Travis Henry likely to be cut? ... Rotoworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travis freaking Henry

I'm pissed, I had high hopes of us drafting RB, dreams of seeing Stewart or Mendenhall running the ball in a Broncos Uniform. Damnit. Well Desean Jackson or Clady it is, I still like Jeff Otah.

Why would we restructure him, if we are paying him alot per game like the article hints at, I'm going to be really pissed.

POSTED 9:52 a.m. EST, February 21, 2008

HENRY RESTRUCTURES FOR DENVER

Faced with a looming multi-million-dollar roster bonus like the one that got him cut from the Titans a year ago, Broncos running back Travis Henry has restructured his contract and will play for the team in 2008.

Henry was due to earn a $6 million option bonus on February 29. The Broncos likely would have dumped him if he hadn't altered the deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Henry gave up the option bonus to stay in Denver. It's unclear whether the amount was replaced with base salary or, for example, a per-game roster bonus tied to Henry's presence each week on the active 53-man roster.

Either way, it's a small price to pay in light of the unflagging support that Henry got from coach Mike Shanahan during the tailback's 2007 travails with the substance abuse policy.

Schefter also reports that, as of Thursday morning, the Broncos were $16.7 million under the projected salary cap of $116 million, due in part to an agreement by cornerback Dre' Bly to convert the bulk of his 2008 base salary into a guaranteed payment.

Per the Denver Post, the Broncos are trying to trade receiver Javon Walker and linebacker Ian Gold.
    New England Patriots GM

Comment

There's like a dozen threads on this already - why start a new one?

Comment

Where? I didnt see any and thats why I made one...
        New England Patriots GM

Comment

this just means he makes it to tranning camp, now if he gets cut there the cap hit will be alot less, and if he does good in tranning camp, then hey , thats good for the broncos also. i still hope we get a rb in the draft to compete with him (kevin smith) because even if he does do good in preseason, he likly will get hurt during the season.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stinky Pits View Post
            There's like a dozen threads on this already - why start a new one?
            Sorry didn't see one! Saw the thread of him possibly getting cut

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
              I'm pissed, I had high hopes of us drafting RB, dreams of seeing Stewart or Mendenhall running the ball in a Broncos Uniform. Damnit. Well Desean Jackson or Clady it is, I still like Jeff Otah.

Why would we restructure him, if we are paying him alot per game like the article hints at, I'm going to be really pissed.

POSTED 9:52 a.m. EST, February 21, 2008

HENRY RESTRUCTURES FOR DENVER

Faced with a looming multi-million-dollar roster bonus like the one that got him cut from the Titans a year ago, Broncos running back Travis Henry has restructured his contract and will play for the team in 2008.

Henry was due to earn a $6 million option bonus on February 29. The Broncos likely would have dumped him if he hadn't altered the deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Henry gave up the option bonus to stay in Denver. It's unclear whether the amount was replaced with base salary or, for example, a per-game roster bonus tied to Henry's presence each week on the active 53-man roster.

Either way, it's a small price to pay in light of the unflagging support that Henry got from coach Mike Shanahan during the tailback's 2007 travails with the substance abuse policy.

Schefter also reports that, as of Thursday morning, the Broncos were $16.7 million under the projected salary cap of $116 million, due in part to an agreement by cornerback Dre' Bly to convert the bulk of his 2008 base salary into a guaranteed payment.

Per the Denver Post, the Broncos are trying to trade receiver Javon Walker and linebacker Ian Gold.

It doesn't mean anything....we drafted Jay Cutler after going 13-3 and to the AFC Championship game with Jake Plummer...I would hardly call Tavis Henry's job situation safe, and it is not going to be lost on Shanahan that he has not stayed healthy over the vast majority of his career.

This development means exactly nothing when it comes to the Draft.

Comment

Quarterback is a bit different...you usually don't build your future with a running back. There are maybe five running backs in the league who are the largest part of their offense. Anyway, I'm glad to see Travis Henry returning. It would have been very stupid to draft a RB in the first round anyway, regardless of what a few of you guys wanted to happen.

Comment

I really hope you are right Mindfield.
                  New England Patriots GM

Comment

Just woke up and this only one I seen in FA/Draft forum about.

I am excited that this happened. Shanahan hopefully doesn't go with RB in first.

But, there is the possibility he goes WR/S*/DL* in the first.

* When i say safety I mean a tweener cb/s prospect who played cb in college but projects as safety in the pros. Denver would draft one to learn under Lynch and possibly play nickel back his rookie season.

** DL is just that DE or DT. Unfortunately no one knows whats running thru Shanny's head and sickenning as it may be there are a few mocks with Denver taking DE. DT is the most realistic possibility. Shanny loves to reach for the player he MUST have. So taking Balmer or Sims @ #12 is a huge possibility.

As for RB look for Shanny to address RB day 2 in 3rd or 4th. I would drool all over Kevin Smith, but a pounder is much more like it i.e. Matt Forte or Cory Boyd.

Comment

Look for WR/DT/S now in first.

Comment

Having a Great RB, drafted high, puts pressure on the player. We will expect alot out of him, and you know what, whatever takes pressure off Jay Cutler mentally, I'm all for. Did anyone see Stewart and Mendenhall in the skills challenges? They are both studs and I would take either of them, I just want some explosion on Offense next year, especially being at 12. Unless Sedrick Ellis or Dorsey fall to us, which they wont, then I'm all for us grabbing RB.
                        New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                          PS...Lancane,

Your hint that Shanny likes Henry should have been when Shanny publicly supported Henry. Shanny really went out of his way to show support.

If Shanny wanted to get rid of Henry, Shanny would have hoped that Henry was "guilty" of the drug charge and could have cut him without any salary cap hit.

Now run along and tell us how we are going to draft a RB with our 1st. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
                          Lancecane does make alot of good points like Travis Henry being injury prone. I am not on the mendenhall/stewart train but understand what he tries to say. The broncos have 3 running backs that cant't stay healthy but are productive when they are. Do we need a brusier at running back? Hell yes! Is it our top priority? Hell no! Will mendenhall/ stewart be the best person available? quite possibly. My question to Mr. Lancecane is with henry, young and hall being injured was it their fault or our lack of an offensive line that had no continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                            Did you forget the NFL admitted they made mistakes and it was based on a foul-up on their part, but otherwise he was still guilty. Have you forgotten that Henry has in seven years only finished one season with out injury or a drug infraction. Or that he has been benched by Buffalo and Tennessee in favor of different backs because of those reasons and how he eventually becomes unreliable in the long run. Excuse us if those reasons are not enough for you, but they are enough for the Broncos who according to Schefter and other sources have Henry on the trading block, I guess they are idiots as well!
                            I guess they must be idiots since Travis Henry will officially be returning next year.

I rest my case.

You may PM me to appologize.

Comment

It is likely we will wait till the end of the draft round 5-7 to take a back now with Henry Young and Hall all back and Mike Bell still potentially a HB.

Comment

I highly doubt we take a RB in the draft at all. Maybe a UFA given our recent success with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X