This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Narco View Post

Also built a Super Bowl team too, so it hasn't been all bad.
    Agreed. Without Elway, we'd be the Chargers with zero championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by Senses Fail View Post

I think if anyone gets fired it will be after the Thursday night game.
      Yes you are prolly right.
      sigpic

Comment

• Good thing the Broncos kept Von Miller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

When a person builds a successful business and then destroys it, I wouldn’t call that a good business owner. If Elway had at least built the team back to being even marginally competitive, maybe - but that didn’t happen. The Broncos are one of the worst franchises in the league and that’s not even debatable.
          I totally understand your frustration. Certainly Elway made some significant mistakes. Definitely, changes need to happen.

Not that you asked, but my thoughts are that the franchise isn't that far away. I haven't lost hope in Paton, yet. The roster is good. With a few additions, they might be great. First: they need actual ownership. Second: they need a MUCH better coaching staff. Maybe naively, I think those things could (will?) be sorted out by next season.

Comment

Good thing the Broncos kept Von Miller.
            Should have been traded after SB 50
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post

I totally understand your frustration. Certainly Elway made some significant mistakes. Definitely, changes need to happen.

Not that you asked, but my thoughts are that the franchise isn't that far away. I haven't lost hope in Paton, yet. The roster is good. With a few additions, they might be great. First: they need actual ownership. Second: they need a MUCH better coaching staff. Maybe naively, I think those things could (will?) be sorted out by next season.
              Elway destroyed the franchise. Some blame can go on Ellis, however Elway was the guy who made the decisions that put this team where it is and how they played over the past six years. I don’t believe the roster is as talented - they don’t resemble a competitive team against good teams.

Paton could turn things around, but not with the current coaching staff. He’ll also need a quarterback. The journeyman route hasn’t panned out and Lock was just a half-way attempt at drafting a guy by using a second round pick.

Comment

Elway destroyed the franchise. Some blame can go on Ellis, however Elway was the guy who made the decisions that put this team where it is and how they played over the past six years. I don’t believe the roster is as talented - they don’t resemble a competitive team against good teams.

Paton could turn things around, but not with the current coaching staff. He’ll also need a quarterback. The journeyman route hasn’t panned out and Lock was just a half-way attempt at drafting a guy by using a second round pick.
                Honest question: when you say "Elway destroyed the franchise," what does that mean?

Comment

Honest question: when you say "Elway destroyed the franchise," what does that mean?
                  It means the team has had a few down years in a row and some want one sole entity to blame because human nature does that sometimes. As much as I’d love it to just be one person’s fault, I just can’t see it that way. Elway was man enough to admit the team wasn’t going in the right direction and stepped down from his position. All we can do is look forward and let the past be in the past. It will get better, just need to bear a little longer.
                  Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• John Elway could not draft a franchise quarterback to save his life, but I am a fan of his and always will be. The worst thing John Elway ever did was to hire Vic Fangio. He was supposed to be some sort of defensive guru. He can’t even manage the clock. There is too much talent on this team for them to be playing this way. Fangio has lost the team. Fangio has got to go. Mike Munchak is waiting in the wings.

Comment

Elway’s decisions in hiring front office personnel, coaches, free agents and drafts resulted 4 back to back losing seasons, multiple first round busts and failure to establish a quality quarterback post-Manning. The Broncos are 35-51 since 2015 and starring at their 5th straight losing season. Elway’s actions led to the state of this franchise which is one of the worst in the NFL.

Comment

Saubert >Fant
                        Fant had a reasoable game but he is sadly not a complete TE and has been mostly disappointing. Maybe he can be used split wide?

Comment

• Both O and D lines are bang average and get overpowered. Not good enough.

Comment

• Looking at the box score stats for the game and watching the action offer totally different perspectives from each other.

To anyone watching this was a truly horrendous game from the Broncos. However, the stats suggest that it was actually much closer and probably turned on one of two plays. For example if Fant keeps his feet in bounds at the back of the endzone (far from impossible- we see it done so often); the final drive would have been to win the game.

-We had 421 total yards to the Raiders 426 yards.
                            -25 first down to the Raiders' 16 first downs
                            -3rd down efficiency was pretty bad for both - Broncos 5/14; Raiders 4/11.
                            -We ran 25 more plays.
                            -We had the ball for 9 more minutes.

Where the Raiders excelled was on long passes. Carr only had 18 completions but threw for 340 yards.

I guess the point of this post is that whilst the overall performance was disastrous, within the wreckage there was enough to suggest that with better coaching and execution (and yes some but not many playing personnel changes) we could compete at this level.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                              Looking at the box score stats for the game and watching the action offer totally different perspectives from each other.

To anyone watching this was a truly horrendous game from the Broncos. However, the stats suggest that it was actually much closer and probably turned on one of two plays. For example if Fant keeps his feet in bounds at the back of the endzone (far from impossible- we see it done so often); the final drive would have been to win the game.

-We had 421 total yards to the Raiders 426 yards.
                              -25 first down to the Raiders' 16 first downs
                              -3rd down efficiency was pretty bad for both - Broncos 5/14; Raiders 4/11.
                              -We ran 25 more plays.
                              -We had the ball for 9 more minutes.

Where the Raiders excelled was on long passes. Carr only had 18 completions but threw for 340 yards.

I guess the point of this post is that whilst the overall performance was disastrous, within the wreckage there was enough to suggest that with better coaching and execution (and yes some but not many playing personnel changes) we could compete at this level.
                              Interesting stats....I would never have guessed any of those that you posted. May I point out though.......ALL of our yardage and TOP is always in garbage time.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Should have been traded after SB 50
                                Von was a premium LB until DC's started trying to turn him into Aaron Donald. Why don't we just craft the gameplan around the players we have rather than on schemes that don't work for us?

Comment

Working...
                                X