Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Game Day Thread: 2020: Week 9 Broncos vs Raiders

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

    Well, there are things you can say in fairness to Lock that are 100% true. The lack of off season preparation and preseason definitely has hurt his progression. The terrible offensive line is hindering his ability to look downfield. I think his shoulder is still hurt. And Pat Shurmur has been an unmitigated disaster as offensive coordinator. The worst decision Fangio has probably made in his season and a half as a coach was firing Scangarello.

    Now, that's not to say Lock hasn't been awful himself. But there are other factors going on for sure that's contributing to his poor play.
    I have a hard time swallowing that though. Herbert looks the part, Tua through just 2 games looks more advanced and Lock has had an off-season last year. Shurmur hasn't done him any real favors but he shouldn't get any of the blame for any of those ridiculous interceptions

    Comment


    • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

      I have a hard time swallowing that though. Herbert looks the part, Tua through just 2 games looks more advanced and Lock has had an off-season last year. Shurmur hasn't done him any real favors but he shouldn't get any of the blame for any of those ridiculous interceptions
      It's completely unfair to compare quarterback development from one to another. Josh Allen took 2 seasons to become much more polished. Baker Mayfield regressed substantially in his 2nd year. Manning threw 28 picks or whatever his rookie year. Elway lined up behind his guard.

      Again, I'm not saying Drew is the guy because as I sit here right now I don't think he is. But I do think it's fair to take the totality of everything that's gone on and understand that this isn't completely on him. A lot of it is, but not all of it.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

        It's completely unfair to compare quarterback development from one to another. Josh Allen took 2 seasons to become much more polished. Baker Mayfield regressed substantially in his 2nd year. Manning threw 28 picks or whatever his rookie year. Elway lined up behind his guard.

        Again, I'm not saying Drew is the guy because as I sit here right now I don't think he is. But I do think it's fair to take the totality of everything that's gone on and understand that this isn't completely on him. A lot of it is, but not all of it.
        About Allen, there's actually a really good vid on YouTube about what he did last offseason. This guy talked to a reputable QB coach about what he saw on film. Aside from decision making, the biggest difference was that he added a little crow hop to his front foot on throws when he has time to set up and do it. For whatever reason, this seems to force his back foot to come around and get him to rotate and follow through properly. I was a little skeptical until I watched the Cardinals game. When he doesn't have time to do it, his throws start to move around again.

        I kind of see Allen as a better example for Lock than Tagovailoa or Herbert, because I didn't really see those two as being super flawed mechanically coming out. Also, the decision making was a problem for Allen early as it has been for Lock. But, since I am talking about Allen, I also have to acknowledge that Allen had more upside than Lock talent wise. I'm saying that if you want to mold a raw quarterback, you can do way worse than a guy with Allen's arm and ability to run. And by that I mean worse like 9 out of 10 times. So if you ask me point blank, can Lock ever be what Josh Allen is becoming, I'd say no. That alone doesn't mean that I don't think Lock can become a quality NFL quarterback. The question is, does the front office want to invest in that any further.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

          About Allen, there's actually a really good vid on YouTube about what he did last offseason. This guy talked to a reputable QB coach about what he saw on film. Aside from decision making, the biggest difference was that he added a little crow hop to his front foot on throws when he has time to set up and do it. For whatever reason, this seems to force his back foot to come around and get him to rotate and follow through properly. I was a little skeptical until I watched the Cardinals game. When he doesn't have time to do it, his throws start to move around again.

          I kind of see Allen as a better example for Lock than Tagovailoa or Herbert, because I didn't really see those two as being super flawed mechanically coming out. Also, the decision making was a problem for Allen early as it has been for Lock. But, since I am talking about Allen, I also have to acknowledge that Allen had more upside than Lock talent wise. I'm saying that if you want to mold a raw quarterback, you can do way worse than a guy with Allen's arm and ability to run. And by that I mean worse like 9 out of 10 times. So if you ask me point blank, can Lock ever be what Josh Allen is becoming, I'd say no. That alone doesn't mean that I don't think Lock can become a quality NFL quarterback. The question is, does the front office want to invest in that any further.
          There's good reason Lock fell to the 2nd round -he's pretty raw, a project needing more development time than high first rounders like Tua & Co. If Lock is going to have a future in the NFL, he will have to spend the offseason receiving expert coaching/retraining to correct his mechanics.

          Broncos would have pick #11 if the season ended today, not high enough to get one of the best QBs on the board, so I think they may roll with Lock. This season will be written off because of COVID, the rather extensive injury bug, etc. and probably the only significant change will be canning ST coach Tom McMahon. 2021 will then be the last chance for everyone: Lock, Fangio, and Elway. Playoffs or bust!

          Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

          Comment

          Working...
          X