X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denver30
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    I won't argue with this point, I'm one of his biggest critics! But I will not be a part of any "Shanahan must go!" BS.

Besides, his latest drafts have improved, which admittedly, isn't saying a whole lot.

But brace yourself for a letdown, Cane, Shanahan just doesn't have any use for the players you and I like.

The Clady's and Mendenhall's are more like Duane Brown and Kregg Lumpkin.

And, people, don't start with the "How long do you give Shanahan?/Do you give Shanahan a lifetime exemption?" crap......
    Even though Shanahan had some succuss a while back, it doesn't mean that the strategy he used then will always work. If Shanny doesn't realize this soon, I think it's time to change. However, if we take the right players and build a good base, we could have another couple runs at the big game. Give it a little bit more time.

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    I won't argue with this point, I'm one of his biggest critics! But I will not be a part of any "Shanahan must go!" BS.

Besides, his latest drafts have improved, which admittedly, isn't saying a whole lot.

But brace yourself for a letdown, Cane, Shanahan just doesn't have any use for the players you and I like.

And, people, don't start with the "How long do you give Shanahan?/Do you give Shanahan a lifetime exemption?" crap......
    I won't have to...I think Bowlen is pissed, that is why all of a sudden Shanahan looks like a new puppy after getting 'snipped'. IMHO, I believe he has been told that he has had freedoms that most do not have in the league and that it has produced little promise since his first three years and but two years ago. If you equate his drafting, only five of his first round picks have really panned out, but sadly only two are on the roster right now. If Shanahan produces another blunder of a season or one which was barely good and certain additions did not improve us...I think Shanahan will be gone, and I think he knows it.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by lancane View Post
    Actually Stnzed, at that point...even I may be on that bandwagon! His lack of building has really done nothing except put us in the current bind, if he keeps putting fodder on the team, then we will never improve.

Last edited by stnzed; 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    He does have success doing it though, and I think he enjoys being "The Running Back Whisperer".

But Shanahan is a great coach, be careful what you wish for......
    Actually Stnzed, at that point...even I may be on that bandwagon! His lack of building has really done nothing except put us in the current bind, if he keeps putting fodder on the team, then we will never improve.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
    Then next year its time to put the banwagon of Shanny must go !

cus really this is flat out stupid on Shanny's part if he keeps thinking we can turn a lump of coal into a diamond.

He does have success doing it though, and I think he enjoys being "The Running Back Whisperer".

But Shanahan is a great coach, be careful what you wish for......

Leave a comment:

• BroncoKazuki
    replied
    The fact is, with so many needs, chances are Shanahan will fall back on his tried and true philosophy of drafting Offensive lineman/Running Backs Nobodies in the late rounds.

Unfortunately, a leopard cannot change his spots, and if we know anything about Mike Shanahan, we know he has no use for talented OL and RB's.

If you want to predict who the Broncos will take, I think you can forget about a LT or RB in the first 2 rounds, and focus your attention on potential WR/CB busts......

Then next year its time to put the banwagon of Shanny must go !

cus really this is flat out stupid on Shanny's part if he keeps thinking we can turn a lump of coal into a diamond.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    The fact is, with so many needs, chances are Shanahan will fall back on his tried and true philosophy of drafting Offensive lineman/Running Backs Nobodies in the late rounds.

Unfortunately, a leopard cannot change his spots, and if we know anything about Mike Shanahan, we know he has no use for talented OL and RB's.

If you want to predict who the Broncos will take, I think you can forget about a LT or RB in the first 2 rounds, and focus your attention on potential WR/CB busts......

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Matt Forte?

If this is true, obviously the Broncos do not share our view that they need a franchise back.

This would be the typical Cubic Zirconia in the Rough that gives Shanahan a chubby......

Leave a comment:

• DrewB
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Denver honed in on Matt Forte towards the end of the Senior Bowl week in terms of time investment and interviews.
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 224 lbs. Age: 22
    Pos: RB
    Class: Senior

ATT 361 | YDS 2,127 | TD 23

Wow he put up some nice numbers last year...anyone ever watch him play ??

EDIT>>>

found this on video on him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbaIF22NGQ
    Last edited by DrewB; 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Denver honed in on Matt Forte towards the end of the Senior Bowl week in terms of time investment and interviews.

Leave a comment:

• DrewB
    replied
    This totally is homer pick, but I would love to see Denver give Danny Woodhead out of division 2 Chadron State College maybe in the later rounds or as a priority freeagent

He went to high School here in North Platte, Nebraska...No big Schools wanted him due to his size which at the time was 5-9 180 he is now up to 200 pounds is built very similar to how Quinton Griffin is built

Danny is the NCAA all time leading rusher and has a great attitude and work ethic...Not sure his skills will translate well to the NFL,but IMO he could be a very good returner and 3rd down back similar to Darren Sproles for the Chargers

here is a good write up on him from SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...022/index.html
    Last edited by DrewB; 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    Originally posted by Dream View Post
    There's no guarantee that Mendenhall is going to be what we need either. I don't understand this Mendenhall or bust mentality. *shrugs* You're just setting yourself up for disappointment and others along with you if he's not our guy.
    I would prefer Mendenhall, but I would not mind Jones...I am not dead set on any given player...if we take Phillips, I would be perfectly fine...I prefer we get a halfback over a safety, but I also would not mind if Dorsey fell to us either, I like Mendenhall over Stewart, but if Mendenhall was gone and Stewart was there...I would be all for drafting him. So it really is not 'Mendenhall or Bust', that is just who I prefer out of the top round halfbacks, I am sure you can understand that!

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    Take off your Mendenhall colored glasses for once. GD dude. Reread what I posted and think about it. Tatum Bell was a senior was he not? Did he come out early? All I mentioned were 8-9 top rb prospects are Juniors and most if not all would be first round picks next year.

Like I said you are so biased it is on the borderline of prejudice. Open Mindedness is not a bad thing.

Reread.

Prejudice? Um...maybe you need to look up the meaning of that word! I mentioned several names other then Mendenhall.

You're the one not being open minded, Chris Johnson was suppose to be the best back of this draft class a year ago, now he is not even in the top four. Look at Hart, I do not remember, but I am sure Dream does...but I believe he was suppose to be one of the top five backs in the draft last year, but now people see past all that and he is not even in the top ten for the backs in this year's draft. Just cause the draft is deep, does not mean there is quality in the mix later...do you understand that? If Smith and Johnson were still round one graded backs, they would still be up there...no matter junior or senior status, but they are not. It is not impossible to see six or seven round one graded players in a draft at a position, not usual...but that means out of all those supposed great backs only four are worth the use of a round one pick, my point to you was that whether or not someone is a senior or junior it is their tangibles and abilities and how they are graded which matters...or wouldn't Smith be rated higher then Mendenhall, Illinois is not an elite program...just like Cutler being from Vanderbilt did not hinder his draft status, Jones was not a full-time back and is still rated above both Johnson and Smith who have had better careers...why?

Just cause Jamaal Charles is a second round pick does not mean he is going to be a great pro, but his chances to become a better back then Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones, McFadden, Johnson or even Smith is very unlikely. Depth in a draft does not equal quality, just better opportunity to get something more then roster fodder later. I would takes Jones over Smith, I would take Stewart over Johnson, I would take Mendenhall over Slaton...that is just based on the facts that they have a better chance then the latter athletes to be more in this league.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    There's no guarantee that Mendenhall is going to be what we need either. I don't understand this Mendenhall or bust mentality. *shrugs* You're just setting yourself up for disappointment and others along with you if he's not our guy.

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    Originally posted by Dream View Post
    I think there's enough talent in this draft where we don't have to draft say a Mendenhall or a Stewart to get our guy. There will be options in the fourth round that could prove to be starters. Of course, I'd be happy with Mendenhall in the first or a Stewart; but if a Choice slips to the fourth, or there's another guy there. . . I'd be just as happy.
    True, and you and I have talked about Choice, but there is no guarantee in any round Dream, not even in the first...there have been 1st overall round one picks whom have been busts many of times, the chances that Choice is a franchise back compared to Stewart, Jones or Mandenhall is what 25 to 1 odds, the chances of Mendenhall and the other top round backs is 3 to 1, not great odds...but better, the second round it is 7 to 1, maybe 5 to 1...the draft really is the lottso of football, but the better you play the more likely you are to win. You always need someone to pan out from day two, and we have...Marshall, Kuper, Dumervil, Thomas, Davis and the list goes on, but we have to also remember all those who did nothing, Clarett (who should have been a 4th or latter pick), Mauck, Van Pelt and that list goes on, not everyone will be a Brady, Dumervil, Marshall, Davis and so forth. Remember all the talk that Mauck or Van Pelt would be the next great Denver quarterback and finally Shanahan realized to play the odds and he drafted Cutler, Van Pelt supporters were saying stuff like "There is no guarantee, Van Pelt will win the job" but odds were in favor of Cutler.

All I am saying is that eventually Shanahan will have to pull the trigger and draft positions where we need quality higher then he would at other times. If we do not take Mendenhall, I would not mind us drafting Choice, but there is no guarantee Choice will be anything more then just another back and we are doing this same argument again next year, or the year after that, or again the year after that...until it is finally fixed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X