X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xxxlibertine
    From the 1-5-07 Rocky Mountain News

January 5, 2007
    "First-degree murder, no doubt about it.
    That absolutely will be one of the charges brought against any individual identified as having been involved in the senseless shooting of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams in the early morning hours of New Year's Day.

Whether filed as premeditated "after deliberation" murder, which is the traditional "with malice aforethought" category, or as "extreme indifference" homicide, the charge at the head of the list will be murder in the first degree, regardless of the circumstances that preceded the shooting.

Why?

It won't be because Williams was a budding NFL star, although his status as a professional football player certainly elevated what would otherwise have been a relatively modest, unfortunately commonplace news item into a national story.

Nor will the filing of first-degree murder charges be dictated by suspicions that the shooting was gang-related or, somewhat amazingly, include a connection to jailed reputed Crips gang member Brian Hicks.

Hicks hit the news last month because, as he already faced separate drug and attempted-murder charges, he and his associates became, and remained, strong suspects in the Dec. 6 shooting of eyewitness Kalonniann Clark, who was gunned down just five days before she was set to testify against Hicks.

Rather, as Denver homicide detectives feverishly work to solve the Williams case and forensic experts comb the recently recovered sport utility vehicle for clues, what will dictate the filing of first-degree murder charges in the case is the stark physical evidence alone, the bullet-riddled limousine that was targeted blocks after it left The Shelter nightclub on Broadway.

The evocative sight of the perforated Hummer limo makes utterly irrelevant any perceived provocation by Williams' group, essentially eliminating any possible issue of lesser intent on the part of the perpetrators.

While the placement of the 14 shots peppering the Hummer certainly appear to be of homicidal intent, located as they are in the vicinity of where passengers sit, just firing that many shots at a vehicle occupied by other human beings qualifies the shooting as first-degree murder by extreme indifference.

In 1909, almost a century ago, the Colorado Supreme Court colorfully characterized this part of our murder laws as "depraved mind" homicide.

In a case involving a street-corner shooting, the court described extreme indifference homicide as "that depravity of the human heart, which determines to take life upon slight or insufficient provocation, without knowing or caring who may be the victim."

The law calls this "universal malice," which is a general malevolence against others, and although this is an old legal concept, it covers the insane modern-day phenomenon of the drive-by shooting perfectly.

As in this case.

It makes no difference that there are competing versions of the events before the shooting, or whether Williams or anyone with him is, or ever was, a gang member, wore gang colors or flashed gang signs.

Neither does the outcome of criminal charges in the Williams shooting depend on whether he or someone in his group chased, confronted, argued or fought with another group of testosterone-fueled young men just minutes before.

No charge other than first-degree murder would do the facts and Darrent Williams justice."

Can I get that link, please?

sigpic
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Requested link

Sorry for the delay in posting. Here is the link to the opinion piece above, written by RMN columnist Scott Robinson.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...257819,00.html
      uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

Comment

Originally posted by xxxlibertine
        Sorry for the delay in posting. Here is the link to the opinion piece above, written by RMN columnist Scott Robinson.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...257819,00.html

Muchas gracias!
        sigpic
        They're your teammates, now.
        Best of luck, TT!
        ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

I've thought long and hard on this question and waited to post anything until I knew what to put. I know what I want to happen, but the more I've learned about D Will and his mother and family, I think the best answer to that is to keep my opinion to myself. I don't think that his mom would be as harsh as all of us have been or want to be. I honestly think that if she was facing them, which she probably will be someday in court, I think she would say that she forgives them and that God will deal with them in the best way He feels is just. Given all that, I would have to go with that for now, unless I turn out to be wrong. Then I say fry em'.

Comment

Whatever the prescribed penalty is for murder in Colorado, I presume.

It also depends on whether it was 1st degree or not.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
            You should check these guys out

Comment

Working...
            X