Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abraham trade immanent

"Abraham on way out

A trade of Jets defensive end John Abraham is "pretty much done," according to an NFL source, but that transaction along with many others by the Jets and other teams continued to be impacted by the league's growing labor crisis.

Details of the swap were sketchy -- the trading partner and what the Jets would get in return for dealing their disgruntled sackmaster were unspecified. But this much is known: An Abraham trade won't help the Jets get under the salary cap by today's 10 p.m. deadline.

By one accounting, the Jets are $11.1 million over the projected cap of $94.5 million, and a large portion of that figure is the $8.33 million for the franchise tag they pinned on Abraham for the second straight year.

But the Jets can't trade Abraham until the start of the NFL's new calendar year at midnight, meaning they must clear money by this afternoon in other ways.

They could do it by releasing center Kevin Mawae, guard Pete Kendall or both. Mawae is due to count slightly less than $4.5 million under the cap, Kendall slightly more. There are also talks aimed at reducing the cap figures of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and others.The Jets also will reluctantly allow tight end Chris Baker to become an unrestricted free agent Friday.

-- Randy Lange

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODg5NTM2"

Now, I got this off another board, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps it's a subscription piece...

More material:

--The Bergen Record has Abraham on the move, perhaps to Detroit or Denver, in exchange for a first-round pick, which would then be swapped, with the Jets' No.4 pick, to Houston for the top pick.
    Last edited by WABronco; 03-02-2006, 12:24 PM.

Broncos Will(have) Traded for John Abraham!!

As per my *source* (he's right 99% of the time), the Jets have traded John Abraham to Denver for either their 22nd OR 29th pick (he hasn't heard anything yet). The deal is done, however.

NEW INFO:

My *source* has confirmed that the Jets will be trading John Abraham to Denver in exchange for one of their first round picks. He says that although it is foggy, it should be for the 29th pick.

He is telling me that it could be announced today, but MOST LIKELY TOMORROW. He says that it will probably be announced with all of the other moves the Jets will make tomorrow.

-From a reiable source from the ign football board!!
    -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

That would be awsome if it was official, but im not sure thats reliable, we dont have the cap space.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODg5NTM2

Try this one.

With as much talk as there has been about the Broncos next targeting Abraham, and Mort's comments that these players the Broncos cut were leaving regardless, you can almost put two and two together and map the Broncos plan. What I don't get is that we haven't exactly created room to get him...

I sure hope it is us, but there are as many "yes's" as there are "no's" when looking for clues...

Comment

what about TO? we need some help on offense, i dont care about abraham bring so damn offense!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL
            As per my *source* (he's right 99% of the time), the Jets have traded John Abraham to Denver for either their 22nd OR 29th pick (he hasn't heard anything yet). The deal is done, however.

NEW INFO:

My *source* has confirmed that the Jets will be trading John Abraham to Denver in exchange for one of their first round picks. He says that although it is foggy, it should be for the 29th pick.

He is telling me that it could be announced today, but MOST LIKELY TOMORROW. He says that it will probably be announced with all of the other moves the Jets will make tomorrow.

Muahahahahaha, excellent......

I picked up a NY media report saying that Abraham will be dealt in the next few days as well, saying the trade is pretty much a done deal.

Frankly, I won't be jumping off a cliff if it is for the no. 29 (since we didn't have a suitable second rounder), but hopefully we'll be getting some extra pick compensation for giving up our first. Look at it this way: is there a better option available at no. 29 (one who is proven, established, and more talented)? Answer is no IMO...

Comment

NEW INFO:

I hope its true, we definitely need a passrushing DE, and Abrahams the best option out there.. but with us scrambling to get under the cap, is this possible??

Comment

NEW INFO:

Does this mean NO T.O.,THAT SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by broncobuckeyes
                  what about TO? we need some help on offense, i dont care about abraham bring so damn offense!!!!
                  PEOPLE WHO WANT JOHN ARE STUPID WE NEED TERRELL OWENS

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                    http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODg5NTM2

Try this one.

With as much talk as there has been about the Broncos next targeting Abraham, and Mort's comments that these players the Broncos cut were leaving regardless, you can almost put two and two together and map the Broncos plan. What I don't get is that we haven't exactly created room to get him...

I sure hope it is us, but there are as many "yes's" as there are "no's" when looking for clues...
                    Agreed...

Maybe this means either Lepsis or Warren isn't coming back. A cap guy on the mane is saying that we will be approx. 12.5 mil under if we don't bring those two back together, so maybe it's just one of 'em.

Comment

Look our O was fine but for like 3 years we have had no pass rush!! Imagine if we could get pressure on the Qb wwithout blitzing!!
                      -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

NEW INFO:

Firstly how do you anticipate that Denver can fit Abraham's $8.5m cap hit when they are only $900,000 under the cap at the moment, so he'd have to re-do a deal with the Jets and it'd be a sign and trade deal.

Secondly Clayton from ESPN has already stated the best the Jets will get is a second rounder.

I think your source is talking out his proverbial ass!!

Comment

Originally posted by The New Guy
                          I great defence is a good offence all all we need to have a great defence is a dominant pass rusher. We can pick up chad jackson with our no. 22, he will be a good one.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The New Guy
                            Wow...I love the way you formulate an argument...You should be on the debate team or something...

To the thread starter: I don't know your source, nor will I attempt to discredit you, I just hope he is right.

I won't mind dropping pick 29 for John, as long as we work out a new deal for him. This paves the way for a top receiver or defensive tackle (Brunkley) at pick 22, with an outside chance at a surprise runner. If this deal does in fact go through, I will be overjoyed.

Comment

Look our O was fine but for like 3 years we have had no pass rush!! Imagine if we could get pressure on the Qb wwithout blitzing!!
                              If you're right (I'm following you blindly here), you will enter what is known as WAB's "top 5." That is all...

Comment

Working...
                              X