Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All itvwluld price is that the broncos have some serious talent on the defense for stopping that team but the coaching staff doesn’t have a clue as to what the hell they are doing! That is what it boils down.

Comment

• Keenum Overthrows DT or did he?

I'm not going to say Keenum is the "answer" at QB but I'm also not going to say he is 100% the problem.
      Take a look at the replay of the apparent overthrow to DT.
      Watch DT . He fights through the jam & as the DB turns his head back towards the LOS, DT is just coasting for 3 yards & then when he sees the ball is actually coming his way, he turns on the speed. It looks to me like DT wasn't expecting the ball so he didn't try. The flip side to this is maybe that's way the play is designed in order to freeze the safety. We don't know for sure either way.

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/vi...res=1538595576

Comment

• Originally posted by JCJE View Post
        I'm not going to say Keenum is the "answer" at QB but I'm also not going to say he is 100% the problem.
        Watch DT . He fights through the jam & as the DB turns his head back towards the LOS, DT is just coasting for 3 yards & then when he sees the ball is actually coming his way, he turns on the speed. It looks to me like DT wasn't expecting the ball so he didn't try. The flip side to this is maybe that's way the play is designed in order to freeze the safety. We don't know for sure either way.

it doesn't really matter why or how. What matters is....incomplete...
        sigpic

Comment

• The missed pass to DT was pivotal, but to pin it all on that is a lot like saying that the Raheem Morris blunder in our '12 playoff loss to the Ravens cost us that game. There were a half dozen other major factors that contributed to that loss, and many as well vs. KC on Monday night.

Keenum's mistakes and poor coaching in the last ten minutes killed it. Despite Mahomes stellar ability, I think we could have won 26-20 or 30-20 if we had utilized Freeman more, and chewed up more clock. These issues aren't new, and have been with us to varying degrees (in wins and losses alike) since last year.
          Last edited by L.M.; 10-03-2018, 12:26 PM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• doesn't matter how or why we lost but here we are discussing it.

Comment

doesn't matter how or why we lost but here we are discussing it.
              the reasons we lost are simple....KC is a better team with better coaching.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Had Keenum hit DT in stride, The Broncos beat the powerful KC team, and we go 3 and 1. It was really that close. Sure, Keenum failed to complete the pass, but here's the bigger picture in my mind....few were giving us a chance on Monday Night, and for a good part of the game, we were the better team. And this Mahomes is seemingly the real deal...as are many of his O weapons.

So folks, if we win that game, are we talking a whole loot different, because if we are I see that as a bit unfair. Maybe credit should go partly to where it should go...to KC, their apparent star QB, and the fact they are ranked close to the top as we speak.

Listen, I am not keen on "Keen"um. I was actually in The Cousins camp, even though the cost was steep and the player is not in a handful of the best in the game. But I wanted that deal so we could move on and pick other key players not called quarterback. Hard to say if that would be the better play, or hard to know what would have happened had we chosen one of the young QBs in the draft. All in all, I think Keenum is what he has been, a good backup with starter capability on the right team. But he is not a star type. Not his fault. And he did have an excellent season with The Vikes.

But lets think about this for a minute.....Mahomes was challenged throughout the game. Heck, that left handed pass, with Miller all over his throwing side, was simply amazing. Few could pull it off. And remember, this guy's reactions are ultra mature for a player his age. And one can not help but be optimistic about our newfound run game....utilizing two good rookies, who bring different looks to the table. Freeman made some crazy good runs, seemingly stopped on several rushes, only to fight his way forward for extra yards. And Lindsay is overachieving each week, given his undrafted status, with some talents that most drafted backs would like to have. These two men are so complementary, and with so many years ahead! This is what I describe as great drafting!

I won't talk about DT (it's been done), but Sanders is still a gamer, and Sutton is the future.

As for our D....not quite back to SB days, but pretty solid. Again, measure them to other teams KC has played, and you get a sense that we are not too bad at this point. From the get go, I have wondered if our Dbacks were going to make the grade, and it is something to watch as the year progresses. I think our front 7 are fine...also, give Chubb some time, because if he goes into another gear, the value add will be significant to the effectiveness of the unit.

Hey, this is a MB. Folks have a right to talk openly about the team, even if it is negative or quite critical. I too am critical at times. And sure, 2 straight losses is not what we want to be talking about. And yes, maybe we have a decent QB, but not a top tier one at that. And maybe our HC is still struggling. But geez, had DT walked that baby in, this would have been a very different board this week.

Here's to open debate.:thumb:
                It's easy to look at DT and Keenum on that play and desire more from them both and though each played their part (or missed ). The larger issue is not that single play it's the meltdown on both sides of the ball that led up to the point of losing a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter - possibly more had they not played for points on their last drive that led to a field goal.

First we ran the ball with abandon and ran it well. The blocking problems we saw in pass protection were not an issue in the running game. In a press conference VJ said "We ran the ball to control the game, but you throw the ball to score." Excuse me?! What? Is he trying to fix Keenum's stats? This might explain the cryptic decision on 3rd and 4 in field goal range after pounding KC with the run to go to a pass down field, I believe to DT, in double coverage that was high and well out of bounds. Bad play call, bad decision with the ball. The way we had been moving the ball at that time there is a fair chance we could have ended that drive with 7 points instead of 3 and all of a sudden it's a different game, possibly 27 -14 instead of 24 - 14.

Second the defense fell apart in the 4th. Kudos to Mahomes, I agree he's fun to watch but remember for most of the game the pressure had him off. He was inaccurate and off his game and looked very beatable. He made some great plays (the left handed throw being a great example) but when you have the offense finally on their heels when the pressure was finally dialed back up, we blitz on a 2nd and 30 and let him throw a 22 yard pass and a 3rd and 8 on the next snap. That was a very wasted effort by Woods, playing smart for most of the game and then cocky.

We should never of had to rely on a comeback and the final two plays to win. The win was already there but coaches let it go by very poor decisions.

Comment

doesn't matter how or why we lost but here we are discussing it.
                  Perhaps it's above his pay grade to add anything of value to the discussion?

To your point, when I saw the play live, I thought,
                  "Did Thomas give 100% or was that another $12M-dropped-ball effort by Thomas?"
                  I'm unsure but to your point, maybe it was designed for Thomas to appear out of the
                  play, only to be in the play? If so, Thomas is apparently too slow to make that play.
                  Or perhaps Keenum over threw it? *shrugs*

At 2-2, Denver is slated to pick 17th.
                  http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

With LAR, or KC most likely winning it all, and with CHI and NO behind their heels,
                  unless Denver drastically improves, then I'm changing my expectation from
                  Lombardi to current player progression, and everything offseason (draft/FA, etc,.).

Comment

• The problem isn’t the optics of 3-1, as opposed to 2-2... We saw what happened last season, when defense lost faith in TS-Woods-VJ, and they pretty much mailed in the effort after that.

Most likely, losing on MNF wipes away dreams of winning the DIV.

The offensive effort that 4th quarter is alarming and might sap defense of their belief in this 2018 season.

Bottom line is we are basically 3 games behind KC at the quarter pole, despite having 3 of the 4 games at home.

Hey, hopefully this is the year we play our best football ball in NOV-DEC instead of Sept.

Hopefully we procur a WC spot. With our defense and running game... we would be a tough out in Jan.

Comment

DT was not coasting for 3 yards. You think a person can go from zero to top speed in one or two steps? No, you build up to speed. You just admitted he had to fight out of the jam. He ran a good route and got open. That ball landed a good 5 yards out of bounds. Case overthrew him, plain and simple. To try and spin this and say DT was partly at fault is beyond me.

Comment

• Tankathon has us taking de monteaz sweat. Id rather it be adams, edwards or wilkins according to their draft...
                        Last edited by armedequation; 10-03-2018, 01:19 PM.
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                          The missed pass to DT was pivotal, but to pin it all on that is a lot like saying that the Raheem Morris blunder in our '12 playoff loss to the Ravens cost us that game. There were a half dozen other major factors that contributed to that loss, and many as well vs. KC on Monday night.

Keenum's mistakes and poor coaching in the last ten minutes killed it. Despite Mahomes stellar ability, I think we could have won 26-20 or 30-20 if we had utilized Freeman more, and chewed up more clock. These issues aren't new, and have been with us to varying degrees (in wins and losses alike) since last year.
                          Agreed, especially about using Freeman more. Still scratching my head on that one. But you can't pin the loss on any one thing or person. Mistakes were made (by both teams), but great plays were made as well (by both teams). Overall, we played a great game and could have won. In the end, to me it boils down to Mahomes (and the Chiefs) made the plays he/they had to and Case/Broncos didn't. That's not me trying to knock Case, just acknowledging fact. Mahomes looks like he can be special. And yet we still almost won.

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                            Tankathon has us taking dt monteaz sweat. Id rather it be adams, edwards or wilkins according to their draft...
                            Agreed. I would prefer Denver draft OT David Edwards (6'7 315 Wisconsin)
                            or an other OT at 17 because Bolles might be a better fit at RT or RG.

Comment

• Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
                              Agreed. I would prefer Denver draft OT David Edwards (6'7 315 Wisconsin)
                              or an other OT at 17 because Bolles might be a better fit at RT or RG.
                              why do you think this?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cirehawk View Post
                                DT was not coasting for 3 yards. You think a person can go from zero to top speed in one or two steps? No, you build up to speed. You just admitted he had to fight out of the jam. He ran a good route and got open. That ball landed a good 5 yards out of bounds. Case overthrew him, plain and simple. To try and spin this and say DT was partly at fault is beyond me.
                                Do me a favor, go re-watch the clip.
                                Watch the DB & his speed compared to DT's speed. The DB is dropping off his coverage of DT so he was definitely not sprinting & neither was DT. Look closely & you'll see both of them start to sprint as soon as they see the ball is coming their way.

The sidelines are 6 feet wide. The ball landed in the paint so it clearly wasn't 5 yards out of bounds. If DT had started his sprint a little sooner, maybe he would have caught that ball.

Remember, I also said this:
                                The flip side to this is maybe that's the way the play is designed in order to freeze the safety. We don't know for sure either way.

If it was designed for DT to slow play it to hold the safety to the inside, then maybe it was just bad timing or maybe it was a bad throw or maybe DT slow played it a fraction too long or maybe it was combination of all 3.

The point is, none of us knows for sure one way or the other so to make a definitive statement like "Case overthrew him plain & simple" is a little presumptuous, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X