Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The problem with all these camp reports...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with all these camp reports...

All these camp reports are great and I thank the efforts of SoCalBroncos, Kaylore, Andrew Mason and others. But... it's really hard to know how to interpret the info.

I mean, if you hear that Travis Henry has started to look really great does that mean we should get excited about Henry and our offensive line or does it mean we should be worried about our run defense? If Champ, Dre and Co. are shutting down the passing game should we be pumped about our passing D or crying over our passing O? Is Jarvis Moss really coming along that quickly or is Pears going to suck at RT? Etc., etc.

If one area of the team is looking good then it means the area of the them on the opposite side of the ball is struggling and vice versa.

Basically, I get all kinds of mixed feelings when reading these reports and I can't wait until we start playing other teams where we will hopefully dominate on both sides of the ball.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

The way I like to think about it is as follows:

If our offense is dominating what we already know is going to be a solid D, then it just means our offense is just that skilled. A good offense practicing against a good defense will only make both teams better.

If Cutler can't throw against Champ or Dre, then not many other people will be able to either. We already know that.

I'm an optimist though.

If anything, I think Cutler throwing against Champ and Dre is going to make him progress faster than the likes of Young and Leinart because of the talent he faces every day in practice.
    Originally posted by Soldier96B
    i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed View Post
      The way I like to think about it is as follows:

If our offense is dominating what we already know is going to be a solid D, then it just means our offense is just that skilled. A good offense practicing against a good defense will only make both teams better.
      Well, that would be great if we actually knew that our D was going to be that good. But we don't know that yet. A new scheme, new players, old players in new positions... basically our defense is still an unknown.

My point is that it's hard to judge what part of our team is really that good or that bad because we're playing against ourselves. Areas of our team that are struggling right now might actually be pretty good against the rest of the league but it just so happens the other side of the ball is just so good it gives an impression of weakness by the former.

I do agree that Cutler playing against Champ and Dre should be good for him... assuming he doesn't get too frustrated.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
        I do agree that Cutler playing against Champ and Dre should be good for him... assuming he doesn't get too frustrated.
        At least Cutler playing against them will give him an idea of how most other opposing QBs will feel this year. Throwing against the best CB in the league is never easy. Now with another top 10 CB opposite Champ it will definitely make other QBs frustrated.
        Originally posted by Soldier96B
        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Thats the same way I feel for the most part.

But it all depends.

Sometimes I root for the O and sometimes I root for the D.

If Dre is going against a Kircus or a Hixon then I want him to pick it off.
          If Javon is going against a CB like Paymah then I root for Javon.

I usually seem to root for the Favorite but I want the underdog to put up his best effort.

It is hard going back and forth.

I'm just so glad we are finally in August and preseason football is right around the corner.

It still hasnt really sunk in to me yet that our 2 Starting CBs are Champ and Dre.

August 13th cant come soon enough.

Comment

Just some quick notes...

1. Our 1st Team Offense goes up against our 2nd Team Defense. That means Cutler isn't throwing against Champ and Bly in most team drills.

2. Our 1st Team Defense is going up our 2nd Team Offense. Ramsey and the Boys on 2nd Team have struggled in part because it's their unit that's playing against Champ, Bly, Lynch, etc... not to mention the new D-line and our starting LB's.

3. All this is still VERY early and the best thing you can hear is that we had no (or few) injuries and that players seem to be improving/learning.

4. And finally, I think you'll get a great idea of where we're at when we go to TX and practice there. We'll still be going 1st Teams against 2nd Teams, but at least it will not be against ourselves!
            Denver Obsession
            www.BroncoTalk.net

Comment

All these camp reports are great and I thank the efforts of SoCalBroncos, Kaylore, Andrew Mason and others. But... it's really hard to know how to interpret the info.

I mean, if you hear that Travis Henry has started to look really great does that mean we should get excited about Henry and our offensive line or does it mean we should be worried about our run defense? If Champ, Dre and Co. are shutting down the passing game should we be pumped about our passing D or crying over our passing O? Is Jarvis Moss really coming along that quickly or is Pears going to suck at RT? Etc., etc.

If one area of the team is looking good then it means the area of the them on the opposite side of the ball is struggling and vice versa.

Basically, I get all kinds of mixed feelings when reading these reports and I can't wait until we start playing other teams where we will hopefully dominate on both sides of the ball.
              These are the things I think I think about our team from the reports

I think we will rotate defensive ends on early downs and short distance downs. I think Bates is working on turning Moss into Jason Taylor or KGB.

I think our linebacking unit is very thin. Thus DJ is gonna have to be that much better.

I think our secondary is strong and deep. Fergusan isnt a lock to be a starter.

On offense; Scheffler and Marshall have to get back. We MUST have their procuction. Wr and Te are very thin without them.

All in all I think it sounds like our team is deep at many positions. We just need to get healthy.

Comment

I mentioned this in a post on the Mane, but when we hear about how the defense is doing vs the OL in the one on one drills it should be noted that there is a HUGE advantage for the D. They don't have to account for any run, there is no help and the QB doesn't move. So, if you read that Moss is dominating, it should be tempered. In the same way, if you read the OL sucked, remember the context. Just a thought.

Comment

i was thinking that same thing this morning on the way to work. They were talking about the offense having the gel problems, and the WR issues, and then they talked how good the defense is looking....and my thought was is the defense really looking that good or is it the offense is just really really bad......ugh...too many unanswered questions and I want to see some football! :brick:
                  Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove View Post
                    i was thinking that same thing this morning on the way to work. They were talking about the offense having the gel problems, and the WR issues, and then they talked how good the defense is looking....and my thought was is the defense really looking that good or is it the offense is just really really bad......ugh...too many unanswered questions and I want to see some football! :brick:
                    The first preseason game is right around the corner!

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
                      The first preseason game is right around the corner!
                      I know...and I can't wait!! My boss is giving me hell because I wore my Lynch jersey to work yesterday. He had to tell me...just because the season is right around the corner doesn't mean we moved Casual Friday to Casual Tuesday....
                      Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove View Post
                        I know...and I can't wait!! My boss is giving me hell because I wore my Lynch jersey to work yesterday. He had to tell me...just because the season is right around the corner doesn't mean we moved Casual Friday to Casual Tuesday....
                        I just can't understand why your boss would have a problem with you wearing your Lynch jersey.
                        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I am happy for any camp report! I wish I was there - but I live in TN and have to work. Thanks to all that post for us that can't be there!

----------------------------------------------
                          I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC View Post
                            I just can't understand why your boss would have a problem with you wearing your Lynch jersey.
                            He is a Buc fan.

BTW I totally agree with Jav on this. You can't take any of this but with a grain of salt. The "sacks" are almost sacks, were the DE got away from the OT but did not hit/tackle the QB. About the only thing one can count are the receptions and picks everything else is PUFF

Last edited by JRWIZ; 08-01-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

The things I look for TC reports is that players are progressing. Kaylore and soCal do a great job in describing the physical work that goes into playing football. The concentrate on hand and foot control and placement, how accurate Cutler is, how crisp the routes are.

You cant really judge team progress right now, but more individual progress. When we head to TX we'll get more of an idea how the team is gelling.

Hearing Cutler is accurate, Javon is running crisp routes, Henry can make cuts and is fast, that DJ is taking a more vocal/leadership role....those are the things that are good to see, because it all leads to good chemistry.

And Cutler has mentioned that he has talked with Stokley quite a bit, and learned a lot from him...that he is willing to talk to anyone to get as much as he can is a good characteristic to have in football.

And the reporters always comment on Bates' style, and between that and the comments from other reports, it all sounds great.

I just have to realize that TC is not about how good an O or D is...but its just one big job interview for the players
                              sigpic
                              Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                              -Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
                              X