Do Not Draft A Runningback!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Draft A Runningback!!!!!!!

Why would we draft a RB? You guys have got to be kidding me here. Maybe a 5th or 6th round flyer, but we have way too many needs and holes to fill. How about drafting DT, OL, LB, S, WR Lets spend every pick we have on these positions. I'm pleading here. There are plenty of value picks out there that will be available in the 3rd and 4th round at LB.

1st RD: OL or DT (best available)
    2nd RD: whichever we didn't draft in the 1st OL/DT
    3rd RD: LB (Adibi or Hall - gotta go with my Hokies)
    4th RD: OL/WR/FB- Owen Schmitt or Eddie Royal would look good here.

Where did Eslinger go? He still a Bronco? Practice Squad? Nalen isn't getting any younger.
    sigpicThanks to Freyaka for the sick Sig pic!!

I agree it isn't a need, but unless we can get Ellis(highly unlikely) it might be best to trade down to get Mendenhall or Stewart and then get Pat Simms. We also could go for Keith Rivers.
    sigpic
    Made by Houshmazode

Comment

OK, let me explain this to you real easy like!

I think all would agree that our most pressing needs would be;
      O-Line- Clady and Long will be gone by 12, Baker is not worth 12 nor Chris Williams, so we can wait on an OT until round 2, someone will fall! Bottom Line: NO VALUE!

DT- The ONLY 2 DT's in this draft worth the number 12 are Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis, neither will be there and I don't care what anyone says Kentwan Balmer is not a top 15 pick! Bottom Line: NO VALUE!

LB- Keith Rivers is a possibility, though I think after he works out he will be a top 10 pick (Cincinnati maybe), Dan Connor is bottom 1st round talent, same with Adibi and Highsmith! Bottom Line: NO VALUE

S- Let's be honest here, Kenny Phillips is the only Safety that would go this high, and he is a borderline top 25 pick, if a 1st rounder. Plus I think that this class is pretty deep with solid safeties but no legitimate Blue-Chippers, point: one can be had later, but at 12? BOTTOM LINE once again: NO VALUE

With all this being said, if Sedrick Ellis, Ryan Clady, or maybe Keith Rivers falls to us at 12 I am all for it, but I think those chances are slim to none.
      We CANNOT trade up and lose picks, that is not an option!!!
      We can trade down to the lower teens or early 20's in which case a guy like Sam Baker, Chris Williams, Kentwan Balmer, Dan Connor, or even Kenny Phillips would make more sense!
      I am sick of Shanahan reaching for guys just because we have a need, he needs to go BPA this year, and if you don't think RB is a need, just take a glance at our Red_Zone offense the last 2 years, our 3rd down conversion
      rate, and hoiw badly our scoring offense has dipped since 05, throw into account that we cannot sustain drives and it makes it all the worse!

Henry is garbage, Young is change of pace back at best (Shanahan said this himself), and Hall is solid, but not a 20-25 carry RB, we have enough 5th or 6th round flyers, we need a stud!

A great running game will: A. Chew up clock, keeping guys like Brady and Manning off the field B. Keep our defense off the field, I don't care how bad our defense is, if we can sustain longer drives and score TOUCHDOWNS, our defense will perform much, much better!

Another point to hammer home is the fact that there is a decent chance that Oakland will draft Darren McFadden, that will give them D-Mac, Kansas City LJ, and San Diego LT, and us a commitee of Henry, Young, and Hall, are you kidding me with that, we will get left behind!

While some people like you would rather see us reach for a defensive player or an OT that won't be able to contribute right away anyways, I can recognize value when I see it, and since the only think Shanahan knows how to evaluate is RB's, the time has come, Give me JONATHAN STEWART!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

O-Line- Clady and Long will be gone by 12, Baker is not worth 12 nor Chris Williams, so we can wait on an OT until round 2, someone will fall! Bottom Line: NO VALUE!

DT- The ONLY 2 DT's in this draft worth the number 12 are Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis, neither will be there and I don't care what anyone says Kentwan Balmer is not a top 15 pick! Bottom Line: NO VALUE!

LB- Keith Rivers is a possibility, though I think after he works out he will be a top 10 pick (Cincinnati maybe), Dan Connor is bottom 1st round talent, same with Adibi and Highsmith! Bottom Line: NO VALUE

S- Let's be honest here, Kenny Phillips is the only Safety that would go this high, and he is a borderline top 25 pick, if a 1st rounder. Plus I think that this class is pretty deep with solid safeties but no legitimate Blue-Chippers, point: one can be had later, but at 12? BOTTOM LINE once again: NO VALUE

With all this being said, if Sedrick Ellis, Ryan Clady, or maybe Keith Rivers falls to us at 12 I am all for it, but I think those chances are slim to none.
        We CANNOT trade up and lose picks, that is not an option!!!
        We can trade down to the lower teens or early 20's in which case a guy like Sam Baker, Chris Williams, Kentwan Balmer, Dan Connor, or even Kenny Phillips would make more sense!
        I am sick of Shanahan reaching for guys just because we have a need, he needs to go BPA this year, and if you don't think RB is a need, just take a glance at our Red_Zone offense the last 2 years, our 3rd down conversion
        rate, and hoiw badly our scoring offense has dipped since 05, throw into account that we cannot sustain drives and it makes it all the worse!

Henry is garbage, Young is change of pace back at best (Shanahan said this himself), and Hall is solid, but not a 20-25 carry RB, we have enough 5th or 6th round flyers, we need a stud!

A great running game will: A. Chew up clock, keeping guys like Brady and Manning off the field B. Keep our defense off the field, I don't care how bad our defense is, if we can sustain longer drives and score TOUCHDOWNS, our defense will perform much, much better!

Another point to hammer home is the fact that there is a decent chance that Oakland will draft Darren McFadden, that will give them D-Mac, Kansas City LJ, and San Diego LT, and us a commitee of Henry, Young, and Hall, are you kidding me with that, we will get left behind!

While some people like you would rather see us reach for a defensive player or an OT that won't be able to contribute right away anyways, I can recognize value when I see it, and since the only think Shanahan knows how to evaluate is RB's, the time has come, Give me JONATHAN STEWART!!!!!!
        It seems like right now Cincy is more interested in Connor but as you say this could change after workouts. I would prefer Ellis 1st, Rivers 2nd, then Mendenhall with a trade to Detroit for Rogers. I'd be happy with any of these.
        sigpic
        Made by Houshmazode

Comment

BPA > need

KWHIT said it best, there\'s no value at our other, supposedly bigger, need positions. Shanahan is always thinking offense, and always tweaking the run game. That\'s why we have a different backfield every year. It\'s time for that cycle to end. Get the franchise back, and worry about the defense later, when it\'s more opportune.
          Last edited by Max Power; 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
            BPA > need
            I agree, but remember Max that we need a lot! I wish I could say I was kidding. I would love for Sam Brandon to return, he gives us a legit safety in the mix, also I do believe Ken Hamlin will come in to speak to Shanahan and company if Lynch retires, also I expect that decision most likely to be known February 28th or 29th, right before the Free Agent period begins. If we somehow got Brandon and Hamlin, and traded for Rogers by trading down in the 1st!!! That just improved us ten-fold, that means we can utilize our picks to get into position from the 2nd to the 7th rounds for more quality.

The way I see it though is simple, I think Henry restructures and I thought about this long and hard, the answer I got is that Shanahan has never been one to cut his nose despite his face, meaning we have always had a good core of backs...or at least tried to until recently. So why cut Henry? We will not, at least not this season...but if we could get a top-shelf back with Henry and Young, we really have a solid offensive backfield...why will we take Mendenhall over Stewart, not because of power we have that in Henry, not because of speed because we have that in Young, but because of the combination and if Henry goes down, Mendenhall and Young still gives us the offensive fire-power to compete.

Safety is a need, linebacker is a need (on the outside) give Williams another year, if he does not improve...then we may go after a true mike in 2009, but right now we need outside backers to compete and we have a lot of depth with Beck, Winborn, Webster and Gold, if we add Bailey, or get a decent backer in the draft or both, then we should be a solid unit next season. Shaun Rogers and a latter day tackle or hybrid end/tackle and our unit is improved on the line and safety...Brandon is a plus if we get him back, if Lynch goes I think we add one in the draft and try for a free agent. That in my honest opinion depends on Lynch how we go. If he retires we forget about linebacker unless it is cost effective and go safety, if he returns we go only draft and take a linebacker in free agency.

Comment

I think we have so many holes... whatever we do, wherever we go... in any direction... will only help this team.

SURE, we could grab a DT, and if Sedrick Ellis is there... I agree 1000 percent! BUt, Balmer-Okam-Sims... are they really worth the 12th pick? Are they better than a round 2-4 DT?

Sure, we could go OT. Clady-Williams-Baker all have advantages... ZBS... Pass blocking... all that Jazz, but they all have their red flags too! Competition Clady played against? Williams-Baker would be fine, no complaints here... but, not like it's a slam dunk right?

Sure, we could grab Kenny Phillips. We need a safety. BUT, what if he's not the real goods... More like Merriweather than Reed-Taylor? What if he has coverage problems? YEAH, if he's the goods... he'll help, no doubt!

Sure, we could grab a LB... but wont there still be stud LBs there in the 2nd round? Every bit as good as Rivers-Connor? NOW, if Gholston slips, then now we're talking!

MY MAIN point of emphasis comes now:

RUNNING BACK... allow me to state my case... This might be the only time in the Culter-Shanny era where DEN has the chance to grab the #2 RB in a draft class. Mendenhall or Stewart... It might be 5-10 years before DEN has such an opportunity to grab this sort of back. Why not take advantage?

We have such a young DL right now... We wont be better next year by grabbing a stud DT (unless it's Ellis)... so, why not pursue an established DT before the draft, and then take a flier on a DT prospect in round 4?

Same with the O-line... I could live with Williams... but this is more of a risk than RM-JS? I think, for the value at 12, those two RBs are as close to can't miss as you can get. Why not solidify our offense with Cutler-Scheffler-Marsh-Young-RM/JS... We would be set... Just sprinkle in a #2 WR, and a few OL guys... and away we go!

SURE... both lines are important. Cannot win w/out it... BUT, DEN does have KUP, MYERS, HARRIS, PEARS... we have enough right now... We hope to get Nalen-Hamilton back. We can survive right now... Grab a OL in the 5th and hope. NEXT YEAR... This will be our number one need.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                I think we have so many holes... whatever we do, wherever we go... in any direction... will only help this team.

SURE, we could grab a DT, and if Sedrick Ellis is there... I agree 1000 percent! BUt, Balmer-Okam-Sims... are they really worth the 12th pick? Are they better than a round 2-4 DT?

Sure, we could go OT. Clady-Williams-Baker all have advantages... ZBS... Pass blocking... all that Jazz, but they all have their red flags too! Competition Clady played against? Williams-Baker would be fine, no complaints here... but, not like it's a slam dunk right?

Sure, we could grab Kenny Phillips. We need a safety. BUT, what if he's not the real goods... More like Merriweather than Reed-Taylor? What if he has coverage problems? YEAH, if he's the goods... he'll help, no doubt!

Sure, we could grab a LB... but wont there still be stud LBs there in the 2nd round? Every bit as good as Rivers-Connor? NOW, if Gholston slips, then now we're talking!

MY MAIN point of emphasis comes now:

RUNNING BACK... allow me to state my case... This might be the only time in the Culter-Shanny era where DEN has the chance to grab the #2 RB in a draft class. Mendenhall or Stewart... It might be 5-10 years before DEN has such an opportunity to grab this sort of back. Why not take advantage?

We have such a young DL right now... We wont be better next year by grabbing a stud DT (unless it's Ellis)... so, why not pursue an established DT before the draft, and then take a flier on a DT prospect in round 4?

Same with the O-line... I could live with Williams... but this is more of a risk than RM-JS? I think, for the value at 12, those two RBs are as close to can't miss as you can get. Why not solidify our offense with Cutler-Scheffler-Marsh-Young-RM/JS... We would be set... Just sprinkle in a #2 WR, and a few OL guys... and away we go!

SURE... both lines are important. Cannot win w/out it... BUT, DEN does have KUP, MYERS, HARRIS, PEARS... we have enough right now... We hope to get Nalen-Hamilton back. We can survive right now... Grab a OL in the 5th and hope. NEXT YEAR... This will be our number one need.

My only question is McShay has Williams at #13, Mendenhall at #16 and Stewart at #18.

I think we would be reaching for the back. Plus it sounds like Shanny in his presser wants to stay with Henry. If we got rid of Henry it would cost us cap room. I really don't care as long as we get a player who will come in right away and help us. I am not sold on Ryan at LT. He may be great but we never saw him play. Here is the question with our line problems and Lepsis not having a great year why did we not see the kid? I know he had surgery but if he was recovered and "IF" he was good would you not think he would be in there?? I just don't know. So the weakness is at LT to me more than RB where we know we have three good backs. Just my view. I could be wrong.
                Last edited by cutlerfan; 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM.

----------------------------------------------
                I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

I agree. We need a OT. Even if Harris is legit... what's wrong with having another solid OT? AND, even if we appreciate Pears... what's wrong w/ having depth and insurance? I hear you!

AND... I do think I could be happy with whatever. I just think whomever it is... he must be a legit cornerstone of our future success. Broncos cannot afford to miss with this pick. That's it. SO, to ensure success... DRAFT BPA. Simple as that...

SO... DEN should avoid drafting based on need... Don't pass the RB b/c we need OT more, or vice versa... Even if we keep Henry... What's wrong w/ having 3 RBs for now (especially when Young-Henry get hurt)... Same thing why I would say draft a OT, despite already having Pears-HArris... and what not.

I think it comes down to Ellis, Williams, Phillips, JS/RM... I imagine one of these players will be a BRONCO!

Comment

I just want to see the combine. I want to see Williams go head to head with Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Sam Baker and Jeff Otah.

Chris Williams is my choice BUT if there is another player better for our team then that is my guy. Again, I just want whats best for us.

I think Earl Bennett will be a solid choice for us at WR because he is a playmaker and Cutler and he have chemistry and he would not be a guy who would be mad if BMarsh got more balls than he did. We don't need any WR drama!

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                      I agree. We need a OT. Even if Harris is legit... what's wrong with having another solid OT? AND, even if we appreciate Pears... what's wrong w/ having depth and insurance? I hear you!

AND... I do think I could be happy with whatever. I just think whomever it is... he must be a legit cornerstone of our future success. Broncos cannot afford to miss with this pick. That's it. SO, to ensure success... DRAFT BPA. Simple as that...

SO... DEN should avoid drafting based on need... Don't pass the RB b/c we need OT more, or vice versa... Even if we keep Henry... What's wrong w/ having 3 RBs for now (especially when Young-Henry get hurt)... Same thing why I would say draft a OT, despite already having Pears-HArris... and what not.

I think it comes down to Ellis, Williams, Phillips, JS/RM... I imagine one of these players will be a BRONCO!
                      Take the offensive linemen off there and I think you may be right...I do not think Shanahan will go offensive line in the first round, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd if we get a pick in that round...but Denver in the past 20 years have had only two first rounders and the most recent was Gary Zimmerman, our average linemen came from the 6th to 10th rounds of the draft, back when they did draft and even from rookie free agents such as Tony Jones, Erik Pears and Matt Lepsis.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                        Take the offensive linemen off there and I think you may be right...I do not think Shanahan will go offensive line in the first round, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd if we get a pick in that round...but Denver in the past 20 years have had only two first rounders and the most recent was Gary Zimmerman, our average linemen came from the 6th to 10th rounds of the draft, back when they did draft and even from rookie free agents such as Tony Jones, Erik Pears and Matt Lepsis.
                        I was reading where they did a study and they said of all positions a First Round OT was the least likely to be a bust.

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

Both Baker and Williams are terrific values at #12. ESPN ranks Baker at 14, Scout.com ranks Williams at 12, and NFLDC ranks him at 13. Their actual value is even higher than their ranking suggests, given the importance of the LT position.

Also, if we don't take one of them, chances are that Carolina is going to pick Baker at 13 and Chicago will pick Williams at 14.
                          Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                            I was reading where they did a study and they said of all positions a First Round OT was the least likely to be a bust.
                            And that is very true, the average draft sees on average five offensive lineman drafted in the first and one out of every three does not live up to their potential. That means only two usually are more then Fodder. That is a big if as well, because they receive a big payday being first rounders...so literally they could damage us financially just as bad as on the field. Great if you get the next Zimmerman, crappy if you get the next Pace or Foster!

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                              You forget about George Foster, and didnt that pick work out well for us. plus we didnt draft zimmerman as you know so really foster is the only one of late. our best success for the linemen has come in FA and later round draft picks and I think we will stick with this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X