This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Game day thread: Week 11 2004 Broncos vs Saints

First time post. Be kind! I lived in Phoenix for 14 years. During that time I became a die hard fan of a skinny kid QB at ASU. In the Rose Bowl his senior year, ASU undefeated and a National Championship on the line, fourth quarter, less than 2 mins to go, fourth down at about the 7 (if memory serves). QB drops back to pass, nothing there, scrambles, breaks one tackle, another tackle, heads for the goal line, he's hit, he dives, TOUCHDOWN and the lead! Considering what was on the line, this could have been one of the all time great plays in college football. However, this play is little known because, Ohio State got the ball back, and a soft prevent defense let them move the length of the field and score to win the game as time ran out. I just wanted you to know, Bronco fans, the heart, the drive, the passion, and those unmeasurable intangibles that lie inside your QB. He plays because he loves the game (not for himself, his stats, etc) and his teamates know it. Stats do not tell the whole story. I see another Super Bowl in the Bronco's future.
    Last edited by riiiiick; 11-17-2004, 03:35 PM.

I never saw that play........... i always thought of jake like that though, like i said before alot of our players this year seem more like team players, but wow....... im glad we have jake, though i was before i read this too
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Broncos-Saints Preview

O.K. guys I need you to rate this from 1-10, It is for my school paper, it's the Thanksgiving Edition so it's very important, your input is appreciated. The article is due at 7:00 tomorrow so I need your input A.S.A.P

Broncos Ready to Start Late Season run vs. Saints.

After Starting 5-1, Denver Has Lost Two of the Last Three Games

The Denver Broncos haven't won a playoff game since the 1998 Super Bowl, and have struggled in the second half of the last three seasons.

Coming out of its bye, however, Denver is rested and ready to make a late-season run.

The Broncos look to keep pace with San Diego in the AFC West when they try for their second straight victory in a matchup with the New Orleans Saints.

Denver avoided a three-game losing streak heading into its off week with a 31-13 rout of Houston on Nov. 7.

The defense shut down the Texans all day, Jake Plummer threw four touchdowns without any interceptions and Reuben Droughns rushed for over 100 yards for the fourth time in five games.

Denver looked more like the team that started the season 5-1. Now the Broncos hope the time off will help it pull away from the Chargers in the division.

"I do feel a lot fresher going into the second half of the season," said Droughns, who had 30 rushing yards through four weeks but is now ninth in the AFC with 678 yards.

"This bye week helped me out tremendously," said Droughns "my legs are going to be a lot fresher, and I'm going to hit those holes a lot faster."

The Broncos have gone 12-12 to close out the last three seasons, and coach Mike Shanahan is looking to improve on that.

"You've got to start peaking in November and December and playing your best football," Shanahan said. "Then, you wait and see. It changes every year."

Denver could have safety John Lynch back for this game. He broke the bone above his tailbone Oct. 31, but trainer Steve Antonopulos was optimistic the veteran would be ready for the Saints.

The Broncos will probably be without defensive end Trevor Pryce again. Originally expected back around now after back surgery, Pryce is looking at early December.

"The good news is the back is fine," Shanahan said. "It's when he pushes off that he doesn't feel good about that. Hopefully, one day, he comes in and says he feels good about pushing off, and then he's ready to go."

New Orleans is playing its fourth straight game against a team from the AFC West,and is 2-1 in those contests after defeating the Kansas City Chiefs 27-20 on Sunday.

The Saints had dropped four of five before the win, due in large part to a defense that was allowing almost 30 points per game. Against the Chiefs, they allowed 497 yards but held Kansas City nearly 10 points below its average.

That was enough for New Orleans coach Jim Haslett to be happy on Monday.

"The yardage bothers me, but it really didn't because of who they are," said Haslett, whose team ranks last in the NFL in yards and points allowed. "That yardage doesn't win games; those points win games."

The Saints have made several changes to the defensive lineup since the start of the season. A trade brought cornerback Mike McKenzie from Green Bay, and he started his fourth straight game Sunday and got his first interception.

Fakhir Brown has replaced injured Ashley Ambrose at the other cornerback position. Strongside linebacker Sedrick Hodge is back in the starting lineup after being suspended for the first four games.
      Veteran Orlando Ruff, one of the team's best run defenders, has replaced rookie Courtney Watson at middle linebacker and made a game-saving interception at the Saints' 4-yard line with less than two minutes to play Sunday.

Willie Whitehead, the team's most versatile defensive lineman, played for the first time Sunday after returning from offseason knee surgery.

"We're starting to feel comfortable together," Haslett said. "We need to win games and we're going play the guys that give us the best chance to win right now."

Standings: Broncos -- 1st place (tied), AFC West. Saints -- 2nd place, NFC South.

Broncos Leaders:

Offense -- Plummer, 2,282 passing yards and 19 passing TDs; Droughns, 678 rushing yards; Rod Smith, 44 receptions and 637 receiving yards; Ashley Lelie, 5 receiving TDs.

Defense -- Reggie Hayward, 3 1/2 sacks; Champ Bailey, 2 INTs.

Saints Leaders:

Offense -- Aaron Brooks, 2,129 passing yards and 11 passing TDs; Deuce McAllister, 470 rushing yards and 6 rushing TDs; Joe Horn, 54 receptions, 758 receiving yards and 5 receiving TDs.

Defense -- Charles Grant, 7 1/2 sacks; Ambrose, 3 INTs.

Broncos Team Rank:

Rushing Offense -- 137.8 yards per game (6th in NFL)
      Passing Offense -- 248.1 ypg (8th)
      Total Offense -- 385.9 ypg (5th).
      Rushing Defense -- 106.1 ypg (8th)
      Passing Defense -- 168.1 ypg (2nd)
      Total Defense -- 274.2 ypg (3rd).

Saints Team Rank: Rushing Offense -- 93.6 yards per game (26th)
      Passing Offense -- 226.0 ypg (13th)
      Total Offense -- 319.6 ypg (19th).
      Rushing Defense -- 149.0 ypg (32nd)
      Passing Defense -- 275.0 ypg (32nd)
      Total Defense -- 424.0 ypg (32nd).

I personally think I made it too long, I don't know what parts I should delete.
      Last edited by Portis'HomeDogg; 11-18-2004, 06:03 AM.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
      RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
      Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
      -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

THAT IS VERY NICE MAN!!!

If I would get my site back on track, would you mind doing some articles and helpin me out?
        sigpic

Comment

sure, just so long as I get credit somewhere. I still think my article is too long and I don't know where to cut some off

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
          Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
          -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

found out what the problem was...I copied & pasted the Broncos story 3 times lol

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
            -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Originally posted by Portis'HomeDogg
              sure, just so long as I get credit somewhere. I still think my article is too long and I don't know where to cut some off
              I could make a section called like "The weekly home dogg" or something similar. And then you can write 2 or 3 articles a week?
              sigpic

Comment

sure, I'll mostly do MLB free agents, Injury reports, and Nuggets and Broncos previews & postviews

Or i'll try to whip one up of whatever you want me to write about. Give me the assignments through PM or AIM. I've got to get to sleep.

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Only one comment, this part needs some work.
                  "The Broncos have gone 12-12 to close out the last three seasons, and coach Mike Shanahan is looking to reverse that trend."

How does one reverse 12-12? Maybe you should say "improve on its 12-12 record over the last 3 seasons"

Other than that it seemed to be on point!

Comment

I see your point lol

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                    -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Great job man

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad I got on to see if anyone posted anything, otherwise I would have turned in that article and it sounded kinda fishy. lol, well speaking of school, I need to get there, see ya!

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                        -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Thanks Mofo for the response. It is refreshing in modern day sports to see an athelete giving all he's got for the team. The Broncos seem to have a number of those guys.

Comment

I saw that play on TV in 1997, first time I had ever seen Jake play... amazing play, and I really felt sorry for him after David Boston hit the endzone and gave the Buckeyes the win. I felt really bad for Jake after seeing his face once the game was over... he had the look as if he had not done enough to get the Win

Comment

I remember watching that game as well...that was the second time I had seen Plummer play.
                              I remember earlier that season, staying up late here (on the east coast) and watching ASU pull out a HUGE upset against Nebraska, I think they won 19-0, but i really don't know...actually, that doesn't sound right. That was a #1 ranked Nebraska team, possibly the upset of the season.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Working...
                              X