Travis Henry likely to be cut? ... Rotoworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess hope springs eternal.

There is virtually no chance of the Broncos drafting a running back in the first round. Using Cutler as an example is a sham. Cutler would not have been drafted if Jake the Fake hadn't screwed the pooch in the AFCCG. I don't care what Shanahan says, he didn't take Cutler because it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. He did it because he lost faith in the Fake. Laurence Maroney could be a Bronco today if it weren't for the Fake. All he had to do was not screw it up against the Steelers. They didn't even have to win the game, all the Fake had to do was play well enough to not be a big reason why they lost. Unfortunately, he was probably the single biggest reason they lost. There were other significant factors, but he played bad enough to make people believe his reputation as a quarterback that can't handle the pressure of a big game was deserved.

It would be a huge mistake for the Broncos to take a running back in the first round this year. It would seem obvious that the Broncos are confidant that Henry can stay healthy, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility that their decision was significantly motivated by the salary cap, given that they want to dump Walker and Gold. I'm not sure that they would still bring Henry back if they didn't think he could recover from his injuries. There had been speculation from some pundits that they were looking to dump Henry as well. The fact that they restructured his contract would seem to indicate otherwise. There is zero reason to believe the Broncos will draft a running back early in the draft.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Question -- did Henry exit the substance abuse program or not? Technically he should have if the NFL found him not guilty of offending again. That would mean he was no longer "1 mistake away" from being booted. I don't know if he was "re-enrolled" into the program after the appeal or not.

The resigning does mean we should have at least a decent returning RB corp, and I see us going back to the undrafted or late round "gem in the rough" philosophy.

I could see a first round RB still being good for us -- assuming nobody falls to us, the top RB's are still there, and we absolutely can't find a trading partner that will let us trade down to get positions of greater need at a more reasonable "price."

But whatever. As mentioned, Henry was great when he was healthy. He should have a lot of motivation this next year to go out and be spectacular. I don't mind him returning at all. Lets just hope he's able to keep away from those parties where he gets the secondhand MJ.
      Always a Broncos fan.

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
        good for him, now instead of a 1st rd back we can focus on a O-line guy to help henry be even better
        Henry had one of the best offensive lines while with Buffalo, multiple pro bowlers and he still ended up injured, if anything what I said the other day still holds true, Shanahan did not want to have to start a rookie...I still see us taking a halfback, with Henry restructuring he gets a year to prove himself before cut next year and can actually find a job! Will it be Mendenhall I hope so, but I also realize that Choice or Boyd are feesable options later, but I will not discount a day one back just because Henry is returning...lol.

Comment

If we were to cut him during training camp, what kind of hit would we take against the cap? Just his 08 base salary?
          Signature for rent.

Comment

We'll probably still draft one, however it's highly unlikely it'll be in the first round.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeofBlue View Post
              Question -- did Henry exit the substance abuse program or not? Technically he should have if the NFL found him not guilty of offending again. That would mean he was no longer "1 mistake away" from being booted. I don't know if he was "re-enrolled" into the program after the appeal or not.

The resigning does mean we should have at least a decent returning RB corp, and I see us going back to the undrafted or late round "gem in the rough" philosophy.

I could see a first round RB still being good for us -- assuming nobody falls to us, the top RB's are still there, and we absolutely can't find a trading partner that will let us trade down to get positions of greater need at a more reasonable "price."

But whatever. As mentioned, Henry was great when he was healthy. He should have a lot of motivation this next year to go out and be spectacular. I don't mind him returning at all. Lets just hope he's able to keep away from those parties where he gets the secondhand MJ.
              Henry is still in the substance abuse program. He was never taken out. Just because a player is scheduled to be removed from the program, it doesn't mean he will be. It's not automatic. If the league finds reason to keep a player in the program, they will keep in the program. I believe this was reported in an article about his case, but I can't remember exactly what was reported in that article or when it was reported.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                Henry had one of the best offensive lines while with Buffalo, multiple pro bowlers and he still ended up injured, if anything what I said the other day still holds true, Shanahan did not want to have to start a rookie...I still see us taking a halfback, with Henry restructuring he gets a year to prove himself before cut next year and can actually find a job! Will it be Mendenhall I hope so, but I also realize that Choice or Boyd are feesable options later, but I will not discount a day one back just because Henry is returning...lol.
                True but with young and hall also getting hurt I think the O-line had more to do with it then anything else.

Comment

:dance:Now the odds are better for gettin a an OT first round like i want! If Clady falls to us and we take him I'll jump for joy. Boys, RB is VERY deep this year, and we can find good talent back in the fourth round. Plus, I still like Henry a lot when hes healthy.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Young was injury prone his whole college carreer. I think hall has been injured quite a bit as well.

Face it, we have 3 china dolls posing as NFL RB's
                    Signature for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      I guess hope springs eternal.

There is virtually no chance of the Broncos drafting a running back in the first round. Using Cutler as an example is a sham. Cutler would not have been drafted if Jake the Fake hadn't screwed the pooch in the AFCCG. I don't care what Shanahan says, he didn't take Cutler because it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. He did it because he lost faith in the Fake. Laurence Maroney could be a Bronco today if it weren't for the Fake. All he had to do was not screw it up against the Steelers. They didn't even have to win the game, all the Fake had to do was play well enough to not be a big reason why they lost. Unfortunately, he was probably the single biggest reason they lost. There were other significant factors, but he played bad enough to make people believe his reputation as a quarterback that can't handle the pressure of a big game was deserved.

It would be a huge mistake for the Broncos to take a running back in the first round this year. It would seem obvious that the Broncos are confidant that Henry can stay healthy, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility that their decision was significantly motivated by the salary cap, given that they want to dump Walker and Gold. I'm not sure that they would still bring Henry back if they didn't think he could recover from his injuries. There had been speculation from some pundits that they were looking to dump Henry as well. The fact that they restructured his contract would seem to indicate otherwise. There is zero reason to believe the Broncos will draft a running back early in the draft.
                      No im not far off the rocker lee,

if you dont like it but thats fine people have opinions. Your opinion is that Jay wouldnt have been drafted if Jake did well in the AFCCG. If he did well and lost the SB we would have still drafted Jay. Instead we wouldnt have BMarshall as we would have to trade heavily to move up to grab Jay. Also who says thats what he wants others to think we wont draft an RB in the first round. The chances are he will just due to the value being there and to get someone whos better then the backs we have.

The thing is Henry is coming at the end of his rope as an RB, he cant stay healthy, He cant stay out of his problems and He's too much of a hassle for any kind of RB who's never really had a breakout season in his entire Career.

He's what stayed Healthy for what 1 year out of his 6 years, he's been in league problems for a while and cannot stay healthy.

Its stupid management on Shanahan's part if he doesnt add a back to cover for the shortfalls that Henry/Young/Hall have. Since the talent drops considerably after the 2nd round, it still means the best chance to finally get someone who's way better then the RB's we have right now is a whole lot better.
                      McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

It appears... right now... OT or WR are the most likely candidates... Being able to draft the #1 WR in this year's draft might be too good for Shanny to pass on (especially if he can grab a dynamic KR/PR guy).

I have no idea if Shanny is sold on Pears-Harris, or if he loves Williams-Clady or Otah-Baker...

BUT... If I had to venture a guess right now... I see Shanny looking to grab a WR... Unless, of course, a DT like Ellis falls to us (or if Balmer is too sexy for DEN).

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                          It appears... right now... OT or WR are the most likely candidates... Being able to draft the #1 WR in this year's draft might be too good for Shanny to pass on (especially if he can grab a dynamic KR/PR guy).

I have no idea if Shanny is sold on Pears-Harris, or if he loves Williams-Clady or Otah-Baker...

BUT... If I had to venture a guess right now... I see Shanny looking to grab a WR... Unless, of course, a DT like Ellis falls to us (or if Balmer is too sexy for DEN).

But who, do we target jackson?

He'll I rather keep Javon over Jackson. Theres barely any WR that has a solid Round 1 grade but Even Jackson himself is an unknown on how we'll he will do in Den, he was basically known as a Special teams Ace.

The Heavy favorite is OT but with the George Foster ordeal Shanny may be the term of "once bitten twice shy"

The other options that people dont want to Stomach are RB.

Those who will tolearte draft down is probably the higher probablity.
                          McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
                            But who, do we target jackson?

He'll I rather keep Javon over Jackson. Theres barely any WR that has a solid Round 1 grade but Even Jackson himself is an unknown on how we'll he will do in Den, he was basically known as a Special teams Ace.

The Heavy favorite is OT but with the George Foster ordeal Shanny may be the term of "once bitten twice shy"

The other options that people dont want to Stomach are RB.

Those who will tolearte draft down is probably the higher probablity.
                            Malcolm Kelly and Mario Manningham are the other 1st Round WR i have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
                              True but with young and hall also getting hurt I think the O-line had more to do with it then anything else.
                              Young and Henry are both injury proned athletes, the offensive line is not suppose to block for them all the way to the end zone, and football is a physical game. I do not care if we draft Otah, Baker and Williams...if they are injury proned - once they get knocked by a mean linebacker or hard hitting safety we will be in the same boat...we can not blame the offensive line for everything...lol. We will still draft a halfback, where is the question. I like Mendenhall, but right now I still think we are more likely to trade down and add more...

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                                Malcolm Kelly and Mario Manningham are the other 1st Round WR i have seen.
                                Manningham has durability Issues, so I doubt we'll target another injury prone WR.

Kelly has some work ethic questions on him, He has a little of a "Me" attitude.

So in the 1st round we got a duriblity question WR and 2 "me" type WR's.

Then we got an WR in the 2nd who's in high favor with our QB.

so TX77 which one do you think will Shanny target the WR in favor with our QB or the "ME" attitude WR's?

money says that he'll go for Bennett and Keep Cutler happy, A happy QB is a productive QB.

Comment

Working...
                                X