• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solutions sought to avoid trouble

This was in the Rocky Mountain Post

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/

Solutions sought to avoid trouble
    Having bodyguards available debatable; low profile suggested

After the murder of Darrent Williams, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen spoke of the need to "address this kind of behavior, this kind of danger with our athletes" and how he talked with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about the league approaching things "in a far different way" and not putting players in jeopardy.
    Lenny Walls, a former Broncos cornerback now with the Kansas City Chiefs, suggested having security available to athletes to try to prevent such instances.

But Clinton Portis, a former Broncos running back now with the Washington Redskins, countered that having bodyguards only "brings attention" to the athletes and that, other than avoiding such situations, there's not much that can be done over and above what players already know.

But Ashley Lelie, a former Broncos receiver now with the Atlanta Falcons, had a practical solution for the situation in Denver, particularly with the suspects still at large in the Williams case and perhaps gangs involved.

The party Williams attended before he was murdered was advertised as a birthday celebration for Nuggets player Kenyon Martin. Fliers not only bore Martin's name but also those of some Broncos players.

That practice, in Lelie's view, should cease.

"The Broncos, the Nuggets or any of the pro sports out there shouldn't sponsor, condone or involve themselves in anything the Denver nightlife does with the clubs, promotions or any parties, anything like that because, obviously, they don't give us the right kind of protection . . . ," he said. "And even though there's a lot of guys in clubs that hate us and are jealous of us, we're the ones that bring people to the party and what makes the club's money."

Walls, who left the Broncos in 2005, was less than enthusiastic about Denver's club scene, saying it's not a big deal in cities such as New York, Miami and Los Angeles to be around people with money and that there's a good upscale vibe.

It's more of a mixed crowd in Denver "and you get a lot of guys who do what mad folk do because we have money or because girls like us or whatever."

"There's no way to get away from these knuckleheads," said Joey Long, a cousin of Walls who lived in Denver for five years.

He said one of the big problems is security in his and Williams' case didn't do more to extricate people from the premises, thus allowing the situations to escalate.

"And there's no surrounding cities to go to," Long said. "It's either downtown or nothing from the Parker area, where everybody stays at. Denver's not the best place for an athlete trying to have a good time."

I like how Lelie put it best. These bar owners could give 2 craps less about these players, all they see is the $$$ of having them in their club. I wouldn't be down there if I was an athlete. These clubs offer nothing but trouble. The Shelter/Safari has had issues in the past. Issues involving guns, they should have shut the place down a long time ago. :sigh:
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
      I like how Lelie put it best. These bar owners could give 2 craps less about these players, all they see is the $$$ of having them in their club. I wouldn't be down there if I was an athlete. These clubs offer nothing but trouble. The Shelter/Safari has had issues in the past. Issues involving guns, they should have shut the place down a long time ago. :sigh:
      In one of the articles I read previously, it stated that The Shelter is known to have gang members hang out there. Guess The Shelter owner does not care where the money comes from

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
        OK This is a HUGE can of worms.

So the "Club" is to blame?

Or is the player(s) at fault for going to a "known" bad spot?

Or are the players involved with this all along and fate caught up?

Was there a Nugget connection?

Did Kenyan Martin hire a hit man? (Sarcasm obviously)

I HATE THIS!

The person? The place? The timing? The moods? The argument? The envy? The hatred? The gang? The blah blah blah?

:usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69

I HATE THIS!

The person? The place? The timing? The moods? The argument? The envy? The hatred? The gang? The blah blah blah?

I know what you mean.
          MMA News
          MMA News 247

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69

I HATE THIS!

Well to be realistic, if the bar turns away such members -- as in this case, I know they are looking at high profiled criminals that are major members of their particular gang, therein if he turned them away there is a chance he comes into harms way. If K. Martin had involvement with such characters then he should be held responsible, but in any case the fact is that I think the blame of this could go several directions...being from that former scene I think all states should make a law that if you have gang relations or caught in gang activities you serve at least eight years unless unable to do so, in the U.S. Military, after which it will be off that person's record, if they are busted after that then they should face felony charges that should carry no less then a twenty years in a maximum prison. If you refuse to join the military they are automatically sentenced to twenty years in prison. I know it is rough, but it would serve them, the country and benefit lowering crime in the U.S. by leaps and bounds. If they keep this as it currently is, then it will only get worse, as it has been doing so the past twenty to thirty years...oh, well that is just my opinion.

Comment

All these suggestions and things are ok, because at least they bring heightened awareness to everyone involved...

But in the end, it comes down to society to learn how to stop shooting each other.

There are far more homicides involving people who have no money and no fame that don't gain as much pub than there are with professional athletes... The reality is that people are sick and there isn't a whole heck of alot we can do as a society other than educate the youth...

To suggest that professional athletes should NOT go out because they might get shot is just not in line with reality...

And while I certainly don't want Darren's death to be in vain, we also needn't get caught up in the over-sensationalized media who makes their $$ on fear.

Comment

I'd give it 12-18 hours before this thread is locked.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan
                  All these suggestions and things are ok, because at least they bring heightened awareness to everyone involved...

But in the end, it comes down to society to learn how to stop shooting each other.

There are far more homicides involving people who have no money and no fame that don't gain as much pub than there are with professional athletes... The reality is that people are sick and there isn't a whole heck of alot we can do as a society other than educate the youth...

To suggest that professional athletes should NOT go out because they might get shot is just not in line with reality...

And while I certainly don't want Darren's death to be in vain, we also needn't get caught up in the over-sensationalized media who makes their $$ on fear.
                  Well spoken!

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
                    I'd give it 12-18 hours before this thread is locked.
                    why? its already gone a couple days and doesnt violate anything

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderGirl
                      http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/
                      "And there's no surrounding cities to go to," Long said. "It's either downtown or nothing from the Parker area, where everybody stays at. Denver's not the best place for an athlete trying to have a good time."
                      Is this guy smoking crack...I am sure there are plenty of places to have a good time. Yes there are not many places close to Denver, but it is pretty spread out. People just have to stay out of the wrong places in/around Denver.
                      Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X