No announcement yet.

move walker and bell for a draft pick ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• move walker and bell for a draft pick ?

Since javon walker is unhappy and wants out,why not trade him and mike Bell for a 4th or 5th round pick, walker is damaged goods i don't think we will get anything higher than a 4th. Mike Bell got into shanhan's DOG HOUSE, after he was moved to fb, WE HAVE TO KEEP STOCKPILING THOSE DRAFT PICKS, i would be in favor of moving those two guys even if it meant a MID ROUND PICK IN '09. what does everythone think about this idea?

Mike Bell is worth maybe a seventh round pick. Maybe

He just hasn't made enough of an impression to the league to be worth anything.
    Welcome to the team 2010 draft picks

Comment

Bell and Waalker

Originally posted by boxcar View Post
      Mike Bell is worth maybe a seventh round pick. Maybe

He just hasn't made enough of an impression to the league to be worth anything.
      Mike Bell was, late in '06, our best and most dependable rb i like how hard he ran and played his tail off. why shanahan moved him to fb is beyond me.He sure did not see the field much this yr, Package him and walker for a 5th or 6th in '09 might be a good move.

Comment

His lack of playing time this year combined with the fact we churn out runners that have little success this year are what hurts Bell.

As a package deal for the two a conditional pick in 09 would be great. Although I am not sure if you can package two players for a conditional pick.
        If any one knows for sure that would be great.
        Welcome to the team 2010 draft picks

Comment

I'm surprised no one else has said this... I think there is a very real possibility of adding to the trade value. Mike did good work for us last here, playing like he did last year a lot of teams would take a chance on him. I was always a big fan of mike, and was pretty sad to see so little of him this year... In my opinion he would be able to bang with a lot of #2's among the league... So I guess it's possible to work on a trade and then picking up a better fullback, hopefully good in the late rounds of the draft.
          Last edited by Zealander; 01-28-2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

We would be crazy to let Javon Walker go for a 5th or 6th round draft pick. It wasn't that long ago that we traded a 2nd round pick for him.

Comment

Realistically, if you want the best compensation for these guys - it is going to be a 2009 pick for different reasons.

Mike Bell - the best you can hope for is to be able to trade him during preseason to a team that comes up with an injury to a starter or #1 backup. Even then, I don't think he'll have great trade value, but right now I can't see any team trading for him with free agency and the draft coming up.

Javon Walker - I can't see any team taking the chance on this guy and taking on his contract. There are two problems here. 1) The obvious - his injury and his desire to get out of Denver. 2) His contract. If I understand correctly, this will be a HUGE stumbling block. He's due a roster bonus in March, so any trade would have to occur prior to that bonus payout. The Broncos will not pay him the $5M and then try to trade him. But, from the other side, no team is going to want to take on that contract and be responsible for paying the $5M (not to mention giving up a draft pick) to a player with his questionable injury status. Javon won't restructure to do the Broncos any favors (i.e. to give them more time to trade him). If Javon can't force a team to pay the $5M, he'd want to be released so he can choose the team he plays for. So, ultimately, the only way I can see the Broncos trading Javon is for a conditional 2009 pick and likely to a team that Javon would be willing to restructure his contract with. There are just too many hurdles to overcome, in my mind, to see Javon traded vs. released. In fact, I tend to believe a reconcilliation with the Broncos is more likely than him being traded. So, it's one of two things: he'll be playing in Denver next year or the Broncos will end up releasing him.

Comment

Mike Bell right now could probably fetch a 7th rounder from a team who mistimes the draft and needs RB depth. He was moved to FB because of his ball insecurity and the fact that he was too inconsistent.

Javon Walker right now, should fetch a 4th. He is younger than Randy Moss, but has an injury history, however his will to play has never been questioned. If he is to be traded he has to sign a new deal.

I think our best trade bait is Dominique Foxworth, he will be RFA, so we can slap a 1st round offer on him. I think he could fetch as much as a 3rd round pick, or could be used in a 3-team trade to acquire a good veteran player. Paymah stepped up at the end of last season and Foxworths size means he will never be a primary safety. I think he wants a shot at starting and unless Bly or Bailey is traded this year he will want out.

Comment

Best bet would be to keep Walker this year, contract hurts but the man wants to play and produce. Not everybody is going to be a A+ mood all the time. He stated he would play next year if they can work things out and I would be all for that. I am all for picks but at the same time, Javon with the right rehab can still be a quality reciver vs a 5th or 6th round project? I know everybody says we have the Brandons but Shany wants Stoke in the slot and both Brandons to not have to play as many reps as last year to try and stay freasher. Stoke/Javon opposite Marshall, thmbs up for that!

Bell on the other hand is someone that could bring in a 6th or 7th but it depends on the situation. Rookie running backs are looking better and better in the NFL which probably makes it more difficult to deal Bell for anything in return. Teams will look at him if he is released. IMO
                  Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
                  GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
                  #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
                  #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
                  #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
                  #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
                  Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

first off, why would anyone give a 7th round draft pick for an undrafted free agent running back when they can wait til he gets cut or sign any number of undrafted free agent running backs from this years draft.

I don't see anyone giving up a third round draft for foxworth. I'm a homer and all but i don't think you could trade foxy for a fifth round pick on madden let alone in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
                      Realistically, if you want the best compensation for these guys - it is going to be a 2009 pick for different reasons.

Mike Bell - the best you can hope for is to be able to trade him during preseason to a team that comes up with an injury to a starter or #1 backup. Even then, I don't think he'll have great trade value, but right now I can't see any team trading for him with free agency and the draft coming up.

Javon Walker - I can't see any team taking the chance on this guy and taking on his contract. There are two problems here. 1) The obvious - his injury and his desire to get out of Denver. 2) His contract. If I understand correctly, this will be a HUGE stumbling block. He's due a roster bonus in March, so any trade would have to occur prior to that bonus payout. The Broncos will not pay him the $5M and then try to trade him. But, from the other side, no team is going to want to take on that contract and be responsible for paying the $5M (not to mention giving up a draft pick) to a player with his questionable injury status. Javon won't restructure to do the Broncos any favors (i.e. to give them more time to trade him). If Javon can't force a team to pay the $5M, he'd want to be released so he can choose the team he plays for. So, ultimately, the only way I can see the Broncos trading Javon is for a conditional 2009 pick and likely to a team that Javon would be willing to restructure his contract with. There are just too many hurdles to overcome, in my mind, to see Javon traded vs. released. In fact, I tend to believe a reconcilliation with the Broncos is more likely than him being traded. So, it's one of two things: he'll be playing in Denver next year or the Broncos will end up releasing him.
                      That's essentially correct. Either the Broncos swallow Javon's salary and keep him (unlikely) or they release him/trade him. And yes, any trade would have to happen before the March deadline. Once the Broncos decline to pay his roster bonus, he's cut.

But, other teams know that too, and so they will wait and see what happens with Javon. Why pay anything for him now, if you think that the Broncos will have to cut him anyway in about 1 month from now? Makes no sense.

They'll wait and see what offers he gets as a FA and determine whether he's healthy enough to play. Then they might make him an offer as a FA and not have to give the Broncos anything.
                      sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately Mike Bell has zero value. There's a reason he didn't play this year...we may not know that reason but it exists. Maybe we could fool the Redskins into trading him for a 7th round pick haha.
                        sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos724 View Post
                          Unfortunately Mike Bell has zero value. There's a reason he didn't play this year...we may not know that reason but it exists. Maybe we could fool the Redskins into trading him for a 7th round pick haha.
                          If Im not mistakin, I beleive Mike Bell was dealing with concusion issues. I remember reading about it earlier in the year or it may have been an interview.

Comment

Working...
                          X