Shanahan's report on camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan's report on camp

Dragondawg on Orangemane posted this article that I thought others might find interesting. This is straight from the Broncos mouth so to speak.

http://broncos.scout.com/2/663883.html

What I find most interesting is that it sounds like Rod Smith has been guaranteed a spot when he returns. Secondly, it sounds to me that Mike believes that Brandon Marshall could be on the practice field and isn't.

Originally posted by Dean View Post
    Dragondawg on Orangemane posted this article that I thought others might find interesting. This is straight from the Broncos mouth so to speak.

What I find most interesting is that it sounds like Rod Smith has been guaranteed a spot when he returns. Secondly, it sounds to me that Mike believes that Brandon Marshall could be on the practice field and isn't.
    Well, I had that thought regarding what Mike thought about Brandon, but it's the team doctors saying he can't be on the field, so I don't think that's exactly it.

I think he's trying to light a fire under Marshall so that when he gets back he makes the necessary progress, and realizes that he isn't the proven starter yet.
    RIP Darrent Williams

Comment

Thanks alot for sharing this Dean. Always great to see and hear what Mikey has to say.
      I think Rod knows that for him to be able to play at the level he can play at, he has to be healthy. It may take all though preseason or even into the middle of the regular season. I told Rod that he doesn’t have a target date, he is on this football team and I told him to get well.
      I think it will be a number of games into the regular season before Rod gets back on the feild and i'm fine with that as long as he is 100% healthy.

Other guys are going to have to step up, just like Rod did when he was called up from the practice squad many moons ago.

On RB Mike Bell playing better this year than as a rookie in 2006
      “Mike is running better than he was a year ago. He is a making better decisions, and he is a little bit more under control. He is using his instincts. Sometimes, Mike gets a little bit too excited and slips while trying to make a cut. Things like that usually come with confidence.”
      Great news. Solid depth at that position has fortuntely been good for us in years with RBs getting injured.

With Henry as the featured back, MBell running better than last year is a big plus.

Comment

When you've done what Rod's done for the team, he's earned a free pass through camp. We all know what he can do when he's healthy, so its better to let him sit out and get healthy than force him onto the field just to earn a spot.
        Marshall on the other hand is still an unknown and not shown enough to earn a pass through training camp.
        "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
        Ayrton Senna..

Comment

I love shanny. I like his comment about Marshall where he basically said they can't keep a player that keeps getting hurt. While I think its too early to tell with Marshall and he has a huge upside, if he continues to be out with injuries then he hurts the team more than he helps. I sure am glad to see Stokley looking good in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post

I disagree with your assessment of how Shannahan feels about Marshall. I didn't get the impression that he doubts the severity of Marshall's injury. I think he's disappointed that Marshall got hurt again and is missing practice because of it. Injuries happen, but when they keep happening to the same player it has to be frustrating for a coach. Marshall was the presumed starter opposite of Walker and he's not on the practice field to justify the presumption. By not staying healthy Marshall is opening the door for Stokley to be the second starter while Marshall could find himself battling Hixon for the #3 spot.

It did seem as though he was saying Rod was guaranteed a spot on the team. If that's true, I'm not sure I agree with that decision on principle but I suppose I can understand it.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I liked the comment about Hixon fighting through his shoulder speration. I dont think Marshalls injury is a "TO" thing, and I can understand his furstration with someone who gets hurt quite a bit. I hope this is not Marshalls case.
              If he does end up fighting for the 3rd WR with Hixon, we'll still have a great WR core. Walker, Stokey and Marsh, with Graham, Scheff and Henry to throw to as checkdown receivers.

Though I do think Mashall has the potential to be a good #2. I hope all our players come back healthy and strong
              sigpic
              Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
              -Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
              X