Overall, Draft Looks Like A Poor One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I am finished with my complete and full 3 round mock and its amazing the players that are still on the board.
    Can we see it?

Comment

Originally posted by jrfernan View Post
      That is PRECISELY why I've harped on about Ellis being the ONLY choice we have for DT this year. Beyond him, there ARENT' ANY DTs worth bringing into camp. Granted, we CAN wait until next year to draft a DT, and that's what some of you have proposed. But I don't agree with doing that.

Next year's draft may very well have MORE DTs that are OVERALL BETTER than this year's DT crop but that doesn't mean that one will be better than Ellis. I think Ellis is a RARE talent at DT.

As for RBs, the draft is PROBABLY one of the deepest in recent history. Don't be surprised if we see 3-5 rookie RBs go over the 1k yards mark this year.

Lets say Ellis is gone, would you be willing to wait next year for a shot at a good DT

lets say some of the prospect in the 2009 DT's look pretty good too. would you champion either of these picks.

Fili Moala (USC)
      Terrance Taylor (Michigan)
      Demonte Bolden (Tennessee)
      Jeff Owens (Georgia)
      Myron Pryor (Kentucky)
      Roy Miller (Texas)
      Marlon Favorite (LSU)
      McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

As others have pointed out, the draft is deep, not top heavy. Fixating on the first half of round 1 provides a pretty skewed perspective.

We should be happy that it's a deep draft in terms of talent, because this team needs help at a number of positions. We are *not* just one player away.

Comment

Originally posted by Warhawk View Post
          As others have pointed out, the draft is deep, not top heavy. Fixating on the first half of round 1 provides a pretty skewed perspective.

We should be happy that it's a deep draft in terms of talent, because this team needs help at a number of positions. We are *not* just one player away.
          we are 5 players away for the offense to come back to top speed, RB/WR/OG/OT/C
          [orange indicates we draft either this year or next]

we are 4 players away on Defense to make the Defense solid.
          DT/ILB/OLB/S

we are a punter away for the special teams to be decent and Kick Returner.

so in all were 11 players away from fixing the team.

this year we fix RB/WR/OT grab a OLB and S

next year we draft DT/OG/C and ILB
          McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

This is the deepest and most talented draft that I've ever seen. No disrespect towards anyone, just stating my honest to God opinion. I am literally floored with the amount of talent at seemingly every position that will be available into the 5th round.

I am finished with my complete and full 3 round mock and its amazing the players that are still on the board.
            Deepest and most talented you have ever seen???!

I would love to have you list say the middle players at any position that you think will be good players still available in say the 3rd and 4th rounds, because I just don't see it...but I love the middle round projects, because the first two rounds are too easy. True scouting is done when you can find the Brandon marshall's, the Asante Samuels', the Ellis Hobbs', the Trent Cole's, etc...that where the men are separated from the boys in scouting.

What positions are deepest in your opinion, MUG?..and who are some of the players.

I will look forward to the read. Thx in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
              Deepest and most talented you have ever seen???!

I would love to have you list say the middle players at any position that you think will be good players still available in say the 3rd and 4th rounds, because I just don't see it...but I love the middle round projects, because the first two rounds are too easy. True scouting is done when you can find the Brandon marshall's, the Asante Samuels', the Ellis Hobbs', the Trent Cole's, etc...that where the men are separated from the boys in scouting.

What positions are deepest in your opinion, MUG?..and who are some of the players.

I will look forward to the read. Thx in advance.

Going off of my 3 Round Mock, which I'm still tinkering with after the Senior Bowl Week...

3rd-5th Rounders with Extreme Talent:

QB
              Andre Woodson
              John David Booty
              Dennis Dixon
              Josh Johnson

RB
              Steve Slaton
              Kevin Smith
              Ray Rice
              Dantrell Savage
              Mike Hart
              Tashard Choice
              Matt Forte
              Allen Patrick
              Cory Boyd

FB
              Peyton Hillis
              Owen Schmitt
              Jerome Felton
              Jacob Hester

WR
              Earl Bennett
              Keenon Burton
              Harry Douglas
              Andre Caldwell
              Eddie Royal
              Devone Bess
              Dorien Bryant
              Lavelle Hawkins
              DJ Hall
              Jordy Nelson
              Kevin Robinson
              Adrian Arrington
              Dexter Jackson
              Justin Harper

TE
              Martin Rucker
              Dustin Keller
              Brad Cottam
              Jarmicheal Finley
              Craig Stevens

OT
              Tony Hills
              Duane Brown
              Pedro Sosa
              Kirk Barton
              Chad Rinehart
              Mike McGlynn

OG
              Roy Schuening
              John Greco
              Brandon Albert
              Robert Felton
              Eric Young
              Heath Benedict
              Drew Radovich

OC
              Mike Pollack
              Steve Justice
              John Sullivan
              Kory Lichtensteiger
              Adam Spieker

This is going to be an amazing draft. The above players all have elite calibur potential, or at worst, should be excellent starting players. Due to all the talent in this draft, the best of the Centers, Guards, and Full Backs are pushed into the 3rd round area barring the very top prospects. I only have Oneil Cousins, Carl Nicks, and Steve Justice going in the top 2 rounds and that might even change. Lots of top talent available here. My favorite guard is Greco, my favorite fullback is Hillis, and my favorite Cener is Pollack.

The Runningback crop is so deep due to the juniors that you're going to be able to get a late 2nd round talent in the 5th round. Someone like Matt Forte, Allen Patrick, or Cory Boyd. I think all of these guys will be successful pros. Tashard Choice could be the biggest steal.

And likewise for the WR crop. I was generous in leaving some WRs such as Limas Sweed and Early Doucet off the list because popular opinion has them in the first two rounds. I think both fall to the early 3rd largely due to durability issues and a ton of talent at the position. Earl Bennett will be a 3rd rounder which is borderline ridiculous with his talent and ability. He should be an early 2nd at worst in most drafts. I have Kevin Robinson in the 4th-5th round area and I think he could be the steal of the draft as a Slot WR and Return Ace. Regardless though, I only listed the WRs with a TON of talent that should go in this draft area. The WR crop is insanely deep and all of these guys are bargains in the mid rounds.

The TE crop is above average but not spectacular. But due to the draft being so deep at more dynamic positions, the good players are pushed down into the 3rd round at TE. With that said, I still have Carlson, Davis, and Bennett going off the board before the 3rd. And the remaining TEs, especially Rucker, should be solid starters. Jacob Tamme is a sleeper guy, but I didn't add him because I am not sure where he'll play, TE or FB.

At OT, I think all of the above guys could fit our scheme and excel. I purposely left out the bigger OT talents, such as Barry Richardson, because I'm thinking more towards our scheme here. Barton projects as a very good right tackle, Brown as a very good left tackle, and my sleeper of the bunch is Pedro Sosa whom is a very good left tackle in a zone blocking scheme. Maybe the best prospect for that scheme. He's a solid guard in other schemes.

And then the QB crop is ok. I have Woodson, whom is full of talent, falling due to being a Byron Leftwich clone. As a Jacksonville native, maybe I'm bias. I have Henne going in the early 2nd along with Flacco, so that prediction lessons the star power at QB in the mid rounds. I think John David Booty is a huge sleeper.

Now for defense.....
              Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Again, I'm going with Extreme Talent and guys I feel are bargains or flat out steals in the mid rounds....

DE (and OLBs in the 3-4)
                Bruce Davis
                Darrell Robertson
                Cliff Avril
                Chris Harrington
                Chase Ortiz
                Tommy Blake
                Wallace Gilberry

DT (and DEs in the 3-4)
                Kendall Langford
                Trevor Laws
                Ahtyba Rubin
                Letroy Guion
                Derek Lokey

LBs (Inside and Out)
                Tavares Gooden
                Phillip Wheeler
                Jordon Dizon
                Geno Hayes
                Vince Hall
                Ezra Butler
                Shawn Crable
                Erin Henderson
                J. Leman
                Ben Moffitt
                Jonathan Goff

CBs
                Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie
                DeJuan Tribble
                Terrence Wheatley
                Simeon Castille
                Chevis Jackson
                Jack Williams
                Patrick Lee
                Charles Godfrey
                Trae Williams

S
                DaJuan Morgan
                Jonathan Heffney
                Craig Steltz
                Jamar Adams
                Quintin Demps
                Marcus Griffin
                Thomas DeCoud
                Tommy Zbikowski
                DJ Parker
                Jamie Silva
                Josh Barrett

K/P
                Durant Brooks (P)

I'd rate the DE class as below average. Definitely not deep. Most of the guys I listed are probably 3-4 OLBs. Tommy Blake is the sleeper if he can get his life straightened out. If not, Cliff Avril.

DT is pretty lackluster as well. Though, if you buy into alot of the D-line hype, it could be considered deep. I left quite a few guys off the list because I don't think they have elite talent (Fluellen, Pressley, Bryant) but they will go in this area of the draft. I also have Okam and Moore going in the late 2nd, but that could be wrong. I would put both guys on this list if they drop. Obviously, Okam would then be my sleeper. As it stands, I absolutely love the potential of the guys I listed. I would be thrilled with any of them. Laws, Guion, and Rubin could all sneak into the late 2nd though, so we'll see. I love the depth in the DT class into the 3rd round. After that...not at all. So it's a very very top heavy draft at DT.

The LB class is exceptional. There are going to be superstars drafted into the late 4th round, possibly 5th. I only listed the guys I think could be elite calibur. Some are pure MIKEs, some WILLs, some can play anywhere. There could also be a lot more LBs falling into this range, I could see Mayo and Highsmith falling to the early 3rd. Perhaps Beau Bell as well if his injury hampers him. I would love to get any of the guys listed. I think Moffitt is the biggest sleeper at MIKE. I like Dizon at WILL, especially in our scheme.

The secondary, especially at Safety, is as deep as I can remember. Talented CBs abound, especially elite nickel back types, but Safety is just amazing. All of the guys I listed have Pro Bowl capability and were extremely successful in college. You can get insane Safety talent into the 6th round this year as at least a few of these guys will fall due to the draft being so overly talented at the marquee positions. I love Demps. I love Silva. Both ballhawking Free Safeties. DeCoud should be a superstar at Strong Safety. The talent of Zbikowski is enticing as is Jamar Adams. I mean Holy Crap! This is easily the deepest Safety draft I've seen. There may or may not be that super blue chip prospect but there are a lot of excellent starters here.

And Durant Brooks as a Punter might be on our radar in the 4th round. He's as good as anyone as of late.

So, there you go. I listed the guys I think have elite calibur talent that should be available in the 3rd-4th round. I did not list all the players that are projected to be drafted there as I disagree with some analysis. And I'm sure there are some small school guys that will leap up after the Combine with intriguing talent and size/speed ratios.

Even barring any late comers, I think this is the deepest overall draft I've ever seen. I think RB, WR, and Safety are as deep as they've ever been, ever, and I think top notch talent will be available into the 5th round. I think CB, LB, OT, FB, OC, OG, and TE will have excellent depth with top notch talent available into the late 4th round, and I mean excellent, top ceiling talent. I think DT and QB should have extremely good talent available into the late 3rd before tailing off drastically. And I think DE has some good top level guys, but really dead ends around the mid-2nd round.

Mainly though, the influx of junior talent at RB and WR to ridiculous degrees really makes this draft. Those are the marquee positions, along with QB and LT, and really push down top players at other positions deeper into the draft.

Comment

That's more players than I even watched this year on those two lists of bargains.

Comment

Again, I'm going with Extreme Talent and guys I feel are bargains or flat out steals in the mid rounds....

DE (and OLBs in the 3-4)
                    Bruce Davis
                    Darrell Robertson
                    Cliff Avril
                    Chris Harrington
                    Chase Ortiz
                    Tommy Blake
                    Wallace Gilberry

DT (and DEs in the 3-4)
                    Kendall Langford
                    Trevor Laws
                    Ahtyba Rubin
                    Letroy Guion
                    Derek Lokey

LBs (Inside and Out)
                    Tavares Gooden
                    Phillip Wheeler
                    Jordon Dizon
                    Geno Hayes
                    Vince Hall
                    Ezra Butler
                    Shawn Crable
                    Erin Henderson
                    J. Leman
                    Ben Moffitt
                    Jonathan Goff

CBs
                    Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie
                    DeJuan Tribble
                    Terrence Wheatley
                    Simeon Castille
                    Chevis Jackson
                    Jack Williams
                    Patrick Lee
                    Charles Godfrey
                    Trae Williams

S
                    DaJuan Morgan
                    Jonathan Heffney
                    Craig Steltz
                    Jamar Adams
                    Quintin Demps
                    Marcus Griffin
                    Thomas DeCoud
                    Tommy Zbikowski
                    DJ Parker
                    Jamie Silva
                    Josh Barrett

K/P
                    Durant Brooks (P)

I'd rate the DE class as below average. Definitely not deep. Most of the guys I listed are probably 3-4 OLBs. Tommy Blake is the sleeper if he can get his life straightened out. If not, Cliff Avril.

DT is pretty lackluster as well. Though, if you buy into alot of the D-line hype, it could be considered deep. I left quite a few guys off the list because I don't think they have elite talent (Fluellen, Pressley, Bryant) but they will go in this area of the draft. I also have Okam and Moore going in the late 2nd, but that could be wrong. I would put both guys on this list if they drop. Obviously, Okam would then be my sleeper. As it stands, I absolutely love the potential of the guys I listed. I would be thrilled with any of them. Laws, Guion, and Rubin could all sneak into the late 2nd though, so we'll see. I love the depth in the DT class into the 3rd round. After that...not at all. So it's a very very top heavy draft at DT.

The LB class is exceptional. There are going to be superstars drafted into the late 4th round, possibly 5th. I only listed the guys I think could be elite calibur. Some are pure MIKEs, some WILLs, some can play anywhere. There could also be a lot more LBs falling into this range, I could see Mayo and Highsmith falling to the early 3rd. Perhaps Beau Bell as well if his injury hampers him. I would love to get any of the guys listed. I think Moffitt is the biggest sleeper at MIKE. I like Dizon at WILL, especially in our scheme.

The secondary, especially at Safety, is as deep as I can remember. Talented CBs abound, especially elite nickel back types, but Safety is just amazing. All of the guys I listed have Pro Bowl capability and were extremely successful in college. You can get insane Safety talent into the 6th round this year as at least a few of these guys will fall due to the draft being so overly talented at the marquee positions. I love Demps. I love Silva. Both ballhawking Free Safeties. DeCoud should be a superstar at Strong Safety. The talent of Zbikowski is enticing as is Jamar Adams. I mean Holy Crap! This is easily the deepest Safety draft I've seen. There may or may not be that super blue chip prospect but there are a lot of excellent starters here.

And Durant Brooks as a Punter might be on our radar in the 4th round. He's as good as anyone as of late.

So, there you go. I listed the guys I think have elite calibur talent that should be available in the 3rd-4th round. I did not list all the players that are projected to be drafted there as I disagree with some analysis. And I'm sure there are some small school guys that will leap up after the Combine with intriguing talent and size/speed ratios.

Even barring any late comers, I think this is the deepest overall draft I've ever seen. I think RB, WR, and Safety are as deep as they've ever been, ever, and I think top notch talent will be available into the 5th round. I think CB, LB, OT, FB, OC, OG, and TE will have excellent depth with top notch talent available into the late 4th round, and I mean excellent, top ceiling talent. I think DT and QB should have extremely good talent available into the late 3rd before tailing off drastically. And I think DE has some good top level guys, but really dead ends around the mid-2nd round.

Mainly though, the influx of junior talent at RB and WR to ridiculous degrees really makes this draft. Those are the marquee positions, along with QB and LT, and really push down top players at other positions deeper into the draft.
                    Well, that's alot of names to be sure, but I have no idea if most of them can play or not

Good post, though...

I think the Rubin kid from Iowa St is on the rise, and I really like Tashard Choice; I can't wait to see him tomorrow...

The Demps kid is also a real sleeper at Safety, IMO.

I saw a Guard flash on the Rashard Mendenhall highlight films, #64, Martin O'Donnell...he had some very nice blocks, some of which looked similar to a zone-blocking scheme, but that is all I know of him. It will be interesting if he even gets Drafted, or if not, if he gets signed.

Colorado's OT Tyler Polumbus is a real good player with quick feet that fits the Broncos scheme, and could wind up in the 4th.

Comment

Working...
                    X