I would be HAPPY with Jonathan Stewart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would be HAPPY with Jonathan Stewart

First off, I want it to be known that I am still hoping to see Rashard Mendenhall in the Orange and Blue, but I am getting used to the idea of Stewart.

The knock I always had on Jonathan Stewart was that he had a lot mileage on his legs at Oregon, so he had already lost a big chunk of his career, but the more I look at it, Stewart is pretty fresh coming into the NFL.

Here are some of the carry numbers of big players in their college careers.

Darren McFadden - 785 Carries

Adrian Peterson - 747 Carries

LaDainian Tomlinson - 907 Carries

edit : Larry Jonson - 460 Carries

Now for two guys that Broncos fans really wanted in the 2004 and 2007 Draft.

Steven Jackson - 743 Carries

Marshawn Lynch - 490 Carries

Jonathan Stewart has the least amount of wear on the tires of all the guys I listed, with only 440 carries. So his legs should definately be good to go for years to come in the NFL.

Rashard Mendenhall only has 262 carries

But if the Broncos draft Stewart, I will be pretty damn stoaked! He has power, speed, good cutting abilitiy. He has all the tools.

(edit: Mendenhall has 388 carries, 262 in 2007. Still the lowest)
    Last edited by mx_stiles13; 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM.

Good point about the relative carries and "miles" on his legs, so to speak. I agree. I actually prefer Stewart, but I'd be content with either one. You can't be too picky.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
      First off, I want it to be known that I am still hoping to see Rashard Mendenhall in the Orange and Blue, but I am getting used to the idea of Stewart.

The knock I always had on Jonathan Stewart was that he had a lot mileage on his legs at Oregon, so he had already lost a big chunk of his career, but the more I more I look at it, Stewart is pretty fresh coming into the NFL.

Here are some of the carry numbers of big players in their college careers.

Darren McFadden - 785 Carries

Adrian Peterson - 747 Carries

LaDainian Tomlinson - 907 Carries

Now for two guys that Broncos fans really wanted in the 2004 and 2007 Draft.

Steven Jackson - 743 Carries

Marshawn Lynch - 490 Carries

Jonathan Stewart has the least amount of wear on the tires of all the guys I listed, with only 440 carries. So his legs should definately be good to go for years to come in the NFL.

Rashard Mendenhall only has 262 carries

But if the Broncos draft Stewart, I will be pretty damn stoaked! He has power, speed, good cutting abilitiy. He has all the tools.
      He is falling so unless we trade down into the late teens or early twenties I do not think Stewart is an option. If we did not get Mendenhall I would not mind Stewart, but a lot of analysts have him falling and Mendenhall rising...but who knows, the combine could change it.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
        He is falling so unless we trade down into the late teens or early twenties I do not think Stewart is an option. If we did not get Mendenhall I would not mind Stewart, but a lot of analysts have him falling and Mendenhall rising...but who knows, the combine could change it.
        Unless he gets injured, J-Stew is virtually guaranteed to turn in a strong showing at the combine. I mean, if you look at his workout numbers at Oregon, they're mind-boggling: hand-timed 4.34 forty, 38" vertical, 415 lb. bench press.

Comment

lol @ stewart falling, maybe some people have him falling but most of the main scouts that know anything have him in their top 15 overall players with the exception of some.

Honestly after the combine its almost a guarantee that he will raise up into most peoples top 10, because he truly is a workout warrior and will open some eyes at the combine.

I am not sure he would even be there for Denver and I have a feeling he will be a strong consideration at the #3 #4 or #5 pick whenever Atlanta is on the clock, especially if the raiders win the coin toss and pick McFadden before they are on the clock, regardless if McFadden is there I think it would still be a strong choice Stewart is selected, its said that they are looking for a franchise back to run a power running scheme and the backs they have now don't fit that mold so it may seem like a reach now but come April it wouldn't surprise me to have Stewart being selected by the Falcons.

Put it this way if Denver can get him at 12 come April I am pretty sure it will be considered a steal, its not everyday you get running backs with the body type, skill set and character that Jonathan Stewart has.

ps:
          im not knocking Mendenhall lancane but please change the picture in your sig well the # on the jersey anyway we can't have anyone wearing 27 its just not right.
          Last edited by The Dyna$ty; 02-05-2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I know you want Mendenhall, but don't say stuff about Stewart that you don't know to be true. You don't know who is rising or falling at this point.

Right now, all players are pretty much on ice until the Combine, where their testing will tell the tale. How could a player be 'falling' right now? They aren't doing anything for the NFL to observe, so these' 'analysts' aren't giving you anything more than their personal opinions, which are generally useless at this time.

The Combine is the Big Show for both players....not only for the obvious 40 times, and agility and shuttle drills, but also the personal interviews.

Mendenhall could just as easlily slip in the minds of some teams because he has only done it for one year.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
              I know you want Mendenhall, but don't say stuff about Stewart that you don't know to be true. You don't know who is rising or falling at this point.

Right now, all players are pretty much on ice until the Combine, where their testing will tell the tale. How could a player be 'falling' right now? They aren't doing anything for the NFL to observe, so these' 'analysts' aren't giving you anything more than their personal opinions, which are generally useless at this time.

The Combine is the Big Show for both players....not only for the obvious 40 times, and agility and shuttle drills, but also the personal interviews.

Mendenhall could just as easlily slip in the minds of some teams because he has only done it for one year.
              Well said, before the combine its all just a bunch of hearsay

I heard so much over the last few months how Stewart is just a bowler back just a power running back, and thats not true sure he has power and will run you over if he has to but his first intent will be to make you miss with his agility or run around you with his speed.

People look at Stewart's weight and automatically assume hes a Jerome Bettis type back......

Character will also play a huge part in where a player is drafted, and Stewart is basically a quiet choir boy compared to some of the other players in the draft, hes never done anything law bending not even in college, high school or middle school, he will be rated high because of that.
              Last edited by The Dyna$ty; 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/index

There you go, right hand side...but I guess ESPN is full of DS, so who knows! I guess maybe I know nothing either, which is plauseable...but I would not bet on it. And remember it are these same opinions which do effect others...I am sure their opinions of Cutler helped us move to get him instead of trying to nab him later, originally Cutler was graded as a second round pick! Could you imagine if we did not get him? Some is guessing, but Stewart is not a god and he can fall, no matter what you think...

Comment

Rashard Mendenhall only has 262 carries .
                  this is the kind of false info i am talking about, you make yourself lose all credibility except to people that dont know any better

in 05' mendenhall had 48 carries stewart had 53

06' mendenhall had 78 carries stewart had 183

in 07' mendenhall had your 262 while stewart had 280

so you add those up 48+78+262= 388

when you look at it that way he really doesnt have that many less carries, but when you take 1 year from one guy and 3 from another it makes a pretty big difference huh
                  sigpic
                  -------

Comment

There you go, right hand side...but I guess ESPN is full of DS, so who knows! I guess maybe I know nothing either, which is plauseable...but I would not bet on it. And remember it are these same opinions which do effect others...I am sure their opinions of Cutler helped us move to get him instead of trying to nab him later, originally Cutler was graded as a second round pick! Could you imagine if we did not get him? Some is guessing, but Stewart is not a god and he can fall, no matter what you think...

ESPN is full of DS, year-round, whatever DS means.

Oh I just figured it out, it means dog sh1t!

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                      ESPN is full of DS, year-round, whatever DS means.

Oh I just figured it out, it means dog sh1t!
                      Close Max...lmfao, try Dip instead of dog...hahaha!

Comment

Hes not saying that he can't fall, everyones stock can fall hes just saying its not real likely based on the kind of numbers he produces from his previous work outs, he is almost a lock to put up good numbers at the combine and thats where the money is made.

yeah so ESPN has him at #22 so what?

The main guy from ESPN Mel Kiper Jr has him at #10

just pointing that out

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                          this is the kind of false info i am talking about, you make yourself lose all credibility except to people that dont know any better

in 05' mendenhall had 48 carries stewart had 53

06' mendenhall had 78 carries stewart had 183

in 07' mendenhall had your 262 while stewart had 280

so you add those up 48+78+262= 388

when you look at it that way he really doesnt have that many less carries, but when you take 1 year from one guy and 3 from another it makes a pretty big difference huh
                          Dude I already changed it before you posted this.

I accidentally read only the 2007 stats. Did you not notice that I edited?

Comment

Dude I already changed it before you posted this.

I accidentally read only the 2007 stats. Did you not notice that I edited?
                            haha ok

no it took me a while to post it finding the stats

so you edited while i was posting, no big deal.

i just hate ignorance (note: not calling you ignorant but so many times on this site people just spit out incorrect info it bugs me)

but i apologize
                            sigpic
                            -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                              haha ok

no it took me a while to post it finding the stats

so you edited while i was posting, no big deal.

i just hate ignorance (note: not calling you ignorant but so many times on this site people just spit out incorrect info it bugs me)

but i apologize
                              Sorry for acting so defensive.

Thanks for the apology

Comment

Working...
                              X