Mike Mayock ranks the RBs in the Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Mayock ranks the RBs in the Draft

In case any of you guys missed this on NFLTA.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
    lulz @ the Patriots

www.youtube.com/JayCutler4MVP

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP SEAN TAYLOR
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Can you say ouch! LMFAO...he just basically said the same thing as I have said that the class is not as good as some believe! Chris Johnson in the 3rd round and he is the fifth best running back...and did he talk about some of their bad qualities besides Mendenhall.

My favorite part is that he has Mendenhall as the #12 overall athlete in the draft! #12 overall pick...Hmmmm...

Comment

It's nice that Mayock has put so much time and effort into already making his "these are my top _____" lists, but until the combine it really means nothing. If McFadden or Jones comes out and runs a 4.3 40 and Stewart and/or Mendenhall run in the 4.5s, then the sacred "list" will change again.

I'm not predicting anything, but I'm still flabbergasted that a guy that was in the running for the Heisman trophy two years in a row coming from a team where he was one of two offensive weapons, running behind a suspect O-line, playing against the toughest/near pro-caliber defenses in college football is still doubted as to whether he's "big enough" or "tough enough" to get it done.

All I can really say is this... for all the guys doubting McFadden (including the almighty Mike Mayock) he's been putting up his numbers for THREE YEARS against the BEST the NCAA has to offer. I admit I'm a casual college football fan and don't get too involved outside of the SEC and ACC, but I didn't know who the hell Rashard Medenhall was before this year. I'd heard of Stewart, but before this year he was just another "good RB". EVERYONE knew who Darren McFadden was/is and it sure as hell wasn't because he played for some powerhouse, press machine team (like a USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, LSU, etc). He played for Arkansas and was the SOLE REASON THEY HAVE BEEN RESPECTABLE for the last three years.

It's just sad that in the past month THE BEST PLAYER entering the 2008 NFL draft has suddenly become "overrated", or a "bust waiting to happen", or "not big enough to take the pounding of an NFL season" without even playing a down. This is why I don't take anything seriously that ANYONE says about the talent level of certain players. I've seen McFadden play many times and he's amazing. IMO, he's the closest thing to a "sure thing" pick in this draft and NOBODY, including Mike Mayock, can convince me otherwise until I see it with my own eyes.

If I try hard enough and provide enough persuasive "evidence" (spoken U-tube highlight reels) I can probably sell just about any player (especially if it's a position of need) I want to about half of this board. It's not that hard. Group-think takes over rapidly, as evidenced by how quickly everyone has jumped on Lancane's Mendenhall wagon or how for about 3 weeks leading up to the senior bowl, the best DT in this draft was Frank Okam because MUG said so and EVERYONE (including me) was giddy thinking that he's the next savior of our D-line.

All in all it doesn't matter. If we don't fix the O-line and D-line, it wouldn't matter if we had a RBBC of Jim Brown, Walter Payton (RIP), and Barry Sanders in our backfield, we still wouldn't be able to run the ball and score touchdowns in the red zone.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
        It's nice that Mayock has put so much time and effort into already making his "these are my top _____" lists, but until the combine it really means nothing. If McFadden or Jones comes out and runs a 4.3 40 and Stewart and/or Mendenhall run in the 4.5s, then the sacred "list" will change again.
        Yup, because the combine makes/breaks football players
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not predicting anything, but I'm still flabbergasted that a guy that was in the running for the Heisman trophy two years in a row coming from a team where he was one of two offensive weapons, running behind a suspect O-line, playing against the toughest/near pro-caliber defenses in college football is still doubted as to whether he's "big enough" or "tough enough" to get it done.

All I can really say is this... for all the guys doubting McFadden (including the almighty Mike Mayock) he's been putting up his numbers for THREE YEARS against the BEST the NCAA has to offer. I admit I'm a casual college football fan and don't get too involved outside of the SEC and ACC, but I didn't know who the hell Rashard Medenhall was before this year. I'd heard of Stewart, but before this year he was just another "good RB". EVERYONE knew who Darren McFadden was/is and it sure as hell wasn't because he played for some powerhouse, press machine team (like a USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, LSU, etc). He played for Arkansas and was the SOLE REASON THEY HAVE BEEN RESPECTABLE for the last three years.

It's just sad that in the past month THE BEST PLAYER entering the 2008 NFL draft has suddenly become "overrated", or a "bust waiting to happen", or "not big enough to take the pounding of an NFL season" without even playing a down. This is why I don't take anything seriously that ANYONE says about the talent level of certain players. I've seen McFadden play many times and he's amazing. IMO, he's the closest thing to a "sure thing" pick in this draft and NOBODY, including Mike Mayock, can convince me otherwise until I see it with my own eyes.

If I try hard enough and provide enough persuasive "evidence" (spoken U-tube highlight reels) I can probably sell just about any player (especially if it's a position of need) I want to about half of this board. It's not that hard. Group-think takes over rapidly, as evidenced by how quickly everyone has jumped on Lancane's Mendenhall wagon or how for about 3 weeks leading up to the senior bowl, the best DT in this draft was Frank Okam because MUG said so and EVERYONE (including me) was giddy thinking that he's the next savior of our D-line.

All in all it doesn't matter. If we don't fix the O-line and D-line, it wouldn't matter if we had a RBBC of Jim Brown, Walter Payton (RIP), and Barry Sanders in our backfield, we still wouldn't be able to run the ball and score touchdowns in the red zone.
          No. . . Barry Sanders is the only back that I have ever seen that didn't really need an effective O-line. Most of the time they were just in his way and one more player he had to dodge.

Comment

HP keep the McFadden Hype Machine going because really the Maylok is right on the money about McFadden. The kid will stay in the top 5 because everyone else wants him to stay in the top 5.

If McFadden pulls a Peterson, then we can come back and discuss the doubt, but the reality is McFadden goes dead when he gets hit.

Jones looks somewhat of a better back.

Mendenhall has the balance you want, and Stewart is very stout.

I still think no matter what happens McFadden will stay in the top 5

but Mendenhall and Stewart will battle it out to be in the top 15 and may end up being in the top 15 themselves.

Jones may go into the High 20s.

But 3 of the 4 backs will be good backs and the back that becomes the bust will have their team scratching their heads.
            McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

Everyone says McFadden can't take a hit. Well if that was true why was he the starter the past couple of years at Arkansas. He is the best back and so called draft experts are just trying to find something bad about him when there really isn't anything that he can't do. You can't say he is small until you've seen him in person. I've saw him when I went to the Arkansas camp in the summer with my brother last year and he is ripped. I say he has 10% body fat probably less. He's like the AI of running backs. AI still plays 40+ minutes a night and he's in his 30s and he's the takes the hardest shots in all of the NBA. D-Mac can do the same so don't say he can't take a hit when he has taken the best of the SEC for the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                Everyone says McFadden can't take a hit. Well if that was true why was he the starter the past couple of years at Arkansas. He is the best back and so called draft experts are just trying to find something bad about him when there really isn't anything that he can't do. You can't say he is small until you've seen him in person. I've saw him when I went to the Arkansas camp in the summer with my brother last year and he is ripped. I say he has 10% body fat probably less. He's like the AI of running backs. AI still plays 40+ minutes a night and he's in his 30s and he's the takes the hardest shots in all of the NBA. D-Mac can do the same so don't say he can't take a hit when he has taken the best of the SEC for the past couple of years.

The thing is he can take a hit but what you look for in a RB is to keep moving even after being held down. When McFadden gets hit its like he runs into a brick wall and stops dead. Theres very little extra effort on his part but the thing is, Maylok gets paid to do this. Same with every scout out there but the general thought is because McFadden had some very flashy moves which hypes him has moved him into the top 5, but he has shown that he's been stopped dead when he needs to be moving even if its a futile effort.
                Last edited by BroncoKazuki; 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM.
                McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

LOL @ the 5th back in this draft going in the 3rd round!!!

He thinks 4 may go in round 1, and none in the 2nd? lol...

Comment

I just wish he talked about some of the other great backs in this draft... rather than talk about the same 4 that are always talked about. He mentioned Chris Johnson... but he didnt even break him down...

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7 View Post
                      Yup, because the combine makes/breaks football players
                      It has a certain degree of impact, but doesn't nescessarily translate to real talent on the field in game action.

Comment

I think that mayock is overanalizing mcfadden a bit, you dont do what he did in collage and not be able to break a few tackles, he was so good that players couldnt get close enough for him to break tackles, he is that much quicker and faster then everyone, then you add his size in where he can add another 10 pounds easy in the nfl, the guy has a very good chance to be not only good, but great. the other guys can be good, but none of the others that he mentioned, I dont think are going to be great. and then he didnt even mention my guy Kevin Smith, who breaks tackles, is quicker than all of them and never gets caught from behind, the only thing that pushes him back is his school, but this guy has the size, vision, and tackle breaking ability, along with the fact that he has proven that he can carry a large load of the carries with out getting injured. but it is still early, lets wait until the combine when the list get more set before we see where these guys stack up
                        sigpic

Comment

well, that's because he doesn't judge players from how they work out. He judges them by how well they played during their college career. Combine/Pro Days makes for only probably 10% of what the scouts need to see in order to further evalute them.

Most scouts/draft experts/teams already know who's going to be their selections unless a guy like McFadden impress scouts at the combine and makes him that much more valuable. Like Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson last year, they were already top 10 talent but elevated their status because of their combine.

Then you sometimes have guys like Ronnie Brown or Chris Henry who blows up in the combine and teams will draft them due to their combine. Those are the players you want to avoid picking early because of good combine but low productivity during their college career. Some work some don't, just don't reach for them because they showed some spark.

Then you sometimes have guys whose stock drops because of poor combine. Terrel Davis, Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall but they became superstars. It's what they did while at the collegate level not what their combine numbers say.

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar View Post
                            well, that's because he doesn't judge players from how they work out. He judges them by how well they played during their college career. Combine/Pro Days makes for only probably 10% of what the scouts need to see in order to further evalute them.

Most scouts/draft experts/teams already know who's going to be their selections unless a guy like McFadden impress scouts at the combine and makes him that much more valuable. Like Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson last year, they were already top 10 talent but elevated their status because of their combine.

Then you sometimes have guys like Ronnie Brown or Chris Henry who blows up in the combine and teams will draft them due to their combine. Those are the players you want to avoid picking early because of good combine but low productivity during their college career. Some work some don't, just don't reach for them because they showed some spark.

Then you sometimes have guys whose stock drops because of poor combine. Terrel Davis, Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall but they became superstars. It's what they did while at the collegate level not what their combine numbers say.

It is amazing how much a player can either not be able to play or all of a sudden become a dominate player without playing a single game, a guy dominates play in collage and all of a sudden well he only ran a 4.5 40 so he dont know how to play football
                            sigpic

Comment

I would kill to have McFadden fall to 12, though unlikely if this would happen we could either select him and get our franchise back for the nxt 8 years or trade the pick to Dallas for everything they have.
                              I guarantee if McFadden is there at 12 Dallas will give us a good player and picks 22 and 28, man that would be awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X