The Real Darrent Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Darrent Williams

I was over at my parents house watching the LSU and Notre Dame game tonight and I brought up Darrent amongst my family. They all agreed on the basics...yes this is tragic, yes we are sorry, yes he was talented, etc. Then my father made a comment suggesting that what happened to Darrent is an effect of hanging around the wrong crowd. I was stunned. I began to argue with him and educate him on something he was obviously ignorant about and he proceeded to defend his stance based on false accusations and heresy.

This is absolutely awful, and I am afraid that it is not so uncommon throughout the country. There are many out there who heard some key words like gang, "nightclub incident", and young black man, and made up their minds from that moment on. It is sad, it is pathetic, and it is patently disrespectful.

Enter the Bronco fan. At first I was left hopeless with the thought that his memory would be one of ignorace, but as I was trying to set my feelings in place I was also scrolling through these very message boards. I took notice of how many people are posting, reading, responding to, and remembering our fallen family member. We are the ones who can make the difference. Through our tribute banners, our links to stories and videos, our shared feelings and thoughts all across these screens, we do our part to make sure that an amazing young man is remembered as he should be.

Keep posting. Keep reading. Keep Darrent alive.

Originally posted by jhennessy18
    I was over at my parents house watching the LSU and Notre Dame game tonight and I brought up Darrent amongst my family. They all agreed on the basics...yes this is tragic, yes we are sorry, yes he was talented, etc. Then my father made a comment suggesting that what happened to Darrent is an effect of hanging around the wrong crowd. I was stunned. I began to argue with him and educate him on something he was obviously ignorant about and he proceeded to defend his stance based on false accusations and heresy.

This is absolutely awful, and I am afraid that it is not so uncommon throughout the country. There are many out there who heard some key words like gang, "nightclub incident", and young black man, and made up their minds from that moment on. It is sad, it is pathetic, and it is patently disrespectful.

Enter the Bronco fan. At first I was left hopeless with the thought that his memory would be one of ignorace, but as I was trying to set my feelings in place I was also scrolling through these very message boards. I took notice of how many people are posting, reading, responding to, and remembering our fallen family member. We are the ones who can make the difference. Through our tribute banners, our links to stories and videos, our shared feelings and thoughts all across these screens, we do our part to make sure that an amazing young man is remembered as he should be.

Keep posting. Keep reading. Keep Darrent alive.

Young Black males , Are stereotyped, as Thugs. Truly i have been accused as a thug many times, which im not. "Young Black males out there are being identified as Thugs" Tupac Shakur. I hate to say it ,but Too some people, we young black males are Thugs and n***** to them. It doesn't matter what you are, Millionaire or a Poor person.
    Tupac inspired me alot. look at these lyrcis to changes

2PAC LYRICS

"Changes"

[1]
    Come on come on
    I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself
    is life worth living should I blast myself?
    I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black
    my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch
    Cops give a damn about a negro
    pull the trigger kill a ***** he's a hero
    Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares
    one less hungry mouth on the welfare
    First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal the brothers
    give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other
    It's time to fight back that's what Huey said
    2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead
    I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere
    unless we share with each other
    We gotta start makin' changes
    learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers
    and that's how it's supposed to be
    How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me?
    I'd love to go back to when we played as kids
    but things changed, and that's the way it is

[Bridge w/ changing ad libs]
    Come on come on
    That's just the way it is
    Things'll never be the same
    That's just the way it is
    aww yeah
    [Repeat]

[2]
    I see no changes all I see is racist faces
    misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
    We under I wonder what it takes to make this
    one better place, let's erase the wasted
    Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
    'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
    and only time we chill is when we kill each other
    it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
    And although it seems heaven sent
    We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh
    It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact
    the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks
    But some things will never change
    try to show another way but you stayin' in the dope game
    Now tell me what's a mother to do
    bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you
    You gotta operate the easy way
    "I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way
    sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid,"
    Well hey, well that's the way it is

[Bridge]

[Talking:]
    We gotta make a change...
    It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes.
    Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live
    and let's change the way we treat each other.
    You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do
    what we gotta do, to survive.

[3]
    And still I see no changes can't a brother get a little peace
    It's war on the streets & the war in the Middle East
    Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs
    so the police can bother me
    And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do
    But now I'm back with the facts givin' it back to you
    Don't let 'em jack you up, back you up,
    crack you up and pimp smack you up
    You gotta learn to hold ya own
    they get jealous when they see ya with ya mobile phone
    But tell the cops they can't touch this
    I don't trust this when they try to rush I bust this
    That's the sound of my tool you say it ain't cool
    my mama didn't raise no fool
    And as long as I stay black I gotta stay strapped
    & I never get to lay back
    'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the pay backs
    some punk that I roughed up way back
    comin' back after all these years
    rat-tat-tat-tat-tat that's the way it is uhh

[Bridge 'til fade]

What you see on tv isn't what all young black males are. There are some Thugs out there, but not all of us are. I don't think it is fair, at all. It hurt my feelings when someone try to stereotype me or someone else. But im proud to be black and a bronco fan, and noone can take it away from me.

Comment

You should tell your family that he had a foundation for gang prevention.

Comment

my dam brother said the same thing...we got into a huge argument...some people can real pricks these days

Comment

Originally posted by javon84walker#1
          my dam brother said the same thing...we got into a huge argument...some people can real pricks these days
          Yea, i know my brother thought it was funny. I got mad.

Comment

[QUOTE=jhennessy18]I was over at my parents house watching the LSU and Notre Dame game tonight and I brought up Darrent amongst my family. They all agreed on the basics...yes this is tragic, yes we are sorry, yes he was talented, etc. Then my father made a comment suggesting that what happened to Darrent is an effect of hanging around the wrong crowd. I was stunned. I began to argue with him and educate him on something he was obviously ignorant about and he proceeded to defend his stance based on false accusations and heresy.
            [QUOTE]

Actually: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4942657

Based on the information you give us on what your father said, he is essentially saying what is being pieced together. Darrent was in fact hanging around with the wrong crowd. It doesn't mean he was a gang member or a thug, but someone in the group is believed to have been, and the evidence is beginning to take shape showing this is gang related violence.

Darrent is and was a good man. Someone in his group, that night, was not a good person to bring his conflict to innocent friends. Wrong crowd to be around. If the story continues to shape out this way then it is a classic case of "hanging around the wrong crowd."

Comment

My boyfriend made the comment when he saw Geraldo yesterday "if he was such an upstanding young man, why didn't he marry his girlfriend and the mother of his two children?" You don't even want to know how angry I got....I left the dinner table, walked into our bedroom, slammed and locked the door.

I lay my "whys" before your Cross, in worship kneeling, mind to numb for thought, heart beyond all feeling. And worshipping, realize that I, knowing you, don't need a "why". Ruth Graham
              ALL READY

Comment

We don't truly know all these players off the field. That's why I never make them my idol. I don't have those, but I have many favorite players.

However, all the reports about Darrent before the shooting was pretty good. His teammates liked him and his coaches thought he was a nice young man.
                I don't club or party out. For people to say he was hanging around the wrong crowd just because he got shot is necessarily fair. Obviously the group he was with walked away from the confrontation and was headed elsewhere.

Also, we do not have all the facts.
                People should be able to go out and party and have fun if they wish without having to fear their life. That's why I don't like the term being at the wrong place at the right time." Or vice versa.

I'll just keep my memory of a young talented football player. A player that loved playing the game and was jovial. He had an infectious smile.
                Emancipate your mind!
                The People's Poster

Comment

A co-worker of mine also made the comment that he heard Williams was a real thug. It ticked me off royally. Thugs don't drop in unannounced at the Boy's Club just to hang with the kids for awhile. They don't donate to gang prevention groups. Mike Shanahan doesn't usually bring known thugs into the Broncos organization. Williams admitted that he hung with the wrong crowd in high school, but from everything I have read those days appeared to be well behind him.
                  Proud Bronco fan since 1975. I just wish every football player out there today was more like my man Rod Smith. Knowing we will never see him on the field again is very hard. He gave everything he had and left his guts on the field. I will miss him.

Comment

Darrent was my favorite bronco for the previous two seasons. Believe me or not, I don't care. When I heard the news, it DID cross my mind, and my lips, he was hanging around the wrong people. I wanted so badly to blame Darrent. After all, he was a father to two small children. A family counting on him. A contract to live up to. Fans who supported him through good, and bad. What gives him the right to put himself into these kind of situations? Then, I got over my anger at Darrent. After all, it was New Years Eve, he has no family in Denver, his family, as we all know by now, was hundreds of miles away in Texas, and he's well-to-do. How many of us can honestly say, if we are in a town with no family, a pocket full of money, on New Years Eve, would sit at home? I know I wouldn't. Quite possibly, this did stem from hanging around the wrong people, however, if so, they are the same wrong people Darrent was hanging around for the better part of his 24 years. So many people place importance on not forgetting where you come from, when you make it big, Darrent never forgot, where he came from, or his friends. In the end, Darrent was trying to make a positive change in the world, for his kids, for his community, for his friends, and for his family.
                    Last edited by cadencesdad; 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM.

Comment

You want to hear a story about the real Darrent Williams? I run his website and have a memorabilia contract with him for his signed items and met with him several times over the last two years about our business partnership. One night I met him at his house to sign some items for his website. At a previous time he talked to me about his kids about their ages and that they lived with their Mom in Texas. Anyways when I went to his house he had Sponge Bob or something on the TV and I asked him if his kids were in town. His answer was no, that he watched cartoons when he missed his kids. You could tell Darrent was a guy that loved his kids deeply and missed them when they weren't around. That is the real DWill.

Comment

Originally posted by patterson17
                        You want to hear a story about the real Darrent Williams? I run his website and have a memorabilia contract with him for his signed items and met with him several times over the last two years about our business partnership. One night I met him at his house to sign some items for his website. At a previous time he talked to me about his kids about their ages and that they lived with their Mom in Texas. Anyways when I went to his house he had Sponge Bob or something on the TV and I asked him if his kids were in town. His answer was no, that he watched cartoons when he missed his kids. You could tell Darrent was a guy that loved his kids deeply and missed them when they weren't around. That is the real DWill.

Thank you! I wished I could have met the real D-Will. 2 years isn't long enough...24 years isn't long enough...

I don't know any "thugs" that show up at the Boys and Girls clubs just to hang out with the kids or want to start free football camps...or like his mom said, "he'd do anything to help anyone.."
                        Last edited by Orange RAGE; 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM.
                        Orange RAGE

Comment

Working...
                        X