Mistakes Of The Past Leave Broncos With Long Road Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistakes Of The Past Leave Broncos With Long Road Back

...and a terrible Draft in 2008 to get them there...

But I digress...

So, the Broncos currently draft at #12 in the first round, and currently have a total of eight Draft picks overall.

The biggest problem is, due to the fact that the Broncos have had more terrible drafts than productive ones since 2000, the Broncos have had to try and make up ground by over-paying for marginal players in free agency, or by picking up street free agents, which, ironically, they actually have had more success with.

So, where to begin?

I guess Offense is the obvious choice. So, here it is, Part I:

RB's
    Travis Henry may be retained after he takes a huge paycut, since he has little to no leverage, but he was a disappointment in 2007 as he could not take the pounding, and IMO is not long for the Broncos or the NFL.
    Selvin Young and Andre Hall are nice backs that might be great backups, and very capable as ST's contributors, and change-of-pace guys, but they are not starters. It makes no sense to pickup a second-tier RB in the Draft, such as Georgia Tech's Tashard Choice, because he is so similar to Selvin Young to begin with, but a late-round FB candidate is not out of the question.

Draft conclusion: Considering the overall weakness of this Draft at so many positions, and the fact that identifying a true No.1 RB has to be very high on the Broncos agenda, the selection of a RB such as Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, or Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall has to be a very good possibility if the Broncos stay at #12. But the merry-go-round at RB has to stop. The Broncos have to get a 'franchise' back in the mold of a TD or Portis to offset the backs the premier teams in the AFC have. The more weapons Jay Cutler has at his disposal, the more dynamic the Broncos Offense can become, and the more it can take pressure off of a Defense that realistically is going to need a few years to recover.

If I am making the pick, I give the selection of a RB very high consideration.

WR's
    Brandon Marshall looks like a budding perennial Pro Bowler. That's a good thing, because Javon Walker, after so much promise in his first year in Denver, looks like he has talked his way out of town, and in doing so, left a huge hole in the receiver core. Brandon Stokely rebounded nicely in his re-hab from Achillies surgery that cost him the end of '06, but it remains unclear if he can stay healthy for a full season as a slot reciever. On a positive note, he may have the perfect understudy in Glen Martinez, who just continued to get better and better as the season went along, and who also showed some flair as a punt returner. All in all, he has probably earned another year to develop and see if he can become a legit NFL player. Martinez would do well to watch Stokley's every move, absorb it, and try to clone himself into that role. No one else on the roster is worth mentioning.

Draft conclusion: This is one area the Broncos may be able to best help themselves through Free Agency. There is no WR worth the #12 pick, and I would not spend a second rounder there, either, as they have bigger, more pressing needs. The Broncos should concentrate on trying to 'steal' a WR that slips into the 4th round, where thay have two selections.

Offensive Line:
    Matt Lepsis has retired, and in doing so, has left a question mark at one of the most important positions on a football team, LT. Good thing for the Broncos that there seem to be some good prospects available in the Draft, and at least some depth. The Broncos also drafted Ryan Harris last year in the 3rd round, and they seem to like him, so it will be very interesting to me to see if they give Harris a year to win or lose the job before they address it with another high Draft choice.
    Erik Pears has had his moments at R and LT over the last two seasons, and I really believe this is a make or break year for him. I was also disappointed to see the Broncos not promote last years practice squad OT Cliff Washburn, who the Packers signed away from them late in the year. Another late round OT selection, such as Colorado's Tyler Polumbus, would seem to be a very strong possibility.
    The Broncos brass seems to like it's interior, as C Tom Nalen is said to be coming back for his 15th year. Chris Kuper is a young player that may have a future as a starter. Ben Hamilton is a question mark, and Montrae Holland is solid, if not spectacular. Chris Myers provides decent depth and ST's play.

Draft conclusion:The Broncos have made a habit out of trying to develop late round and undrafted Free Agents, and really, historically the O-Line is where you can have the most success late. I could see the Broncos trading down to say #20 or so, and drafting Vandy OT Chris Williams if he grades out there, or they could take Boise St OT Ryan Clady at #12, otherwise, I would expect the Broncos to draft some other developmental types with their Day Two picks.

ST's
    A WR that can double as a dynamic kick returner would be ideal. But beyond CAL's Sean Jackson, who I would not draft with a first round pick, there really are no prospects worth drafting with a Day One pick. Glen Martinez and Andre Hall look like they may have bought the Broncos another year with their efforts late in the season, as they did a serviceable job and at least have proven themselves to be worth another look.
    Kick coverage will only improve when the Broncos improve the quality of their LB's and Safeties, which are poor, and who provide the majority of the coverage teams personnel. It is no coincidence that the Defense was bad, and that the tackling on ST's was as well, because they are largely the same players doing both jobs.

Next Up: Part II/Defense
    Last edited by MindField; 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM.

Originally posted by MindField View Post

But I digress...

So, the Broncos currently draft at #12 in the first round, and currently have a total of eight Draft picks overall.

The biggest problem is, due to the fact that the Broncos have had more terrible drafts than productive ones since 2000, the Broncos have had to try and make up ground by over-paying for marginal players in free agency, or by picking up street free agents, which, ironically, they actually have had more success with.

So, where to begin?

RB's
    Travis Henry may be retained after he takes a huge paycut, since he has little to no leverage, but he was a disappointment in 2007 as he could not take the pounding, and IMO is not long for the Broncos or the NFL.
    Selvin Young and Andre Hall are nice backs that might be great backups, and very capable as ST's contributors, and change-of-pace guys, but they are not starters. It makes no sense to pickup a second-tier RB in the Draft, such as Georgia Tech's Tashard Choice, because he is so similar to Selvin Young to begin with, but a late-round FB candidate is not out of the question.

Draft conclusion: Considering the overall weakness of this Draft at so many positions, and the fact that identifying a true No.1 RB has to be very high on the Broncos agenda, the selection of a RB such as Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, or Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall has to be a very good possibility if the Broncos stay at #12. But the merry-go-round at RB has to stop. The Broncos have to get a 'franchise' back in the mold of a TD or Portis to offset the backs the premier teams in the AFC have. The more weapons Jay Cutler has at his disposal, the more dynamic the Broncos Offense can become, and the more it can take pressure off of a Defense that realistically is going to need a few years to recover.

WR's
    Brandon Marshall looks like a budding perennial Pro Bowler. That's a good thing, because Javon Walker, after so much promise in his first year in Denver, looks like he has talked his way out of town, and in doing so, left a huge hole in the receiver core. Brandon Stokely rebounded nicely in his re-hab from Achillies surgery that cost him the end of '06, but it remains unclear if he can stay healthy for a full season as a slot reciever. On a positive note, he may have the perfect understudy in Glen Martinez, who just continued to get better and better as the season went along, and who also showed some flair as a punt returner. All in all, he has probably earned another year to develop and see if he can become a legit NFL player. Martinez would do well to watch Stokley's every move, absorb it, and try to clone himself into that role. No one else on the roster is worth mentioning.

Draft conclusion: This is one area the Broncos may be able to best help themselves through Free Agency. There is no WR worth the #12 pick, and I would not spend a second rounder there, either, as they have bigger, more pressing needs. The Broncos should concentrate on trying to 'steal' a WR that slips into the 4th round, where thay have two selections.

Offensive Line:
    Matt Lepsis has retired, and in doing so, has left a question mark at one of the most important positions on a football team, LT. Good thing for the Broncos that there seem to be some good prospects available in the Draft, and at least some depth. The Broncos also drafted Ryan Harris last year in the 3rd round, and they seem to like him, so it will be very interesting to me to see if they give Harris a year to win or lose the job before they address it with another high Draft choice.
    Erik Pears has had his moments at R and LT over the last two seasons, and I really believe this is a make or break year for him. I was also disappointed to see the Broncos not promote last years practice squad OT Cliff Washburn, who the Packers signed away from them late in the year. Another late round OT selection, such as Colorado's Tyler Polumbus, would seem to be a very strong possibility.
    The Broncos brass seems to like it's interior, as C Tom Nalen is said to be coming back for his 15th year. Chris Kuper is a young player that may have a future as a starter. Ben Hamilton is a question mark, and Montrae Holland is solid, if not spectacular. Chris Myers provides decent depth and ST's play.

Draft conclusion:The Broncos have made a habit out of trying to develop late round and undrafted Free Agents, and really, historically the O-Line is where you can have the most success late. I could see the Broncos trading down to say #20 or so, and drafting Vandy OT Chris Williams if he grades out there, or they could take Boise St OT Ryan Clady at #12, otherwise, I would expect the Broncos to draft some other developmental types with their Day Two picks.

ST's
    A WR that can double as a dynamic kick returner would be ideal. But beyond CAL's Sean Jackson, who I would not draft with a first round pick, there really are no prospects worth drafting with a Day One pick. Glen Martinez and Andre Hall look like they may have bought the Broncos another year with their efforts late in the season, as they did a serviceable job and at least have proven themselves to be worth another look.
    Kick coverage will only improve when the Broncos improve the quality of their LB's and Safeties, which are poor, and who provide the majority of the coverage teams personnel. It is no coincidence that the Defense was bad, and that the tackling on ST's was as well, because they are largely the same players doing both jobs.

good analysis, and well written

Comment

The very fact that the Broncos continue to keep WR's like Glenn Martinez on their roster year after year proves that they just don't get it.

This is a position that they just don't know how to draft for, and don't give me Brandon Marshall, that was luck. A broken clock is right twice a day! If they'd known he'd be this good at WR they would have drafted him sooner and NEVER considered the possibility of moving him to TE.

If drafting RB's is the Broncos strength, then drafting WR's is the Broncos Achilles heel. Trade or free agency is the Broncos only hope, imo, not players like Glenn Martinez......
      Last edited by stnzed; 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
        The very fact that the Broncos continue to keep WR's like Glenn Martinez on their roster year after year proves that they just don't get it.

This is a position that they just don't know how to draft for, and don't give me Brandon Marshall, that was luck. If they'd known he'd be this good at WR they would have drafted him sooner and NEVER mentioned the possibility of moving him to TE.

A trade or free agency is the Broncos only hope, imo, not players like Glenn Martinez......
        agreed, i have my fingers behind my back hoping that he doesnt even return to the team.

it made me sick while i was at the broncos vs bears game to see our #1 reciever was stokley and #2 was martinez

and to make that worse it was in the redzone

id even rather see jacobs on the team because at least he has second round potential left in him. who knows maybe he will impress
        sigpic
        -------

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post

But I digress...

So, where to begin?

RB's

WR's

Offensive Line:

ST's

Great Job, Good choice to look at are Oneal Cousins from UTEP whos probably a round 1 talent in round 2, guy needs to work on his Kick step but he's mostly a natural interior Guy. OT Pedro Sosa (Rutgers) C Kory Lichtensteiger(Bowling Green) will also be nice quality pick ups in round 5 where they will sit. Sosa needs some working on his hand mechanics but he'll be good enough if not better. He's also a Prototype OT who we can have play both sides of the ball. and Lichtensteiger would be great to have replace Nalen as he's smart to diagnose the Defense and call the right pass blocks.

Earl Bennett, Eddie Royal and DJ Hall would be great round 3 pick ups if any of those 3 grade in there that could fill well at the 2nd WR position. Darius Reynaud will be a nice steal as well as he's slated in the 5th round and may climb to the 4th.
          Last edited by BroncoKazuki; 01-29-2008, 07:32 PM.
          McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post

This is a position that they just don't know how to draft for, and don't give me Brandon Marshall, that was luck. A broken clock is right twice a day! If they'd known he'd be this good at WR they would have drafted him sooner and NEVER considered the possibility of moving him to TE.

If drafting RB's is the Broncos strength, then drafting WR's is the Broncos Achilles heel. Trade or free agency is the Broncos only hope, imo, not players like Glenn Martinez......
            I don't disagree, but I don't like the Day One candidates. Overall, I hope this is addressed in Free Agency.

Comment

come on, this draft won't be that bad. There will be a lot of solid players drafted deep into the 2nd day. There may be a lack of elite talent, but not every draft can be like 2006. What I want to see from Denver in this draft, aside from specific players being selected, is as follows:

- keep the trading up to a minimum

- don't draft in bulk (two or more of the same position(s)

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                agreed, i have my fingers behind my back hoping that he doesnt even return to the team.

it made me sick while i was at the broncos vs bears game to see our #1 reciever was stokley and #2 was martinez

and to make that worse it was in the redzone

id even rather see jacobs on the team because at least he has second round potential left in him. who knows maybe he will impress

Agreed, as sad as that is!

Martinez is an end of the roster scrub and would be lucky to make most other teams final roster, yet he's good enough for 14 catches in Denver's depth-less WR's corp......

Comment

We should have kept more draft picks last year and we really wouldn't be in this predicament right now now would we.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                    - don't draft in bulk (two or more of the same position(s)
                    this is something else that really bugs me. one year it was CBs last year it was DL. that is not how you build a team.

i believe building a team is much like my old job at a grocery store in, you have to rotate

meaning every so often you move the older products to the front and put the newer ones behind. you dont just get a shipment in clear the shelf and put all the new product in. and then the next shipment you get all the same stuff and throw away the older product, it just is not good business

this is a big problem for the broncos because while spending all our picks on those 2 positions it has severely hurt our Depth

i mean we have arguably the best secondary in the league, and a whole slew of promissing player on DL (not enough but a good amount)

so what are they doing, well both Paymah and Foxy are sitting down contributing very little to the team compared to where the holes are. WR,LB,S and others

you need to have solid starters, put your young guys behind them and expect them to perform when called upon (injury, retirement, etc.) and then you repeat
                    sigpic
                    -------

Comment

I bow down to Mindfield

Comment

I have to disagree with all the hate on Martinez. He's got great skills and just needs to develop them. In no way is he a #1 or 2 receiver, but he makes a great slot guy. Stokely can very easily coach him up as goes with Rod Smith who's been mentoring all the WR's. Martinez will never be a #1 or 2, but he's got good feet and good hands. That's what you need from a slot guy.

Love your analysis though Minefield. Couldn't be more right. Just waiting for your defensive analysis

Comment

Mind ive been reading your post for the past two weeks about how this is a bad draft. I what to know why you think that. And im not talking bout a postion, im talking bout who you think is bad. Give me names. I read where you said the LBs class was weak i really what to know why you think that. Im just tired of reading your stuff bout this classes being weak and you not naming names. Give why you think Rivers is bad or why Connor is bad or why Highsmith is bad, etc. Give peoples names and real reasons why this a weak class.

Comment

Well written there, and some solid points too.

I agree with the evaluation of the WR position. I think there are several players in FA who would fit very well without commanding Randy Moss like money. I am thinking of people like Devery Henderson, Bryant Johnson and to a lesser extend Bernard Berrian (who will be more expensive than the other 2).

RB is a very difficult position because it is so injury prone. Let us take a little walk down memory lane:

2 seasons ago, 4 RB were drafted in round 1. So far only one of them have been a feature back for a total of 1 season (Addai).

3 seasons ago, 3 RB were drafted in the top 5. Between them they have 2 good half seasons and one of the may never play again.

4 seasons ago, 3 RB drafted in round 1. 1 of them is a stud running back, 1 is injury prone and have failed to live up to his rookie season (Kevin Jones) and one can't get on the field.

In those same 3 drafts, you have people like Michael Turner (5th round), Jerios Jackson (3rd round), Maurice Jones-Drew (2nd round), Frank Gore (3rd round), Marion Barber (4th round).

For every Larry Johnson or Adrian Peterson in the 1st round, there are a couple Cedric Bensons and a Kevin Jones. Drafting RB in the 1st is just too much of a gamble for my taste when you can get talent such as Keith Rivers. I think we are better off drafting a 2nd or (if we trade) a 3rd round RB. I would like a Jamaal Charles from Texas or a Steve Slaton.

As for O-line, I do think Harris and Pears will both get a do-or-die season. We clearly need to address the OT position as we have no legit depth, so I assume we will sign a veteran FA for depth. I would like to see us draft a 4th round OT for depth as well. The big problem I see is that we may end up in a situation where Ryan Clady could be a BPA pick if we don't trade down, and if that is the case I do think we have to draft him.

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
                              Well written there, and some solid points too.

I agree with the evaluation of the WR position. I think there are several players in FA who would fit very well without commanding Randy Moss like money. I am thinking of people like Devery Henderson, Bryant Johnson and to a lesser extend Bernard Berrian (who will be more expensive than the other 2).

RB is a very difficult position because it is so injury prone. Let us take a little walk down memory lane:

2 seasons ago, 4 RB were drafted in round 1. So far only one of them have been a feature back for a total of 1 season (Addai).

3 seasons ago, 3 RB were drafted in the top 5. Between them they have 2 good half seasons and one of the may never play again.

4 seasons ago, 3 RB drafted in round 1. 1 of them is a stud running back, 1 is injury prone and have failed to live up to his rookie season (Kevin Jones) and one can't get on the field.

In those same 3 drafts, you have people like Michael Turner (5th round), Jerios Jackson (3rd round), Maurice Jones-Drew (2nd round), Frank Gore (3rd round), Marion Barber (4th round).

For every Larry Johnson or Adrian Peterson in the 1st round, there are a couple Cedric Bensons and a Kevin Jones.
                              Drafting RB in the 1st is just too much of a gamble for my taste when you can get talent such as Keith Rivers. I think we are better off drafting a 2nd or (if we trade) a 3rd round RB. I would like a Jamaal Charles from Texas or a Steve Slaton.

As for O-line, I do think Harris and Pears will both get a do-or-die season. We clearly need to address the OT position as we have no legit depth, so I assume we will sign a veteran FA for depth. I would like to see us draft a 4th round OT for depth as well. The big problem I see is that we may end up in a situation where Ryan Clady could be a BPA pick if we don't trade down, and if that is the case I do think we have to draft him.
                              And for every Marion Barber there is thousands of Tatum Bells and even more Maurice Claretts.

But if Denver drafted Clady over a RB, I'd be doing cartwheels......

Comment

Working...
                              X