Article on Javon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Javon

I've visited this site for quite some time, but finally decided to post after I found an article it seems that hasn't yet been posted. I know alot of articles have mentioned Javon, but this one is all about him...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/16401660.htm

FORT WORTH, Texas - In a house of worship where more than 2,000 paid their respects to former Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams, there was one conspicuous absence made more striking by the last time we saw him.

Javon Walker.

The last time seemingly anyone in the public saw the Broncos' leading receiver, he was walking into the team's headquarters wearing a bloodstained long-sleeved white T-shirt. His blue jeans were stained with blood, too.

The 24-year-old Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting early New Year's Day. A bullet struck Williams in the neck, and he was pronounced dead at Denver Health Medical Center.

Walker's absence from the Great Commission Baptist Church says much more about the impact of Williams' death.

You see, Williams died in Walker's arms.

Walker was with Williams at The Shelter nightclub in downtown Denver ushering in the new year. Walker was in the stretch Hummer limousine that Williams rented.

But, Walker wasn't here Saturday.

Former Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak was here. Former Broncos assistant general manager Rick Smith was here. Even former Broncos receiver Ashley Lelie was here.

Walker wasn't.

"Javon is struggling," coach Mike Shanahan said after Williams' funeral. "He's going through some very heavy grief right now. I talked to Champ (Bailey) about him. He's been with him the last couple of days.

"He's going through a tough time. I'm sure with everybody's support, he'll make it through all right."

In Shanahan's statement lies the reason I feel sorry, almost ill, for Walker.

Rosalind Williams - Darrent's mother and the person more than one Broncos player credited for helping him through the past week - Walker's teammates and many others were paying tribute to Williams. Support doesn't get much more complete.

But Walker couldn't be here.

If your heart possesses any amount of compassion, you want to believe Shanahan. You want to think that Walker will be fine. You want to think that the next time Walker practices or plays a game, those thoughts of his former teammate aren't still dominating him.

You want to believe Douglas E. Brown, the pastor of Great Commission Baptist, when he says, "It's a celebration, not a memorial."

But then you look throughout the crowd of Broncos players and personnel and you don't see Walker. You watch as linebacker Al Wilson rubs the back and shoulders of an emotional Tatum Bell, who's trying to give a few words of remembrance, and you wonder what Walker would have to say.

There's no telling how Walker will return if, that is, he returns at all.

At this point, don't be surprised if Walker somehow turns the past week into motivation and sets NFL receiving records next season. Likewise, don't let it be a shock if the last picture we see of Walker is the one with a bloodstained shirt.

It would be great if it were the former instead of the latter. But every person must deal with grief in his or her own way.

Monte Wayne, an older cousin of Williams who also grew up in this city's Carter Park neighborhood, recalled when he and a group of relatives and friends would play pickup football at a local playground.

Most times, Wayne said, Williams would stand and watch. The bigger cousins wouldn't let "Little Dee" play. Their slight, however, was out of love and worry, not spite.

"We didn't want him to get hurt," Wayne said, the grimace of a bittersweet smile covering his face. "We knew he was going to do something special."

The neighborhood kids would play at noon every Sunday because they wanted to get home in time for the 3-o'clock Dallas Cowboys game.

"I'm ... just going to miss them Sundays ... whew," Wayne said, shaking his head and taking several deep breaths.

While Wayne will miss them, Walker will find it difficult to forget them.

Good article...thank you.
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

That was a great article. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

I wish there were something we could do for Javon.

I lay my "whys" before your Cross, in worship kneeling, mind to numb for thought, heart beyond all feeling. And worshipping, realize that I, knowing you, don't need a "why". Ruth Graham
        ALL READY

Comment

Thanks for the post.........

There's no telling how Walker will return if, that is, he returns at all.

At this point, don't be surprised if Walker somehow turns the past week into motivation and sets NFL receiving records next season. Likewise, don't let it be a shock if the last picture we see of Walker is the one with a bloodstained shirt.
          I've got to agree with this,at this point either of these possibilities is equally likely, the guy's got to be really hurting at the moment and for a long while to come
          The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
          BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
          You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Thanx for the post Reppy Poo

good first post!

man it must be Tough to be Javon right now

Comment

I have to agree, excellent first post and thanks for sharing.

Poor Javon, I just feel so badly for him right now.
              ~~*Jeni*~~

In Loving Memory of Darrent Williams ~~ 1982 -- 2007

In Loving Memory of Bobby Hamilton Sr. ~~ 1957 -- 2007

Thanks for all you've done for the Steelers Coach Cowher...

Comment

Originally posted by orangeblossom94
                I wish there were something we could do for Javon.

Me too.

I went to his fan site, and sent him a few words of support, jus hoping he will get them.

Comment

I did the same last night.

I lay my "whys" before your Cross, in worship kneeling, mind to numb for thought, heart beyond all feeling. And worshipping, realize that I, knowing you, don't need a "why". Ruth Graham
                  ALL READY

Comment

Poor Javon he must be feeling so horrible hang in there Javon.
                    R.I.P. Darrent Williams(1982-2007) you will be missed

I started praying every day at my home, and even though I wasn't going to church all the time, I started believing more, and I think that's what stopped me from going down the wrong road. qouted by Darrent Williams

Comment

I believe Javon will come through this and play better than ever, he just needs some time to grieve and get through what has happened to him.

He is in my prayers.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                      How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Yea I went to his site and sent him my support. I am sure it will be a while before he can even think of looking at anything like that, but hopefully at some point he will see them and feel how much support he has from all of us.
                        "I don't think it's 'Tebow Time'; I just think it's 'Bronco Time"
                        Tim Tebow

Comment

Great article man poor Javon.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

Good find and thanks for posting that. CP and welcome to the boards.
                            The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueFlames
                              Great article man poor Javon.
                              I hate to Burst ur bubble but Rep is a girl

but yea once agian great article!

i hope Javon recovers good!

Comment

Working...
                              X