Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Without a doubt, it's Stewart.

I think you *have* to take into account that Shanahan likes Selvin Young and sees him as a big part of a rotation going forward. Stewart is a bowling ball with a complete game. He's the hammer that Mendenhall is not.
    MUG i have to disagree with you on the Young part. I see Young going the same route as Bell. We play him get others to look at him then trade him off for a draft pick in the 2009 draft that will position us for a Great Defensive Player in the 2009 draft.

Also what Shanahan says will be a fade at best to make people look the other way. I mean he promoted Plummer in the end of the 2005 season but look who he drafted in the 2006 draft. You guessed it Jay Cutler. So he's pulling the same crap. Force people to think a certain way and juke them out come draft day. Witch leads me to why others see us drafting an OT or DT in these Mock Draft. Its because they see those as our needs.

I see either Stewart or Mendenhall being the long term workhorse with Hall as backup.

for the RB corps depth wise

Stewart or Mendenhall -S.Young - Backup A.Hall 2nd backup M.Bell
    J.Hester(FB) - C.Sapp

Maybe T.Henry as a FB if we can convert and make him restructure I can see us making Henry a pure FB and not Draft J.Hester (I doubt we'll be able to get Schmitt)

Then 2009 draft
    Trade S.Yong to X team for their X pick in the 2009 draft

Depth Chart heading into 2009

Stewart or Mendenhall - Backups A.Hall and M.Bell

FB. T.Henry- C.Sapp
    Last edited by BroncoKazuki; 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM.
    McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

i would take stewart because he is a beast and a hard noised runner and more powerful. But taking a RB first round would be a mistake... draft phillips or ellis.
      sigpic
      "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

Originally posted by kthxbai View Post
        Young? A gamebreaker? Not even. He's more of a change of pace back, he gets dinged up almost every game and has that one hit that throws his whole game off.
        He must be a tough player than, playing in 15 games, and averaging over 5.0 yards per carry if he's always dinged up. A lot of that is him having to carry the load towards the end, which Shanahan has already stated that isn't what he's meant to do. You're right, he is a change of pace back. But as long as he isn't getting overworked with carries, and he isn't here for that, he can be as explosive as most other RB's in the league, specifically backups.

He's both a change of pace back, and he can break long runs. If Young stays in his backup role, which he should, there aren't many teams in the NFl at all that have a better backup RB that us, as long as he's allowed to play within his role.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
          Then 2009 draft
          Trade S.Yong to X team for their X pick in the 2009 draft
          If Young's allowed to play within his role, there aren't a lot of teams that are going to give up a high pick for him.

Young to Denver is much more important as a backup RB than say a 5th round pick.

I don't know why people hated on Bell so much, he was arguably the best backup RB in the NFL when he was at Denver.

Considering there aren't many RB's at all in the NFL anymore that carry the ball 70% of the time, teams need a great RB.

Look at all the playoff teams. Even Indy used Kenton kieth more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
            If Young's allowed to play within his role, there aren't a lot of teams that are going to give up a high pick for him.

Young to Denver is much more important as a backup RB than say a 5th round pick.

I don't know why people hated on Bell so much, he was arguably the best backup RB in the NFL when he was at Denver.

Considering there aren't many RB's at all in the NFL anymore that carry the ball 70% of the time, teams need a great RB.

Look at all the playoff teams. Even Indy used Kenton kieth more often than not.
            Thats the thing, I would keep Bell in my back pocket while pander Young to someone else who will be tempted to give us that high Draft pick for him

Imagine if we can move into the top 15 (with some movements) to pick up a great rookie Safety that eclipses this Safety class. Now thats something to really look at or even a DT or an OG.

The choices go on and on. Young is valuable as a bargaining chip for us to trade. If we could get Mendenhall or Stewart to go 1500 and young to come close to 800-1000 yards that would make Young look really tantalizing to those who failed to get a RB last year or missed out.

So in reality Young will best fit his purpose by us trading him after the 2008 season while having Hall and Bell serve as our backup/change of pace. I expcet Bell to work his rear off to beat out Young as the change of pace back.
            McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

So in reality Young will best fit his purpose by us trading him after the 2008 season while having Hall and Bell serve as our backup/change of pace. I expcet Bell to work his rear off to beat out Young as the change of pace back.
              Unless it's something like a 3rd round pick(which I doubt it would be regardles because mid tier Rb's are a dime a dozen), I would rather keep Young. We trade him for a draft pick, then we're likely using a pick to draft a RB later that can provide depth, when we could already have it with Young. I think Bell's days in Denver are numbered, and if all goes fittingly for Denver, Hall likely isn't going to play at all behind Henry(or draft pick), and Young. If Hall has to come in and play, chances are Young either got hurt or regressed, which would severely limit his trade value anyways.

Comment

Thats the thing, I would keep Bell in my back pocket while pander Young to someone else who will be tempted to give us that high Draft pick for him

Imagine if we can move into the top 15 (with some movements) to pick up a great rookie Safety that eclipses this Safety class. Now thats something to really look at or even a DT or an OG.

The choices go on and on. Young is valuable as a bargaining chip for us to trade. If we could get Mendenhall or Stewart to go 1500 and young to come close to 800-1000 yards that would make Young look really tantalizing to those who failed to get a RB last year or missed out.

We have to see how this year goes first. And even if Young rushes well I don't think we could trade him for a top 15 pick. We would have to package a lot more than what we want to.
                Let's fix this defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                  He must be a tough player than, playing in 15 games, and averaging over 5.0 yards per carry if he's always dinged up. A lot of that is him having to carry the load towards the end, which Shanahan has already stated that isn't what he's meant to do. You're right, he is a change of pace back. But as long as he isn't getting overworked with carries, and he isn't here for that, he can be as explosive as most other RB's in the league, specifically backups.

He's both a change of pace back, and he can break long runs. If Young stays in his backup role, which he should, there aren't many teams in the NFl at all that have a better backup RB that us, as long as he's allowed to play within his role.
                  Yes he played in 15 games but he didn't take a major role in most of them. It was after the KC game where he started playing in a bigger role. He was still getting injured though, but he's definitely not a "gamebreaker" as you stated before. He's not as durable as you think, that's why shanny said what he said. So don't call him tough just because he averages 5 yards per carry.
                  lulz @ the Patriots

www.youtube.com/JayCutler4MVP

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
                  RIP DAMIEN NASH
                  RIP SEAN TAYLOR
                  RIP BFC
                  RIP Sneakers the Cat

Comment

Yes he played in 15 games but he didn't take a major role in most of them. It was after the KC game where he started playing in a bigger role. He was still getting injured though, but he's definitely not a "gamebreaker" as you stated before. He's not as durable as you think, that's why shanny said what he said. So don't call him tough just because he averages 5 yards per carry.

Even though he isn't a game-breaker or that "tough" he is a good compliment back who can come in and run or catch a pass on third down and make people miss. With him and Stewart Denver would announce its re-arrival in the elite ranks of running games.
                    Let's fix this defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It was after the KC game where he started playing in a bigger role. He was still getting injured though, but he's definitely not a "gamebreaker" as you stated before. He's not as durable as you think, that's why shanny said what he said. So don't call him tough just because he averages 5 yards per carry.
                      Right. He was basically starting because Henry was injured.

Like I said, if he can "play his role", which is a backup role, he's incredibly effective.

Every team in the NFL would love to have a backup RB that can come in and average over 5 yards a carry.

Also, Young finished tied for 7th in the NFL with runs of 20+ yards. And on the list of 20+ runs, he had the least number of carries of any RB ranked in the top 15.

"Game Breaker" was a bad choice of words. "Explosive" is more like it.
                      Last edited by silkamilkamonic; 01-28-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Don't overlook Young's pass catching ability either. He has a little bit of Reggie Bush in him, so he gives us the flexibility of splitting a RB out wide and sending him on a GO route.

Flexibility is a valuable thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                          Don't overlook Young's pass catching ability either. He has a little bit of Reggie Bush in him, so he gives us the flexibility of splitting a RB out wide and sending him on a GO route.

Flexibility is a valuable thing.
                          So is health...something both Young and Henry have issues with!

Comment

Living in Oregon, I've seen most games that he's played in the past two years. It really depends on what direction we wanted to go with RB. Mendenhall may be able to carry the load, he is quicker, jukes better, and breaks more ankles that Jonathan. However, Stewart runs people over, smacks people in the mouth, and out-muscles a lot of defenders. I'm not saying Mendenhall didn't do that either, but Stewart is definently more powerful.

Personally? I'd take Mendenhall. Why? Stewart is a workhorse and whoever takes him will treat him as such, he's the kind of back that will be good at wearing down defenses by pounding the rock but he'll gain milage easy. There are rare players like LaDanian Tomlinson who are the full package, and they can take the ball every snap if you asked them. Don't bank on it with just any RB though, i'd say taking a home-run hitter with ankle-breaking cuts and solid power would be a better fit. Plus with a stable of fresh legs behind him, Mendenhall doesn't need to be taking more than 20 carries a game.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                              neither we could still get a great back through the 2nd and 3rd rds. use the first on DT, or OL and get tashard choice from Georgia tech in the 2nd. its cheaper in the end
                              Choice is a Decent pick but i would rather spend it on a bruiser like mendenhall or stewart. then on choice. we got a speed back in selvin young. i see choice much like selvin not being able to carry the full load at the pro leval
                              The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                              While he sits by his hearth at home.
                              Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                              That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                                Choice is a Decent pick but i would rather spend it on a bruiser like mendenhall or stewart. then on choice. we got a speed back in selvin young. i see choice much like selvin not being able to carry the full load at the pro leval

i wouldnt be upset if we got either but i dont think the team goes in that direction. if we get a back it will be after the 1st and choice is the best in the late rds. he ran over all over people at the senior bowl, and was by far the best back there. I actually like his size. and his 1 cut ability is great which is what our run game is all about.

again dont get me wrong, mendehall and stewart our beasts, but i think choice can also handle a hevay workload especially if he ends up sharing a few carries with selvin

Comment

Working...
                                X