Andre Caldwell, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Caldwell, Anyone?

The more I see of this guy, the more I like him. At 6'0"-200, he is built very similarly to Rod Smith and Hines Ward.

I like the way he handles himself, and he catches everything in sight. He runs great routes, and you know with his experience in the spread at Florida, he will be at home in multiple receiver sets.

To me, Andre Caldwell looks like he will be moving up into the upper third part of the second round....right around where Denver will select, and I for one would not mind hearing his name getting called when they select at all.

To me, he just looks like a very solid Pro player that will play a long time in the NFL.

I think Caldwell, Royal, Thomas, Manningham, Bennett, Duecet are 2-3 round WRs who would help... I think if any last to the third... Shanny will make a move to nab one... Use a 4th & a 5th... It's possible?

I see DT/LB/RB being addressed in the first two rounds though...

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
      The more I see of this guy, the more I like him. At 6'0"-200, he is built very similarly to Rod Smith and Hines Ward.

I like the way he handles himself, and he catches everything in sight. He runs great routes, and you know with his experience in the spread at Florida, he will be at home in multiple receiver sets.

To me, Andre Caldwell looks like he will be moving up into the upper third part of the second round....right around where Denver will select, and I for one would not mind hearing his name getting called when they select at all.

To me, he just looks like a very solid Pro player that will play a long time in the NFL.
      Watched him at the SB practices, another good potential player, he's Reche Caldwell's brother.The depth at second round is getting very deep. I also am impressed with Jordy Nelson at the practices, same way. His stock is shooting upwards fast, alot of teams are interested. I'am also a Earl Bennett fan, just haven't seen much of him on the field. They are all very talented, The question would be, who would be the best fit?

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post

From what little I saw of him, he looks solid. I doubt the "WR's from Florida" stereotype bothers this coaching staff. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I do think any WR that we look at, has to have a special teams ability. Do you see that in him Mind?

Comment

Caldwell is good, but I have some concerns about him. One is his injury history (he's been quite injury-prone at UF). As mentioned he is Reche Caldwell's brother. Hopefully he's not as bad as him. Also, Florida WRs have a history of not doing well in the NFL. I know you can't knock a great player for the program he plays for, but you have to wonder what's in the water in Gainesville that makes their WRs (and QBs for that matter) busts in the NFL. The superstition has become a trend.

Comment

Originally posted by slick7 View Post
            From what little I saw of him, he looks solid. I doubt the "WR's from Florida" stereotype bothers this coaching staff. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I do think any WR that we look at, has to have a special teams ability. Do you see that in him Mind?
            Not as a kick returner...I just like Caldwell as a receiver. The Florida stigma was more attached to Steve Spurrier's receivers, IMO, and I don't think it applys to Caldwell.

I will still need to see how Andre Caldwell runs at the combine, but if he runs in the 4.5 range or faster, he will be a solid second rounder.

As far as returners, it will be interesting to see who returns kicks in the game. I am real interested in the Appalachian St kid, Dexter Jackson, for example, who at 5'9"-180 is built like a speedy third or fourth wideout that could be a good kick returner.

..and did anyone think that Georgioa Tech's RB Tashard Choice looked as good as I did. He looked like a Bronco-type back to me. I would not be suprised to see him be a very prominent player in the game.

Comment

Caldwell, yuck and you missed the Tashard Choice train led me months ago.

Comment

Florida receivers suffer in the transition to the NFL because:

a) they are used to having an athletic edge over most of their opponents

b) they are used to getting the ball in space, rather than having to fight coverage at the LOS

c) the offensive systems that benefit them so greatly in college don't translate to the NFL

This was true under Spurrier and, IMO, remains true under Meyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Warhawk View Post
                  Florida receivers suffer in the transition to the NFL because:

a) they are used to having an athletic edge over most of their opponents

b) they are used to getting the ball in space, rather than having to fight coverage at the LOS

c) the offensive systems that benefit them so greatly in college don't translate to the NFL

This was true under Spurrier and, IMO, remains true under Meyer.
                  I agree. I mean, Chad Jackson was the talk of the boards once upon a time, and he hasn't done jack, yet. Granted, the jury's still out on him.

Comment

I am starting to think that the Florida stigma still holds true.... as Chad Jackson sure hasn't done anything for the Pats either... I am not feeling bold enough to say it IS true however as he is only one player. But the way that Meyer runs that offense may hamper the Wideouts learning a route tree... just as Spurriers did... it is that same reason that leads me to beleive that the Alex Smith will be a bust. The system isn't even close to a pro scheme.

That is just my thoughts right now though... if Caldwell proves me wrong I will admit it.
                    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                      I agree. I mean, Chad Jackson was the talk of the boards once upon a time, and he hasn't done jack, yet. Granted, the jury's still out on him.
                      Read through the NE website, in regards to their fans responses. The biggest problem Chad Jackson has, is learning the playbook plus some injury issues. Guess Bill will not tolerate someone who can't understand the playbook. They say he does have the talent, just a matter of him developing.

Comment

No thanks......

I wouldn't draft anybody from that BS offense......

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
                          Caldwell, yuck and you missed the Tashard Choice train led me months ago.
                          Who do you like better as a prospective second round wideout? I thought Caldwell was awfully polished in his routes.

Yeah, I had never heard of Choice before today, although I watched exactly zero G Tech games this year.

But that kid was impressive today, he ran that long pitchout Portis and TD used to run for a touchdown on seven on seven drills. I have to imagine he is on the rise and may get drafted on Day One. He also looked like a good receiver and they commented that he was a vewry 'mature' player.
                          Last edited by MindField; 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                            I wouldn't draft anybody from that BS offense......
                            In all fairness to Caldwell, he was a Zook recruit, even though his brother went there, and he did not play for Spurrier. He had no choice in playing in Meyer's Offense. I think the fact he adapted so well is a positive.

I think Caldwell is a solid No. 2 type with decent size/speed, and he has discipline in his route running and very good hands.

He looks like a second round pick, and I think he is clearly better than his brother, who, say what you will, has carved out a career in the NFL for several years now.

Comment

It depends on what receivers YOU think will be available then. I may think differently.

Choice would be an excellent fit here. I think we can get in in three, perhaps with our earliest four, which will be in the top 110 picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X