Stewart, Mendenhall, or Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart, Mendenhall, or Jones

Who would you chose? Jonathan Stewart running back out of Oregon. Rashard Mendenhall our of Illinois. Felix Jones out of Arkansas.

Give your reasoning for your pick.
    Jonathan Stewart
    45.95%
    Rashard Mendenhall
    45.95%
    Felix Jones
    8.11%
    Let's fix this defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

J-Stew, he is the toughest to bring down. I also believe he would be the most likely pick assuming Henry is on the outs and Shanny wants to replace him with another power back.

Comment

Mendenhall! I know Stewart, I have been to so many games he has played in this year and he is overrated or so I think. But Mendenhall when I saw him at the Rose Bowl, I thought homeboy was Thomlinson in an Illi uni. He is a stud, simply a great back and I saw him shred over and through Ellis and the Trojans like no other running back I have seen, way more impressive then Stewart.

Comment

Originally posted by Wikked Ink View Post
        Mendenhall! I know Stewart, I have been to so many games he has played in this year and he is overrated or so I think. But Mendenhall when I saw him at the Rose Bowl, I thought homeboy was Thomlinson in an Illi uni. He is a stud, simply a great back and I saw him shred over and through Ellis and the Trojans like no other running back I have seen, way more impressive then Stewart.
        Good points...Mendenhall will be an excellent all around halfback in the league, and I hope we draft him seriously. And I thought he reminded me of Davis, scary he reminds a Pac-10 fan of Thomlinson who also says he is better then Stewart! - Now that is a great endorsement! Hahaha...

Comment

Mendenhall... from what I've seen/read, he reminds me most of Davis. Davis remains the Gold Standard for this offense... not just because he was a great player, but how he played the game. Most notably - he rarely gained less than 1 or 2 yards and very rarely lost yards. This offense is built on consistenly moving the ball - not the big play every drive. Mendenhall seems to be the best fit for that IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
            Good points...Mendenhall will be an excellent all around halfback in the league, and I hope we draft him seriously. And I thought he reminded me of Davis, scary he reminds a Pac-10 fan of Thomlinson who also says he is better then Stewart! - Now that is a great endorsement! Hahaha...

Actually he could just be an USC fan angry at how good Stewart is. (lol) It's quite an endorsement but I have watched Mendenhall a lot and that was his best game. It was not because of what he was doing, it was because of the one big run he broke. This is coming from a Big 10 FAN, Mendenhall will not be a better pro than Stewart because he gets knocked off his feet too much. Stewart is a power rusher who will be a great pro. I would like to see either as a Bronco, but especially Stewart.

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
              Mendenhall... from what I've seen/read, he reminds me most of Davis. Davis remains the Gold Standard for this offense... not just because he was a great player, but how he played the game. Most notably - he rarely gained less than 1 or 2 yards and very rarely lost yards. This offense is built on consistenly moving the ball - not the big play every drive. Mendenhall seems to be the best fit for that IMO.
              Actually, Mendenhall is a big play back. Not that he's not a moving the ball consistently back, he is just better at the big play. Stewart is built around tough rushing which would fit the moving the ball consistently back better.

Comment

Originally posted by denver30 View Post
                Actually he could just be an USC fan angry at how good Stewart is. (lol) It's quite an endorsement but I have watched Mendenhall a lot and that was his best game. It was not because of what he was doing, it was because of the one big run he broke. This is coming from a Big 10 FAN, Mendenhall will not be a better pro than Stewart because he gets knocked off his feet too much. Stewart is a power rusher who will be a great pro. I would like to see either as a Bronco, but especially Stewart.
                Mendenhall is not a bad power rusher himself, and he does not get knocked off of his feet that much. Besides, Mendenhall's body is going to last longer in the NFL with his finesse cuts/spins while Stewart will wear down sooner with the physical punishment he will endure.

What is funny is how Rashard Mendenhall did just as well as Stewart, with quite a few more TDs, and all that was behind an average O-Line with no legit passing offense.

Plus Mendenhall has barely any mileage on him, that is a plus.

Comment

Okay, I highly doubt that...but if that is the best way to bypass his opinion...cool. Mendenhall played against far more top tier defenses then Stewart this year and put up some terrific numbers and more scores, better YPA in both rushing and receiving with fewer carries then Stewart. I think that gives a tad argument to him getting knocked of his feet, even when tackled quickly he still got yards, and his legs never stopped.

Comment

Actually, Mendenhall is a big play back. Not that he's not a moving the ball consistently back, he is just better at the big play. Stewart is built around tough rushing which would fit the moving the ball consistently back better.
                    Perhaps I should clarify my position a bit...

1. I will admit, my information is based on reading/stats/etc. I don't have a lot of first hand viewing of these backs.

2. I would agree that Stewart is probably more of the 'power' back. But, IMO, a pure power back isn't the best fit for this offense. You need a guy that is quick to the hole, but can break tackles - although not necessarily running over defenders. Davis was the perfect compromise between the power guys (Mike Anderson) and the big play guys (Clinton Portis). That's where I see the similarity between he and Mendenhall.

However, since I'm not 100% fluent in this, my mind can be changed!
                    Last edited by neutessa; 01-29-2008, 06:53 PM.

Comment

The Combine Will Tell The Tale

I want to see the athletic numbers from the Combine on each before I *Officially* weigh in.
                      For now, I am going with Stewart, just because he had two games where he carried the rock in excess of 30 times, and was just as good after Dixon got hurt for the Ducks, and was really all they had after that injury....and his Bowl game was AWESOME!

But I am leaning heavily toward taking one or the other with the first pick. I just believe the Broncos will get the most bang for their buck at RB.

BTW, a very good team is going to end up with Felix Jones late in the first round...God help us all if that team is Indy; on the rug, he will be incredible. The second coming of Marshall Faulk.

Comment

its so funny how people can influence a board on here **cough lancane**

nothing wrong with it and im not even saying you give them their info, but just because of your heavy endorsing people just automatically say mendenhall over stewart.

and most of the time everybody is saying different things about the same back

one guy says mendenhall because hes more powerful and gets the tough yards because we dont need the guy to make big plays in our offense just keep it going (totally inaccurate by the way)

another guy says mendenhall because of his quickness and big play ability which is true

this is just funny to me and thats why i bring it up (do some research you zombies) it like they just see mendenhall all over the boards and then make up the stuff they hope he is like :rofl:

but im going to vote stewart, he is built like a truck (5-11 230) strong as a bull and can move (supposedly in the 4.3-4.4 range) has great vision and can do every little thing just as good as mendenhall if not better in my opinion. he is both the HR threat we desperately need as well as a chain mover (more so than mendenhall)

however i would love either one on my team and i am not going to be in love with one and hate on the other, both are tremendous athletes and would make an immediate impact on the way people view this offense as well as the way our offense runs.

i say which ever one is there when we trade back, to grab extra picks of course, then Denver needs to take them whichever it may be just not jones
                        sigpic
                        -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                          one guy says mendenhall because hes more powerful and gets the tough yards because we dont need the guy to make big plays in our offense just keep it going (totally inaccurate by the way)

this is just funny to me and thats why i bring it up (do some research you zombies) it like they just see mendenhall all over the boards and then make up the stuff they hope he is like :rofl:
                          Dude, perhaps you should learn to read a bit better. Obviously this is directed at my post...but you are sorely lacking in your comprehension.

First, I do my own research. I don't allow my mind to be totally influenced by posters on this site. In fact, I posted a reply to another thread just last night based on interpretation of stats about these guys. I had not seen this information posted in that manner by ANYONE here.

Second, what I posted:

This offense is built on consistenly moving the ball - not the big play every drive.

How do you read from the above that I claim Mendenhall is more powerful? Sorry, I don't see it. Further, where do you see that I claim we don't need the guy to make big plays? My statement is clear - we don't need it EVERY DRIVE. Sure, we always need the threat...but what made the SB teams great was the ability for the offense to run 7.5 minutes off the clock and end the drive with a TD. You don't get that kind of time of possesion with 60, 70, 80 yard plays every drive - do you?
                          Last edited by neutessa; 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                            its so funny how people can influence a board on here **cough lancane**

nothing wrong with it and im not even saying you give them their info, but just because of your heavy endorsing people just automatically say mendenhall over stewart.

and most of the time everybody is saying different things about the same back

another guy says mendenhall because of his quickness and big play ability which is true

but im going to vote stewart, he is built like a truck (5-11 230) strong as a bull and can move (supposedly in the 4.3-4.4 range) has great vision and can do every little thing just as good as mendenhall if not better in my opinion. he is both the HR threat we desperately need as well as a chain mover (more so than mendenhall)

however i would love either one on my team and i am not going to be in love with one and hate on the other, both are tremendous athletes and would make an immediate impact on the way people view this offense as well as the way our offense runs.

i say which ever one is there when we trade back, to grab extra picks of course, then Denver needs to take them whichever it may be just not jones

I mentioned Mendenhall, then people came to notice his skills. Dream mentioned him way before any of this 'campy' bull also, maybe some just see a different back then you do, or vice versa...But how are people zombies is beyond me, when someone mentions a player usually others on here read on them and about their attributes, watch video on them...so trust me not everyone is as blind as you believe...mmmmkay?

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
                              Dude, perhaps you should learn to read a bit better. Obviously this is directed at my post...but you are sorely lacking in your comprehension.

First, I do my own research. I don't allow my mind to be totally influenced by posters on this site. In fact, I posted a reply to another thread just last night based on interpretation of stats about these guys. I had not seen this information posted in that manner by ANYONE here.

Second, what I posted:

This offense is built on consistenly moving the ball - not the big play every drive.

How do you read from the above that I claim Mendenhall is more powerful? Sorry, I don't see it. Further, where do you see that I claim we don't need the guy to make big plays? My statement is clear - we don't need it EVERY DRIVE. Sure, we always need the threat...but what made the SB teams great was the ability for the offense to run 7.5 minutes off the clock and end the drive with a TD. You don't get that kind of time of possesion with 60, 70, 80 yard plays every drive - do you?
                              i was semi-referencing your post but it was more of a Poster A says this " " and Poster B says this " " and i just see it all the time in other threads.

your post just gave made me realize it, i wasnt quoting you or anything and while i was posting that you posted your other reply which i did not see stating why you made the comments you made

so sorry for any confusion if you think i meant you specifically or was calling you out or something
                              sigpic
                              -------

Comment

Working...
                              X