PFT-Clarett Wants To Be Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT-Clarett Wants To Be Cut

Another Pro Football Talk exclusive! http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CLARETT WANTS TO BE CUT

As it turns out, T.O. isn't the only guy who might be faking a groin injury.

A league source tells us that Broncos rookie running back Maurice Clarett's groin injury is, in reality, a response by Clarett to the fact that he was stuck at the bottom of the depth chart at tailback.

Mo-Clo's reasoning (tortured as it may be) is that he can't earn the incentives in that stoopid no-bonus contract if he isn't getting touches on Sundays, and that he can't get touches on Sundays in September and beyond if he isn't getting reps with the ones in training camp and preseason.

So his grand plan, per the source, is to cajole the team into cutting him, in the hopes that he'll end up somewhere else . . . as the starter.

If Clarett were to be released, he'd first pass through waivers, giving every team a crack at picking up the rights to his current contract. So in order to get paid beyond his $230,000 salary, he'd have to get to the top of the depth chart in his new town.

But that presumes he'll even get out of Denver. As our own Len Lasagna reported on Thursday, the Broncos eventually will put Clarett on injured reserve, squirreling him away for the 2005 season.

Whether that means Clarett gets a chance to win the starting gig in 2006 remains to be seen. We're hearing that Clarett is even more turdish in camp than the run-of-the-mill Bronco turd-jobs, and our guess is that the team eventually will tire of his routine.

When they do, of course, they'll be acknowledging that Coach Teflon's propensity for finding diamonds in the dregs of the draft had temporarily gone on hiatus when they handed in the card at the last pick in round three with Clarett's name on it.

Clarett is a moron.

He seems intent on ruining his career anyway he can.

Comment

ProFootballTalk always makes things up. And plus it's in the: "RUMORS SECTION"

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
      2. Taxes
      3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

"...as our own Len Lasagna reported..."
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Don't believe this guys. This is fake.

They are hoping that you will think about Clarett' problems in the past and believe he would do this. Don't fall for that article. Nothing has come out of Denver that says this. His teammates would have elouded to this if it was true. Coaches would have also.
          Emancipate your mind!
          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by bigbones1
            Just a question.........Were you one of the guys who was praising Clarett as a team player who has matured and changed his attitude when he signed that incentive laden contract?

No.

Whether the article has any truth in it or not, he's still a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Snk16
              ProFootballTalk always makes things up. And plus it's in the: "RUMORS SECTION"
              This doesn't sound like it's made up.

If Clarett is really faking his injury in hopes of being cut, then that changes everything.

I think that's exactly what the Broncos will do. Put Clarett on the IR for the season and take another look at him next year. They can't cut him or he'd be claimed off waivers before they could sign him to the practice squad and they can't keep him on the 53 man roster if he's not ready to contribute this season.

If he had any brains at all, he'd realize that this is a chance to learn how to play in the NFL, learn the system, get in top shape, work with the coaches whenever possible, and generally make an impression as a total professional. That sort of word gets around and even if he couldn't make the Broncos he'd wind up with a lucretive offer somewhere else.

Of course, he'll do NONE of that. Instead it appears as though he'll stew in his own juices for a while and demand to be traded, sulk and generally act out, which will end up in his being released next season.

Then he'll act like the NFL owes him a living and be surprised when nobody else jumps at the chance to sign him for $10 million.

I'm beginning to think my initial reaction, that Clarett was a big mistake was right all along. He hasn't learned a thing from his mistakes.
              sigpic

Comment

This clearly belongs in Rumor Mill, with all the other credible scoops.

Comment

Move this to the rumor mill.

This needs to go to the rumor mill because that's all this is.
                  Emancipate your mind!
                  The People's Poster

Comment

I don't really want to get into the debate about whether this is true or not.

However, ProFootballTalk really jeopardized its credibility with their presentation in articles. They are often vulgar, unprofessional, and they skew most of what they say with unparalelled bias, especially when it comes to the Broncos and Shanahan.

I really believe Shanny and this year's team is going to get the opportunity to prove the media wrong. The Broncos are taking a really bad rap from a lot of reports, as many of you have discussed in other threads already.

But most of the announcers I actually respect, have not sold out the Broncos already. They have questioned the moves, but without judgment on how they will play out. I much prefer the job of those like Chris Mortensen, Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, Steve Young, sometimes Mark Schlereth, Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, etc. I'm not looking for the media to praise the Broncos, but I at least prefer those who give both the negatives AND the positives when discussing a team. Unlike ProFootballTalk, Len Pasquarelli, Sean Salisbury, Vic Carruci, etc.

Anyway, whether ProFootballTalk has a real lead here or not, I really don't care because of the way they present themselves. They write for effect more than they do for anything else.

I sure hope we see Clarett dispell these rumors, but maybe we won't, maybe he is still the same Maurice Clarett from Ohio St. I'd like to believe he's changed for the better, but only time and carries will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
                      I don't really want to get into the debate about whether this is true or not.

However, ProFootballTalk really jeopardized its credibility with their presentation in articles. They are often vulgar, unprofessional, and they skew most of what they say with unparalelled bias, especially when it comes to the Broncos and Shanahan.

I really believe Shanny and this year's team is going to get the opportunity to prove the media wrong. The Broncos are taking a really bad rap from a lot of reports, as many of you have discussed in other threads already.

But most of the announcers I actually respect, have not sold out the Broncos already. They have questioned the moves, but without judgment on how they will play out. I much prefer the job of those like Chris Mortensen, Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, Steve Young, sometimes Mark Schlereth, Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, etc. I'm not looking for the media to praise the Broncos, but I at least prefer those who give both the negatives AND the positives when discussing a team. Unlike ProFootballTalk, Len Pasquarelli, Sean Salisbury, Vic Carruci, etc.

Anyway, whether ProFootballTalk has a real lead here or not, I really don't care because of the way they present themselves. They write for effect more than they do for anything else.

I sure hope we see Clarett dispell these rumors, but maybe we won't, maybe he is still the same Maurice Clarett from Ohio St. I'd like to believe he's changed for the better, but only time and carries will tell.
                      I couldn't care less about their bias or whether they kiss Shanahan's behind or not. I just skip right over their ripping the team. The interesting bits is when they quote inside sources to the effect that Clarett is faking his injury (or perhaps exaggerating the seriousness of it) so that he can get released and picked up by another team that wouldn't have 4 RBs ahead of him in the depth chart.

If that is true it paints a very different picture. It also explains the rather testy response of Shanahan in saying "he can't work his way up the depth chart if he's injured." I wondered why he would say that. Shanahan normally doesn't rip his players in public and his company line has been the often repeated "the-depth-chart-isn't-final-at-this-point-and-every-player-will-have-a-chance-to play-and-we'll-see-what-they-can-do."

It sounded to me like Shanahan is a bit miffed at Clarett. This could be why.

As for the Broncos being stupid to draft Clarett, the truth is that a number of teams were preparing to draft him in the 4th round, starting with Dallas 8 picks later. So, if the Broncos haddn't drafted him, he still would have gone in the 4th or 5th round. People saying that the 3rd round was too high forget that it was the LAST pick of the 3rd round.

Bill Parcells is no fool and he's won SBs and been to plenty of Championship games. If he was set to grab him, clearly there was a lot of interest in Clarett. If he doesn't work out that doesn't mean Shanahan was wrong for taking a chance on him. Of all the draft picks I've ripped Shanahan for making, this one you can't really complain.
                      Last edited by Cugel; 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

If there is any truth in this then I'd be very disappointed in him. I was one of those who put down his behaviour in the past to immaturity and felt he deserved a second chance. If this rumour proves to be true then this shows that he is a deluded, immature individual living in cloud cuckoo land!

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                          I couldn't care less about their bias or whether they kiss Shanahan's behind or not. I just skip right over their ripping the team. The interesting bits is when they quote inside sources to the effect that Clarett is faking his injury (or perhaps exaggerating the seriousness of it) so that he can get released and picked up by another team that wouldn't have 4 RBs ahead of him in the depth chart.

If that is true it paints a very different picture. It also explains the rather testy response of Shanahan in saying "he can't work his way up the depth chart if he's injured." I wondered why he would say that. Shanahan normally doesn't rip his players in public and his company line has been the often repeated "the-depth-chart-isn't-final-at-this-point-and-every-player-will-have-a-chance-to play-and-we'll-see-what-they-can-do."

It sounded to me like Shanahan is a bit miffed at Clarett. This could be why.

As for the Broncos being stupid to draft Clarett, the truth is that a number of teams were preparing to draft him in the 4th round, starting with Dallas 8 picks later. So, if the Broncos haddn't drafted him, he still would have gone in the 4th or 5th round. People saying that the 3rd round was too high forget that it was the LAST pick of the 3rd round.

Bill Parcells is no fool and he's won SBs and been to plenty of Championship games. If he was set to grab him, clearly there was a lot of interest in Clarett. If he doesn't work out that doesn't mean Shanahan was wrong for taking a chance on him. Of all the draft picks I've ripped Shanahan for making, this one you can't really complain.
                          I agree, I just didn't really want to get into the things the article says until I hear similar info. from a source who handles themselves with a little more professionalism. PFT's source inside the Broncos might be right, and Shanny probably is pissed at Clarett right now, but the story and info is still tainted to me to an extent because of the crap PFT surrounds it with.

They may have good sources, but they might exaggerate those sources as well. I don't care about the bias or ripping the way they do it, but the way they do it shows me that PFT can't always be trusted for being fully accurate or responsible with their reporting. The crap parts just wipe out their credibility to me in what would be an interesting lead if it was presented in a different way.

Comment

If he wanted to be cut, why did he sign that contract with us. He wants to work for his money.

Plus, who is Len Lasagna. Seriously.

Oh yea. Put this in the Rumor Mill.
                            Last edited by Broncs Bomber; 08-12-2005, 11:02 AM.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
                            RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                            Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
                            -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Originally posted by bigbones1
                              No they don't.
                              I wouldn't say that PFT always makes things up either, but they do often choose wording that's leading. I have seen times where they retract/reword a previous story after the report causes a raucous in some front office somewhere; just to clarify the ambiguous nature of the points that they so innocently reported as fact.

A few times I have emailed them regarding inaccuracies (usually involving stats). They do this to make their play on words more fitting and witty. Surprisingly, every time I email them I get a reply (from Florio's email address) that essentially says "Thanks, but no thanks, now get back to your life of unfulfilled dreams." That's disturbing to me because it tells me that they're not necessarily in this to report the truth (especially since they never correct their "goof"). They may have contacts galore and an inside track to information (and rumors) that most of us don't, but make no doubt about it; they're in this to get read - and it's working.

Even though they seem to have a big stiffy for slamming Shanny and the Broncos I still read it every day. For the most part their piece is informative and funny as hell.
                              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X