An Open Letter to All Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter to All Broncos

I have been a Bronco's fan since Elway's rookie year. Ever since then I have lived, breathed and slept broncos. I, like most of you consier myself more than just a fan of the team, they are virtually like family to me. There is not a day where I dont talk about the broncos team, and not a sunday when I dont don my broncos jersey and watch every bronco play or interview intently. I have been a daily visitor to this board for at least 4 years, but I've never posted ... till now.

Now you all have to bear with me on this open letter as I have been writing this in my mind the past 24 hours, I've been wanting to write some thing special about one of our breatheren, but how can something even come close to someone as special as DWill. When he came to the team last year we all questioned Shanny's choice in 3 CB's, but we soon realised that Shanny was on the ball, especially when it came to DWill. Even though he was 5'8 he was a dynamite with lightening speed. He had an infectious smile and a personality that we all couldnt resist. Some of us, and I admit even myself, at times, thought that DWill's outspoken brashness was just that, him being brash and cocky, but we now realise that he had that incredible belief in himself. They say that there is nothing more tragic than the waste of promise and talent, in DWill, young, full of promise, we were lucky to just get a fleeting glimpse at it.

Darrent will always be number 27 and a Bronco to us. We were with him on every play, every interception and return. He will always be with us, and as someone on the Broncos chatroom has said;

"he's tearing up the field as a cornerback for God, not Denver"

I know I speak for all bronco fans, so hear goes, thank you Mrs Williams for bringing such a fine young man as Darrent into the world so that we could have a chance to have him on OUR team. My condolences go to you and your family, including your grandchildren and DWill's girlfriend. We may not fully know the extant of your grief, but he was and will forever be a bronco to us fans.

Mr. Shanahan, and team, our hearts and tears are with you all, for we lost one of our own too. I know I dont even need to tell you this, as I am sure you will keep the spirit of DWill alive. He epitomised the bronco ethos, of class, professionalism and hard work. He went out on the field to ensure he put on a good show and didnt want to disappoint, it was his youthful exhuberance that captivated us. You could tell he loved being a bronco. We all know you guys love being broncos, and no matter what happens you will always be broncos to us fans. Rally together, and keep his spirit alive for we the fans will not forget him.

Javon, BMarsh, DJ, Tatum, Paymah, and Foxy we know that you guys must be seriously grieving this loss. You are all not alone, we are all here behind you guys and our prayers hopefully will provide some comfort. Champ, we also saw the disappointment in your eyes after the final game of the season, and coupling this with the tragic loss of Dwill must be especially hard for you, as he was your protege, but you are the Champ of broncos, and Dwill certainly looked up to you, keep his spirit alive.

Javon, you are now part of the bronco family our prayers go out to you, and you will forever be part of this family we are all with you.

Mr.Shanahan, once again thank you, for being who you are and representing this sad time in a humane and touching way. Keep the team together for we all know how special these guys are to all of us bronco fans.

DWill, may you rest in peace and we will miss you - .

From a Bronco Fan

Beautiful post. It made me cry, not in sadness, but remembering DWill and the joy he brought to us!

Thank you.

Comment

What can I say. This is the single best post I have ever read. I grew up in Denver before I left for the Army in 92 and have lived in KY ever since. I brought the Broncos with me. Although over these last few years I have become a Titans fan, my heart, and my loyalty will ALWAYS be with the orange and blue. I grew up under the shadow of four crushing super bowl defeats, finally knew the utter joy of being able to say "my team" has the trophy. I have experienced the ups and downs with everyone else who is a fan, but this is truely the darkest time in our teams history. But I believe D Will is looking down on all of Bronco Nation right now, wherever it is we call home, and telling us not to cry. We lost not only a great player, but a great man as well. His family has lost a son, a father, a brother. But I found something good, at least for me in this. I finally saw past the player and saw the man and saw his smile. The smile all of the Broncos talk about. I will forever carry that smile in my memory now. I am still sad and broken-hearted by this, but knowing what I have come to know about D Will in these last few days I can smile through the tear that still finds it's way out.

Good night Darrent, and God bless.

Comment

Outstanding post!!! I'm a native to Colorado. And have been a fan since birth, my whole family is. It's amazing how much losing Darrent can affect those of us that never knew him personally.

Comment

Thank you Thank you

Thank you so much Devantev, this was a very beautiful post on Darrent. It was something that made me fell better inside. Darrent is still playing football up there for a winning team, with God as his coach. Tears ran down my face, but in sheer hapiness. Everything hes brought to this game, this city and this team will not go forgotten. I hope some day to personally greet him up there, and say thanks for everything hes done and stood for. I look foward to reading more posts from up in the future.

Comment

Beautiful man. Wonderfully beautiful. It makes me wish I was home in Denver right now. We all need to sit back and be thankful for everything we have, everyday. No taking things for granted. Thank God for for your family, your health and your situation. I'm going to go to bed and dream....dream that Darrent is in Heaven representing the Orange and Blue...and that he's looking down upon us with that ever present, room illuminating smile (and the FroHawk ) Everyone have a good night, and remember: tomorrow is the start of the rest of your life. Live it to it's fullest.

Good night Darrent. We love you.

Bob

Comment

wow. i don't know if its a weird process getting over this, but yesterday, i was teary eyed all day, today i broke down when watching the news and they showed a picture of D with his big smile, and now this thing busted me up like a baby.
              this is an amazing post, thanks for writing it devantev

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
              We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Gin
                Outstanding post!!! I'm a native to Colorado. And have been a fan since birth, my whole family is. It's amazing how much losing Darrent can affect those of us that never knew him personally.
                I was born in Denver and have been A Bronco Fan literally since the day i was born. i always thought it was a LAW that if your born in Denver you had to be Bronco fan..

I have cried with the Broncos over the years. Bawled like a baby when we won the first SuperBowl and cried even harder when Elway retired. When Eddie Mac broke is leg on 9/10/01 my daughter had to call and reassure me he'd be fine.. But i never thought, never imagined i'd be in tears for something so horrible as this..

Comment

Beautifully Written! I Think You Put In Words What All Of Us Are Thinking. Dwills Life Should Be A Celebration. He Has Accomplished More Than Most Of Us Could Ever Dream Of At The Age Of 24. His Spirit Will Forever Play For This Team.

Comment

That was a wonderful post and like the posters before me, it made me cry when I thought I couldn't cry anymore for Darrent. It was beautifully written. Thank you for that fitting tribute.
                    We'll never forget Darrent Williams
                    I Bleed Orange & Blue

Comment

Thank you

Thank you guys. I know we all feel the same about the tragic loss of DWill. I hope and believe that the broncos organisation will get through this and be better for it.
                      If there is something Darrent taught all of us, is despite when things aren't going your way, just keep smiling. Besides, as an australian who now lives in Minnesota, (I used to live in Colorado, and have been to only one bronco's game - one of the highlights of my life), is that this team has what we value very much in Australia - Mateship. As mates, we all stick together, and back each other up, friendship is held at a high esteem and this team has it and so does its fans.

DWill was a good bloke and we won't forget! Win or Lose this is OUR team, and a Bronco now is a bronco forever RIP DWill!

Comment

D---

Anyone who has all this inside and is able to share it with perfectly nice strangers like us deserves the praise and kudos you are receiving. Beautiful job.

Comment

As stated before, this is a beautiful post. Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by kalekona
                            I was born in Denver and have been A Bronco Fan literally since the day i was born. i always thought it was a LAW that if your born in Denver you had to be Bronco fan..

I have cried with the Broncos over the years. Bawled like a baby when we won the first SuperBowl and cried even harder when Elway retired. When Eddie Mac broke is leg on 9/10/01 my daughter had to call and reassure me he'd be fine.. But i never thought, never imagined i'd be in tears for something so horrible as this..

It is not a LAW. It is simple genetics just like hair or eye color. We are all genetically programmed to be part of Bronco Nation from birth.

Comment

Great Post. I salute you and D-will!!

Comment

Working...
                              X