Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All aboard the Stewart/Mendenhall Train!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    Mike Anderson was so dominant in 05, they cut him......
    and sadly he is twice the back of any of the ones we have now.
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
      No doubt, I can see the need for a franchise back......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
        No doubt, I can see the need for a franchise back......
        did you watch sports center tonight

they had a piece about stewart and him being a beast on it
        sigpic
        -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
          He was definately more durable and just as productive.

Comment

I wouldnt mind us taking a franchise type back. But, this season I feel like it wouldnt have mattered if we had LT.

We had all across the offensive line first year starters, and first year with the team guys. These guys were filling in for a HOF type center, and one of our best offensive linemen for a long time. Lepsis was coming off an ACL injury, and certainly wasnt what he had been in the past. Remeber, in 05, he was regarded as a top 5 LT.

We had a second year QB. As great of strides Jay made this year, he still made mistakes. We had Stokely playing as our number 2 WR, where he should not be playing. We had no red zone recieving threat. In fact, for the most part, our only real threat catching the ball was Marshall. We had noone to stretch the field for us, and make sure those safeties stayed back.

Were paying Travis Henry a pretty penny, and Selvin doesnt appear to be going anywhere any time soon. If we have a chance to trade back and pick up some extra picks, Im all for taking Stewart. I dont like taking a back at 12, because it doesnt let us try and fill some of the other holes we need to fix. We need more picks.
            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

just posted on fox sports

Rashard Mendenhall vs. Jonathan Stewart

With a strong Combine, Jonathan Stewart could vault up draft boards. (Otto Greule Jr / Getty Images)
              Remember 1999 when Ricky Williams was the can't-miss No. 1 running back on the board, and then Indianapolis shocked everyone by picking Edgerrin James at four, one spot ahead of the Heisman winner? The Colts were roundly criticized at the time for going against conventional wisdom, but it was the right call. This year, Darren McFadden is considered the best running back available and might be a near-lock to go in the top five, but there are some whispers that Oregon's Stewart or Illinois' Mendenhall might be better, with some, like NFL Network's Mike Mayock, rating McFadden outside of the top 20. Mendenhall can do it all with good power and excellent breakaway speed once he gets into space, but he has to show a little wiggle and elusiveness. The 40 time isn't as important to him as the short shuttle and receiver drills. Stewart is even thicker and heavier than Mendenhall, but doesn't have the same power and has been injury prone. This weekend, he's directly competing with the Big Ten Player of the Year when it comes to the overall numbers. The winner of this battle will be the No. 2 back, and possibly No. 1 if McFadden slips.

Comment

Won't matter anymore. Kiss Mendenhall and Stewart goodbye.

So lets layoff the man crushes and start thinking DL/S in the first. Also trading down prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post

So lets layoff the man crushes and start thinking DL/S in the first. Also trading down prospects.

Yep, the Mendenhall/Stewart train got derailed. Or at least brought to a screeching halt.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post

BY all means I am not on any running back train. I want an all defense draft! But that being said Lancecane does make good points on henry,young and hall being injured. I think their injuries are more due to a lack of an offensive line than them not being able to take on hits.

Comment

change of heart

I used to be against a first round running back, but then I thought about it outside the box. Time of possession improves our defense. A scary running game improves our already brilliant passing game. 24 points in the first half makes things even easier for our defense. How many Hall of Fame players were on our Super Bowl defenses? None.

Defense is tricky. Immediate impact is extrememly rare. There are solutions in free agency and rounds after the first in the draft that are as good as any one shot defensive player in the first round. Jonathan Stewart, 233 pounds with 4.4 long speed, can make an immediate difference on our team. We need to at least be a threat to break a long run for a touchdown from anywhere on the field.

If Schmitt is sharing the backfield with him, all the pieces seem to fall into place. Put me on the caboose of the Stewart train please. And, I could use a cup of coffee.
                      vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

Do you guys think Henry taking a paycut should have any effect on the draft?

I think that if Shanahan does not take a RB in the first round, it means he never had any intention to, or that there is a better player to take (Or one that Shanahan THINKS is better).

Travis Henry taking a paycut has nothing to do with it, and imo, he'll be gone in 09 regardless of who is drafted in the 1st round this year.

Btw, there just isn't a LT in the Broncos 1st round plans......
                        Last edited by stnzed; 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X