X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    I am thinking he is working himself into the backup role.maybe bottles will go back into retirement,.
    The way things are going, Bortles should remain on the roster and be kept away from the team just in case the quarterback room goes down with the virus.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    I am thinking he is working himself into the backup role.maybe bottles will go back into retirement,.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Was the triple coverage int to Jeudy "trap coverage"?

I do not know but Rypien has a interesting comment in his presser about how the defense fooled him with trap coverage. According to him in his presser the defense tried playing the coverage again later in the game and he beat it for a big play.

He seems pretty confident in what he is talking about...if it is true the defense fooled him into a int and same game he adjusted and made a big play that imo says he is more capable than a lot of other people we have had around here for years.

Rypien is not a starting QB type player but he may be a REALLY good back up. Lock should have another one of his conversations with PM to discuss how PM would put the QB room to work on preparation. imo Lock + Rypien could be a real good combo for us
    My concern is if we ultimately go with Lock (QB1) and Bortles (QB2), we will probably have to kick Rypien back to the Practice Squad, from where I understand he could be poached by other teams.

If we think that Rypien is/can be a strong QB2, we need to keep him on the active roster.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    I am not entirely sure it was related to Fant leaving. Locking on to Jeudy and throwing into triple coverage was a poor decision for the single play that touches the ball every play. If Fant was an issue that caused him to lock on Jeudy he still had the option to throw it away.

Maybe he was more a different QB after taking so many hits. Being young and very inexperienced could be a big factor when pressure is constant and hands get on him and he hits the deck. I'll give him credit for standing in the pocket and taking hits and would not be surprised if that got into his head.

Either way, back-to-back drives with interceptions, 4 in two games is not good.
    Was the triple coverage int to Jeudy "trap coverage"?

I do not know but Rypien has a interesting comment in his presser about how the defense fooled him with trap coverage. According to him in his presser the defense tried playing the coverage again later in the game and he beat it for a big play.

He seems pretty confident in what he is talking about...if it is true the defense fooled him into a int and same game he adjusted and made a big play that imo says he is more capable than a lot of other people we have had around here for years.

Rypien is not a starting QB type player but he may be a REALLY good back up. Lock should have another one of his conversations with PM to discuss how PM would put the QB room to work on preparation. imo Lock + Rypien could be a real good combo for us

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    We beat arguably the worst team in the NFL, with their help due to dumb penalties. All this means is we won't go 0-16.
    At a time when there is so much strife going on, even that single win has so much more significance than it would normally.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Has anyone in the media even talked about why Gase called those timeouts?
    Jets were on defense. Maybe Gregg Williams called them.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Has anyone in the media even talked about why Gase called those timeouts?

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I saw quite a few good things out of Darnold. I don't know why the Jets fans and many others are so sure he would be passed by. They really lack top talent on offense and I think he can be a really good QB with a few key pieces around.

I was impressed with Rypien and his touch. The INTs aside, he did hit a few deep balls and the close miss to Hamilton kept the Jets D from playing so close to the line. We have the guys to make teams pay with those type of shots, I hope Lock can show improvement in this area.
    The issue with Lock is, because his arm is so much stronger, he has to really get a feel for how fast his WRs are coming open deep because he can actually overthrow them when he throws too soon. Rypien just has to do his best to get it out there, from that point it’s all on the WR to adjust. All but 1 big pass play was against a single high safety (Patrick had one late against Cover 2), they didn’t respect his arm to beat them deep. Problem for them was, Desir misplayed the TD to Jeudy (went through his hands and off his helmet a bit as Jeudy corralled it in) allowing Jeudy to catch it and Patrick was getting by them early in the route allowing to Rypien to throw it with Patrick only 10-20 yards into the route. Lock will rarely see press coverage with a single high safety no matter how erratic he’s been throwing deep so he’ll rarely get the chance to throw it that early in the route especially since so far in his young career he’s waiting to see his WRs get a step before throwing it vs reading the CBs hips and anticipating the WR blowing by the CB.

In short Lock needs to develop chemistry for deep passes whereas Rypien just needs his WR to get even off the line because he can’t overthrow them unless their name is Daesean Hamilton because he has no idea how to track a football further than 8 yards off the LoS.

Leave a comment:

• atwaterandstir
    replied
    I saw quite a few good things out of Darnold. I don't know why the Jets fans and many others are so sure he would be passed by. They really lack top talent on offense and I think he can be a really good QB with a few key pieces around.

I was impressed with Rypien and his touch. The INTs aside, he did hit a few deep balls and the close miss to Hamilton kept the Jets D from playing so close to the line. We have the guys to make teams pay with those type of shots, I hope Lock can show improvement in this area.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    The late interceptions also came after Fant went out. Losing a safety net TE clearly shook his confidence a bit. Ryp was a completely different passer without Fant and we cannot afford to lose him. For many reasons.
    I am not entirely sure it was related to Fant leaving. Locking on to Jeudy and throwing into triple coverage was a poor decision for the single play that touches the ball every play. If Fant was an issue that caused him to lock on Jeudy he still had the option to throw it away.

Maybe he was more a different QB after taking so many hits. Being young and very inexperienced could be a big factor when pressure is constant and hands get on him and he hits the deck. I'll give him credit for standing in the pocket and taking hits and would not be surprised if that got into his head.

Either way, back-to-back drives with interceptions, 4 in two games is not good.

Leave a comment:

• Megalodon30
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I don’t think defenses are going to play Rypien much differently until Rypien shows that he won’t throw those INTs. All 3 of them were because the DBs were sitting short and waiting to jump those routes. It’s also why he was able to complete the deeper passes. He probably won’t see so much Cover 1 anymore but he’ll continue to have defenses trying to force him to throw outside the numbers.

The Jets played 8 in the box a lot, they probably had 9 in the box more often than 7. Not only does that make it hard on the RB, it makes it very hard to go over the middle of the field. The best way we can counteract that is to continue to try and run the ball but mid in more play action and sneak crossers past all those guys playing up. Jeudy had his 2nd catch off this and I’m surprised we didn’t go back to it. The tight bunch looks didn’t really help either but that won’t change much with Rypien due to his arm strength.

All in all he played well for the most part. The pressure definitely forced him into those INTs though. He’s smart so I think he’ll make his adjustments to that whether it be scrambling out and throwing it away or even just taking the sack.
    The late interceptions also came after Fant went out. Losing a safety net TE clearly shook his confidence a bit. Ryp was a completely different passer without Fant and we cannot afford to lose him. For many reasons.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    I don’t think defenses are going to play Rypien much differently until Rypien shows that he won’t throw those INTs. All 3 of them were because the DBs were sitting short and waiting to jump those routes. It’s also why he was able to complete the deeper passes. He probably won’t see so much Cover 1 anymore but he’ll continue to have defenses trying to force him to throw outside the numbers.

The Jets played 8 in the box a lot, they probably had 9 in the box more often than 7. Not only does that make it hard on the RB, it makes it very hard to go over the middle of the field. The best way we can counteract that is to continue to try and run the ball but mid in more play action and sneak crossers past all those guys playing up. Jeudy had his 2nd catch off this and I’m surprised we didn’t go back to it. The tight bunch looks didn’t really help either but that won’t change much with Rypien due to his arm strength.

All in all he played well for the most part. The pressure definitely forced him into those INTs though. He’s smart so I think he’ll make his adjustments to that whether it be scrambling out and throwing it away or even just taking the sack.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Good win

They would have gotten smoked by a good team.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    Hold on, let me get my crystal ball out, it'll tell me exactly how many wins we will have.
    (They still have to play the games)

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    There is a lot of football left, we could still wind up having a good year.
    (Keep hope alive)
    We will be fortunate to finish 5-11, and that’s if Lock comes back healthy in the next few weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X