Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offical Game Day Thread:Preseason Game 3: Texans vs. Broncos

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LDB
    So I suppose he wanted to see what Smith and Walker were like in game situations, huh? That doesn't make sense at all to me.

    Watts has proven nothing up to now. I don't care how good he has been in practice, he needs to get out on the field and show that he can catch the ball in live action. Something which he has not done up to now. I am sure that he will be on the team, but I don't buy that he is #3.
    The reason that the first-team offense played deep into the game against the Texans is because it's an actual Broncos tradition. They treat it like a real game. They want to see what they have going into the season and they like to evaluate the talent they have starting. They want to see how they fair somewhat deep into games.

    I believe Darius was kept on the sidelines after that to see what the guys who are on the bubble can do. Here's quote of mine from another message board.

    I'm going to mantain the position that Watts only played at the end of the game because Denver wanted to see what they could expect out of the guys behind Javon, Rod, Darius and Brandon. Those guys in my mind are locks, it's the other two receiver spots that are up for grabs and the Broncos Brass wanted to get the best look they could at evaluating the talent they had there. Darius has had a pretty good pre-season, and I'm sure he didn't fall off the face of the earth in just that one week absence from the Titans game.

    Watts is making the team, and I expect him and Marshall to spend time rotating as the #3 receiver.

    Marshall, in packages close to the red zone where he can use his size to his advantage. . . and Darius, in the open field, where his acceleration, quickness and speed will allow for him to separate easily and pick up yardage after the catch.
    It's more of an evalutation of talent behind our four locks, in my honest opinion. Shanahan knows what they're capable of doing, but isn't too sure about the others. It was Shanahan's best chance to see how guys on the bubble would perform in crunch time. IMHO.

    Comment


    • slippery when wet

      On wet grass, advantage always goes to Wide Outs...

      You have to give them a 'little' extra room and not play them too close.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by David_Carr
        If we're thinking of the same play, actually, Carr threw a beautiful pass but Moulds was just a step behind. If that would have been AJ, it's a touchdown, easy. That was a great pass, just didn't quite connect. \
        AJ may well have caught the pass, but it would not have been an "easy touchdown" as Nick Ferguson (#25, safety) was coming in from the center of the field and most likely would have made the tackle...

        As far as the Lewis TD, a play or two earlier Sterling had commented on how heads up Darrent was playing. As other posters have stated, the CB's will give up plays and TD's from time to time, no avoiding it. Overall, I (like the coaching staff) am very pleased with how he's been playing.


        Comment


        • ...and, it was pointed out multiple times last night that Shanahan wanted to get Walker lots of reps and about 6 or 7 catches.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Dream
            The reason that the first-team offense played deep into the game against the Texans is because it's an actual Broncos tradition. They treat it like a real game. They want to see what they have going into the season and they like to evaluate the talent they have starting. They want to see how they fair somewhat deep into games.
            Every team in the NFL plays their starters a lot in the 3rd game. If they don't then they do it on the 4th game. It is just to get the starters game ready and give them a lot of plays so they can get confident and ready for the season.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LDB
              So I suppose he wanted to see what Smith and Walker were like in game situations, huh? That doesn't make sense at all to me.

              Watts has proven nothing up to now. I don't care how good he has been in practice, he needs to get out on the field and show that he can catch the ball in live action. Something which he has not done up to now. I am sure that he will be on the team, but I don't buy that he is #3.
              That's an over simplification LDB, if you want to evaluate the 3-4-5-6 guys you rotate them into the #3 spot with the first team. You don't take out the 1-2 and put in the 3-4-6. Add in the fact that this was Rod's last preseason rep's and Javon's 1st (and only) "real" reps and passes, it makes sense that they both were playing. As noted above, Shannahan stated that keeping Watts out was by design and that he was evaluating the others.

              As far as Watts being on the field (as if proving something to you individually has some real impact on who makes the roster), I'm sure you will see quite a bit of him on Thursday against Arizona, so cool your jets with the rhetoric about how he needs to step it up until then.


              Comment


              • OK...I may be over-simplifying the situation. But answer me this...when exactly has Watts shown that he can catch the ball during games? Great, he is having his best training camp (he was praised during last year's TC too though), but aren't you at least a bit concerned that he hasn't really played much? Everyone is acting like he has done something to solidify his spot...I am just curious as to what he has done and when he has done it.

                He will make the roster, I think...I just don't see that the #3 spot is his.
                Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LDB
                  OK...I may be over-simplifying the situation. But answer me this...when exactly has Watts shown that he can catch the ball during games? Great, he is having his best training camp (he was praised during last year's TC too though), but aren't you at least a bit concerned that he hasn't really played much? Everyone is acting like he has done something to solidify his spot...I am just curious as to what he has done and when he has done it.

                  He will make the roster, I think...I just don't see that the #3 spot is his.

                  Oh, I agree that he has not locked up the #3 spot. But if Shannahan is convinced that Watts will make the squad (as 3-4 or 5) and has other guys to look at, as well as the decision of whether to keep 5, or 6 WR's (as he also stated in the presser) it still is reasonable for Darius to have been largely kept out of the game.


                  Comment


                  • Cutler vs. Plummer

                    I must admit Cutler looks more comfortable back there then Plummer does. I guess now that I think about it, Plummer never looks comfortable on the field. Cutler provides us with that ol' Elway like calmness - he gives us that "you know he'll get the job done" feeling. Plummer does some good things, but you just never feel totally confident.
                    What do you think?
                    If you love NFL stats and history
                    pro-football-reference.com
                    jt-sw.com/football

                    Comment


                    • As much as I'm excited for Cutler to start next season (because I'm excited to watch his talent grow)... I dont think we can compare the two of them during pre-season games.

                      Cutler shows an inner calm.... something that Brady showed at an early stage that you wouldn't expect from a young QB. But thats never been Jake's style of play. Also.. its easier to be calm when you know you don't have anything on the line. Jay doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder, and knows that he's not going to start this year. There isn't much pressure.

                      I think that natural calm that Cutler has will help him throughout his career....but I think we've seen enough of these threads for now. The season is about to start.

                      Comment


                      • I think this is a flame war waiting to happen. Considering every other thread seems to break out into a Jake vs. Jay war, I think the odds are pretty good of the same happening in a thread called "Cutler vs. Plummer".


                        But since you asked, I think Plummer is going to have a pretty good season and the Broncos will make the playoffs again. Where we go from there is really tough to tell without seeing how various aspects play out (e.g. our pass rush from the D-line).

                        Cutler is looking good so far. But it's preseason so we shouldn't read too much into it. I'm optimistic from what I've seen but we won't know for sure how he'll do with something on the line until he's put in that situation.

                        But so far so good.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                        Comment


                        • Same here it way too early to see. I hope so much Plummer keep his job next season... It would't hurt for Cutler to get a few year under his belt.

                          Comment


                          • Not looking to start a fire

                            I'm not looking to start a fire here. Yes it's pre-season! No the game does not matter!

                            What I'm trying to say is that plummers passing game was exactly what I expected. Yes I understand the long drives that can tire out a defense but at the same time we need to put points on the board. I watched too many long drives that end up with nothing. Why? Because the defense plays a short yardage game against a team that plays for short yardage. All I'm saying is that we need to keep the "D" off balanced. We did not do that this past year and I'm worried that the season will be the same this year. Maybe shanny will prove me wrong....I won't know till the season starts.

                            I'm not saying that we cant win games using that type of offense. It's when we get to the playoffs against top notch teams that worries me. same ol' story right? we cant win the important games with plummer? ummmm.......I think I have to agree with that

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Breezer
                              I must admit Cutler looks more comfortable back there then Plummer does. I guess now that I think about it, Plummer never looks comfortable on the field. Cutler provides us with that ol' Elway like calmness - he gives us that "you know he'll get the job done" feeling. Plummer does some good things, but you just never feel totally confident.
                              What do you think?
                              I think you're right!!

                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Breezer
                                I must admit Cutler looks more comfortable back there then Plummer does. I guess now that I think about it, Plummer never looks comfortable on the field. Cutler provides us with that ol' Elway like calmness - he gives us that "you know he'll get the job done" feeling. Plummer does some good things, but you just never feel totally confident.
                                What do you think?
                                Oh lord, let's not start this again..... :hammer:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X