This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhns
    Yeah in over all yards given up we where 29th I think it was. We also had about 50 passes more than any other defense on us. If you break it down to per pass we where way better than most any pass defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2005

33 more attempts on us than the next highest team with 613.

3rd best completion percent with 56.1

4th best yards per attempt with 6.25

17th in TD's against with 20

6 in ints with 20 - that can be because of so many attempts

4th in QB ratings against our defense with us giving up on average a 72.2 qb rating to the oponents

The total yards which is the only thing they take into account when comming up with that is not very telling in the real performance of a defense. You have to take into account how many more times people passed against us compared to some of the defenses that have a lot higher rating. There are a few teams with almost 200 less pass attempts against their defenses that rank higher than us soley from that alone. If you notice those are also some of the worst teams in the NFL. If a team is always behind then the teams that are playing them do not pass and therefore the total passing yards are not there.

Teams may have passed more against us for a reason. Namely that we play 10 yards off the WR and give up the slant all day long. It's not our players fault though, it's Coyer's.

Comment

• Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
      Teams may have passed more against us for a reason. Namely that we play 10 yards off the WR and give up the slant all day long. It's not our players fault though, it's Coyer's.
      The reason teams passed on us more was that they 1) couldn't run on us, and 2) they were often playing from behind.

...or so I've heard. :paper:

With that being said I would love our CB's to challenge the WR's off the line more though.
      Winter is Coming!

Comment

• the irony was too much to bear

Originally posted by Javalon
        Well, if you expect our cornerbacks to never get beat for touchdowns, I'd say your expectations are too high.

They'll all give up plays this season, even for touchdowns. And even Champ will be scored on. It's the nature or the game, especially since they league made illegal contact a "point of emphasis" a couple years back.

Anyway, I know it's no fun to watch the defense give up big plays. But they will happen from time to time. We just have to hope they don't happen too often and that our defense makes big plays in return.
        I'm used to seeing Bronco dbs get torched - I lived thru the Lilly years and became only sort-of an alcoholic. But anyway the reasons I brought this up were 1) it was the freakin Texans!! and 2) Sterling was saying we might have the best defensive backfield in football. and 3) I didn't think Moulds was that fast and he was pulling away from DWill.
        Last edited by DiehardinAlaska; 08-28-2006, 03:31 PM.
        "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Working...
        X