Ray Rice, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Rice, anyone?

Hasn't declared yet, but the junior RB from Rutgers is projected to be picked between 40-55 or so, and we pick at 44.

He's small, and not incredibly fast, but he's very quick and gets the tough couple yards.

He rushed for over 2,000 yards this year, and if he does return for his senior year he has a pretty good shot at breaking the all time NCAA career rushing record.

If he enters the draft he'll be picked in the general area of our 2nd round pick, so he may be someone we look at.

I think he'd fit in well in our system, but I'm not sure if we'll look at RB in the 2nd round.

What do you guys think?
    Administrator

sigpic

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
    Hasn't declared yet, but the junior RB from Rutgers is projected to be picked between 40-55 or so, and we pick at 44.

He's small, and not incredibly fast, but he's very quick and gets the tough couple yards.

He rushed for over 2,000 yards this year, and if he does return for his senior year he has a pretty good shot at breaking the all time NCAA career rushing record.

If he enters the draft he'll be picked in the general area of our 2nd round pick, so he may be someone we look at.

I think he'd fit in well in our system, but I'm not sure if we'll look at RB in the 2nd round.

What do you guys think?
    I would rather keep Henry in that case!

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
      I would rather keep Henry in that case!
      How come?

Administrator

sigpic

Comment

How come?

Cause midgets tend not to last in the NFL...

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
          Cause midgets tend not to last in the NFL...

He's not that short.

I don't know how good of a pro he will wind up being, but I think there's a shot he has a pretty good career. I don't know if that's worth the risk of our 2nd pick though.
          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Hasn't there been queations with durability with Rice? I thought I heard some talk about him returning to try and deal with that issue?
            Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
            GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
            #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
            #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
            #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
            #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
            Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
              Hasn't there been queations with durability with Rice? I thought I heard some talk about him returning to try and deal with that issue?
              Durability? He has 345 and 335 carries the past two seasons.

He's carried the ball as much as most in the NFL.
              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Ray would do well in Denver. He'd be a nice pick!

Comment

Durability? He has 345 and 335 carries the past two seasons.

He's carried the ball as much as most in the NFL.
                  Well thats why I asked the question, I had heard some stuff. Don't know Rice well but from what I have seen that was against what I thought.
                  Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
                  GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
                  #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
                  #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
                  #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
                  #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
                  Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

This, to me, is a much better choice than Mendenhall in the first round. We can fix a need in the first, grab Rice in the second, and draft for need and depth in the later rounds.

Plus, Rice is really our type of runner.
                    In Manning I trust.

Comment

Im a huge fan of Ray Rices, ive watched every game in his 3 year career with rutgers and i would have to say that he is one of the best running back prospects this year. And heres why...

First, he is very durable. There is no question that he will have a healthy career in the nfl. No nagging injuries and no serious injuries. for as much as he carries the ball he hasnt been injured thus far in his college career, thats very impressive. Oh yeah, he barely ever fumbles..

Second, you say hes a midget? this kid is a maurice jones-drew type of player...hes not gonna burn you with his speed but he's great in the trenches, at 5'9 the guy is 205!! thats not small for a runing back at all. Most of the great backs are about as tall as him. ie emmitt, jones drew, barry sanders, etc...

Third, rutgers plays a zone blocking scheme and Rice is a master at finding the hole. Great vision. The Big East is one of the best NCAA conferences in stopping the run and this year alone against USF, Cinci (of the the best run defenses in NCAA) he had monster games.

Forth, and maybe the most important is that he gets stronger as the game goes on, he doesnt lose a step. The kid is all work. His work ethic is amazing, a real student of the game.

And lastly, this year he has really proven that he can catch the ball out of the backfield, he wont have 88 rec. like reggie bush but when you need him in the flat or on a screen hes very reliable. And hes really been concentrating on his pass blocking this year, getting much better, like i said hes a student of the game.

I guess you can call me a homer of Rutgers but the facts dont lie. Dont over look this kid. Hes been consistant, last year he had 1700 yards with brian leonard blocking for him and no one really knowing his potencial...this year he put up 2000+ yards with B Leonard gone and teams now paying attention to him...plus both years 20+ tds. Dont sleep on him, hes gonna be great...if it wasnt for rutgers losing 5 games this year he would have been a top 5 hiesman finalist.

I would love to see this kid in a broncos uniform, he will absolutely dominate for years to come in our style of offense.

heres a link so you can all see what im talking about..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYSTLIdLg0

^^^made by OrangeShadow

Comment

Originally posted by NJfan26 View Post
                        this year he put up 2000+ yards with B Leonard gone and teams now paying attention to him...plus both years 20+ tds.
                        Ray Rice is the reason why Brian Leonard moved to FB, is he not?

He also plays in a zone blocking scheme at Rutgers.

Has gone over 1000 yards in every season at Rutgers.

Has also averaged over 5.0 yards every season at Rutgers.

I don't know what he looks like as an NFL draft prospect, but he's certainly a good looking RB.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                          Ray Rice is the reason why Brian Leonard moved to FB, is he not?

Well B Leonard was a FB but he was converted to FB/HB cause rutgers didnt have any good running backs till rice took over mid way thru his freshman year. But he was always FB first and RB when needed.

^^^made by OrangeShadow

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
                            This, to me, is a much better choice than Mendenhall in the first round. We can fix a need in the first, grab Rice in the second, and draft for need and depth in the later rounds.

Plus, Rice is really our type of runner.
                            I really do think he is exactly our type of runner, plus he's durable.

He hasn't been injured too badly at any point in his career at Rutgers, something we really need in a RB.
                            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

I would love this guy. I've only seen him in 4-5 games, mostly last year, but he could be a perfect fit. And hes not TOO short for the NFL. Damn look at Jones-Drew, he is dominating against most would-be-tacklers, and if he were a prospect right now I'm sure plenty of people would say he is too short.

I hope Rice declares and we target him.

Comment

Working...
                              X