Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HORSEPOWER 56
    replied
    Corey Williams mostly because the DT talent in the draft after Dorsey and Ellis is somewhat suspect. There is plenty of 1st round OT talent Long, Clady, Williams, Otah, etc and I think that's where we should go in the first round at #12 (because Dorsey and Ellis will be gone).

Leave a comment:

• Mile_High_Kiwi
    replied
    Corey Williams, if I really had to pick only one.

People are quick to forget we have OT Ryan Harris, who I understand was quite highly rated coming out of Notre Dame.

We certainly need more depth along the O line but in Harris we have a potential starter, and the advantage he has over any rookie is he’s had a year to learn the system.

In the perfect world we would get both of them.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    The problem with Corey Williams is if we get him he won't be here for long due to Marcus Thomas nipping at his heels. Even if we get Williams we would still have to draft a NT. I want us to sign him so we can release Alvin McKinley or trade him. He wore down very quickly once he became a starter.

Leave a comment:

• AC1
    replied
    That's a tricky one. I spent some time going back and forth on it

Ideally, we'd like to find a way to get both. Gross would seriously upgrade our RT position (maybe Graham can chip in some money to get him, so he doesn't have to stay and block ). We also really need a starting DT next to Thomas.

The more I think about it, I'd like to get Gross and a cheaper vet at DT like Sopoaga or Rob Meier (maybe both of them). Gross would complete the right side of our line, and would leave just have to worry about Cutler's blindside-protector at LT. Of course, this is moot if Gross is going to cost too much to allow us to bring in more players.

Leave a comment:

• JoRo
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoRT View Post
    Carolina's offense was bad because Steve Smith was injured a good part of the season and they had the 65 year old Vinny Testaverde as their QB!!!!

The NFL is all about systems and filling the types of players you need for your system and Gross seems to fit nicely.
    I think he fits into our system well. Carolina ran a type of zone offense last year.

I am just saying that their line as a whole didn't exactly light it up after the midpoint. Not laying the blame. But I am saying that Gross isn't worth spending a TON of money on. specially a right tackle, they are not nearly as valued as Left... and while I want someone better than Pears I dont want to lock up a right tackle with left tackle money.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    replied
    Originally posted by JoRo View Post
    If it was up to me and I had my mind towards the cap? Gross. It depends though what Denver thinks of this OT class (or maybe not depending on if they truly want to actually upgrade BOTH tackle spots) I will tell you this: Gross will be a right tackle for us. And it is not that Fox wants to upgrade in size. They want to keep Gross but with him and Wharton both becoming FA's they won't be able to keep both and Wharton is prolly more needed to them as a LT, they tried Gross there in the past and he was not nearly as effective.

I think Williams' price is going to become pretty bad once he hits the market, and while I think Gross will have some suitors we got a better chance.

He would be a definate upgrade over Pears and we would suddenly have some depth at OT.

I don't however want him badly enough to want us to spend big money on him, it isn't like Carolina lit the world on fire on offense last year and their running game wasn't that impressive... so if the price got crazy let both FA's walk.

I like the idea of using the draft I truly do hope we focus on there.
    Carolina's offense was bad because Steve Smith was injured a good part of the season and they had the 65 year old Vinny Testaverde as their QB!!!!

The NFL is all about systems and filling the types of players you need for your system and Gross seems to fit nicely.

Leave a comment:

• JoRo
    replied
    If it was up to me and I had my mind towards the cap? Gross. It depends though what Denver thinks of this OT class (or maybe not depending on if they truly want to actually upgrade BOTH tackle spots) I will tell you this: Gross will be a right tackle for us. And it is not that Fox wants to upgrade in size. They want to keep Gross but with him and Wharton both becoming FA's they won't be able to keep both and Wharton is prolly more needed to them as a LT, they tried Gross there in the past and he was not nearly as effective.

I think Williams' price is going to become pretty bad once he hits the market, and while I think Gross will have some suitors we got a better chance.

He would be a definate upgrade over Pears and we would suddenly have some depth at OT.

I don't however want him badly enough to want us to spend big money on him, it isn't like Carolina lit the world on fire on offense last year and their running game wasn't that impressive... so if the price got crazy let both FA's walk.

I like the idea of using the draft I truly do hope we focus on there.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    started a topic Jordan Gross or Corey Williams...

Jordan Gross or Corey Williams...

Who would you choose to fill Denver's needs?

Both of them could start for Denver in the upcoming 2008 season, but getting both of them is not likely. If we had to choose just one, who would be the best option? You could make a case for either one, I am just curious of other peoples opinions.

IMO I think Gross would be the better fit at RT at a cheaper price. He seems to be more of a Denver type of lineman who could do well here. John Fox likes to pound the football and seems to need bigger lineman, so Gross was not a good fit for Carolina, but could be great in Denver. In the past Denver has had more success at signing OT's (Zimmerman, Tony Jones, Salaam) rather then DT's (McGlockton, Gardner, Wilkinson, Adams, Kennedy). The only issue I see is that there a good amount of OTs in this draft, but I don't know if Shanny will have the patience to groom an OT especiallly after the George Foster experince. Gross is a NFL vet who can step in and protect Cutler and help the offense this year with no growing pains.

Corey Williams will have a lot of bidders because of the demand for DT's and his price will go up day by day. He would fit in nicely also, but the price to sign him will be very high. This years draft is weaker at DT then OT which could make Williams a better choice then Williams.

Williams or Gross?
Working...
X