Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I_Only_Like_Jay
    replied
    I understand why they set up a foundation. There are fans out there who want to do something to pay their respects to Darrent and this is another outlet for them. It's not because they expect us to contribute, it's just there so that if we want to contribute, we can. Remember, his children no longer have their father. And I know that the money won't bring him back or take away the pain. But it's one less stress that is put on his family.
    I know where you're coming from for wondering why they seem to want us to donate to this foundation, because it was the same way after the two boys lost their legs, or even after Columbine.
    But yeah, the foundation for his children is mostly for the fans out there who want to do something for his family. It's an option, not a responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• tsiguy96
    replied
    yes i would, however i just think that there are people in far more dire need of money then the williams family is. im not disrespecting anyone by saying that maybe the broncos should redirect some of these people who are wishing to donate to other families who are in real need of support.

Leave a comment:

• Kapaibro
    replied
    Here's how it works.

Pat Bowlen considers Broncos players part of his FAMILY.

A member of his family(who was loved by pretty much everyone) was MURDERED, and left 2 children behind. As Mr Bowlen has the financial means to help the extended family of the is person, he choose to do so.

He paid for the funeral, for Darrent mom to come to Denver so she could meet with his friends, and teammates privately. He also decided that as he had this financial ability, he would assist in the upbringing of the children of his family member.

Other members of the Bronco family(team mates and staff) have decided that they too would like to help out, as a way to express their love for Darrent(not just for his play, but for being a good person). In addition to this, extended members of the Bronco family(the fans), have expressed their desire to help out.

As a result, the option to help has been extended to those people.

If you don't want to contyribute(or are not able to), no one is demnding you do so. But if you do want to express your regards in this way, the option is available to you.

Think of it like this: If you had the financial ability to help the children of a murdered family member, would you do so?

I know I would.

Leave a comment:

• Prodigal19
    replied
    Originally posted by tsiguy96
    so why isnt their funds for everyone who died leaving a family behind? should i send 10 dollars to every one of them as well, considering they DID have funeral costs to be paid on their own, as well likely not having a parent that made near the amount that he did?

i didnt personally know him any more then any one of them. me sending 10 dollars to his family will not make me feel better about myself at all (altruistic behavior anyone?), because i need that 10 dollars a HELL of a lot more then his family does. most families that lose a parent would need it more then his family does, but that gets overlooked because he was a sports player.
    i dont understand what you are crying about. If you dont want to give money than dont, but dont complain about other people not giving money.

Leave a comment:

• ThunderGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by JWinn
    I believe Pat paid for the funeral also out of his own pocket.
    It has been reported that Pat Bowlen paid for the funeral!
    Mr. Bowlen, you are a class act owner!

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    so why isnt their funds for everyone who died leaving a family behind? should i send 10 dollars to every one of them as well, considering they DID have funeral costs to be paid on their own, as well likely not having a parent that made near the amount that he did?

i didnt personally know him any more then any one of them. me sending 10 dollars to his family will not make me feel better about myself at all (altruistic behavior anyone?), because i need that 10 dollars a HELL of a lot more then his family does. most families that lose a parent would need it more then his family does, but that gets overlooked because he was a sports player.

Why so upset about it? It's not like your required to send in anything.

Again, the fund was set up more in response to people's wishes to donate, rather than your impression of them begging for our money. Darrent's family has never asked for a dime, nor have the Broncos. They simply provided the outlet for those who wish to donate to do so.

Why is that such a terrible thing?

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied

You know there is a tax break! Jesus, and I say that very little...you are disrespecting the fans, city and team with this tantrum over donations. So what he made a lot of money, he was still a human being and an idol to those leaving gang infested areas to become someone more then a statistic, yet it was still cut short by gang violence. If you want to help then help, if not then do not. How about you quit your childish crying and donate your time to the girls and boys club, or to the big brothers program...hell even take a blanket, food or toys to the homeless, try being a true human being and care, those who do not feel or care about such issues are the reason our punk *** society is falling apart!

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied

Your pretty young aren't you?

Don't send a dime if you don't want to, kid!

It's not going to make the family of Williams feel any worse that it doesn't make you fell any better!

Move on! Quit yer [email protected]!
    Last edited by stnzed; 02-04-2007, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tsiguy96
    replied
    Originally posted by gboxerlove
    Stupid post. Tsiguy is probably a sour middleclass republican who has no idea why he posted it in the first place.

BTW you speak about 'our pockets' like 'our tax dollars' are being allocated to this fund. Hello! Those who want to give, give. Those who don't, don't. If you send ten bucks you'll take huge step in feeling better about your life and how you view the world. I highly reccommend it.

Leave a comment:

• Denver Native
    replied
    Originally posted by gboxerlove
    Stupid post. Tsiguy is probably a sour middleclass republican who has no idea why he posted it in the first place.

BTW you speak about 'our pockets' like 'our tax dollars' are being allocated to this fund. Hello! Those who want to give, give. Those who don't, don't. If you send ten bucks you'll take huge step in feeling better about your life and how you view the world. I highly reccommend it.
    Not sure why you felt it was necessary to start out with a political statement, but other than that, I agree with the rest of your post.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    want us middle class folk to help pay for d-williams kids? they are probably a billion dollar corporation (dontknow what dan bolens worth), but whatever it is, i think it is highly rude to set up a foundation to help raise his kids. i miss the guy and wouldnt wish that on anyone, this is not an attack on d. williams, but rather on the broncos corporation. why dont they set up a charity foundation in his name, and why dont the broncos give money to the family? they have a lot more then we do, and we cant be expected to pay for someone elses family when many families arent getting by all that well on their own.

*waits to get flamed*

Maybe they want to give us middle class folk a chance to feel like we're helping his family in some small way.

Don't get too bent about it....I'm sure Pat Bowlen, the Broncos and their players are doing everything they can too!

Leave a comment:

• Denver Native
    replied
    You can contribute to the fund if you want to - it's that simple - WANT TO. Everyone can make their own choice. And YES, the Broncos paid for the funeral, and everything associated with it, plus they are offering $100,000 to find the person(s) who did this.

Also:

The Denver Broncos on Tuesday announced that they have combined the Darrent Williams Children’s Fund with a similar fund created by the National Football League Players Association.

Contributions can now be sent to:

Darrent Williams Trust Fund
    c/o NFL Players Association
    2021 L St., NW
    Washington, DC 20036

ALSO - here is something else that the Broncos are doing:

Broncos Announce Grant To Memorialize D. Williams
    (CBS4) DENVER The Denver Broncos have announced a new grant in memory of slain cornerback Darrent Williams.

The team will donate $50,000 each year to "a deserving agency in the Denver community that provides positive alternatives to youth."

Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting on New Year's Day in Denver. Police are still looking for suspects in the case.

The first memorial grant will be given to Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives, the group run by anti-gang activist Rev. Leon Kelly.

"Our organization has partnered with Open Door in many ways over the span of the past decade from alliance with the Annual Billy Thompson Kiwanis Golf Tournament in the mid-late 90’s to the integration of Reverend Kelly’s gang prevention messages through Lynch’s Leaders at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver," Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen said in a prepared statement. "It is through this association that we have come to believe in the commitment and the devotion of Reverend Leon Kelly to prevent gang violence through the work of Open Door, and it is a wonderful first step in formally memorializing Darrent."

Businessman Doug Morton of Morton Publishing Company said he is matching the Broncos' donation.

The Broncos organization has also been helping Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver and Denver Public Schools Foundation for years.

I think the Broncos have done, and are still doing plenty, and I am sure they will do more down the line.

Leave a comment:

• gboxerlove
    replied

Last edited by gboxerlove; 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tsiguy96
    replied
    dan pat whatever

hahah i suck at life

anyways, i just thought it was ridiculous that this happens to a guy who made a few million dollars for his family, why would they need more from our own pockets.

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    No flaming from me.

However, they DID set up a fund for his kids, and only offered the public the chance to contribute because so many expressed that THEY wanted to in the first place.

And I think you mean Pat Bowlen.

Somewhere in here is details about the fund. I forget which thread.

They didnt just open an account for others to donate to. They opened it with their money. Although I dont know how much. But you cant just go down to the bank an open an account with no money, you know?

I believe Pat paid for the funeral also out of his own pocket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X