X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancane's Draft as of 1/3/08

Lancane’s Draft as of 1/3/08:

Rnd 1: Rashard Mendenhall - HB - Illinois
    - Shanahan will have everyone convinced he is shopping to fix the defense this off-season, but a few league sources have reported that the undertone for the off-season is to get Cutler more weapons atop of fixing the defense. And in round one the defensive athletes will be thin where Denver picks, most people around the NFL tend to forget Shanahan is an offense first coach, he startled people in 2006 with the drafting of Jay Cutler who is already being heralded as the best quarterback so far of that class. Shanahan who is from Illinois himself and keeps close ties to his home state and their teams will be looking to help his team become better all around. Enter Rashard Mendenhall, a Top 15 halfback from his home state. Mendenhall was originally believed to be a solid Top 20 pick but has seen his stock rocket from a 2007 campaign in which he was named the Big Ten Player of the Year. No more undrafted free agents, no more league leftovers…I think Shanahan finally pulls the trigger and gets his franchise halfback.

Rnd 2: Dre Moore - DT - Maryland
    - After adding to the offensive arsenal, Shanahan will need to get talent in the front of the defensive line which had allowed Denver to drop drastically in rushing defense. Dre Moore against West Virginia did everything to showboat his potential to scouts and moving him to a solid second round choice; it was a game which saw him shut down one of the best halfbacks in college football in Steve Slaton. At 6-4 and 298lbs Moore has an impressive 4.82 forty, he excels against the run but can get to a quarterback with his strength and collapse a pocket easily. He is well known to be a workout warrior with tremendous upside which will nab attention from the Broncos who relish such attributes in their players. Moore may be the defensive linemen steal of the draft having the abilities of both Okam from Texas and Pressley from North Carolina St., two defensive tackles which are likely real high on Denver’s boards.

Rnd 3 (From Walker or Foxworth Trade): Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida
    - The news that Walker wanted out is no surprise to many in the league, but it did hurt the many fans he had in Denver. Caldwell is a solid day one pick but he will slip with the many underclassmen studs entering the draft, that along with the fact that he has been inconsistent during his college career will drop his value. Shanahan will risk a pick on the Florida product though, because Shanahan and the Broncos have deep ties to Florida, also that Caldwell is a prototypical Bronco receiver in size at 6-0 and 200lbs, the most impressive thing about Caldwell his his route running ability and his forty for his size, Shanahan will likely be happy to have Marshall and Stokely as his two starters, but Caldwell who has great upside and a very likeable personality will be a fan favorite almost instantly, coupled along with his ability to return kicks and spread the field, I see Shanahan risking a 3rd round pick even if it looks like he will slide.

Rnd 4a: Marcus Griffin - FS - Texas
    - Abdullah is a young strong safety talent who was forced to step in from his spot for John Lynch during certain games, originally Lynch was a strong safety himself, the one thing Denver lacks in their dynamic defensive backfield is a ball hawk free safety. Griffin may be able to thank his brother for this pick, because Griffin could slide to the early 4th round with the level of talent at safety this year. His twin brother Michael Griffin a 1st round pick last year for the Tennessee Titans has a coach who is good friends with Mike Shanahan, instrumental in the drafting of Jay Cutler. Marcus is considered by Texas coaches as a better athletic talent then his twin brother Michael, that should peak Shanahan’s interest, let alone that he can get word from the Tennessee Head Coach on his impression of the two and similarities as well.

Rnd 4b: Oniel Cousins - OT - Texas El Paso
    - Denver’s line was horrid the past year, and with the retirement of Matt Lepsis the Broncos will be looking to add depth and talent to their depleted ranks. Harris, Denver’s 3rd round pick in 2007 missed time with a herniated disk and was questionable, but the Bronco staff does feel he will be ready to challenge for a starting role in 2008. Nalen and Hamilton brought good news that they both will return to finish off the last year of their contracts, but it does bring up a problem for the 2009 season. Some sources believe a big shift is needed, and that Denver may look to bring in free agent left guard Ryan Lilja from Indianapolis, which will more then likely force Hamilton to start at the right guard spot for his final season in Denver. Another source thinks it will be a shift of positions, that Harris will man the left tackle position and Hamilton next to him, but that Erik Pears may be looking at being shifted in the 2009 season to left guard, while he will start again this season at right tackle. And leaving at the right guard spot a battle more then likely take place between Holland and Kuper; this is ideal for Cousins because he comes from the 5th best zone blocking passing offense in college football, a natural fit in Denver and the 6-5, 305lbs UTEP product will get a year behind Pears to prepare for taking over the position.

Rnd 4c (Walker or Foxworth Trade): Jehuu Caulcrick - FB - Michigan State
    - Denver has not had the best of luck with fullbacks since they had lost Howard Griffin, and with the lack of pass protection and run blocking, even short yardage gains, this may not be the prettiest pick, but a sound one. Caulcrick is a monster fullback and not only can this 6-0, 260lbs beast block in both the run and passing game, he has been clocked with a 4.65 forty which is best among lead blocking fullbacks, even over top rated Peyton Hillis of Arkansas. The dual threat ability of Caulcrick will really peak Shanahan’s interest being that two scouts have dubbed the Michigan State product a possible Lorenzo Neal type fullback, who Shanahan knows all too well. He will instantly be challenging for a starting position in camp, and could be this years Brandon Marshall for the Broncos in that he will surprise many around the league.

Rnd 5a: Wesley Woodyard - LB/S - Kentucky
    - Denver needs depth at both positions, and Woodyard could be a gem pick to either position. Aggressive with a great motor and encouraging upside, Woodyard at 6-1, 212 lbs could easily write his own ticket with the Broncos, if he stays at 212lbs he will likely become a safety, but if he can add on another ten pounds he could easily become a future star in the linebacker corps for Denver where Winborn and Webster are slated to become free agents after the 2009 season and he could force a transition of the line in a new direction. Woodyard is a first day talent, who should be an early day two pick, but too many teams will see him as a safety he will fall due to depth. If rated as a linebacker few teams will look at him, he just may be the fastest linebacker/safety hybrid in the draft with a clocked forty of 4.41, his quickness and speed, along with aggressive tendencies would help Denver, even if only on special teams.

Rnd 5b: Doug Legursky - C - Marshall
    - Nalen will return for the final year of his contract and likely retire after the season, Denver may use Chris Myers in a trade with another Bronco or pick to manuever in the draft, Myers a RFA started at center for part of the year and looked overall to be an okay linemen, but I doubt the Broncos are sold on him being the future of this team. Myers will garner heavy interest from Atlanta and possibly Kansas City where it has been reported they wish to go with the zone blocking scheme and need to upgrade their horrid line. Legursky is not a pretty pick, but the 6-3, 311lbs center has a mean streak and versatility to nab the attention of Dennison and Shanahan. With a forty of 5 flat he is the fastest of the 300lbs plus centers in the draft, even quicker then most of the lighter centers which would be more Denver-typical. Shanahan knows that the line needs to be prepared for the exit of Hamilton and Nalen after the 08’ season and Legursky has been a solid anchor on the Marshall offensive line since becoming the starting center.

Rnd 7: Nick Watkins - LB - Clemson
    - Special teams needs to be fixed, and this kid who is so intense he is scary could be a valued addition and great for linebacker depth. If you thought Romo was nasty, Watkins will make your eyes pop! He is a fierce competitor, not the sharpest tool in the shed…but the one tool you might shy from using because of the lethal edge of it. Watkins who is only 222lbs is a quick, not exactly fast and a hard hitter, problem is sometimes he over pursues, even gets a bit destructional in his effort, but coming to a team where linebackers are as revered as the quarterback and running backs he may find the coaching needed to hone is raw talent and anger in a more progressive way. Denver will think he is another Ian Gold, but he is more like Ian Gold with a little less upside, equal in talent and Romonowski’s mean streak.

I've seen Caulkrick (SP) and I like him, donno bout Moore. But I could prolly live with that draft.

I am not however happy about Caldwell, I'd love us to get a WR first day if we don't in FA... but Florida is running a system that seems to hamper WR in the NFL, or at least it looks that way right now. Being a third I wouldn't complain too much, but I would rather us go elsewhere I thinkz.

Just my thoughts right now. Haven't done as good a job as I usually do keeping up with the draft this year
    I dunno where I am at yet... but like I said this early in that isn't a bad draft at all Lanc, CP coming when I can
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Nice mock Lancane. I wish I had the knowledge of college football to try one myself. Can I copy and past yours and use it as my own?

Seriously though, drafting a RB in the first is not what I expect out of Coach, but I would not be surprised at all. I'm really high on Phillips at 12 if he's there. I love Miami defensive players( Lewis over Mobley, Reed over Lelie, Woolfork over Williams.) I guess I wasn't yelling loud enough at the TV.

Caldwell was praised by his coach while a lot of the Gators were thrown under the bus after the bowl game, but I can't remember a Florida WR doing anything in the NFL at all. Collinsworth comes to mind, but he was average, and that was a long time ago.

It covers a lot of needs even with drafting Mendenhall in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by slick7 View Post
        Nice mock Lancane. I wish I had the knowledge of college football to try one myself. Can I copy and past yours and use it as my own?

Seriously though, drafting a RB in the first is not what I expect out of Coach, but I would not be surprised at all. I'm really high on Phillips at 12 if he's there. I love Miami defensive players( Lewis over Mobley, Reed over Lelie, Woolfork over Williams.) I guess I wasn't yelling loud enough at the TV.

Caldwell was praised by his coach while a lot of the Gators were thrown under the bus after the bowl game, but I can't remember a Florida WR doing anything in the NFL at all. Collinsworth comes to mind, but he was average, and that was a long time ago.

It covers a lot of needs even with drafting Mendenhall in the first round.
        Copy & Paste away my friend!

Comment

A few comments...

Originally posted by lancane View Post
          Rnd 1: Rashard Mendenhall - HB - Illinois
          A surprise pick!

A rookie running back could have an immediate impact, as unlike many other positions that transition to the NFL is relatively straightforward (though some of the secondary skills like blocking often need development). For this reason alone, I don't doubt Shanahan is considering it.

Rnd 2: Dre Moore - DT - Maryland
          Good pick. Dre has been a force inside this year. He may not be the enormous NT we keep hearing about the team needing, but he's got a hell of a lot more potential than the warm bodies we keep plugging in next to Marcus Thomas.

Rnd 3 (From Walker or Foxworth Trade): Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida
          Take a WR from Florida at your own peril. Seriously. They do not come into the league ready to face the reality of the NFL. The high-end passing attack and overall athletic/speed advantage their are used to having is gone overnight. Give me a receiver coming out of a less glamorous school that actually plays the pro set... I suspect that guy will have a lot better idea of what a receiver needs to do when everything isn't so perfect.

Rnd 5a: Wesley Woodyard - LB/S - Kentucky
          I'm not a big fan of tweeners. There are lots of solid LB's in the draft - get one if that's what you want. IMO, Woodyard is too small to be a LB and even with his speed he's more of an in-the-box safety. Definitely could make a contribution on special teams, though.

Rnd 7: Nick Watkins - LB - Clemson
          Now here's a real special teams demon. Definitely brings the kind of attitude this team needs. I don't like him and Woodyard in the same draft, though.

Comment

thats a good mock, I would be happy with that, although I hardly know any of the later round picks, I like where you picked up the 2 lineman, they sound like denver type players and with you mentioning that they might sign the guard from indy, it will give them a year to develop, the only pick I really am not sold on is the pick of the wr, I would much rather stick to defense with that pick, but yea good mock
            sigpic

Comment

Actually after the Bess thing, if he was there at 3 I would actually rather take Bess than Caldwell as he brings mroe to the return table too. And they both come as a developmental prospect if we got them... and Bess would at least contribute more I think while he was learning.
              Last edited by JoRo; 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM.
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

The only reason I think Caldwell is on the boards for Denver is that he is one of the few Florida receivers given any credit by the staff, while many were blasted for their horrific play throughout the season. I would like to have seen Bruce Hocker from Duquesne or Marcus Smith from New Mexico instead...but the fact that he will fall and has first day talent, plus being from a school with ties, I could see it more then the receivers I would prefer!

Comment

I always wondered with mock drafts that others do is if they're doing them for who they want on this team, or that they'd be players that the Broncos would seriously consider drafting/or would be legitimate targets for them. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
                    I always wondered with mock drafts that others do is if they're doing them for who they want on this team, or that they'd be players that the Broncos would seriously consider drafting/or would be legitimate targets for them. Just curious.
                    I tend to see three kinds:

wishful thinking: the casual fan... tends to be players the person likes and/or contains picks of ridiculous value (e.g. McFadden at 12)

better-than-the-pros: the "expert" draftnik... well thought out, good grasp of value. Still prone to containing a fair dose of bias (e.g. Atlanta draftniks insisting they won't take a QB in round 1).

grim reality: the pessimist... you know your franchise - the ups, the downs, the fact they make the same mistakes over and over again... so build them into your mock. Here's one I did in this vein over at NFLDC early last year:

Since we're talking "predictions", rather than "wish lists", here's my round-by-round picks based on the twisted mind of Mike S...

Round 1: Patrick Willis, Ole Miss

Comments: I can't shake that nagging feeling that Shanny will take a LB in round 1. Of course, it would be far too obvious to take the best SAM available, so he'll go MIKE/WILL instead just to keep our LB corps nice 'n' confused...

Round 2: Steve Smith, USC (or traded to get Willis in round 1)

Comments: I'd like Tim Crowder here, but Shanny doesn't care what I want and goes for offense instead.

Round 3a: John Wendling, Wyoming

Comments: Shanny makes a pick I actually like... probably just random chance (you know, monkeys and typewriters, etc)

Round 3b: Marcus Thomas, Crackhead

Comments: Hmm, weren't we supposed to be addressing the DL? Oops! Well, then it's perfect time to go for the mandatory reach/gamble.

Round 6a: Brandon Frye, Virginia Tech

Comments: Sifting for late round OL gems... typical.

Round 6b: Thomas Clayton, Kansas State

Comments: No way Shanny can resist going for a RB late. Lots of other guys could fit in here (Gary Russell, Ramonce Taylor, Ahmad Bradshaw)... as long as you've got the combination of questionable character and untapped potential, you're in the running...

Round 7: Louis Leonard, Frenso State

Comments: A big body for Bates to work with... gotta give him something, as it's only a 50/50 that Marcus T. even finds his way to Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
                      I was thinking of exactly the same question, but figured there was an obvious answer I was unaware of.

I also wonder how mock drafts can exist in a vacuum. They're a lot of fun as purely a piece of speculation or fantasy (depending on one's answer to your question), but it tells the reader so much more about the poster's ideas if things like free-agency moves and plans regarding schemes (defensive in our case this offseason) are also mentioned. I do realize it takes a lot of time and effort to come up with these mocks though and hats off to anyone who attempts one.
                      Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Change Mendenhall to Chris Johnson, and I would be a happy man with that draft.

Comment

i dont like caldwell i would prefer to go after a WR in FA, kevin robnson is a better choice and he will go in the 5th, we coul;d really use a returner from the draft and get a WR to compliment marshall in FA.

also did you not see owen schmidt play i would take him over any other FB in the 4th other than peyton hills.

i also would prefer to get dizon for special teams.

however i do like the mock and would not cry if it happened, however there are far better o-line and d-line talents at pick 12, and history shows that very few OT and DT's last in the nfl drafted after the second rd.

we need our lines fixed......rashard medehall wont fix our run game if we cant block!

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                            also did you not see owen schmidt play i would take him over any other FB in the 4th other than peyton hills.
                            dunno bout owen scmidt, but i´d take owen schmitt over peyton hillis

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198 View Post
                              dunno bout owen scmidt, but i´d take owen schmitt over peyton hillis

thats who i meant

Comment

Working...
                              X