X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    If you watched the Wolverines and read Long's press clippings, you'd swear Long was wearing #52 not #77.

That's just my opinion, I'm just some dude on the internet, but I thought Long was a bit overrated at this time last year. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong......
    I'm not accusing you of being wrong in your evaluation of Long. I don't claim to know enough to do that. But, Kiper and other top draftniks tend to get most of the top 10 picks right. That's because the very top of the draft tends to be obvious. Teams are focusing on all the same elite players. They stand out, especially the OTs and DL.

Sometimes a player will fall, and it's happened a lot with QBs in recent years (ex: Brady Quinn falling all the way to #22). Then sometimes a Miami will come along and astonish everybody by drafting Ted Ginn at #9. But, screw-ups like that are not all that common. Notice that the Miami coach and GM are not coming back this year. There's not a lot of incentive to do something totally unexpected when dealing with a top 10 draft pick when it might cost you your job.

So, if Kiper has Long rated in the top 5 then I'd bet he'll go in the top 10, barring trades where teams don't want an OL. That could still happen, but it's not the way to bet.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    Seeing as how Mel Kiper has Jake Long 3rd on his big board it's difficult to see how he falls to #12.

The top 10 tend to be consensus picks, the ones everybody would make. It's tough to get those very far wrong, so I'd say Long is gone in the top 5 at least.

Historically, the top OT in the draft has invariably been a top 5 pick.
    If you watched the Wolverines and read Long's press clippings, you'd swear Long was wearing #52 not #77.

That's just my opinion, I'm just some dude on the internet, but I thought Long was a bit overrated at this time last year. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong......

Leave a comment:

• elevation INC
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField View Post
    I could not disagree more.

Really, I think it's as easy as comparing our Defense when we had a healthy Al Wilson, vs the Defense we had after he got injured in '06, and the one we had last year with DJ Williams. Williams' absolute lack of leadership skills, his lack of recognition, and his inability to diagnose was glaring to me.

I thought Webster was the best LB we had and did an admirable job at playing a position he was not well-suited for. Considering what we have as potential starters, we would be better off having Winborn and Webster moved back inside to battle it out, with Williams moved back to strongside where he has done his best work to date. That would leave us to find a weakside OLB to take Gold's place.

But considering that this is a pathetic Draft for LB's, it will have to come through Free Agency if at all, because there is not a Day One LB worth drafting that will amount to anything more than a serviceable starter (Connor), because there is not a future Pro Bowler among them.

Of course, considering Shanahan's history (he took Williams in a terrible draft for LB's), that's probably what we will draft.

those are some bold statements about the draft crop of Lb's. anyway its your opinion and your entitled.....

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    *I've* always believed DJ Williams was strictly a MIKE, so I was excited to see him moved there last season. And I was very excited with his play and he should only get better. So, I would argue he finally was used in his natural position. I would be very disturbed to see us move him to WILL, where I don't think he fits whatsoever.

I really liked Webster at SAM. I was very skeptical at first, but I thought he played very well there. His natural position is MIKE as well, so I found it very telling that when Ian got hurt, they didn't move DJ to WILL and Nate to MIKE. Remember that by that point, Coyer's scheme was scrapped and they were running Slowik's version of things. I see no reason why that would change now.

I freely admit that Gold has limitations at WILL, specifically with tackling bigger players. But, with two very strong tacklers at MIKE and SAM, as well as playing Lynch up in the box, I think Gold's coverage versatility trumps his shortcomings in tackling. And I still think he tackles at worst, average. But he does miss a few, and unfortunately, they are usually very obvious. His play in zone coverage is less so.

At Defensive Tackle, I made the pre-season prediction that Alvin McKinley was the best DT on our roster. I've always liked him at Cleveland, so that was kind of a homer prediction, but it turned out to be true, debateable at worst. I don't think anyone wanted Marcus Thomas to start since he had basically missed a full year of football and was a rookie. He was more of an exciting pick for the future. The fact that we cut/traded our Top 4 DTs (depth chart wise) in the first few weeks was mind-blowing. And that's the reason our season tanked.

Everything starts up front in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our D-line was completely ineffective against the Run, and lackluster in pass rushing. The LBs have to read their keys, and with pulling OGs, FBs, and TEs (because our D-line did not require double teams) they had to fight through trash just to attempt to make a play.

I really think that our defense will improve dramatically just as a matter of course this season. All the rookies will be much better due to experience and a year of strength training at the professional level. I think all we need are either NT's to try and clog inside, or else penetrating 3-techiques to try and be a high pressure defense. We need 2 of either, and one of which must be a veteran to start now.

But to answer your post, I think our LBs are a team strength. I think our secondary is a team strength. But we need to fix the D-line to see that talent shine. I really believe, just like Baltimore, we are only an elite DT away from being a Top 10 Defense again. Hopefully we can draft/sign one that can be instantly as effective as Ngata was. The lack of a scheme and the lack of either an elite Nose Tackle or an Elite 3-technique is why I believe our defense faltered last season. Having two Quasi-Nose Tackles starting side by side, one of which was a raw rookie, is like leaving the portcullis up when someone is raiding your castle.
    I could not disagree more.

Really, I think it's as easy as comparing our Defense when we had a healthy Al Wilson, vs the Defense we had after he got injured in '06, and the one we had last year with DJ Williams. Williams' absolute lack of leadership skills, his lack of recognition, and his inability to diagnose was glaring to me.

I thought Webster was the best LB we had and did an admirable job at playing a position he was not well-suited for. Considering what we have as potential starters, we would be better off having Winborn and Webster moved back inside to battle it out, with Williams moved back to strongside where he has done his best work to date. That would leave us to find a weakside OLB to take Gold's place.

But considering that this is a pathetic Draft for LB's, it will have to come through Free Agency if at all, because there is not a Day One LB worth drafting that will amount to anything more than a serviceable starter (Connor), because there is not a future Pro Bowler among them.

Of course, considering Shanahan's history (he took Williams in a terrible draft for LB's), that's probably what we will draft.
    Last edited by MindField; 01-29-2008, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    IN all honesty Dream, if people are telling you "just you wait" that to me sounds like the Broncos are trying to trade down and pick up a 3rd round pick. That would make a lot of sense if they can find a partner.
    From my experience over the past two years getting some good information, I'd say it has more to do with the fact that the talk isn't going on because:

A) It's very early, and the evaluation process isn't even close to being done and;

B) That free agency hasn't even happened.

I'm in agreement that they are going to trade down, but people shouldn't expect any rumors or anything yet. Most of the things people are talking about are made by board posters and not nearly the truth.

Like I said in the article; the Broncos will evaluate their options, look at their board and make a decision from there.

No move will be done prior to April 19th; that's a given.

Leave a comment:

• JoRo
    replied
    I think Talib is going to fall a lil bit farther than 12. I may be wrong but he really doesn't seem to have the recovery speed and seeing how he is mainly a bump and run typa corner he fits right now into cover 2 schemes best... schemes that often times don't use a 1st on corners... Not sure, but I have seen a 1st-2nd round grade on him right now..

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by Dream View Post
    That's an interesting question and I really haven't thought about it until you mentioned it.

Essentially, as you know we have Erik Pears and Ryan Harris at tackle on our roster.

Pears is not a right tackle in the NFL. He plays way too high, doesn't have great technique and shows no power on that side of the line. At the very best, he's a serviceable left tackle, but he is not the kind of player you want protecting a guy like Cutler full time. He was beat a lot off the edge last year at right tackle, so putting him at LT would be even more of a concern.

The Broncos coaches (from what insider people have said and reporters) really like Ryan Harris, as they should. He's the prototype for a Broncos offensive lineman, has the ability to play either tackle spots or guard - and has good footwork, but needs some technique help. He sat this year to hopefully improve all that, and I guess we'll see in camp.

The thing is, Williams is by far more talented than Harris or Pears. I seriously wouldn't know if Williams would start - but it shouldn't be that hard to beat out Harris or Pears. If the Broncos invest a high pick in him, I'd hope they'd give him a chance to start and break that "you sit for one year" deal.

What makes this year different is that Harris has no real experience starting in the NFL, and Pears pretty much sucks. I think Harris can be a quality NFL left tackle, but I think he could be a great guard, and probably a good right tackle. We haven't seen him play, so there are just a lot of questionmarks.

In all honesty, OT in the first round is probably wishful thinking. Shanahan seemed to be pleased with Pears, and they are high on Harris. However, I had it on good word a few moths ago that Baker and Clady were two guys they were interested in, and that they were looking at offensive tackles hard.

I don't know if it'll be a first-round pick, but I expect the Broncos to find a tackle somewhere. They have to. If they don't do it in FA; you know they're going to do it in the draft because there's no way in Hell you go into camp with two OT's, and a guy who can play OT (Kuper) in a pinch on your roster. There's just no way.

Harris was a first-round talent after his junior year, but slipped his senior year. I am fairly confident Denver slapped a second round grade on the guy and felt lucky they could get him at #70 back in 2007. He has great potential, but it remains to be seen. Denver's going to have to add a guy somewhere, at least they should. Then again, they've been known to overlook positions and let them suffer. (Safety this past year is one of them, defensive line for about three years prior as well.)

Until the rumors start flying and the combine happens, you won't hear good information. Believe me, I ask the select people I've gotten to know over the past few years and they keep saying, "just wait." The one thing that seems to be known right now is that the Broncos want more picks, and that's a good thing.

We'll see what they do in FA; we'll hear some combine tidbits and then we'll know.

I'm sorry if my answer was ambiguous, but I can't really say. If we drafted Williams and he showed the ability to start right away, HE SHOULD START. Throw Harris in at a guard spot or RT (pending on who comes back, say Hamilton doesn't) and let the youth get experience.

Those guys are way more talented than Pears is. Pears just SUCKS.
    IN all honesty Dream, if people are telling you "just you wait" that to me sounds like the Broncos are trying to trade down and pick up a 3rd round pick. That would make a lot of sense if they can find a partner.

Somebody who desperately wants a LT could be interested in the #12 spot, because that's where the value seems to be right now, unless somebody unexpectedly falls out of the top 10.

But, as of now, you have a lot of choices at #12, they just don't happen to be a positions the Broncos need:

RB - outside of Darren McFadden, you've got everybody probably still on the board: Jonathan Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, Felix Jones. There's a possibility for somebody who wants a RB.

S - Kenny Phillips seems to be falling, so that's not any incentive.

DT - After Dorsey and Ellis are gone in the top 5, not much value, which is a big reason the Broncos want to trade down. Nobody is going up to #12 to get Kentwan Balmer. No incentive there for a trade.

DE - Vernon Gholston & Phillip Merling could both be available & Calais Campbell.

QB - Matt Ryan figures to be gone and there's nobody else likely in the 1st round, but then QBs have tended to be surprise sliders in the last few years. If so, that's a huge incentive for a team to want to trade up. But, he'd have to be on the board at #11 for this to happen. If it did, Shanahan's phone would melt down.

OT - Probably the best reason for a team to want to trade up. After Jake Long, some team could want Ryan Clady or Chris Williams. If the Broncos don't and either or both were available there should be some trade interest, depending on what other teams' needs are. But, it's hard to see elite LT prospects falling much farther than #12-15, so this is a chance for the Broncos to deal.

CB - Acquib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Mike Kelvin - any or all could be there. If Talib slides to #12 that would be another huge incentive for teams looking for CB help to trade up without paying too much compensation.

Overall, it would have to be the right circumstances if the Broncos expect to get any value from trading down out of their pick. It's not going to be as easy as just saying "here it is come and get it!"
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slick7
    replied
    Basically I'm just tagging this thread for the breakdowns and comments from the posters I enjoy reading here.

I already have "The Beat" on my bookmarks on Firefox.

Thanks for everyones input, Dream, MUG, Cugel, Mindfield, JoRo, Max, Stnzed(others I'm sure I'm forgetting). You guys bring a great insight to a gringo living in Mexico.

Sucking up over.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Well, it's funny how those same 'experts' that praised our LB's (which just proves they have always been over-rated) now say that our LB's need to be replaced (in the case of Gold), or change positons (in the case of Williams).

The truth is, all you need to know about Williams is that he has no true position, as evidenced by the fact he is likely to be moved yet again (the fourth time in his five year career) back to the weakside, and Gold is likely to be playing elsewhere next year...and what about the pairing of Marcus Thomas and Alvin McKinely at DT for the last 3rd of the season, which I believe you advocated? What was it then? Poor DT play, poor LB play, or more likely, a combination of both.

God help the Broncos if these two stiffs remain at LB for the Broncos next year, because they are part of the problem, not the solution. Your insistance on some sort of fantasy about their play does not make it so.
    *I've* always believed DJ Williams was strictly a MIKE, so I was excited to see him moved there last season. And I was very excited with his play and he should only get better. So, I would argue he finally was used in his natural position. I would be very disturbed to see us move him to WILL, where I don't think he fits whatsoever.

I really liked Webster at SAM. I was very skeptical at first, but I thought he played very well there. His natural position is MIKE as well, so I found it very telling that when Ian got hurt, they didn't move DJ to WILL and Nate to MIKE. Remember that by that point, Coyer's scheme was scrapped and they were running Slowik's version of things. I see no reason why that would change now.

I freely admit that Gold has limitations at WILL, specifically with tackling bigger players. But, with two very strong tacklers at MIKE and SAM, as well as playing Lynch up in the box, I think Gold's coverage versatility trumps his shortcomings in tackling. And I still think he tackles at worst, average. But he does miss a few, and unfortunately, they are usually very obvious. His play in zone coverage is less so.

At Defensive Tackle, I made the pre-season prediction that Alvin McKinley was the best DT on our roster. I've always liked him at Cleveland, so that was kind of a homer prediction, but it turned out to be true, debateable at worst. I don't think anyone wanted Marcus Thomas to start since he had basically missed a full year of football and was a rookie. He was more of an exciting pick for the future. The fact that we cut/traded our Top 4 DTs (depth chart wise) in the first few weeks was mind-blowing. And that's the reason our season tanked.

Everything starts up front in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our D-line was completely ineffective against the Run, and lackluster in pass rushing. The LBs have to read their keys, and with pulling OGs, FBs, and TEs (because our D-line did not require double teams) they had to fight through trash just to attempt to make a play.

I really think that our defense will improve dramatically just as a matter of course this season. All the rookies will be much better due to experience and a year of strength training at the professional level. I think all we need are either NT's to try and clog inside, or else penetrating 3-techiques to try and be a high pressure defense. We need 2 of either, and one of which must be a veteran to start now.

But to answer your post, I think our LBs are a team strength. I think our secondary is a team strength. But we need to fix the D-line to see that talent shine. I really believe, just like Baltimore, we are only an elite DT away from being a Top 10 Defense again. Hopefully we can draft/sign one that can be instantly as effective as Ngata was. The lack of a scheme and the lack of either an elite Nose Tackle or an Elite 3-technique is why I believe our defense faltered last season. Having two Quasi-Nose Tackles starting side by side, one of which was a raw rookie, is like leaving the portcullis up when someone is raiding your castle.
    Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    A mere two seasons ago, our LBs were considered one of the best trio's ever assembled. The NFL Network and ESPN did piece after piece on how our overall defense might be one of the best in NFL history. We crashed and burned after about 9 games, but for the start of that season, we were Godly.

I will also offer you the Baltimore Ravens. With Adalius Thomas, Bart Scott, and Ray Lewis, they were arguably one of the top LB trio's in history as well. But when they lost all their D-linemen, the Ravens top notch D was run over. The next year, they draft Haloti Ngata and add more depth to the D-line, and the LB play becomes elite again.

I will ask that you please know what the hell you are talking about before you aggressively criticize my opinions. Ian Gold *won* us the Pittsburgh game this season when he knocked Rothlisburger's pass into the air when they were driving late and DJ Williams snagged it. Ian Gold cemented the Tennessee game when he picked up an errant pass late in the game. DJ Williams was one of the most productive LBs in the NFL all season. Nate Webster put up 100 tackles from SAM, which is practically unheard of.

The problem was we had a defensive line full of undersized players and rookies. We had no scheme at all. The scheme the team worked on all offseason was scrapped after 5 games. We had nothing.

So, yeah, based on history, and hard evidence, and my own eyes, and my own football knowledge, I'll blame the damn scheme and rookies over our elite LBs, which still played extremely well. Baltimore did the same thing and returned to glory the next year, and all they did was draft a guargantuan NT. They didn't fire their LBs.
    Well, it's funny how those same 'experts' that praised our LB's (which just proves they have always been over-rated) now say that our LB's need to be replaced (in the case of Gold), or change positons (in the case of Williams).

The truth is, all you need to know about Williams is that he has no true position, as evidenced by the fact he is likely to be moved yet again (the fourth time in his five year career) back to the weakside, and Gold is likely to be playing elsewhere next year...and what about the pairing of Marcus Thomas and Alvin McKinely at DT for the last 3rd of the season, which I believe you advocated? What was it then? Poor DT play, poor LB play, or more likely, a combination of both.

God help the Broncos if these two stiffs remain at LB for the Broncos next year, because they are part of the problem, not the solution. Your insistance on some sort of fantasy about their play does not make it so.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Dude, I have never seen someone so insistant on praising a group, such as our LB's, for playing well, that actually never do anything.

Go ahead, name a play....a forced fumble, a pick, a sack...anything that DJ Williams or Ian Gold did to earn their keep as starters this last year....instead, you take the easy way out and simply blame the DT's and the scheme....well the scheme was only in place for one year, and the Broncos changed their DT's more than some people change their socks...and what about the other years under Coyer? They never produced squat then either.

Frankly, that's why it's sometimes hard to take you seriously, because you never seem to be able to admit when you are wrong, and continue to manipulate stats and spin their results as favorable. Perhaps it's a good thing you are in Law school, and you can use that education for politics, because your take on Williams/Gold is spin control at it's finest.

Ian Gold and DJ Williams CANNOT be absolved of the Defensive struggles. It is absolutely impossible. You can't be 26th or whatever against the run, and have great LB play. That just does not happen.

Our LB's are part of the overall problem. The fact that they get a free pass from so many is an absolute joke.

A mere two seasons ago, our LBs were considered one of the best trio's ever assembled. The NFL Network and ESPN did piece after piece on how our overall defense might be one of the best in NFL history. We crashed and burned after about 9 games, but for the start of that season, we were Godly.

I will also offer you the Baltimore Ravens. With Adalius Thomas, Bart Scott, and Ray Lewis, they were arguably one of the top LB trio's in history as well. But when they lost all their D-linemen, the Ravens top notch D was run over. The next year, they draft Haloti Ngata and add more depth to the D-line, and the LB play becomes elite again.

I will ask that you please know what the hell you are talking about before you aggressively criticize my opinions. Ian Gold *won* us the Pittsburgh game this season when he knocked Rothlisburger's pass into the air when they were driving late and DJ Williams snagged it. Ian Gold cemented the Tennessee game when he picked up an errant pass late in the game. DJ Williams was one of the most productive LBs in the NFL all season. Nate Webster put up 100 tackles from SAM, which is practically unheard of.

The problem was we had a defensive line full of undersized players and rookies. We had no scheme at all. The scheme the team worked on all offseason was scrapped after 5 games. We had nothing.

So, yeah, based on history, and hard evidence, and my own eyes, and my own football knowledge, I'll blame the damn scheme and rookies over our elite LBs, which still played extremely well. Baltimore did the same thing and returned to glory the next year, and all they did was draft a guargantuan NT. They didn't fire their LBs.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    It was a well written update and I agree with a vast majority of it. It was a very good read, but here are my critiques (opinions):

1) I think Ian Gold played well this season. He's a VERY good blitzer when allowed to blitz. I think he fits what Slowik wants to do and will be our starter this season. Infact, I think all our LBs played pretty well. I put everything on the defensive line (rookies) and ineffective scheme. I'm not sure of the situation with Warrick Holdman, but with Webster and Winborn under contract, I think we are solid at both SAM and MIKE in terms of starters and depth. I think if we do go after a LB in Free Agency or the draft, it will be the typical undersized WILL LB and probably later in the draft, though if Adibi or Highsmith are available at our 2nd round choice, that might be too good of value to pass up. I do expect Highsmith to still be there.

2) I think Chris Williams is going to be drafted by the Bears or Lions at #14 or #15 Overall. Both teams' primary need is at OT, and both teams really need a LT and RT. Both need a RT to start immediately and a LT to groom for aging starters. The Bears prefer medium O-linemen, such as Williams, the Lions seem to have a preference for size, such as Otah. And with Alex Gibbs just being hired by Houston, and their lack of a LT, they'll almost certainly be looking in that direction at 18th Overall, specifically Williams or Sam Baker.

3) I still maintain that Wheeler is a pure MIKE in the NFL. I think he'll actually be an ILB in the 3-4 defense. He's the prototypical size, along with Beau Bell, that Bill Parcels will be looking to draft. It's also worth noting the 49ers and Jets both need starting ILBs this season to pair with Harris and Willis. Point being, I will not be surprised if Wheeler is gone before we even pick at the top of the 2nd, though I don't currently expect that. I also don't believe in moving DJ Williams to WILL, and with the aforementioned depth we have at MIKE and SAM, I don't really see a need for Wheeler with so many other more glaring needs.

4) Obviously I would love an Okam selection, but I don't think he fits into our defensive scheme. I wish he did. I also don't believe Marcus Thomas can play the 3 in our likely new scheme. I think Thomas is the Nose along with McKinley. I believe we need to find a pair of penetrating 3 techniques this offseason. Corey Williams would be one. Someone like Trevor Laws would be another though I think we'd have to spend a 2nd rounder on him now. I think Derek Lokey, Okam's partner at Texas, could be a very viable fifth round selection for us. Also, I still think Okam goes before the 4th round, specifically late 2nd or the 3rd. But I am a bit bias there as I think very highly of him.

5) At this point, I don't think Matt Forte or Tashard Choice get out of the early 3rd round. Infact, I'd almost go so far as to guarantee that. It's even possible that one or both could go in the early/mid 2nd. Obviously, they are behind McFadden, Stewart, Jones, and Mendenhall, whom all should be 1st rounders. But Forte and Choice could be the next two backs off the board. The teams that value speed over inside running will likely rank Jamaal Charles next but he's very raw. Chris Johnson refuses to run between the tackles and, and along with Steve Slaton, is some form of a quasi-RB to be used like Reggie Bush. And I think both Forte, and especially Choice, are much better then Ray Rice and Mike Hart.

6) Chevis Jackson is a high/mid 2nd round pick for a Cover 2 defense, of which there are many. I personally have him going to the Bills at the top of the 2nd. Perhaps that's a bit high, but he's not going to be available in the 4th round, he'll go in the 2nd. He's just too good and his speed can be masked in a Cover 2.

Overall though, you demonstrate a very sound mastery of the Denver needs and talent evaluation as usual. I doubt I could have written such an excellent article and summary. So, I invested some time into making a detailed response here with my thoughts. I'm pretty confident with my listed opinions above, though I could certainly see and understand the rebuttal against Ian Gold and our other LBs. So, very confident in points 2-6, less so with point 1, but I still believe it.
    Dude, I have never seen someone so insistant on praising a group, such as our LB's, for playing well, that actually never do anything.

Go ahead, name a play....a forced fumble, a pick, a sack...anything that DJ Williams or Ian Gold did to earn their keep as starters this last year....instead, you take the easy way out and simply blame the DT's and the scheme....well the scheme was only in place for one year, and the Broncos changed their DT's more than some people change their socks...and what about the other years under Coyer? They never produced squat then either.

Frankly, that's why it's sometimes hard to take you seriously, because you never seem to be able to admit when you are wrong, and continue to manipulate stats and spin their results as favorable. Perhaps it's a good thing you are in Law school, and you can use that education for politics, because your take on Williams/Gold is spin control at it's finest.

Ian Gold and DJ Williams CANNOT be absolved of the Defensive struggles. It is absolutely impossible. You can't be 26th or whatever against the run, and have great LB play. That just does not happen.

Our LB's are part of the overall problem. The fact that they get a free pass from so many is an absolute joke.
    Last edited by MindField; 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Seeing as how Mel Kiper has Jake Long 3rd on his big board it's difficult to see how he falls to #12.

The top 10 tend to be consensus picks, the ones everybody would make. It's tough to get those very far wrong, so I'd say Long is gone in the top 5 at least.

Historically, the top OT in the draft has invariably been a top 5 pick.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by Max Power View Post
    Reggie Smith wouldn't be bad. He has experience at both safety and corner. If we draft him, he would probably play safety, specifically FS. Actually, in terms of coverage, he is probably the best safety in the draft. I've seen him stick to Limas Sweed downfield and jump high in the air for the INT. The icing on the cake is the fact he was an explosive punt returner too.

As you can see by this youtube video, he covers a lot of ground and can hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjZU...eature=related

He's a good player for sure, but I think his future will be as a Cover-2 CB in the NFL. He and Aqib Talib are very similar players. I keep bouncing the two of them between Buffalo at Pick 11 and Detroit at Pick 15. Speed will be the key factor though and I don't have speed numbers on either. But, if I had to guess, I think Smith will be faster and will go to the Bills at 11th Overall.

Leave a comment:

• Max Power
    replied
    Originally posted by Dream View Post
    If we stay at twelve and don't go offensive tackle:

Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall could be options. Kenny Phillips obviously. Keith Rivers as well. DeSean Jackson and Malcom Kelly are the other two.

My darkhorse is Reggie Smith. I don't know, but he just screams "Broncos pick." for some reason.
    Reggie Smith wouldn't be bad. He has experience at both safety and corner. If we draft him, he would probably play safety, specifically FS. Actually, in terms of coverage, he is probably the best safety in the draft. I've seen him stick to Limas Sweed downfield and jump high in the air for the INT. The icing on the cake is the fact he was an explosive punt returner too.

As you can see by this youtube video, he covers a lot of ground and can hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjZU...eature=related

Leave a comment:

Working...
X