Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MUG's Bronco's Mock (Detailed Explanation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUG's Bronco's Mock (Detailed Explanation)

Due to requests, I'll share some research and thoughts on my Bronco Mock selections:

1) DT Frank Okam - Texas
    2) LB Ali Highsmith - LSU
    4) FS Eric Wicks - West Virginia
    4) FB Peyton Hillis - Arkansas
    5) DT BJ Raji - Boston College
    5) WR/KR Kevin Robinson - Utah State
    7) OT Pedro Sosa - Rutgers
    7) CB Trey Brown - UCLA

1. DT Frank Okam - Texas Size: 6'5", 325 lbs.

2007 Stats: 49 tackles, 10 stuffs, 5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 4 passes defended.

"A big, strong and explosive fourth-year player who elected to bypass the NFL Draft and return to UT for his senior season … a third-team All-America selection by The Associated Press … a member of the Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy watch lists … a three-time All-Big 12 selection … played in 49 career games, starting 38, and recorded 157 tackles, 10 sacks, 27 TFL, 46 pressures, 11 PBD, a forced fumble and five fumble recoveries … started all 12 games in 2007 … tabbed first-team All-Big 12 by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and second-team All-Big 12 by The Associated Press, Austin American-Statesman and the league’s coaches … tallied 49 tackles, 10 TFL, a team-high five sacks, 16 pressures, four PBD, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery … started 12 games in 2006 … earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors from The Associated Press … was a preseason member of the Playboy All-America team … posted 38 tackles, six TFL, two sacks, 10 pressures and recovered a fumble … started all 13 games in 2005 … earned second-team All-Big 12 honors from the league’s coaches … notched 48 tackles, five TFL, 11 pressures, a sack, two PBD and two fumble recoveries, one of which was recovered in the end zone for a TD … earned first-team Freshman All-America honors from The Sporting News as a true freshman in 2004 … played in all 12 games in 2004, including one start … recorded 22 tackles, six TFL, nine pressures, five PBD, a fumble recovery and was second on the team with two sacks … was a Parade All-American as a prepster … a 2007 first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection … a four-time member of UT’s Athletics Director’s Honor Roll … graduated in December 2007 with a degree in sports management (three-and-a-half years)."

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.c...7&member_id=64

My thoughts:
    I think he's a Top 20 draft pick regardless of what hacks like Kiper and McShay say at the moment, and I think he's the absolute best DT in this draft. He's a 4.0 student, which suggests he's going to pick up the defensive schemes quickly and stay out of trouble off the field. He's very articulate, so he could be a boon in the community. He's exceptionally strong and should fly up draft boards post combine, and he's been one of the most effective DTs, and the best NT, in the country for the past few years. Okam is a can't miss, dynamic Nose Tackle along the lines of Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata. And he should have the instant impact both of those players did. And Denver needs that impact. Badly.

2. LB Ali Highsmith - LSU Size: 6'1", 220 lbs.

2007 Stats: 93 tackles, 7.5 stuffs, 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 8 passes defended.

"Highsmith is an outstanding leader who has been a productive player for LSU. He's able to defend sideline-to-sideline and displays great recovery speed. Highsmith takes good angles, and while he has a nose for the ball, he shows good patience defending against the run. He has excellent awareness and drops back into coverage nicely. A lack of size and his inability to shed blocks is a concern at the next level."

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/687999.html

My Thoughts:
    Highsmith's size limitations will probably cause him to fall further then he should based on pure talent, of which he has in spades. He excels in his versatility, which the Denver Broncos place an extreme importance on at WILL LB. Highsmith draws a ton of comparisons to Ian Gold, excelling in the areas Gold excels in, experiencing the same problems Gold does as well, namely being out muscled and blocked by OGs. Highsmith is going to require a solid D-line to keep blockers off him, but he may be a better tackler in open space then Ian Gold. I believe he could be the natural successor to Gold, and if nothing else, provides needed depth and special teams ability.

4. FS Eric Wicks - West Virginia Size: 6'1", 205 lbs.

2007 Stats: 48 Tackles, 7 stuffs, 2 sacks, 3 ints, and 8 passes defended

"Wicks is a physical defender who makes plays all over the field. He's strong at the point of attack and tracks down the opposition with his lateral quickness. He displays a solid burst of closing speed and takes good angles in defense. He's solid in coverage and possesses great ball skills. He has good range and makes plays sideline-to-sideline. He has to get stronger and work on his tackling technique, but he has great awareness and is improving. Wicks is a skilled defender who is better suited to play free safety at the next level. He has the potential to be very good player at the NFL level and will reward a team with his skill set."

My Thoughts:
    3 year starter that has improved every season. Is a clubhouse leader and positive role model. Is very dangerous with the ball in his hands, returns just about anything for a TD. Is an EXCEPTIONAL blitzer. And has the ability to shut down TEs easily in coverage. This is a very deep draft in Safeties, so that's why a darn good player like Wicks is still available in the 4th round.

4. FB Peyton Hillis - Arkansas Size: 6'2", 245 lbs.

2007 Stats:
    327 Yards Rushing, 5.7 YPC, 2 TDs
    495 Yards Receiving, 44 Receptions, 5 TDs.
    Lead Blocker for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, both 1000 yard rushers.

"One of the most versatile offensive weapons on the roster, Arkansas suffered down the stretch in 2006 when Hillis wasn’t available due to a deep thigh bruise. A punishing blocker, a powerful runner and a natural pass catcher, he will most likely be utilized at fullback, H-back, tailback, tight end, wide receiver and punt returner at some point during the upcoming season. If that isn’t enough, he may return to special teams where he was dominant on the kickoff coverage team early in the 2006 season. Rated the No. 1 fullback in the nation by Phil Steele’s College Football, he was also recognized as the best blocking back in the Southeastern Conference by The Birmingham News. He will help clear the way for Arkansas’ stable of tailbacks and will get an opportunity to get his hands on the ball out of a variety of formations. He enters pre-season camp as the Razorbacks’ top fullback and a prime candidate to return punts."

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle....&Q_SEASON=2007

My Thoughts:

Bone-crushing blocker, who loves to hit people. Dynamic receiving threat and excellent short yardage runner. Explosive, versatile, and durable. Should instantly improve the Broncos running game via lead blocking, especially around the goal line. And should also improve red zone scoring due to his ability to catch and run gimic plays.

CONTINUED....

5. DT BJ Raji - Boston College Size: 6'1", 342 lbs.

2007 Stats: Was declared academically ineligible, so red-shirted.

"At 6-foot-1, 325-pounds, Raji is a big, physical interior lineman who commands a lot of attention. A good athlete who has a solid burst off the line, he plays with leverage, and bull rushes opponents up the field. Raji also has a quick first step and immediately penetrates upfield and makes plays in the backfield. With his great strength, he brings down the opposition with his initial push, gets off blocks very well and can handle double-teams. But there's an interesting twist about Raji and his draft status. He was ruled academically ineligible this season and was redshirted. Boston College is trying to convince him to come back for his senior season, but the risk of suffering an injury next year will only hurt his draft status even more. Expect Raji to enter the draft and be a high Day-Two selection."

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/689340.html

My Thoughts:
    A bowling ball-type player. Very stout, very strong, and is a master of manipulating leverage. He's obviously not very bright, so he's probably more of a project-type player with little immediate impact. He's also probably out of shape after sitting out a year. But he's one of the most physically gifted DT's in the nation, and a year of seasoning on the practice squad, or heck, our DTs are so bad, he'd probably be our 4th rotational guy as a rookie, meaning inactive most games but learning. Has extreme upside as a backup Nose Tackle with pass rushing ability. If he had played, would probably have been a Top 50 pick. There's a chance he'll return for another season at BC, but if his grades haven't improved enough, he's coming out this draft.

5. WR/KR Kevin Robinson - Utah State Size: 6'0", 200 lbs.

2007 Stats:
    55 Receptions, 640 yards, 5 TDs
    20 Punt Returns, 378 Yards (18.9 Avg.), 1 TD
    43 Kickoff Returns, 1260 Yards (29.3 Avg), 3 TDs

" Everyone is looking for the next Devin Hester, a playmaker whot can strike fear in the opposition on special teams. One player that has gone under the radar in the WAC, but has produced impressive numbers, is Utah State senior Kevin Robinson. The 6-foot, 200-pound Robinson is a threat on special teams anytime he touches the ball. He's fielded 20 punts for 378 yards (18.9 YPR) and a touchdown, as well as returning 43 kickoffs for 1,260 yards (29.3 YPR) and three touchdowns. Robinson also led the Aggies in receiving with 55 receptions for 640 yards and five touchdowns. He's not a burner like Hester, but he has a unique blend of good speed (4.48, 40-time), sure hands, quick feet, and excellent vision that makes him a dynamic player who'll receive fifth- to sixth-round consideration."

My Thoughts:
    Simple. He looks like a helluva return ace. Looks like he also has some slot development skills. Broncos need a return ace, we also need depth at WR. Win/Win. Not much analysis here...basically, just "Holy crap, this guy looks good".

7. OT Pedro Sosa Size: 6'5", 290 lbs.

2007 Stats: Starting Left Tackle for Rutgers. Allowed the fewest sacks in the country. Team averaged nearly 200 yards rushing a game as well.

"2007 All-BIG EAST Conference Second Team (Coaches): OT Pedro Sosa has helped to produce both a prolific passing and rushing attack. He is part of a line that has seen the best offensive production in Rutgers history."

My Thoughts:
    Has the size to get better, seems like a decent practice squad-type project. Most draft sites don't even have him being drafted, some have him going in the 4th round. He's undersized and this is a deep draft for OTs. I think he goes in the 6th-7th round area to a team that places more emphasis on finesse then strength (Broncos for example). Regardless, I think he's a practice squad guy for a year or two.

7. CB Trey Brown - UCLA Size: 5'9", 190 lbs.

2007 Stats: 28 Tackles, 1 Sack, 5 Ints, 17 Passes Defended.

"Brown has emerged as a lock-down corner who has started almost every game during the last three years. He is considered one of the top corners in the conference and he anchors one of the best units on the team."

http://bruinroar.blogspot.com/2007/0...rey-brown.html

My Thoughts:
    He's a 5th rounder in any other year. This is probably the deepest draft for CBs in the history of football. He's a smaller guy, probably limited to a nickel-type role, but is a clubhouse leader and has solid coverage skills with marginal hands. Very good at knocking down passes though, I think I read somewhere he led the nation in passes defended. He only has average speed however. By the time the draft roles around, he might have moved up to the 5th round area, but for now, 7th round steal for Denver!
    Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 12-13-2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I would be fine getting Okam in the first and Butler or Highsmith in the 2nd. Okam would be a impact right away against the run and highsmith is an ideal line backer for our Broncos (including Butler) both are under sized but perform as if they are bigger.

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

4. FS Eric Wicks - West Virginia Size: 6'1", 205 lbs.

2007 Stats: 48 Tackles, 7 stuffs, 2 sacks, 3 ints, and 8 passes defended

"Wicks is a physical defender who makes plays all over the field. He's strong at the point of attack and tracks down the opposition with his lateral quickness. He displays a solid burst of closing speed and takes good angles in defense. He's solid in coverage and possesses great ball skills. He has good range and makes plays sideline-to-sideline. He has to get stronger and work on his tackling technique, but he has great awareness and is improving. Wicks is a skilled defender who is better suited to play free safety at the next level. He has the potential to be very good player at the NFL level and will reward a team with his skill set."

My Thoughts:
      3 year starter that has improved every season. Is a clubhouse leader and positive role model. Is very dangerous with the ball in his hands, returns just about anything for a TD. Is an EXCEPTIONAL blitzer. And has the ability to shut down TEs easily in coverage. This is a very deep draft in Safeties, so that's why a darn good player like Wicks is still available in the 4th round.

It is a deep draft in saftey. So with that in mind I can see a little more of a playmaker droping into 4th like Simeon Castille, FS, Alabama, Courtney Greene*, SS, Rutgers, Marcus Griffin, FS, Texas, Jamar Adams, SS, Michigan, Caleb Campbell, SS, Army or Wesley Woodyard, SS, Kentucky

As far As Hills whom is "projected" as a 4th. I guarentee he is going to be late 3rd early fourth. Normally people reach a little for the top FB.

BJ Raji is not droping that far... There is no way. He is a monstrous nose tackle and by far is one of the premier run-stuffers in this class. "If" he does go to the draft someone will invest a 3rd at least on him.

Pedro Sosa who is prjected at 4th round or 5th... Is waaaaaay to slow for a zone blocking system. He will go some where that thinks he can bulk up or somthing.

not to familiar with Kevin Robinson.

Fine with Trey or at least picking him up as a UDFA for practice squad // His stats look good because people pick on him.

Comment

Great mock, everything you've listed makes sense to me. However I like Xavier Adibi over Highsmith, he is quick, strong, good at blitzing, and doesn't seem to be a big liability in coverage. Either way you get a good LB prospect I think, but if I had my choice it'd be Adibi.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16 View Post
          Great mock, everything you've listed makes sense to me. However I like Xavier Adibi over Highsmith, he is quick, strong, good at blitzing, and doesn't seem to be a big liability in coverage. Either way you get a good LB prospect I think, but if I had my choice it'd be Adibi.
          I dought he drops that far though IMO he will end up moving into first round.

Comment

This draft actually blows at safety, but whatever. This is an okay draft, I still feel Denver will use two of their four top selections to get offensive players as well though, from what I heard anyway - they seem to like what they see at tackle. Then again, maybe it's just personal preference because half of these guys I don't pay attention to and honestly haven't seen play.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
              This draft actually blows at safety, but whatever. This is an okay draft, I still feel Denver will use two of their four top selections to get offensive players as well though, from what I heard anyway - they seem to like what they see at tackle. Then again, maybe it's just personal preference because half of these guys I don't pay attention to and honestly haven't seen play.
              Agree in a way. The draft is deep at saftey position for AVG and Below Avg talent. With only 1 "elite" saftey and that is "If" he comes out.

BUT there is a abundance of late 2nd to 4th round graded safties though.

I how ever love the wide receiver class and offensive line class and in a way would not mind if Broncos focus on that in draft if they are able to focus in a couple areas on the deffensive side in the off season in free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                Agree in a way. The draft is deep at saftey position for AVG and Below Avg talent. With only 1 "elite" saftey and that is "If" he comes out.

BUT there is a abundance of late 2nd to 4th round graded safties though.
                I think there's a bunch of nice Day two selections, but there are barely any top talents. Then again, we don't need a top tier guy. Then again, Day Two includes the third round now, so maybe that's my brain kicking in. Unless it's Phillips, I don't see Denver addressing safety until the area in which MUG put us picking them. It's logical. Great talent is usually found in every draft in those mid-rounds.

I still think we'll see some early offense though.

I won't be doing a mock again until the season is over and until I type up my game analysis on the prospects I've been keeping an eye on. Way too many to know everyone though.

Good job though MUG, I think we'll see DT/LB addressed early, but I also think we'll see an OT and WR added to this offense in the top four rounds as well. I'd expect us to gather another pick between rounds two and four as well.

This team is going to be built around Cutler. We'll have to wait for the FA to occur to know for sure what direction they're heading in. Usually it'll give us a good clue.
                Last edited by Dream; 12-13-2007, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I would be fine getting Okam in the first and Butler or Highsmith in the 2nd. Okam would be a impact right away against the run and highsmith is an ideal line backer for our Broncos (including Butler) both are under sized but perform as if they are bigger.
                  Well, Highsmith is undersized but Butler is a huge LB. And Okam is a huge NT for his age. Butler probably projects to MIKE in the NFL, though I think he'd be a great SAM. In an interview he gave, he said most teams are talking to him as a MIKE.

It is a deep draft in saftey. So with that in mind I can see a little more of a playmaker droping into 4th like Simeon Castille, FS, Alabama, Courtney Greene*, SS, Rutgers, Marcus Griffin, FS, Texas, Jamar Adams, SS, Michigan, Caleb Campbell, SS, Army or Wesley Woodyard, SS, Kentucky
                  Castille is firmly a CB. Griffin is an early rounder whom has started one season. Adams is a one dimensional run stuffing strong safety. Woodyard is a LB that is going to have to make a transition and is probably not going to be drafted. Campbell is a 7th rounder at best with severe knee concerns since he's already annihilated it once.

In terms of "playmakers", Wicks and Quintin Demps are the best of the bunch. Demps is likely a 2nd round pick though.

So I have to strongly disagree with that analysis.

As far As Hills whom is "projected" as a 4th. I guarentee he is going to be late 3rd early fourth. Normally people reach a little for the top FB.
                  Maybe, but the top FB has never been drafted before Round 4. Brian Leonard, whom is as close as it gets, was drafted as a pure RB. Also, Hillis (with an "i") is not the top fullback according to many, that would be Owen Schmitt. Though some teams are on record as debating whether to move him to TE or not. I think Hillis is not even a lock for a 4th round pick since most teams do not even use fullbacks any more. His versatility and our need for a FB in the red zone make me think we'll snatch him in the 4th.

BJ Raji is not droping that far... There is no way. He is a monstrous nose tackle and by far is one of the premier run-stuffers in this class. "If" he does go to the draft someone will invest a 3rd at least on him.
                  Actually, he's not a great run stuffer at all oddly enough. He's more like a Gerrard Warren type Nose Tackle that is excellent at pass rushing and penetration. The earliest he will go in this draft is the 5th round. He's sat out the entire season and gained nearly 20 lbs. He's a long term project with huge upside and very low intelligence. He projects, not as a run stuffing DT, but as a rotational pass rushing Nose.

Pedro Sosa who is prjected at 4th round or 5th... Is waaaaaay to slow for a zone blocking system. He will go some where that thinks he can bulk up or somthing.
                  I'm confused here Nick, where are you getting your thoughts and opinions from? Sosa is the star of the best zone blocking O-line in the Nation.

not to familiar with Kevin Robinson.

Fine with Trey or at least picking him up as a UDFA for practice squad // His stats look good because people pick on him.
                  Yeah, I don't know anything about Robinson either, other than he's an exceptional return man and appears to have some developmental ability as a slot WR.

Brown would be a steal as a nickel back I think, but the more I've researched him, the more I think he'll be a 5th rounder. I'll probably have to update that selection as the draft nears.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I always like to see draft enthusiasts. I do question some of the information obtained though, but only because it clashes drastically with the research I've done on the prospects, which is relatively substantial.

Comment

I think there's a bunch of nice Day two selections, but there are barely any top talents. Then again, we don't need a top tier guy. Then again, Day Two includes the third round now, so maybe that's my brain kicking in. Unless it's Phillips, I don't see Denver addressing safety until the area in which MUG put us picking them. It's logical. Great talent is usually found in every draft in those mid-rounds.

I won't be doing a mock again until the season is over and until I type up my game analysis on the prospects I've been keeping an eye on. Way too many to know everyone though.
                    I have not even done or started any of my mocks... I want to see how some of these players perform in the Bowl games. I most likley will come up with my first rough one sometime in the NFL playoffs... Or at the end of the season.

Comment

I'd say offensive tackle and wide receiver. I used to think Denver would be wise to grab a junior running back, but maybe with Young looking sharp we won't. Denver desperately needs help in the return game and we have to build around Cutler like the other premier offenses have. I'm still not a big fan of Pears, and even with Harris in the mix - another ripe OT for the future would be nice.

I think a player like Chris Johnson (ECU) will really interest Denver. Can run the ball, catch the ball and return the ball. I think if a bunch of junior backs declare, he could slip into that early fourth-round range where we could be picking if that Oakland pick does indeed escalate to a fourth based on Warren's play.

I feel Denver could add another receiver (preferably a speed burner) to be an understudy to the receivers we have here and learn the tricks of the trade. Most teams in the NFL have two good wide receivers, some even three. Now the best offenses have four legit options. I'd say we have a given in Marshall, but I worry about Stokley and Walker, especially Walker long-term. Insurance never helps, and with Denver having extra Day Two picks, and with this draft having some good receivers - why not make the most of it?

Comment

I am getting my thoughts and opinions from what I see when I watch them play... So I am not the one that is getting from one source.

As far as Sosa He needs to get ALOT more quick to play zone blocking in the NFL... OR needs to add some bulk. Zuttah is FAR more capable of a NFL transition into a zone blocking scheme IMO

Comment

Good job though MUG, I think we'll see DT/LB addressed early, but I also think we'll see an OT and WR added to this offense in the top four rounds as well. I'd expect us to gather another pick between rounds two and four as well.

This team is going to be built around Cutler. We'll have to wait for the FA to occur to know for sure what direction they're heading in. Usually it'll give us a good clue.

Bah, I did a reply without seeing this 2nd post.

Agreed on safety. Excellent depth, lots of solid talent, but minimal top heavy talent. Though I opine that Nic Harris, if he comes out, is even better then Kenny Phillips. So, if the juniors declare, we should have at least 2 Top 20 Safeties we may look at.

WR definitely becomes a higher need if Walker is released. If not, I think getting a return specialist who moonlights as a slot WR is the approach we'll take, regardless of which round it is. We had to learn something from the Devin Hester game and our season long "suck" on special teams.

I can't see an OT though. Generally a team usually keeps 3 on their active roster. Unless we don't keep Pears or release Lepsis, I'm not sure where we would stick a top pick. I understand one or both could occur, but I don't expect it. I know Lepsis has a large contract, but he's always renegotiated in the past.

Do you believe we'll cut Lepsis or release Pears this offseason?

*Edit* Bah, you snuck a post in again! Sneaky bastid!

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

Actually, he's not a great run stuffer at all oddly enough. He's more like a Gerrard Warren type Nose Tackle that is excellent at pass rushing and penetration. The earliest he will go in this draft is the 5th round. He's sat out the entire season and gained nearly 20 lbs. He's a long term project with huge upside and very low intelligence. He projects, not as a run stuffing DT, but as a rotational pass rushing Nose.

He is the top 3-4 NT's in the draft IMO. Every team taht runs a 3-4 are going to look hard at him... "If" he comes out which I think he not going into the draft this year because if he plays a another year of collage because of the year he missed he will be a 1st rounder.

He is very very good at stopping the run. If you plug his name on search instead of looking at one site... You will also get that.

My opinion of what I stated on him is going from what "I" saw when he played last year (or year before last, how ever you put it)... 2006 season.

Comment

I think that this team could afford to carry four tackles just for the fact, "What happens if "X" goes down?" It's always nice to have another viable option available, even though Myers and Kuper could play tackle in a pinch. I thought Pears was a FA, and I know Lepsis' contract is gigantic. Pears has never been a quality tackle and I think we could definitely have an upgrade there. People want to know why Daniel Graham isn't getting passes? He's having to be training wheels for that guy. We suck when running to the right (almost every big run goes left) and Pears is a big reason for that.

Even if we don't release Lepsis, he has one year at best. Considering Lepsis won't be here long-term, and I feel Pears is a poor long-term option, another guy wouldn't be that big of an idea. OT is even more of a need if you're on the pessimistic side of things and believe Harris' back problems will continue. I think the kid will pan out and do fine, but that's another concern.

Comment

Working...
                              X