Lancane's Draft as of 1/3/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lancane View Post
    We do have scouts in all major college areas, but we do scout more heavily in the eastern and southwestern confrences due to ties...is that better Dream?

Denver has connections all over the place; all teams do. Sundquist was on record saying he was a fan of big school players, especially SEC players because they know what it's like to play in the big games in front of huge crowds ever Saturday. You implied in multiple posts that Denver doesn't select players from the Western area (coastal) of the country and that is simply not true. PAC, WAC, etc. They're all there. Denver may have connections at schools like Florida (they did at Vanderbilt, but Ed Lambert to my knowledge is no longer with us) and in other areas - but that doesn't mean they overlook top programs in the PAC just for that reason.

Denver has what, 13 drafted players on their team? It's still pathetic. You didn't really have a base for what you had to say, but just went with a typical "the proof is in the pudding" -- what proof? Almost every player we draft gets away. Yeah, Denver has an extreme affinity for SEC players (self-admitted) - but that doesn't mean we don't scout certain areas, or that there is preference over the other. We have the resources, and we do whatever we can to find the best players that fit this team. It doesn't matter where you are from. Most of the big football schools are out that way. Of course it's typical that a lot of selections would be from that area - however to count out players from out draft board and predict that they won't be on this team because of an unfounded, baseless belief that we don't scout certain areas is ludicrous.

I don't mean to be picky, but I have to point out wrong things when I see them.

Do I agree with you that we spend more time in areas like the SEC, or might place out more resources to places we have "connections" with - absolutely. However, the general premise of two posts really caught my eye and that's something I strongly disagree with, and I'm sure if we had the chance to talk to a guy like Ted or Jim, they'd tell you the same thing.
    Last edited by Dream; 01-05-2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Damnit...Plummer you cost us even when your not in a jersey!!!

Thanks Dream...do you have a link so I can read the details?
      Not to the exact Post article(s), but here:

http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/35

I'm pretty confident we'll get that other pick. I think Armstrong was talking about it (the selections we had) the other day, and I know that was mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
        Denver has connections all over the place; all teams do. Sundquist was on record saying he was a fan of big school players, especially SEC players because they know what it's like to play in the big games in front of huge crowds ever Saturday. You implied in multiple posts that Denver doesn't select players from the Western area (coastal) of the country and that is simply not true. PAC, WAC, etc. They're all there. Denver may have connections at schools like Florida (they did at Vanderbilt, but Ed Lambert to my knowledge is no longer with us) and in other areas - but that doesn't mean they overlook top programs in the PAC just for that reason.

Denver has what, 13 drafted players on their team? It's still pathetic. You didn't really have a base for what you had to say, but just went with a typical "the proof is in the pudding" -- what proof? Almost every player we draft gets away. Yeah, Denver has an extreme affinity for SEC players (self-admitted) - but that doesn't mean we don't scout certain areas, or that there is preference over the other. We have the resources, and we do whatever we can to find the best players that fit this team. It doesn't matter where you are from. Most of the big football schools are out that way. Of course it's typical that a lot of selections would be from that area - however to count out players from out draft board and predict that they won't be on this team because of an unfounded, baseless belief that we don't scout certain areas is ludicrous.
        I just admitted we scout all areas including the southwestern areas, which is not only the BIG XII but Mountain West and so forth, but we do have a known affinity as you said to SEC players...by why so defensive Dream? Unless you are a scout for the organization, we have overlooked a lot of talent from western schools such as Cal, Oregon, USC, Stanford, Fresno State and the few we have gone with have left a very bad taste in fans' mouths such as Ernster and Lelie. You say what I believe is ludicrous, I believe your assinine attitude is unfounded and your a bit too defensive in what is very obvious. We do not scout in a normal fashion per Shanahan himself, we look to talk with those we have ties with...and Denver has more ties to the Big XII, Big Ten and the SEC then any other confrences...sorry if you do not like what I believe Dream and that is your choice. I am just pointing out what tends to be very obvious...

Comment

Not to the exact Post article(s), but here:

http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/35

I'm pretty confident we'll get that other pick. I think Armstrong was talking about it (the selections we had) the other day, and I know that was mentioned.
          Thanks...what did Armstrong say exactly do you remember?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77
            Can't we all just get along?!?!

Hahaha...I am trying, Dream and I tend to get along most days...but I think Dream is aggitated by something, and the net is not the best place to be if your ticked off, you tend to be a bit aggressive towards people!

Now give me a crowbar so I can hit you TX! ....just kidding!

Comment

Hahaha...I am trying, Dream and I tend to get along most days...but I think Dream is aggitated by something, and the net is not the best place to be if your ticked off, you tend to be a bit aggressive towards people!

Now give me a crowbar so I can hit you TX! ....just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                The number of West Coast school players we've drafted in Shanahan's tenure, or undrafted players we've picked up during his time here isn't opinion. It's fact, and it's there. Like I said, I'm in agreement and I understand the positions given by Shanahan and Sundquist in the schools we have connections with, and the players they have an affinity for [SEC], but your opinion that we don't take a good shake at the kids from the West Coast is just a false one. Your first posts seemed to indicate that we payed little attention out there, and you stated Stewart and Ellis wouldn't be Broncos because we don't "scout" hard out West. Those aren't really good reasons for them not being on the team, or being on our radar. It's just an opinion that doesn't really have much base, considering there are eight regions this team covers, and that happens to be one of them.

The area is close and convenient, I don't even see why this is being debated. There's no reason why we wouldn't scout there.

Furthermore you stated this:

Southwest and Midwest Regions - Eugene Armstrong
                West Region - Bobby Beers
                Midwest Region - Scott DiStefano
                Southeast - Jeff Goodman
                Northeast - Anthony Kelly
                Atlantic/East - Cal McCombs
                Northwest Midwest - Greg Miller
                Scouting Consultant (All Regions) - Cornell Green

Jim Goodman heads all these guys, and he plays a huge role in the talent observation at the All Star games.

Eight people, eight zones. Three of them overlap in the Midwest. Why? Denver's in that area. Each one represents a zone (Green is a consultant) and Goodman makes nine and can roam all over and heads these people. There's a scout per area, and the Midwest overlaps. Teams will overlap in the areas they're close to. It's simple.

The fact is we have one scout based in every area, so I don't even know how "hardly" applies.

I've had a great day, your post just raised an eyebrow because it really didn't make much sense. You've clarified yourself more, but the general premise of your posts (quoted above and elsewhere) aren't right. I agree with the affinity of SEC players, and the Midwest overlap (obviously, why would that be debatable) but in regarding the West region, not at all.
                Okay then I see your point, I still think we are bias to schools with ties, especially out east...

I just thought you were having a real bad day!!! Hahaha...

Thanks for clearing it up, I think we just got our lines crossed, my fault - Cane

Comment

Denver has what, 13 drafted players on their team? It's still pathetic.
                  16. And I believe it's thee lowest draft % of players in the NFL.

Denver has 10 undrafted free agents on the roster.

Comment

It's sixteen? Are you sure. I thought I counted 13 on the site's roster.

Comment

Yea, 13 on the active roster.

I was counting IR also, which really wasn't helping Denver's argument.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                        Yea, 13 on the active roster.

I was counting IR also, which really wasn't helping Denver's argument.
                        That is such a pathetic statistic...makes you really wonder what our problem has been over the years...besides letting the few real good prospects go, there were way too many busts!

Comment

Change Mendenhall to Chris Johnson, and I would be a happy man with that draft.
                          CJ is not a first! Ive seen like all his college games. He is VERY fast and agile but there are still concerns if he can play in the NFL (just like... Reggie Bush but only the questions are bigger)

Comment

Originally posted by Momentum View Post
                            CJ is not a first! Ive seen like all his college games. He is VERY fast and agile but there are still concerns if he can play in the NFL (just like... Reggie Bush but only the questions are bigger)
                            What concerns?

He's the fastest RB in college arguably, he's a pass catching threat, he's good at blitz plickup, he can run between the tackles, and he's a homerun waiting to happen on any part of the football field.

He probably isn't a first round talent at this point, but he isn't no slack. He's #2 on Mel Kiper's board of RBs (I realize Kiper's board doesn't involve Mendenhall, Charles, Jones, McFadden, Stewart, underclassmen...), but there isn't any reason why he can't be a quality second round steal that maybe sneaks into a late first round pick after the combine ala Joseph Addai style.

Comment

What concerns?

He's the fastest RB in college arguably, he's a pass catching threat, he's good at blitz plickup, he can run between the tackles, and he's a homerun waiting to happen on any part of the football field.

He probably isn't a first round talent at this point, but he isn't no slack. He's #2 on Mel Kiper's board of RBs (I realize Kiper's board doesn't involve Mendenhall, Charles, Jones, McFadden, Stewart, underclassmen...), but there isn't any reason why he can't be a quality second round steal that maybe sneaks into a late first round pick after the combine ala Joseph Addai style.
                              Johnson's only real issues stem from some easy dropped passes even with his above average number of receptions, and his overall field vision. I think the biggest thing against him coming to Denver is that he is not a big enough, with Denver's system I would say he needs to add at least 15lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

Southwest and Midwest Regions - Eugene Armstrong
                                West Region - Bobby Beers
                                Midwest Region - Scott DiStefano
                                Southeast - Jeff Goodman
                                Northeast - Anthony Kelly
                                Atlantic/East - Cal McCombs
                                Northwest Midwest - Greg Miller
                                Scouting Consultant (All Regions) - Cornell Green

Jim Goodman heads all these guys, and he plays a huge role in the talent observation at the All Star games.

Eight people, eight zones. Three of them overlap in the Midwest. Why? Denver's in that area. Each one represents a zone (Green is a consultant) and Goodman makes nine and can roam all over and heads these people. There's a scout per area, and the Midwest overlaps. Teams will overlap in the areas they're close to. It's simple.

The fact is we have one scout based in every area, so I don't even know how "hardly" applies.

I've had a great day, your post just raised an eyebrow because it really didn't make much sense. You've clarified yourself more, but the general premise of your posts (quoted above and elsewhere) aren't right. I agree with the affinity of SEC players, and the Midwest overlap (obviously, why would that be debatable) but in regarding the West region, not at all.

How does our number of scouts compare to other teams? Is that one of the possible reasons why we don't do as well in the draft until recently? I know the Bengals were notorious for their small scouting staff in the past and that was a factor in their horrible drafting.
                                Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                                Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Working...
                                X