• Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall

Stewart - 5'11" 230 lbs.
    Mendenhall - 5'11" 224 lbs.

2007 Season Statistics
    Stewart - 280 ATT, 1722 YDS, 6.2 AVG, 11 TD
    Mendenhall - 262 ATT, 1681 YDS, 6.4 AVG, 17 TD

Both players had two receiving TDs as well.

Stewart looks a little bit more compact and bulky, Mendenhall a little more lean (I realize that they're listed at the same height). I think Stewart is better at moving the pile and gaining yards after contact. Both backs show exceptional burst and acceleration with enough speed to outrun defenders to the endzone. Mendenhall shows the ability to make defenders miss in the open field with cuts and jukes. Both backs do a good job of letting their blocks develop and hitting the hole fast and hard. As for drawbacks, they are hard to come by. For Mendenhall, my big complaint is that he does not break away from the first tackler very often, and does not generally gain many yards after contact. As for Stewart, the only nitpicky thing I could dig up is that he was bothered by an ankle injury his freshman and sophomore seasons, which potentially raises questions about his long-term durability. However, carrying the ball 280 times as he did this season while staying healthy should negate that negative.

I'm gonna make it easy on y'all: who do you prefer and why? And please, no PAC-10 bashing. The conference was clearly superior to the Big 10 this season.
    Last edited by Max Power; 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM.

I'd rather see Stewart in a Denver uniform. I've seen the guy play many times in person, he's mean.

Comment

neither we could still get a great back through the 2nd and 3rd rds. use the first on DT, or OL and get tashard choice from Georgia tech in the 2nd. its cheaper in the end

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
        neither we could still get a great back through the 2nd and 3rd rds. use the first on DT, or OL and get tashard choice from Georgia tech in the 2nd. its cheaper in the end
        I understand but hypothetically speaking, if you were to draft either Mendenhall or Stewart, who would you choose?

I should have made this a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
          I understand but hypothetically speaking, if you were to draft either Mendenhall or Stewart, who would you choose?

I should have made this a poll.

tough call probally medenhall, because he has a little more power in interior running, and could open up our meager red-zone offense. also we have young and i dont think stewart combined with young would last to long, just my opinion though..........

Comment

you would so change your tune if Mendenhall and Stewart wouldnt have declared.

Choice Got Forced out of the 1st round slot due to these two as well as Jones.

So if safe to say that if Neither of the 3 Mid first round juniors werent there Choice would be a Mid round 1st.

Choice would be my last if not all Final Back to look at.

I rather have Stewart or Mendenhall in Bronco Orange and Blue over Choice. But I wouldn't be too upset if we Grab Choice, only if Mendenhall or Stewart are off the boards.
            McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I know we need DT, OLB, and T and safety and hell even a big mauling guard, but I think if we draft RB in the first, no matter who it is, I think its just making a statement. I mean sure Young had a great year this year for an undrafted rookie RB, but once we get a guy where there is some hype about him, it will take pressure off Cutler mentally, and just let the offense mold into something for the future. Ryan Harris, might end up being a solid sound LT, maybe not a marcus Mcneil or a Joe Thomas, but if we actually give the position that makes or breaks our team from a superbowl(HB), some actual quality players...we might just win. I mean if you go down the laudry list of running backs from denver post TD age, I guarantee the majority will say Clinton Portis. So why not draft a stud and put him in the best running back system in the NFL.
              New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                I know we need DT, OLB, and T and safety and hell even a big mauling guard, but I think if we draft RB in the first, no matter who it is, I think its just making a statement. I mean sure Young had a great year this year for an undrafted rookie RB, but once we get a guy where there is some hype about him, it will take pressure off Cutler mentally, and just let the offense mold into something for the future. Ryan Harris, might end up being a solid sound LT, maybe not a marcus Mcneil or a Joe Thomas, but if we actually give the position that makes or breaks our team from a superbowl(HB), some actual quality players...we might just win. I mean if you go down the laudry list of running backs from denver post TD age, I guarantee the majority will say Clinton Portis. So why not draft a stud and put him in the best running back system in the NFL.
                compelling argument, but are you familiar with the two RBs in discussion? If so, who do you prefer?

Comment

tough call probally medenhall, because he has a little more power in interior running, and could open up our meager red-zone offense. also we have young and i dont think stewart combined with young would last to long, just my opinion though..........
                  I'm not really seeing how Mendenhall is more powerful than Stewart inside, in fact, I think it's the other way around from the highlights I've seen.

Comment

My bad, I really do like both, but if I was going to draft 1 of the two with the number 12 pick....Mendenhall. This is where Shanahan finally redeems himself with his stupid reaches...George Foster, Willie Middlebrooks....and no I do not believe Lelie was that big of a reach.
                    New England Patriots GM

Comment

Without a doubt, it's Stewart.

I think you *have* to take into account that Shanahan likes Selvin Young and sees him as a big part of a rotation going forward. Stewart is a bowling ball with a complete game. He's the hammer that Mendenhall is not.

Comment

stewart times eleventy billion
                        sigpic
                        -------

Comment

Actually, Stewart's a tougher running inside, and Mendenhall is more of the explosive gamebreaker, dynamic RB.

Both would be good fits, IMHO, but we already have Young who's more of a gamebreaker, so I think Stewart could be the workhorse.

I think it's important for Denver to have to complimentary solid RB's. In the last 30 years, only 4 RB's have carried the ball more then 80% of the time in their offense, and 3 of those played with Indianapolis Colts and Manning with James(2x), and Faulk.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                            Actually, Stewart's a tougher running inside, and Mendenhall is more of the explosive gamebreaker, dynamic RB.

Both would be good fits, IMHO, but we already have Young who's more of a gamebreaker, so I think Stewart could be the workhorse.

I think it's important for Denver to have to complimentary solid RB's. In the last 30 years, only 4 RB's have carried the ball more then 80% of the time in their offense, and 3 of those played with Indianapolis Colts and Manning with James(2x), and Faulk.
                            Young? A gamebreaker? Not even. He's more of a change of pace back, he gets dinged up almost every game and has that one hit that throws his whole game off.

and Max Power, you should've made this thread into a poll.
                            lulz @ the Patriots

www.youtube.com/JayCutler4MVP

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
                            RIP DAMIEN NASH
                            RIP SEAN TAYLOR
                            RIP BFC
                            RIP Sneakers the Cat

Comment

Put me down for Mendenhall
                              Welcome to the team 2010 draft picks

Comment

Working...