him into a two gap DT or if he uses him strictly as an inside pass rusher. The scouting reports on Thomas seemed to indicate that he wasn't a fit for how Bates uses DTs but I guess Bates saw something about Thomas that made him think otherwise. I also have to think that maybe Bates wasn't as sure about Thomas being a starter for the Broncos after they went out and got Adams and Kennedy. Before those two signings, Bates had said that Thomas was on his own timetable when it comes to being a starter in the NFL, that it was just a matter of time before he was a starter. That led many to believe that Thomas had the best chance of the 3 defensive line rookies to start right away. With the signing of Adams and the trade for Kennedy, I think that might not be case any longer. Whatever the case may be, I hope Thomas can leave his past troubles behind him and be a solid player for the Broncos.
                Last edited by broncolee; 07-15-2007, 06:19 PM.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

Congrats to him and his contract. But he has a long road ahead. this season i see him playing third down rusher. He will need to work on his strength and his ability to consistantly take on a center and gaurd to become dominant in this system. he will need to add weight i would say he needs to be around 330 lbs. i dont also think it would hurt if he worked with "the beast". sounds like this incident really put him on the straight and narrow. i hope as a fan and as a person that he can rid himself of a possible addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
                    Actually, what would have given the Broncos leverage and made it easier to sign all rookies before training camp is if Moss had signed. Signing Thomas means nothing to Moss. He's not going to rush his negotiations just because Thomas signed. Moss is waiting to see what the 16 guys ahead of him are going to get before he signs. Contrary to what some people believe, NFL rookie contracts are not slotted like NBA rookie contracts. You can't just tell an NFL rookie, "this is what you're getting because this is what you're slotted to get", it doesn't work like that. Moss might not wait for all 16 ahead of him to sign before he signs, but I'm sure his agent is going to wait until he is reasonably sure of what those 16 are going to get before he oks any contract for Moss. If Moss had signed, it would have given the other three draftees a guideline as to what they could expect the Broncos to pay them. Moss would also probably be a bit of a pariah among NFL players if he had signed too early because it would have affected at least the first rounders behind him.

I'm glad Thomas signed and is ready to enter training camp. It will be interesting to see if Bates molds him into a two gap DT or if he uses him strictly as an inside pass rusher. The scouting reports on Thomas seemed to indicate that he wasn't a fit for how Bates uses DTs but I guess Bates saw something about Thomas that made him think otherwise. I also have to think that maybe Bates wasn't as sure about Thomas being a starter for the Broncos after they went out and got Adams and Kennedy. Before those two signings, Bates had said that Thomas was on his own timetable when it comes to being a starter in the NFL, that it was jsut a matter of time before he was a starter. That led many to believe that Thomas had the best chance of the 3 defensive line rookies to start right away. With the signing of Adams and the trade for Kennedy, I think that might not be case any longer. Whatever the case may be, I hope Thomas can leave his past troubles behind him and be a solid player for the Broncos.

I aggree with you in part. we needed i think atleast four guys to partake in the rotation, i think every guy at the DT has questions about him. i think they are attempting to find the four best. they may have thought that thomas was NFL ready but this might give him a year to work on the things that make him a bad fit for the system

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
                      I'm glad Thomas signed and is ready to enter training camp. It will be interesting to see if Bates molds him into a two gap DT or if he uses him strictly as an inside pass rusher. The scouting reports on Thomas seemed to indicate that he wasn't a fit for how Bates uses DTs but I guess Bates saw something about Thomas that made him think otherwise. I also have to think that maybe Bates wasn't as sure about Thomas being a starter for the Broncos after they went out and got Adams and Kennedy. Before those two signings, Bates had said that Thomas was on his own timetable when it comes to being a starter in the NFL, that it was just a matter of time before he was a starter. That led many to believe that Thomas had the best chance of the 3 defensive line rookies to start right away. With the signing of Adams and the trade for Kennedy, I think that might not be case any longer. Whatever the case may be, I hope Thomas can leave his past troubles behind him and be a solid player for the Broncos.
                      Of course 10 and 5 year veterans will start ahead of a rookie DT who didn't even play football last year due to suspension. Thomas has a long way to go to start, but he has more talent than any other DL currently on the team, so how long he takes to be a starter is up to him.

How hard does he want to work for it? And how quickly can he learn to do what the coaches tell him?

Nothing has changed. He has players ahead of him, but he's still on his own timetable, because those players either don't have as much ability (Kennedy) or are older part-time players (Adams). Either or both those guys could be gone next year, which would leave only McKinley to compete with Thomas to start. If he can't win that battle he doesn't deserve it!

Naturally, this year he's going to be down the depth chart to begin the season, and that's a good thing!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                        Of course 10 and 5 year veterans will start ahead of a rookie DT who didn't even play football last year due to suspension. Thomas has a long way to go to start, but he has more talent than any other DL currently on the team, so how long he takes to be a starter is up to him.

How hard does he want to work for it? And how quickly can he learn to do what the coaches tell him?

Nothing has changed. He has players ahead of him, but he's still on his own timetable, because those players either don't have as much ability (Kennedy) or are older part-time players (Adams). Either or both those guys could be gone next year, which would leave only McKinley to compete with Thomas to start. If he can't win that battle he doesn't deserve it!

Naturally, this year he's going to be down the depth chart to begin the season, and that's a good thing!
                        Depending how quickly he develops it's possible that he could be starting by opening day. I not saying that will happen but the possibility exsists.
                        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                        X